Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

There is way more to that story. It sucks to be Lennox but when you are a dog banned by (lovely) BSL and owned by a known dog-fighting gangster family who has pissed off the powers that be too many times you tend to get unlucky. Poor wee dog put in a bad situation by owners who knew full well it could/would happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

ButWhatIf posted:

A'ight, I'm going to have an opinion and it's going to be an unpopular one.

Not all ~traditional working purpose drives~ need to be kept in all cases. I posit that in this day and age, the average first world family does not require a dog for protection or guard work, and therefore, they should probably either a) find a breeder who makes a bombproof temperament a high priority or b) not purchase a dog of that breed (see maremma thread).

But ButWhatIf, you may cry, if everyone felt that way, your corgi would have low energy and zero herding drive and that would be sad, slippery slope and so forth! Yeah, well, we'd also see a lot fewer border collies in rescue. Seriously, you cannot throw a handful of gravel at a purebred rescue without hitting about a dozen border collies. So I'm not too sad that ~show ladeez~ have ruined some strains of border collie, or reinvented the AmStaff, or made some Great Pyrs okay with living in a house sometimes. Yeah, the dogs who are meant to be the most perfect representatives of their breed maybe ought to continue having those drives when appropriate, but it's time we sat down and honestly asked ourselves what we want from a dog, for real. In 2012, is it 100% necessary to have all dobermans doing actual protection work (not just "hey I hear the UPS man gonna bark about it") in the majority of households that own them? If so, what does this say about BSL? Also, how should we screen homes to decide where is appropriate to place puppies? Should the average city-dweller even have a doberman? WHY do we want a breed that's historically been bred for heightened neophobia?

I guess it's time we (dog people) took a long, hard look at what we consider necessary to keep as far as traditional purposes. If it truly is necessary, then maybe it's also time to discuss "field vs bench" versions of dogs whose drives are not manageable by people with 9-5 jobs and families to take care of.

I'm as gung-ho about having a dog that has drives to Do A Thing as the next (equally crazy herding breed enthusiast) person, but my dog's drive doesn't increase the probability of human aggression when exposed to the unfamiliar.

EDITED TO ADD: Just the fact alone that in America it is illegal to be a "guard dog trainer" leads me to believe that our values regarding this issue are not the same as they were when these breeds were being developed.

This made me twitch a bit- reckon it can continue here without causing explosions in the sky?

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

I admire both of your levels of self-control.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The quickest summary I can throw out is that the owners were far from stellar, but Lennox didn't deserve to die over it either. Who's surprised though? Because I'm sure not. Poor dog. This is such poo poo. :(

I think I've posted on this before- I have some personal connections to the case that I don't want to get into, but pretty much. The hysteria here about pits was mad, and our BSL is profoundly uncool. However, the owners had an alleged history of being allegedly incorrigible alleged 'urban revival' dog-fighters and were allegedly sufficiently unsure of Lennox's alleged temperament allegedly not to walk him unmuzzled. Allegedly.

It's a lovely situation but the owners knew exactly what they were getting into because they'd been prosecuted under the same BSL in the past- once a dog has been identified as possessing the breed characteristics of a pit, it's goodnight. They knew that, and chose to take the risk.

Currently trying not to rage-sperg on Facebook as everyone in Belfast goes 'OH NO LENNOX' having been the exact same loving people who've been screaming 'BAN THESE DEVIL DOGS' every time some poor abused fucker nails a child because the dog-fighters here stopped giving a gently caress about temperament and started encouraging HA.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

The behavioral stuff was a smokescreen, though. It doesn't matter if a pit bull in Northern Ireland is the best dog ever, its existence in the province is illegal and it cannot be exported. It can only be put down. The owners knew that.

Literally hundreds of Americans are appearing on every Facebook page to do with the city and spewing the most incredibly violent revenge fantasies against everyone who lives in Belfast. Makes a change from exporting weaponry for us to kill each other with, I suppose.

Filboid Studge fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 11, 2012

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Skizzles posted:

Does anyone have any sources about Lennox's owners being "less than stellar?" I'd like to find out more on that. As for the people shouting "BOYCOTT BELFAST!!!" I'm pretty sure most of those people never have or will have anything at all to do with Belfast, so uh... good... luck? Passion is great, but when it overrides reason it's incredibly irritating, imho.

No online sources but I know people who've been involved in prosecuting the family for dog-fighting in the past. I'm not going to get more specific as this is a small and dangerous city :)

Edited to add- the DDA that Notsoape is referring to only applies to England and Wales- the Northern Ireland legislation is stricter. The UK has three legal systems (E&W, Scotland, NI)- vaguely equivalent to states in the US.

Filboid Studge fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 12, 2012

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Please euth your cousin.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Ginny Field posted:

It's definitely off-putting to friends and relatives who only see her when she has energy to burn-- a lot of people think she's like that all the time and don't really believe me when I tell them that 90% of the day she's just snoozing at my feet or on my lap.

I have had that exact conversation about a BC. People look at you as though you're lying or being brainwashed by this dog that is smarter than you. She just gets really super aroused by different people, either by dancing for joy or raising the hackles and bark/growling depending on whether she knows them. I see this as a Good Thing provided she also cools off when told.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Cute because it's a pup, but fell from the ugly tree for sure.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Put them in a bad nursing home.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Think of the tables, man.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

notsoape posted:

I mean my cairns haven't been shiba-level assholes or anything, but yeah they will flip you the bird if there is something they want to do better than attend to your requests. In turn, Mouse isn't border-collie level obedient but oh my god it is fabulous to have a dog who actually comes racing in from the garden to give you kisses when you call her rather than going 'heh, gently caress you, I have things to pee on here' :byewhore:.

How's Mouse doing these days?

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

notsoape posted:

:negative: I was out basseting at the weekend and there were these two beddy/greyhound and beddy/whippet/collie/deerhound 4 month old puppies and they were both hairy and oh my god

Remind me again why I don't need another puppy right now ;-;

Because I need the deerhoundy one. Will rearrange life to fit.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

'Look what I found! These are for you because I LOVE YOU!'

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Nori is a very handsome dude. Hopefully being around your pack will help a little with them being shipped out so young :(

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Classic pit bull/cocker spaniel mixup there.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

My housemate's Staffie's second BFF is a mal bitch who is seriously enormous. She's the only dog he has met that will tolerate his boisterousness/strength combo. They've got a fastball special which consists of her lying down until he tries to hump her head, then she throws him as far as she can. It's awesome.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Collie Laser Vision from a potato is super cute!

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Pile of Kittens posted:

You missed the best part..

I guess most English people have their sense of humor surgically removed at a young age.

I'm Irish, but that's not fair. The English are a great bunch of lads (unless they're Tories) but no prosecutor anywhere has a sense of humour, least of all the beloved Crown Prosecution Service.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

HelloSailorSign posted:

You could also try the pepper spray that comes with an added dye. Learned about that stuff from one of the local cops as stray/loose dogs are all over the place here. That way, if someone starts reporting their dogs are being "abused" by strangers "spray painting" their dogs, and yet the dogs match the colors of the pepper spray, the cops then get the idea that the person's dog was loose and threatening people and instead remind them to keep their dogs on their property.

That would be very illegal in the UK, I'm afraid.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Re horses- wouldn't it be useful to distinguish between R- and P+ ? Aversives aren't negative reinforcement.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

kazmeyer posted:

My mom's had both her knees replaced, so I run a lot of her errands for her. Whenever she gives me cash, her credit card, or a check, her psychotic little maltese goes bananas. If he can reach it, he'll actually try to grab whatever it is to prevent me from taking it. He has no problem if she hands me a water bottle, her Kindle, anything else, but if it's any type of financial instrument he just loses his mind.

Possibly picking up on subtle body language.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Over two months since the last post here, holy poo poo. Guess facebook killed PI. I got kicked off cos I don't want my SA username and real name linked :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Fraction posted:

i miss rn

Not emptyquoting this

• Locked thread