Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
In the first picture his expression is basically HURR I AM DOG and that is goddamn adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Bad Munki posted:

Should have let it go in the woods so it'd have a ~fighting chance~

I have a family member that did this and god I loving hate her for it. The cat was probably mostly unsuitable to be rehomed quickly but it's not like Tulsa doesn't have no-kill shelters. I guess it's better for the cat to end up as hawk food than to have someone at your local shelter know you're giving up your pet.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 18, 2013

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

catamar posted:

Yeah, as unmarried renters of child-bearing age in Boston without a yard we had some trouble finding a dog locally. We got Gansett from a blind dog rescue that ships adopted dogs to New England from the south. I think generally the rescues that transport dogs north are more interested in finding a good home than in finding ~~The Dog's FURever Family.~~

They hardly asked us any questions - they said they'd turned down 2 other homes for him before we applied, but they both sounded like bad fits. One had a live-in grandmother with dementia who frequently walked out of the house and left the door open and the other was a blind couple who were looking for a blind companion for their seeing eye dogs?

I don't understand the crazy dog-lady poo poo that keeps these rescue groups from adopting out their pets. I understand they're afraid that the dogs are going to be immediately dumped back into the system by irresponsible owners, but aren't the irresponsible owners buying dogs from BYBs on craigslist and going to the pet store and poo poo? Isn't getting a rescue dog inherently something that shows responsibility in the first place?

There's seven or eight rescue groups in the greater tulsa area that require things that are, frankly, going overboard at best and an invasion of privacy at worst. While I understand you want to know that I'm not going to have to get rid of the dog because of my lease, or you want to make sure I have a job to pay for the dog, I'm not loving giving you a copy of my lease and my last three check stubs. I want a pet, not a mortgage. Then you go on their website and they've got dogs that've been in their 'foster homes' for 2+ years, and then the question is "Why are you even adopting it out, since it basically already lives with you?"

quote:

As for the wall post... Super you have been marked as one of them. From now on all other rescue ladies will know

Just think, you'll be in the grocery store, shopping, minding your own business, and all of a sudden a 40-something wearing a PIT ANGELZ shirt will approach you and demand you see pictures of her "Furkids". Once the smell is on you, it never wears off.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 4, 2013

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Robo Kitty posted:

The rescue cat ladies aren't much better than the crazy dog rescue ladies. One rescue made me go through a 45 min long phone interview that included questions from how much money I would be willing to pay for vet expenses to what I would do if I started dating someone who disliked cats. And then they asked what I would do if I had a child and the child developed allergies to the cat. :psyduck:

I ended up adopting from the local animal control shelter, where I just had to wait a few days because she was still in her stray hold period; otherwise I could have just walked out the same day with my cat. I did bring my lease with a pet agreement but they didn't even look at it.

Meanwhile sometimes I check the pet section of Craigslist and there are still cats listed for adoption that were available when I was pet-searching nearly two years ago. At that point haven't those rescuers basically adopted their "foster" cats?

To be honest, I suspect that being a "foster home" is just how some of these ladies tell themselves that they're not "the crazy cat lady". Considering how many cats there are and how many need homes, if they really cared about helping the cats as much as they say/think they do, they'd be adopting them out to anyone who showed the basic level of interest required to say "I think I want to rescue a cat rather than buy it from a pet store or BYB"

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Superconsndar posted:

Griff was surrendered because she was "out of control" and her owners were afraid of her. Since both animal control and a couple of rescues both deemed her too "aggressive" to be adoptable, I figured I was gonna be in for a bunch of major issues and the possibility of having to euth a human aggressive dog.

Turns out, no, she is a completely normal pit bull with mild resource guarding issues that seem to be completely gone after like two, hour long sessions of working on it. Like, we worked on it for two days and she just hasn't guarded anything since, it hasn't come up at all. She's vocal and growls easily which kinda threw me off at first, but turns out she's just weird and talks to herself loudly about not liking things- she's not actually threatening anyone and isn't going to bite- you'd think her owners would have like....realized that about her considering that they had her for 5 years. It was pretty obvious to me after like two days. :psyduck:

Even most of the growling has stopped now that she realizes she isn't going to get punished or scolded for existing. It's still really early to tell, and there could be things that haven't surfaced yet, but so far all of the issues she came with seem to be fixing themselves just from being treated normally. She even started doing crazy poo poo like RESPONDING TO HUMAN VOICES and WAGGING HER TAIL after a few days, woah!!!

It seriously bothers me how dumb you would have to be to take a completely reasonable dog and turn it into an anxiety ridden trainwreck that is incapable of interacting with anyone outside of defensively growling and guarding every random object it encounters. I really don't even think they were malicious, I just think they were THAT dumb.

They obviously weren't too afraid of her to not put her through at least one litter though!! :suicide:

We had a cockerspaniel/poodle mix (that we bought from a puppy mill. (:negative: It was the 80s, we didn't know) that used to do this. I don't think she could have ever been rehomed if we had tried, because she seemed aggressive towards everyone and everything, but she really just growled all the time about everything. I think it was just her way of talking. I loved that dog. :(

I imagine the owners probably believed some wive's tale bullshit that 'all we have to do is get a litter out of her and she'll get way more maternal and friendly', and then were absolutely shocked that that poo poo stopped as soon as the puppies were out the door. Hell, a litter of kittens made one of our cats more aggressive - once the kittens were out of the house, she went around viciously attacking every other cat because I'm pretty sure she thought the other cats ate her babies. :(

Stories like your dog's are probably a lot more common ever since this 'pitbulls are misunderstood fur babies' thing started up amongst hipsters and yuppies, and sadly I think this is just going to end up putting a lot more neglected dawgs into pounds.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Jesus loving christ he straight up punches the dog at the start. No wonder it bit him. gently caress. People think this guy can actually train dogs? Jesus christ! If this guy punched my dog in front of me I'd knock his loving teeth out!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Fraction posted:

I wonder if anyone has ever decided against using Milan because he wasn't violent enough :gonk:

At least Milan isn't Brad goddamn Pattison.

Look, wolves in the wild kill the wolves that won't fall into line in the pack. I'm just saying, if my trainer isn't willing to strangle my dog to death with his teeth to show dominance, my dog will never respect him.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Superconsndar posted:

omg I walked in on this earlier:

Someone is apparently over their Frankie phobia. :haw:

Your ~wounded angel~ is finally healing and becoming a real good furbaby.

All rescue jokes aside good job saving that dog :3:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

a life less posted:

I think it was probably a bit premature to get rid of the new dog. I'm not exactly a kid person, but I would have treated bringing the new dog into the house with a kid the same way I would bringing one into a house with another dog. Gates. Separation. No interaction whatsoever for a good 2-4 weeks until their presence is business as usual to each other.

Honestly it sounds more like getting the dog in the first place was premature. I can't count the number of times I looked at an ad on craigslist and really thought about getting a dog for myself (I want one, really badly) only to really sit down and think about the situation and realize how irresponsible it would be, given that we have 3 cats and live in an apartment and the situation just wouldn't be right. It's really easy to let your gut instinct of 'oh man i want a dog' kick in before you have a chance to sit back and think rationally about how big of a life changer having a dog around is going to be.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I got to play with a 15 week old English bulldog puppy last night :3: He was such a roly poly little thing with all kinds of extra skin. He was so ugly he was cute.

His name was Brute but everyone was calling him Meatwad. I think Meatwad is a great name for a bulldog.

Someday I would like to own an English Bulldog. I'd have to name him Roscoe or Carl or something and make him wear a bowler cap or derby hat all the time.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Ugh people could let me know beforehand if there is going to be a whole group out to watch me shear. And of course because there were small children around I cut the sheep's knee and it bled more than any cut I have ever seen before. The owner is a vet and really didn't give a poo poo at all but I was kind of horrified. The sheep also managed to bolt off my stand and I had to tackle him and finish on the ground in a puddle of blood.

After all that I didn't even want to charge the lady because it was such a mess and I felt awful but she paid me extra and gave me a lecture on how I should charge more when all I wanted to do was go home and wash off all the blood.

On the way home I stopped to shove a snapping turtle out of the road (again) and some Amish guy was watching me probably wondering why a small, blood covered lady was stopped in the middle of the road poking a turtle with her foot.

If this situation ever comes up again and they ask, tell them you just gave birth and you're trying to push your child off to sea. It's such a good opportunity to gently caress with the Amish.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

RG3 posted:

I have a good monkey story... Monkey got lose. Stole some Ambien out of the girls purse and ate it. Monkey was hosed up.

We speeded to five different vets ( hell we even got pulled over by a cop. I can't imagine what he was thinking) and none of them would do anything for us. Which I understand liability and all but come on....

We ended up making him throw up and he survived. Happy ending.

"The wild animal we keep took a major hypnotic drug that causes auditory and visual hallucinations and rapid mood swings, plus loss of judgement and inhibition, but don't worry guys, there's a happy ending - we made him throw it up and he lived!"

I don't know if you're expecting to win friends with these stories but every time you post you're saying something new and loving horrifying. If I have a bad reaction to Ambien I end up wanting to die about half the time, and I'm a 300 pound man. The fact that your monkey could get into it (god knows how much he took - One pill for him would be like taking ten for me) at all makes me worried and incredibly sad.

Edit: No, seriously, for those who are uninitiated, taking too much ambien can put you in hallucination hell. It's loving awful. You also lose pretty much all inhibition and judgement. You're loving lucky he didn't tear somebody's face off. God drat, what the gently caress.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Malalol posted:

So this is gunna be a very...odd..question about dominance but Ive come across this being touted as facts sooooooooooooooo.

In an argument against bestiality (sex with male dogs basically, I have no idea if they argue the same for females), they are saying that letting a male dog hump/sex/whatever a person will lead to dominance issues. Obviously, because the dog is fking you. Then leading to aggression, guarding, biting, marking in the house, humping other people, ALPHA MALE behaviors since you are no longer the master/owner/alpha/whathaveyou.

Doesnt that sound like total bunk? I dont want to sound like I'm condoning boning your dog but that sounds really farfetched. I can imagine a dog learning that humping people = okay and will do it with other people or inappropriate times but leading to biting people?

I am pretty sure this logic comes from the conceit that Dogs are too stupid to know that we're not also dogs, and that only Humans are aware of the differences between the species. The dog knows you're not another dog and your dog does not think he's the ALPHA DAWG of the pack.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Bash Ironfist posted:

Ugh. So I was walking Fartman, and he picked up a poop to eat. So I of course immediately stopped and started telling him to drop it in a firm voice. JUST as I was doing this, some dick driving by screams 'be nice to that dog!'. First off I wasn't loving beating my dog or anything. I was giving him a command. Second off gently caress you lady/dude(couldn't tell if it was a really fat lady or a guy, didn't see their face) keep your god damned nose out of my business. UGHHHH.

In a mostly unrelated 'drive by dog' story, when I was younger I used to be a shakerboarder for a Little Caesar's. (Wixom, Michigan - not that anyone cares :downs:) There was a lady who would drive by at around the same time every day, slow down to a crawl, stick her dog out the window and shout demeaning things at me in a little baby voice. I got heckled a lot on that job, but she was by far the weirdest and most regular heckler I had. She was in her 60s and drove a really nice car, and she thought it was goddamn hilarious. Lady must have heckled me with that drat dog a hundred times in 9 months.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

InEscape posted:

Guys Sarabi is so lonely. I want a second cat.

That's clearly the solution to a problem that's based in me never being home and having a tiny second floor apartment, right? Kittens?

We had three cats in a 500sqft apartment at one point, and we had plenty of space. Cats can get by fine with just vertical space, so make sure you have a cat tree or two and you'll be fine. Having a buddy to hang out with will probably help the cat a lot when you're not there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Demora posted:

I euthed some baby chickens this morning.

They were over easy and tasty over toast.

I had baby chicken twins the other day in a scramble over rice

I only buy jumbo pets these days because you get a double more often out of the same shell

• Locked thread