Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.
LOL you guys killed the thread.

Have a badass Pit Bull rocker. :3:

http://timracer.com/html/carvings/sally_01/sally_01.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

Nuns with Guns posted:

For some reason I was expecting that to be a pit bull with a guitar. A rocking horse pibble is almost as good.

Ask and ye shall receive:

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

notsoape posted:

Out of interest, what size 'pack' are the PI dog people eventually aiming for? I'm keeping one spot open for another small lurcher in the next few years- hopefully a Mouse daughter, if she does well in the field - but three dogs (two being my very own, Dan is really a family dog) will be my limit for the foreseeable future.
Three or four personal dogs sounds like a good number. Since I plan to rescue/foster Pit Bulls, there will always be more dogs in the house and I can't really go overboard with permanent residents. :shobon:

Fraction posted:

On that note, what breeds are people interested in owning at some point in their lives?

APBT's and MAYBE a molosser like a Rottweiler or Argentine Dogo or something. It'd be nice to have a protection dog, since (good) Pits are useless for that.

Azrael Alexander fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 24, 2012

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

adventure in the sandbox posted:

And I've never had a toy/companion breed. Akita x 2, BC/Lab/mutt thing, GSD x 2.

Here's Delta on a one hour winter hike:

And Sigma being way too cute:

They both lay like that, with their nose alongside their paw :3:

Your dogs are frikkin' beautiful :3:

Fraction posted:

I saw a lady with a Pomeranian on the canal today. They were ambling along at a nice little speed and must have been going for at least 40 minutes, in the midday heat. Not all companions are lazy!

To be fair, Bostons are brachy breeds, and even on a cool day 40 mins of exercise would be too much for them at once. Poms are small, but not really a "couch dog" in the sense that Bostons are.

Azrael Alexander fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 25, 2012

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

notsoape posted:

Now let's talk about breeds we would never in a million years own
American Bully. :smug: Anything really high-energy like a BC or Aussie would have me tearing my hair out in a week. I dislike the typical "pursedog"; Bichons, Yorkies, toy poodles, etc. I don't mind Poms as much, probably because my childhood dog was a Pom, but I'm just not a fan of toy breeds in general. I would never want a Chow - I think they can be great dogs, but they're too standoffish and unfriendly for my tastes. They just tend to be a bit more extreme than other primitive breeds, from my experience. I love Beagles, but the baying...no thanks.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Citizen Rat posted:

If I can punt it, I don't want it.
I am going to shamelessly steal this from you and attempt to use it in conversation sometime. It's so perfect. :iamafag:

And lol, yeah, Pits can be clingy, but I tend to see that more in dogs who don't get enough attention and exercise to begin with. My Pit mix always wants to be near me, but he's not in my face unless he's bored/anxious/wants something from me. But I love dogs who love attention, so I wouldn't mind having a total velcro dog. :3: That's one of the reasons why I love Pibbles so much. Totally a people oriented/motivated breed.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Bear Rape posted:

Question: why the dislike for AmBulls? I've not seen/heard much about them other than what I know of my own dog (American Bulldog x lab mix) so I'm curious if there's something specifically weird about them (like how boxers have short lifespans, anything like that) :ohdear:

Of course, the dog I own now is a mix of two dogs I would probably not pursue a breeder about.

Maybe I'm weird, but I could totally fall asleep to the sound of hounds baying. I was raised around them and I remember how loud they can be if you're right up near them, but it's still not that bad to me. I prefer that to higher-pitched barking and growling that a non-hound would do.

We're (at least I am) talking about American Bullies, not American Bulldogs. :downs: I actually really like American Bulldogs. Ambullies are those squat, bowlegged monstrosities with enormous blockheads that people like to pretend are Pit Bulls. Like this:

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

wtftastic posted:

- bull terriers (I'm not sure if I could manage the drive on them that well).

Show bred BTs are not really all that hard to manage. Some display prey drive and/or DA, but it's not as common as it is in APBTs or SBTs, and is usually fairly easy to manage as they're not really bred for anything other than to look pretty.

BT's are another breed I really wouldn't mind owning. They're neat dogs, I'd like to look into maybe rescuing one in the future. :3:

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

One time my dog pooped on a tree. Like, he went to lift his leg on it, but then he turned around and shat on the tree trunk instead. I didn't clean it up.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Hasn't someone posted about their dog that not only poops onto tree trunks but walks circles around them while doing it?

WHY DO I HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT?

You mean there are more tree trunk poopers out there...?

Perhaps they are the indigo children of dogs. Their strange behavior is only an indicator of a higher intelligence. The tree trunk poopers (TTP) are destined for greatness.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

2tomorrow posted:

So I just have to brag on my GSD a little. We went for a walk today and he was totally nuts because he hasn't gotten much exercise the last couple of days (we've been traveling). About 10 minutes into the walk we ran into this frail 90 year old woman and her adult daughter. They asked if she could pet George because she'd had GSDs her whole life but was in assisted living now and couldn't. I was a little worried because he was so rambunctious, but I said okay because I could tell it meant a lot to her and I figured I could just keep a tight hold on his leash to keep him from jumping on her.

Yeah, I had no call to worry. George walked up to her and sat down without being asked and gently licked her fingers, then didn't move a muscle as she scratched his ears and told me about her favorite Shepherds and I told her about his history. She even bent down and kissed his nose and he was just perfect. :3: Then as soon as we'd moved on he went right back to jumping all the hell over the place.

It was really sweet. I'm so happy to have this dog back. The more time I spend with him the more I realize what a loving cool dog he is. He's just never been given much of a chance to show it.

That's so awesome. Good doggy. :3:

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Jack = Blackjack, but we just call him Jack. His christian name is Bumbo, though. After the rubber baby seat. It just seemed appropriate, because he's made of rubber and is a baby.

Bella is Bella because my cousin couldn't think outside the box, and just picked the most popular girldog name of the moment. Luckily it has nothing to do with Twilight.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

idiot dog owner posted:

Bit is a wonderful dog, however my boyfriend moved here from Tennessee 2 months ago and one of my female dogs and she had got into a scuff today, for some unknown reason while we were outside. Not sure who started the fight but I have requested she be placed to a loving home. Bit has been good with all the dogs prior to this. she is great with all people and has been hauled to tons of horse shows and she will work cattle. She is Fully Housebroke, loves the couch..spayed . and very well mannered To A Good Home Only...
Two dogs got into a scuffle, so the only option is to get rid of the dog, even though you don't even know if this is the dog that started the fight...? :psyduck:

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

OMG you guys. :3:

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Cless Alvein posted:

This is Kiya. She is my little princess.

I had a Husky named Kiya (Kaya) too. :3: She lived to be 17 and was the most awesome dog ever. :3: Happy birthday Kiya!

Hahaha, I just noticed that you gave her a Mcgangbang for a cake. That's awesome.

Azrael Alexander fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 3, 2012

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Malalol posted:

Hoping to meet this boy soon. Hes about 40lb I think, about 2 years old? Or 1+. good with dogs, not with cats. But if I can talk with the current owner, Ill get a better idea of his personality. That face is ridiculous though, I love it.
And I am going to return Luna in a few days. Its the best solution for both her and our household, even if I really really like her. Sad. : (
That's a drat good lookin' dog. :3:

Speaking of handsome dogs, I totally want this guy:
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22462609

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

FlyingFish posted:

(What kind of dog is that, I'm terrible with dog breeds...)

Looks like a standard poodle with a natural clip, or maybe an Otterhound? Could be a Golden Doodle, even. Or maybe a mix of some sort.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

It just looked poodle-ish to me. :shobon: I've seen goldendoodles who look a lot like that.

fake edit: I didn't think there was such thing as a truly hypoallergenic breed? I know some breeds aggravate allergies less, but aren't hypoallergenic.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Apidae posted:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have an idea of what Jax here is?

Likely an ACD cross, what with the freckles, ears and barrel-shape, but with what else? I haven't seen him in person but he looks really long and low.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some Pit in there. Maybe Pit/ACD/Shepherd? Or something.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Bash Ironfist posted:

Nah, not nervous about them at all. I'm just saying a pit bull is a bit more intimidating than a chihuahua, who tries to frighten it's enemies by trembling all over. :v: Sorry if it came across as something else! Didn't mean it like that.
Chihuahuas can be mean little bastards. I've been bitten pretty badly by small dogs; of course, that's not to say that a bigger dog won't do more damage when they decide to bite, because they will. Bigger dogs can do more damage because, well, they're bigger.

Pit Bulls don't have special teeth. They have regular dog teeth. I know you're not ragging on them or trying to be negative, but they're teeth aren't "serious business" any more than any other medium/large dog. Teeth size/bite strength is pretty much relative to the size of the dog, as a NatGeo study pretty much proved - between an APBT, GSD, and a Rottweiler, the largest dog (Rottie) had the strongest bite and the smallest dog (Pit Bull) had the weakest.

In other news, I'm kind of conflicted, because I met an Ambully the other day that was a really cool dude. He was so friendly and happy and he just loved everybody. :3: I almost feel bad for being so hard on them, but I know what a genetic mess they are and that they can be unstable because of how badly they're bred. I'd just never met one before, and I was surprised by what a great dog he was. I guess I just feel bad for demonizing them so much. :smith:

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Kerfuffle posted:

Oh I know, I've just always assumed that "Ambully" was shorthand for American Bulldog. Kind like GSD or APBT. :shobon: I never thought those particular dogs had a name at all.
Yep, the breed name is American Bully, shortened to Ambully. People are starting to identify them as a separate breed rather than just calling them Pit Bulls now, but there is still a lot of confusion amongst the public about what and what isn't a Pit Bull, and unfortunately a lot of people think that those ARE Pit Bulls. It's really the main reason I have a problem with the breed in the first place - an American Bully bites somebody, and it's almost definitely going to be reported as a "Pit Bull attack". This has already happened many times. It's not so much that I hate the breed itself; I hate the fact that they are lumped in with real APBTs, and on top of it are short lived and riddled with health problems. It's really very sad. :(

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

I see your dogvan and raise you...the Sheltie Stroller.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

:aaa: Every time I look I see another dog in there.

They had a second stroller, also full of Shelties, but I didn't get a picture. :saddowns:

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

ChairmanMeow posted:

Well at least they understand the importance of walking their dogs.

Hehe, they were at an adoption/show off your dawg event, so I guess it's ok. I do hope they get non-stroller walks though.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Radio! posted:

One of my parents' extremely obese cats stole a pancake from me once. At entire pancake.

The next day he tried to make off with a whole container of coconut macaroons.
We once had a cat who would steal entire bags of potato chips, drag them off, and growl menacingly at anyone who tried to take them away. It took two people + gloves to get his potato chips away from him. :catstare: We have no idea how he developed such a ravenous lust for potato chips, as he was hand-reared and never ate any people food besides the occasional bit of lunchmeat or cheese. He even had chicken as a part of his daily meals. But for whatever reason, of you had potato chips, watch out.

Also our old husky/shepherd Kaya used to lick things. Walls, floors, a broom - she would just lick them, for 10+ minutes sometimes. She would turn her nose up at anything that wasn't dry kibble or meat - anything else was a no go.

Our current pets don't really have any weird eating habits, but Bella will eat anything. I think it has to do with being starved as a puppy and probably having to scrounge through the house for things to eat (her first owners sucked) but you have to be really careful about where and what you throw away, because she'll eat it. It doesn't even have to be food - napkins, tea bags, food wrappers - as log as it was vaguely associated with food at some point, she'll eat it. We also had to rush her to the e-vet once because she ate roughly half of a full 28lb bag of Chicken Soup. She later repeated this with cat food, and since then we've started locking the cupboard so she can't weasel her way in there and eat herself to death (putting a heavy chair in front didn't work).

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

We found a mummified cat on our roof today while we were fixing the chimney. :( It'd be sad even if it was a strange cat, but about a month ago my aunts cat got outside and didn't come home again. We found tufts of tabby hair strewn around in front of our house, and assumed he'd gotten killed by a neighborhood dog. He always used to hang out on the roof (I tried my best to inspire an inside-only cat rule in the house, but she doesn't believe in indoor-only cats and since he had been an outdoor cat for the better part of 14 years, I didn't worry so much about him) and we assume that he went up there after he was attacked and died. I have this really empty feeling, knowing that he was just lying above us rotting away and we never knew. We gave him a proper burial, but it just feels so wrong. He was such a noble old cat and he deserved to die peacefully when the time was right, not gravely injured up on a roof. :smith: The worst part is that my aunt still won't change her stance on outdoor cats, and is constantly being irresponsible about making sure my mothers cat doesn't get out. It's been a really lovely day so far.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Kerfuffle posted:

Am I the only one who would feel really uncomfortable using a collar/leash on a puppy that small?
When my childhood Pom was a puppy, we had him over at my aunts house. He was on a flexi-leash (those were dark times) and it snapped while we were outside playing with him. Long story short, my Aunt put one of her 60lb GSD mixes leashes on a 3lb Pomeranian puppy and his foot went right through the clip and got stuck. We had to take him to the vet to remove it.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Best part of that is that some p.o.s Razors Edge dog is 1000x more likely to "attack" someone than any FIGHTIN' DAWG. Also, wat.

Speaking of Pits, the sweetest little pittie girl was running loose in our neighborhood and found her way onto our porch. I didn't see an owner anywhere in the vicinity, so I put a leash on her and went looking for them. She had a collar on, so I figured she wasn't a stray/dumped. She was a bit too thin, you could see her hip bones/spine a bit, but she was otherwise in good shape and seemed healthy and happy. All the neighborhood kids crowded around her and were petting her and she just loved every minute of it. :3: Finally found her owners, though it looked like they had only started searching for her by the time I got to them. I really hated their attitude - they were so "meh" about the whole thing. If my dog was missing I'd be freaking the hell out. Either way I was happy I got her back home and out of harms way, though I'll be keeping an eye out in case she gets out again. Totally wanted to steal that dog. :ninja:

Also, she had a docked tail for some reason. Got me thinking - I know they probably just did it because lol it looks cool or possibly for a medical reason, but docking your pits tail would be a good way to avoid bsl/apartment bans/etc. People see a medium sized dog with a docked tail and it will be a lot easier to believe that it's just some Boxer mutt. Dunno if I'd dock my dogs tail just for that, though.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

ChairmanMeow posted:

I know some one else probably has a lot more info, but I thought it was standard MO among many so they didn't get their ears and tails torn into by hogs. I have no idea where you live though. Where I'm from obviously isn't the animal care capital but that might be their thinking.
I live in Ohio, so it's pretty unlikely that she's a hoggin' dawg. Groudhoggin' dog, maybe. We've got plenty of those. :iamafag:

Shifty Pony posted:

Maybe this is more common than you would expect? When I was house hunting I was told that some of the apartment complexes and landlords around here were starting to not allow unregistered boxers because people were trying to pass off pit mixes as boxer mixes. Rather than get into arguments or bother with actually checking some places just banned them. That's totally hearsay though in a "real estate person heard another real estate person saying they talked to a landlord that said another landlord told them..." kinda way.
If that's true, that's completely ridiculous. :( "Well it looks like it kinda sorta could be a Pit Bull so it's obviously going to viciously maul someone. Gotta ban it."

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The dog and black and tan pup are more what I think. I'm not fond of the black pup's face.
Is the black pup a Newfie?

edit: oh my god oh my god oh my god

quote:

The American Staffordshire terrier and the Staffordshire bull terrier descended from the same lines. The prototype originally sprang from crossing the old type of bulldog with some old terrier types, probably the English sooth terrier. The result was aptly called the "bull and terrier," later to be dubbed the Staffordshire bull terrier. The dogs gained fame among fanciers of dog fighting, a popular sport despite its having been declared illegal. Their fighting ability gained them passage to America in the late 1800s, where they dominated the fighting "pits." Here they became known as the pit bull terrier, American bull terrier and even Yankee terrier. Americans favored a slightly bigger dog than the English preferred, and with time the two strains diverged. In 1936, the AKC recognized the breed as the Staffordshire terrier (the name was changed in 1972 to American Staffordshire terrier). Docility and tractability have always been vital traits in a powerful dog that must be handled even in the midst of a dog fight; therefore, the Am Staff evolved to have a sweet and trustworthy disposition around people. Unfortunately, this game dog has too often appealed to people seeking it for its fighting rather than its loving abilities.
All time it was the noble Amstaff who came first. I'd love to know how they bred the blue out of them. :allears:

Azrael Alexander fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 25, 2012

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Aravenna posted:

On the other hand, a friend of mine recently decided that since she hasn't been successful in becoming pregnant, she would get a pit bull puppy instead because she wanted a baby something. Oooookay.
I would much rather have a Pit Bull than a baby. I say good choice.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Greycious posted:

HEY GUYS. I just found out something really incredible! American Pit Bull Terriers, as well as American Staffordshire Terriers are both "Snub nosed" dog breeds!

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/special_travel_needs/pet_travel_information/pet_requirements_restrictions/index.jsp#top

According to Delta airlines, at least.

Good job, that is the perfect reason for you to ban pibbles and bully breeds from the airplane. Deem them to have "snub noses". :golfclap:
I'm sure they are glad they found some way to ban those VICIOUS BABY EATERS.

What in the holy loving gently caress.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Skizzles posted:

But Super! I need a real super good source to combat hard-hitting, objective info like this!: http://www.dogsbite.org/dangerous-dogs-pit-bull-owners.php

If this site is all about hating Pit Bulls, why do they list attacks by other dog breeds in their "family dog attacks" page...?

LifeFlight Needed After Two Bullmastiffs Attack Boy

When a Family Rottweiler Has a Bad Day

Family Chow-Mix Hospitalizes 5-Year-Old in Lubbock

Chow-Mix Attack Requires LifeFlight Helicopter

2008 Dog Bite Fatality: 1-Year Old Erie Girl Killed by Family Dog (article does not even specify the breed or mix)

2008 Dog Bite Fatality: Tulsa Infant Killed by Labrador

2008 Dog Bite Fatality: Video of Millcreek Attack; English Sheepdog Statistics

2008 Dog Bite Fatality: Alexis Hennessy, 6-Days Old, Killed By Family Dog (Husky)

2008 Dog Bite Fatality: 3-Day Old Infant Killed by Family Dog (Husky)

Family Dog Attacks Toddler in Angelina County (no breed specified)

Family Rottweilers Attack 1 and Half Year-Old Child in Phoenix

2009 Dog Bite Fatality: Olivia Rozek, 3-Weeks Old, Killed by Family Husky

2009 Dog Bite Fatality: Brianna Shanor, 8-Years Old, Killed by Chained Dog (Rottweiler mix)

7-Year Old Jackson County Boy in Critical Condition After Mauling (Shar - Pei Chow mix)

Parenting Website Questions if Pit Bulls and Children Mix (This isn't even an attack report...?)

2009 Dog Bite Fatality: Great-Aunt's Rottweiler-Mix Kills 20-Month Old Boy

2010 Dog Bite Fatality: 'Ax Men' Jesse Browning's Stepdaughter Killed by Rottweiler

2010 Dog Bite Fatality: Rottweilers at Home One Day Kill Baby on Iowa Tribal Land

2010 Dog Bite Fatality: Boyfriend's Dogs Suspected in Death of 5-Year Old ("Wolf Hybrids")

2009 Dog Bite Fatality: Alex Angulo, 4-Years Old Mauled to Death by Rottweiler

2010 Dog Bite Fatality: Military Family Dog Kills 2-Year Old Boy in Tierrasanta (German Shepherd mix)

2011 Dog Bite Fatality: Young Girl Killed by Grandfather's Japanese Akita

2010 Dog Bite Fatality: Houston-Area Baby Girl Killed by Family Rottweiler

2011 Dog Bite Fatality: Frankfort Girl Mauled to Death by Pet Rottweiler

2011 Dog Bite Fatality: Rottweilers Kill 3-Year Old Girl in Delaware County, Iowa

2011 Dog Bite Fatality: 4-Year Old Boy Killed by Grandfather's Rottweiler in Ozark

2011 Dog Bite Fatality: 9-Day Old Infant Mauled to Death by Family Dogs
(pit bull, bulldog, Alaskan malamute, German shepherd and a mixed breed)

2012 Dog Bite Fatality: Newborn Dies After Severe Dog Bites in McKeesport (Husky)

2012 Dog Bite Fatality: 2-Month Old Child Killed by Family Dog
http://www.dogsbite.org/img/retriever-mix-fatal-dog-attack.jpg
The people in the comments section are of course saying this is a Pit Bull mix. Naturally.

2012 Dog Bite Fatality: 1-Year Old Henderson Boy Killed by Family Dog (Mastiff)

http://blog.dogsbite.org/2010/02/2010-fatality-3-year-old-mauled-to.html (American Bulldogs)

http://blog.dogsbite.org/2009/05/steelers-star-james-harrisons-pit-bull.html
:allears:
http://blog.dogsbite.org/2009/11/4-year-old-boy-killed-by-pit-bull-type.html
Possibly an American Bulldog or mix, not sure on this one.
http://blog.dogsbite.org/2008/11/family-pit-bull-mauls-toddler-in.html
UPDATE 11/17/08: KTEN news has revised their original story. The dog is now being called an American bulldog. In addition, KTEN removed the Ardmore Animal Control paragraph, but it still survives in cache. Specifically, it said: "Ardmore Animal Control says children are often attacked by pit bulls because they don't like eye contact at their level and small children are just the right height, but this was one of the worst attacks they've ever seen."
:stare:
http://www.dogsbite.org/blog/2007/12/martina-jennings-sentenced-to-4-years.html
I don't even...what.
http://blog.dogsbite.org/2008/08/flashback-ava-price-22-months-old.html
"London - In December of 2007, a 22-month old girl received 25 stitches in her face after being bitten by the family pit bull. The girl's mother, Melissa Price, said her daughter Ava had backed the dog into a corner and was taunting the dog with a bone. She believed the dog tried to grab the bone, but instead it clamped down the child's cheek and tore it off."
:allears:

Ugh I was going to go through them all but I'm burned out. Very few of the articles had photos of the dogs but I'm sure I'd have a field day if they did.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Superconsndar posted:

Why. You know what you want, get it. People wring their hands so much because I ~bought a pit bull~ when there are ~so many in shelters~ and lol, guess what, I'm gonna buy a million more forever and I give 0 gently caress. Some people want something too specific to get from a shelter or rescue.
There's nothing wrong with having a conscience about shelter pets, either. Most of the pets in my house would probably be dead right now if we hadn't adopted them. I definitely agree that sometimes an owners wants/needs are too specific for a shelter dog to fill, but I typically reserve that opinion for working dogs/service dogs/police dogs etc. If you want an animal purely as a companion and don't plan on doing any serious work with it, why not get a shelter dog? I know that you "don't care" about shelter dogs, Super, and I understand somewhat why you have that opinion. But a lot of people do care, and it IS hard to think about purchasing a puppy when there are no doubt several equally deserving puppies on death row in local shelters. I wanted an OFRN pitbull like Moses for a long time, and I would still love to have one, buy my opinions have really changed regarding shelter dogs and breeding and I just don't see myself buying a Pit Bull in good conscience, at least not any time soon.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Bash Ironfist posted:

A shelter dog or not, as long as the dog isn't from a mill and you don't abuse the poo poo out of it, kill it, or abandon it, then who cares?

I really don't care. I don't judge anyone for buying a dog from a breeder or even a byb dog as long as, like you said, it isn't from a puppy mill. Even then, I don't judge them, though I do get angry if someone refuses to admit or believe that it's a lovely thing to do. If you take care of your dog, then that's all that matters. But there's nothing wrong with feeling some guilt when choosing to buy from a breeder over adopting. Good breeders don't add to the population problem, and they help to preserve breeds as they are meant to be. Good breeders are a great thing, and I don't want them to go away nor do I want people to stop buying from them. Now I'm probably a bit too soft, but I've met so many amazing dogs who were just rotting away in shelters and I'd like to change that situation for as many of them as possible. As awesome as well-bred, correct APBTs are, realistically, I don't need one. I don't want to go hogging, I don't want to be a breeder. I could get the same satisfaction from a shelter Pit Bull as I could from a correct one. For me to buy one of those dogs would be a waste, because I wouldn't be helping them live up to their full potential and I could have pulled a dog off of death row instead.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Superconsndar posted:

Okay. So don't. I was specifically responding to Captain Foxy's guilt over possibly not getting a shelter dog + people sperging out when people decide to buy rather than rescue, not people's choices TO get a shelter dog?
I know you were. I just think you dismiss their guilt too easily, when it really can be a big mental struggle for some people.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Fraction posted:

To everyone else with multiple dogs: do you think it's possible to be completely impartial with your dogs and not have a/any favourites?

The dogs I live with don't really belong to me, so I'm not bonded with them like I would be with my own dog. I've honestly felt more of connection with shelter dogs I volunteer with than I do with them, but that's probably mainly because their personalities don't really suit me. One is stubborn as hell and very non responsive to commands, and the other is a neurotic mess with severe separation anxiety and resource guarding issues. They both have good traits and I love them, but I love all dogs to a certain extent, so yeah.

Is it bad to say that I like any random Pit Bull I meet on the street better than the dogs I live with...?

Also I have confirmed that my aunt is, indeed, crazy. Today she told me that the campaign to spay and neuter your pets is "propaganda by dog breeders so you will have no choice but to buy a $1000 dollar dog from them".

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Bash Ironfist posted:

Oh no, sorry to hear that SuperTwo. Hope she gets better soon!

Took Feldman to Petco to look at those easy lead harnesses. poo poo's 30 bucks! I was like 'no this is too expensive.'

Ended up buying him a pack of bully sticks and a tug-a-jug, spent 30 dollars. :downs:

Easy walkers are expensive, but they really are worth it. If your dog pulls at all you'd be happy to have it.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Superconsndar posted:

A coworker is dumping their great dane mix (the latest of a revolving door of dogs she gets and half assedly takes care of for 6 months before deciding she "can't give them what they need" and dumps them via craigslist) because she's "too hyper!!" and she "can't afford her health problems!!!" (she's got mild skin allergies and she refuses to take her off of crappy food so she gets cheap steroid shots.) Okay fine, whatever, dump dog # 2138932489 and do your thing, none of my business.

Suddenly, amidst this dog dumping drama, she corners me and starts asking me about Boston Terriers. It didn't even compute why she was asking at all until she goes YEAH I THINK THAT'S WHAT I WANT.

It is really, really hard to stay out of her public facebook meltdowns about how it's so unfair that rescues are giving her a hard time about dumping her dog while she's already actively searching for a replacement. Her husband just got deployed, which is why she supposedly doesn't have time for her current dog, so logically, she should get....a puppy. :cripes:

I'm trying so hard to be good. I keep reminding myself that I have to work with this person.

This sounds like the people I work with. There are two of them who are constantly recycling their animals and I have to work very hard to control my sperg rage at them. The one woman has been through two dogs, a cat, and a rabbit so far in the year I have worked with her, and currently has a kitten who she is supposedly allergic to, so now she's going to get rid of her as well. But not before she gets a ~~*New Puppy*~~ for whatever reason. The other woman was going to have her cat put down because she was "too old" (11) and was peeing on things. I told her that the cat probably had a UTI and that 11 was really not too old for a cat, and she seemed to kind of halfway almost listen to me, but I have no idea what actually happened to the poor cat. Now she has a kitten and a Pit/Boxer mix she's trying to get rid of. These people refer to their animals as "it" and seem to form no real emotional attachment to them whatsoever, so I really don't understand why they keep getting more and then dumping them off or having them put down when they become too inconvenient for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

I decided to look at my local Craigslist for shits and giggles/more reasons to be angry...instead I found this:
http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/pet/3113160975.html
I saw this dog while I was out riding my bike yesterday. :( If it wasn't so late now I'd go out looking for her. I feel really guilty now; she was sniffing around in someones yard and I watched her for awhile, because she wasn't wearing a collar. She didn't stray out of the yard she was in, and I just assumed that some dope let her out without a leash, as people in my neighborhood tend to do. I sent an email to the owner and I'm going to go out looking for her tomorrow, but I just feel awful, especially since it's been so hot out. :( Poor dog.

• Locked thread