Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Malachite_Dragon posted:

But 'penis' is a bad, bad, dirty word :qq:

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenis. Penis. Pee pee pee pee pee penis.

Wanna join the PEN15 club?

Penis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

prom candy posted:

Been there, dogg.

Right? Pinot grigio is delicious but insidious.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
I die a little every day when I come home and there are two Pomeranians bouncing around and ecstatic to see me. Heaven right now is a pile of fluffy, bouncy Poms.

MUST STAY STRONG

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

notsoape posted:

Now let's talk about breeds we would never in a million years own

Until I got Bridget I didn't want a dog at all, so...I wouldn't own anything but Poms.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

TVs Ian posted:

Yay! :hfive:

Y'know what's really surprisingly endearing? Tiny little wolf howls at 4am from a blanket nest inside a crate :3: Also, no accidents while we were at work today!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you. I came home to poopacalypse. Beau woke me up last night with the runs and every hour after that, causing me to sleep through my alarm and get to work a half hour late. I came back home two hours later to let him out and everything was fine, but two hours after that...

It was in my loving hair how did it get in my hair oh god

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Brillig posted:

I hope you never end up having to survive the horrors I experienced in a house that was also doomed by ants. It is is terrifying to have a small hole suddenly appear in the wall of your bedroom as hundreds of winged ants swarm the room. It is disgusting to wake up in the morning to find that literally overnight a shelf full of movies and games was turned into an ant nursery. I will never forget the way a VHS looks when it is filled to the brim with ant eggs and larva. Never. :gonk:

I hate ants. If I ever see one single ant in my home now I go on red alert. And I freak out with bug spray if there is even a tiny trail of them.

Thank you for tonight's nightmare.

:catstare:

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Yeeeeah, I'm just over the mythological names, especially Freya/Freja/whatever. Final Fantasy and WoW is most likely where the modern popularity comes from anyway. There's, like, a couple layers of poseur right there.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Fraction posted:

I have no idea who Aeris is sooooo

Final Fantasy, again.

FF ruins everything.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
I give my pets random names. The girls so far have been French in nature, because I'm a terribly pretentious frog and relish calling a cat Genevieve.

All my electronics are named after characters from the Alien movies.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

dog days are over posted:

;_; I'm biased of course but she's so beautiful

Dude. That really is a beautiful dog. :stare:

I never think dogs are beautiful.

PI, what have you done to me?

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
So I was at the vet yesterday getting Beau his second round of shots when I overheard a conversation the doctor was having with someone about 1-800-Pet-Meds being terribad. He said a lot of their product comes from France, and France has poo poo laws about generic pet medications and can pretty much reprint brand name boxes and throw whatever they want inside them. Has anyone else heard this? I'm not finding much online. I don't use them but I thought I'd let you all know in case it's true. :tinfoil:

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Shifty Pony posted:

I too have started the adoption process. I decided that a catte was a much better fit for where I am at the moment.

Meet Bebe, who I hope to be bringing home at some point in a week or so.

Hi, Bebe! You're loving adorable! Dem whiskers. :swoon:

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

paisleyfox posted:

Dem whiskers is right! That cat is so luxurious! :3:

I love how she looks like she's lounging on a fainting couch, in a kind of "draw me like one of your French girls" way.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
I live in Las Vegas and roaches are pretty much everywhere. They get in the house through the front door all the time. My cat Chief likes to sit there, laying in wait for some poor, unfortunate critter to wriggle its way through the weather stripping.

Most days I just come downstairs and find only legs on the floor.

:smugdog:

(WTB :smugcat:)

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

NatashaQuick posted:

Oh God I hate how roaches can just crawl under the door no problems. I think the cats have saved us from them setting up camp many times in the past. They did the same thing with a mouse. He's chomped on house centipedes and stuff, but the scariest thing was when I caught him chasing a brown recluse. Now I'm on the third floor so we don't have to worry about roaches and just get various spiders, but every single night they're loving everywhere on the sidewalk outside :cry: The cats will triumphantly kill anything, but they will not eat spiders and cockroaches. Most anything that flies gets chomped, it's pretty great. I can just yell bug and get at least one cat, wide eyed and excited to kill a thing.

Omg, yes. When Genevieve (my fluffy, fussy, smooshy, gorgeous tortie) was younger she came in from the garage with a black widow in her mouth. The body was entirely inside her mouth, with only the horrible legs wiggling and twitching outside. I never hit my animals, but drat if I didn't slap that thing right out of her face. I had to race her to get to it afterward and squish it with my foot. That bitch was huge, too.

loving desert.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:allears: We had black widows when Gabe and Sarah were actually WITH us. I can't tell you how many of those they murdered. This was on the east coast.

I miss my cats.

The only black widow I've ever seen outside of the Mojave desert was in a glass case at the Boston Museum of Science when I was a kid. Please tell me they don't live in the northeast. I'll loving cry.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
My cat Chief sleeps like the dead and he's done it ever since he was a tiny kitten. For the first few months it freaked me out to the point where I'd wake up in the middle of the night and hold a mirror in front of his nose just to see if he was breathing. Nowadays (he's six) I like to mess with him by lifting and dropping his legs and pushing him around the bed. :3:

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

RazorBunny posted:

Fellow cat owners, how often do you find yourself saying "Look at this loving cat!" to other people in your household?

Because I realized that I end up saying it at least once a day in regard to something Nibbler has done.

For some reason this manifests in my household as "...his face!" Usually because it's Chief doing something stupid and looking completely stupid when his stupid plans don't work out.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
I have good news, too! Beau's mudbutt cleared up yesterday so no more pom bombs! The GF got a lengthy lecture about giving him peanut butter (which gave him mudbutt a month ago, too) and hopefully when I get the fecal back this afternoon I'll get the all-clear to go ahead with his scheduled neuter tomorrow. I absolutely cannot wait until his hormones peter out.

Also, he lifts his leg so high when he pees it rains back down onto him. I have a true boy dog.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Beau is nutless and coned! For shame, Beau. For shame.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Hnnnnnnnnnng, those whiskers. THOSE FEETS. Wanna stick my finger in them.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:3::3: It may sound weird I know but this is the best loving thing to do. It's even better when the cat just accepts it and glares at you, or doesn't even look up and just kinda clenches his paw and squeezes your fingertip, like Tux does :kimchi:

This. Sometimes I gently tug on the toehairs until they spread their toes so wide that I can reach on in and fiddle with their bones. :3: Rufus used to lay on his back and let me give him foot massages. The absolute best. :3:

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Our local no-kill calls dogs of questionable lineage Heinz57. It cracks me up whenever I come across it in their breed listings.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
See, I get the opposite problem. For some reason my two poms are dude magnets, especially Bridget. Only a couple of months ago this random guy pulled up along side me in his Escalade and said, "drat, that's a pretty dog," and drove off. Little boys go apeshit for her, too. There's even one in my neighborhood who politely asks to pet her every time he sees her.

I will admit that guys who have cats turn me into a puddle of goo, though. I absolutely loving loathe those stupid stick figure family decals on cars, but one day I saw one in the back window of a truck that was a guy in a tie and seven cats trailing next to him and I was all :3:.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Plus_Infinity posted:

me too. My boyfriend has a cat (well, we live together now, so now *we* have a cat) and I thought it was the cutest thing.

Also, check this out: http://menandcats.tumblr.com/ :3:

YES. This reminds me, too...A few days ago I posted in Yappy Rats about how my very ~manly~ construction worker boss wants a "yorkiepoo" because they're Cute and he likes Cute Dogs (he's also a cat lady but can't have them because his wife's crazy allergic). I've been helping him scour shelters for the dog he wants.

Also also there's a pet salon here in town called Doggy Styles owned by this huge Samoan dude. He has an adorable little white pom that he routinely dresses up and he even dyes her tail hot pink, and the salon is COVERED in glamour-type framed photos of her in tiny convertibles/wearing biker jackets/dripping in diamonds and it's the BEST THING. Every time he grooms Genevieve for me he makes sure she smells like violets and puts a prissy bow around her neck and la la la la la.

The last time I was there I met his wife.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

RazorBunny posted:

It's not so bad Aravenna, I've been getting guesses of 30 since I was about 19 (after growing out the Mohawk, that is...). Lately people have been assuming I'm older than my husband, who's 11 years my senior.

I'm told it's because of my "mature bearing," :smug:

According to your pics in the cosplay thread, their eyes are broken. You look super young to me. :psyduck:

Brillig posted:

And just to vent some crazy cat lady emotions... Oh man I'm about to go on vacation for a week for the first time ever. And even though my cats are going to have a petsitter/housesitter the whole time, I am going to miss them so bad. I'm worried about which one is going to be the most pathetic and sad without me. How am I going to wake up in the morning without them annoying me?!

Call home every day and ask to speak to the cats! My girlfriend does this all the time when she's away and oddly enough, Genevieve seems to really enjoy it. There's always a little bit of a spring in her step after she gets rub her face on the phone and listen to her mama babble.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Pretty sure I'm gonna die tonight.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
This show is the greatest thing that has happened reality-wise since Bridalplasty ended. :getin:

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Instant Jellyfish posted:

As terrible and trashy as it is, at least Honey Boo Boo's family all seem to care about each other (except for the other girls' fathers who may be in jail). Plus they're always happy and seem to realize how ridiculous they look to the world. The Toddlers in Tiaras families all seem to sort of hate each other and are super wrapped up in their ~full glitz~ insanity.

Yes, this. They have so much fun and don't give a poo poo about what anyone thinks. It's fantastic.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
There's an entire thread dedicated to your goonmail needs! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3400714

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Shifty Pony posted:

But he is inside! Clearly he is the best dog because he is inside and those other jerk dogs are outside where it isn't as awesome.

Is giving a dog/cat as a present a common thing? It just seems off unless you know they are actively hunting for a puppy/kitten to get right away and you give them a chance to go meet the dog/cat, but at that point you pretty much are reduced to saying "if you find a pet you like I'll pay for it".

The Christmas following the loss of my old Persian, my mother made a gift certificate for a feline of my choice from the Humane Society and put it on the tree. It was the best Christmas ever. :3:

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

pastor of muppets posted:

This is pretty much the only appropriate way to gift a pet, IMO. That's adorable. :3:

Coincidentally, my birthday following my own Persian's death, my now-fiance took me to the SPCA to pick out a cat. which is how I ended up with my Rocky.

EDIT: Here's a bonus pic of my dearly departed Persian from years ago, looking happy and healthy.

It's been three years and I still tear up when I think about him. He was the sweetest cat in the world. Poor guy lived 13 years with a ton of health problems and eventually died of congestive heart failure. I would have thought my mom would have learned her lesson about buying animals from lovely breeders after everything this poor guy went through, but apparently not. :(

Kinda weird, but Rocky looks just like the kitty I adopted, except she had bright green eyes. I named her Pickles and she lived until the ripe old age of 14.

Here's the old bastard that Pickles followed.

His name was Charlie (short for some impossibly stupid show cat name like Charlemagne de Something Something de Fantakat). My aunt bred him and used him to stud some gorgeous little kittens that went off to win shows and stuff. To me he was just my Charlie. :3:

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Aravenna posted:

The PetEdge catalog has a bunch of pet nail polishes, all different colors and shimmer and glitter and everything. For $2.39 a bottle. I keep wondering how, at that price, it compares to Wet N Wild and Sally Hansen and whatever other drug store brands, and if it would make me more of a crazy dog lady or a crazy nail polish lady to buy a few bottles. For me, I mean. Although me and Quaffle having matching green glitter nails would be pretty amazing.

Ohhhh I just noticed it's buy five get one free...

The only thing I could imagine being different is they probably use a quick dry formula. But you can get that with Sally Hansen or any other brand, really.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Oh, mickeymickey...I am so, so sorry. I'm always sad whenever anyone makes a post about losing a pet but I literally gasped when I read the first line of your post. It seems like just yesterday you were showing us pics of your little worrywart for the first time. :sympathy:

This probably isn't the urn site you were looking for, but it's the company I used when Rufus passed away earlier this year. They're local to me (Las Vegas) and did everything on-site, but I'm sure they could accommodate you. I even had them put some of his ashes in a heart pendant that I wear. http://www.petcremationnevada.com/default.aspx

:sympathy:

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

wtftastic posted:

Pomeranians are sassy and literally don't give a gently caress about you (sometimes), but they also really rely on you and they have their favorite person. If you are that favorite person, then its pretty awesome.

Also if you aren't very strong or are crappy at training dogs, they're a lot less intimidating.

I love Pom sass. It makes me laugh every time Bridget gives me the hairy eyeball and goes about her merry little way. If I press the issue she'll do what she's told, but not without heaving a huge, petulant sigh. Beau's way more independent and can be frustrating at times, but he's definitely the sweeter of the two and is madly in love with me. Waking up with a small fuzzy radiator snoring on his back in your armpit is the best thing. :3:

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Shifty Pony posted:

I knew that dogs would move and such in their dreams but I didn't know cats would do it. Sadie was in her bed (which she is too big for) in my office and I noticed she was dreaming and twitching her toes and whiskers. I was close up watching her and "awww"ing to myself when she had a start and woke up. She gave me the best "what the gently caress are you doing?" reactions I've ever seen. It was like something straight out of those dramatic animal youtube videos.

Oh, did I mention I had my camera on? Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq8JuOsOYX0

I think Sadie's my new favorite PI kitty. That face. :3:

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Every dog I meet eventually becomes Poochie, and if I refer to them in general they're woofies. "Hey, Poochie...what's new?" and "let's take the woofies to the park!"

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Peanut butter gives my dogs the shits.

The end.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

sleeping ariadne posted:

I don't want drag down the thread with despair or anything, but I'm really torn about what to do. My boyfriend and I are currently living with his dad while we're both broke students. His dad has two cats, but since we moved in (over a year ago), we've taken over day to day care of them (feeding, brushing, patting and snuggling). The boy cat, Salem, stopped eating a couple of days ago, so we took him to the vet. He's still there, they have no idea what's wrong after an ultrasound, blood test, urine test and monitoring. It's not his kidneys or his liver, or cancer as far as the vet can tell. He is an older cat (12ish), and he's obviously been slowing down, but this was really sudden. They're switching him to a stronger antibiotic tomorrow, but the vet has gently suggested our options might be limited if that doesn't work. Boyfriend's dad is paying all the vet bills (well over $1200 now), so I completely understand him not being ready to keep fruitlessly testing for things that may not be fixable.

Anyway, I've never had a pet be put down before. My childhood dog is still going strong as a 16 year old lady. I just don't know what to do. My first instinct was to want to be there with him, but then I can't help thinking about how much of a cry baby I am. I don't want his last experience to be me sobbing all over him. I guess he won't know he won't be waking up when they put him to sleep, will it be more peaceful without me there? Is it selfish to want to be there? Is it selfish to NOT want to be there? Oh god, I'm weeping already :(

Please don't feel guilty if you don't think you can handle being there with him. It's a peaceful passing, and any good vet will make it as comfortable for your cat as possible. Mine provided a feather bed, candles, and a sedative to calm my Rufus down. My girlfriend couldn't handle it and had to leave while I held him the whole time (and for about an half our after), and it was the best way for both of us. Rufus went quickly and peacefully. It's okay if you don't want to be there and have those memories. It really is. :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Ugh, about seven years ago when I adopted Genevieve as a kitten she was super sick and needed a lot of meds/recovery, so spaying right away wasn't really an option. Time passed in the blink of an eye (as it tends to do) and pretty soon she was a year old and still hadn't had her first heat, so we didn't stress it. She was very small but the vet gave her a clean bill of health and we all just figured she was developing slowly because of her previous illness. Then my roommate found a tiny black and white kitten in the middle of the Mojave Desert and brought her home. She couldn't have been more than two months old and was raggedy as poo poo, so we nursed her to good health and right at the three month mark: BAM. Heat. We couldn't loving believe it. Within six hours of this new kitten going into heat Genevieve's little body suddenly went "wait, what" and HER heat began, too. Two cats, both in heat.

Misery.

So, yeah. Props to those of you who can responsibly deal with and like intact animals, but it's just not for me and my fuzzballs.

Edit: After the heat/spay went down she went into hyperdrive and is now a normal-sized cat. Her fur also grew three inches. It was like a little switch went off in her body, like human puberty.

Rufus En Fuego fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 12, 2012

• Locked thread