Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
One of the local rescue people just posted this on Facebook:

quote:

URGENT DONATION NEED: Boy George and Elton John need Penis Surgery (seriously)
These two siblings were orphans who took to nursing on each others.... this caused some significant damage to their ... and while healing nicely, it has healed too nicely and their opening to urinate has sealed shut. Boy George has received a catheter for now to keep the prepuce open and Elton John will need one tomorrow or Friday if he does not urinate tonight. Vet thinks that the openings will most likely heal shut again and both kittens will need a PU surgery (Perineal urethrostomy) in approx 2 weeks if we can wait that long so they are a little bigger for surgery. They will basically lose their .... and a new opening will be made so they can go tee tee. Dr. Gandy has agreed to give us a significant discount on the surgeries (has only seen one other case like this) but we still need to cover about $1400.00 total for the boys to get the care they need. The surgery gives them a great prognosis, and just a higher risk of UTIs down the road. They are so sweet and sociable, highly adoptable!

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
My ferrets were Guybrush Threepwood (Gus), Bobbin Threadbare (Bear), and...Revan, since I couldn't convince myself that either Grim Fandango or Manny Calaveras were good ferret names. Also Jak was really John Henry, named after the racehorse.

Quaffle was going to be Frankel, also named after the racehorse, but I decided I didn't want to have to explain to people that my dog wasn't named after Bethenny, but rather after her racehorse trainer father, so I turned to Harry Potter instead. Quaffle was the most original Potter name I could find (it's one of the balls used in Quidditch). I think a big wolfy-looking dog having a squishy name like Quaffle is hilarious. Really he thinks his name is Stinky though.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

Whatever you just did was apparently very stupid, in Nori's opinion.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
When I went to pick up Quaffle at day care yesterday, there was a chihuahua...thing in the lobby. I'm hoping it was maybe a chi/pug mix, but I'm afraid it was just a really, really, REALLY fat chi. It looked like a large potato with a chihuahua head and wheezed the whole time. It was being picked up from boarding. They carried it out in a crate. No walking for potato chis, nope.

Quaffle apparently ran and played SO HARD yesterday that he is hobbling around today. His poor muscles just couldn't take it. I've been running my hands all over his legs to see if he hurt himself anywhere but he doesn't flinch at all. He just pushed himself too hard I guess. Dumb dog.

Here he is last night after coming home. I love that his pink-and-black pawpads show up here. :3:

As for eating things, Quaffle has eaten: frozen broccoli stolen off the counter, an eggshell he found on a walk, a hot dog bun he found on a walk (it is a serious effort to keep him away from "food" on walks, I'm getting better at it though), and the other day he attempted to eat a fortune from a fortune cookie that he found on the floor. Also I opened up a box of bandaids and he came running and begged for one. He thinks his heartworm pills are treats. Luckily he also thinks his own food is just as fantastic.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

Azrael Alexander posted:

Our current pets don't really have any weird eating habits, but Bella will eat anything. I think it has to do with being starved as a puppy and probably having to scrounge through the house for things to eat (her first owners sucked)

Actually, that's something I didn't really think about. Quaffle was a stray before we adopted him from a rescue, so that would probably explain the desperate lunging at hot dog buns/egg shells/clay rocks (oooookay) while we're out on walks.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

By "Italian Greyhound/Rat Terrier cross" I assume they meant African Wild Dog/Deer. I would play with those ears all day long.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
One of my local shelters just posted about a Boston/Dachshund mix that's available. It's like someone thought that both Bostons and Dachshunds just work too well and decided to do something about that.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Today at the office I heard one of my coworkers talking about an adorable pit bull puppy he found and was considering keeping it, but "we're about to have a baby and I don't want the dog to eat it". Seriously. I thought people thinking pit bulls were baby eaters was a PI exaggeration :negative:

On the other hand, a friend of mine recently decided that since she hasn't been successful in becoming pregnant, she would get a pit bull puppy instead because she wanted a baby something. Oooookay.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

Azrael Alexander posted:

I would much rather have a Pit Bull than a baby. I say good choice.

Oh I agree, but after months of hearing constant "I want a baby" talk, it was a little odd for her to suddenly decide on a puppy instead.

More people should choose puppies instead.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Nori's little legs kicking so hard is so painfully cute I'm gonna dieeeeeee

Yesterday I left a piece of cornbread wrapped in foil on the back of the counter thinking Quaffle wouldn't get to it. Later he came prancing happily into my bedroom with it in his mouth and gave it to me like he thought I would unwrap it for him. I don't think so, dog.

Aravenna fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 28, 2012

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
The lawn care guy came into the house today and Quaffle immediately ran up to him and leaned against him to get petted. Never met him before. You're a great watchdog, Quaffle. :mad:

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Poor Eva. :( I'm afraid Quaffle is going to get a faceful of wasp one day because he likes to chase bugs and is dumb. Yesterday I found the beginnings of a wasp nest on the interior of my passenger side car door (like not the part that's inside the car, but on the width of the door, that you can only see when the door is open). Not pleased. Luckily it's been too hot to leave him outside for long so he doesn't have much chance to chase them, although he does keep asking to go out and I end up having to practically drag him back inside. It was 104 yesterday and he wanted to stay out there.

My parents left on a trip to Canada. Before leaving, my mom hugged me. Then my dad hugged me. Then Quaffle jumped up on me and wrapped his paws around me. WTF dog, you are not going too!

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Why are there so many people on Craigslist giving away 8 to 12 week old puppies? I could understand if they owned the mom, but no, these are just single puppies and the excuses are things like "my older dog doesn't like him" or "I don't have time for him". When and how did these people get these puppies?

I also found multiple people selling 5 and 6 week old puppies and someone else getting rid of a 9 week old pit puppy "because he is deaf". And someone giving away a ten month old brown and white puppy, while at the same time looking for a brown and white husky puppy (I guess brown and white dogs are awesome). I need to stop going to Craigslist.

My favorite: someone looking for a monkey to hire for their two year old's birthday party.

Wait, here is someone selling custom made dog dresses, in sizes up to Great Dane. This poor dog:
http://huntsville.craigslist.org/pet/3066547804.html

Aravenna fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 3, 2012

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Happy 4th of July! Quaffle got a hot dog, french fries, and macaroni salad. He ate them kind of slowly and suspiciously though like he thought it was a trick or maybe I was trying to poison him. :ohdear:

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Quaffle isn't reacting either, except when I go outside to watch, he stands just inside the door with his normal derpy expression, wagging his tail. But he won't take one step outside, he just watches me like he thinks I'm retarded for risking my life out there when I could be in our nice safe bunker of a house instead.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
MSNBC is having a Lock Up marathon today (it's a documentary reality show about prisons) and the one that was just on had a segment about a cat adoption program at one of the prisons. The prisoners, even ones on death row, adopt a cat from a local shelter. It saves a cat's life and gives the prisoners something to focus on that will give them affection and companionship. Prison kitties. :3:

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Or maybe they meant dogs were bad for chickens.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Look, you stare at him peeing all the time, why shouldn't he get to stare at you while you do it?

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
I have that Champion harness for Quaffle too, and I have to say that it is really heavy and well made so I can't imagine how it could fail during a crash. There are no load-bearing buckles on the harness, and once you have the harness strap/leash/whatever hooked onto it, it doesn't even need the buckles in order to stay on. I attach the strap to the middle seat belt buckle because he's a big dog and I don't know how well the seat belt strap would hold him during normal driving. I like how the attachment point can rotate from one side of the dog to the other, so I can strap him down sort of tight without the harness pulling him sideways. I'm afraid to give him too much leeway because I drive a Civic and he doesn't have far to go until he hits the front seat anyway. Luckily for me he mostly just wants to lay down and stare out the car window.

Seriously, this thing is so heavy duty that a normal leash can't hook around those attachment rings; you need a coupler or a carabiner or something. The harness strap (which you use to connect the harness to the seatbelt) has a bull snap on it instead of a regular snap hook like on a leash.

The only problem is wrestling him into it due to the design, but he thinks that part is a game I think. :)

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

Serella posted:

Does anyone else ever have issues while browsing Penis Land of their pets getting envious? I just want to tell all the adorable pretty kitties (and the occasional tiny pom-pom dog) on screen how beautiful they are and also that I love them, and my cat keeps getting all up in my grill thinking that I'm talking to him or that I should be.

YOU ARE NOT A PRETTY CAT LIKE THE ONES ON THE INTERNET. GEEZ, LEAVE ME ALONE. <:mad:>

I like when someone posts a video because then I can play it for Quaffle so he can join in on the Penis Land fun. It would be easier if he'd learn to read though.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Ires really likes to play dog pong. Dog pong is where the puppy rips back and forth between the two walls in the living room like they're pong panels, slamming into them full force (I don't know, she has no brakes).

Except Ires kinda broke her own game last night and ended up partially through one of the walls. It's already fine and patched, and she's fine, but the drat puppy literally threw herself through a wall. Why?

Quaffle goes running/bouncing/hopping/knocking himself into things, including the wall, when I get his food out. I've always been worried that one day he will manage to go right through the wall, and now this story makes me even more worried. Thanks. :mad:

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

Superconsndar posted:

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGgggggggggg I wanna havedisdog you guys :qq:

http://columbusga.craigslist.org/pet/3145664395.html

I wonder if they'll trade her for Frankie :( :(

What about a red male, someone on my local Craigslist is looking trade one for either a 32 inch flatscreen tv or an xBox 360 (all cords included, please).

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

notsoape posted:

Pretty sure one of the Crufts' BIS winners had skinfold removal surgery - I think the Peke?

Wait, how is that allowed? Do you mean after it was done with its showing career, or was it allowed to show after having surgery?

I mean, my sport (Thoroughbred racing) may have problems, but at least our animals are functional. :(

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
I don't understand any of that, especially why a Fisher Price firehouse seemed like a good toy for puppies, buuuut okay they seem to like squishing in there I guess.

Today I took Quaffle up to the Green Mountain nature trail, which was fun until a) it got hot, b) it started raining (which the tree canopy only partially helped), and c) I kept coming to intersections in the trail with no signs indicating which way I should go. I started having visions of having to teach Quaffle to hunt rabbits or something, and that we would become known as the Wild Girl of Green Mountain and Her Faithful Wolf Companion. I had been under the impression that it was more of a paved sidewalk park with a single loop around a lake so I hadn't bothered to check for a map when we started. Quaffle was perfectly happy though because this meant a thousand more trees for him to pee on.

The BEST part of the day though was when we went to Petsmart. I've only brought him there once, about a week after we got him, and he was half crazy, running back and forth on the leash, pulling hard, barking at the other dogs, trying to lick all the merchandise, and generally just being a giant pain. But ever since then, he's been fine on walks, fine at the dog park/dog day care, and was fine when we passed dogs on the trail today, so I decided to try again. He was SO GOOD. He stayed right next to me except for a little sniffing at the aisles. When I stopped walking he leaned against me so I would pet him, and when other people came up to pet he just stood there calmly and didn't try to jump all over them. Even for a six year old girl. There was a class going on and one of the dogs kept barking but he totally ignored it. Now, he LOVES being petted so that was never part of the problem, but I guess the first time I took him he was just overstimulated and still not really comfortable with us, so it makes me really happy to see how much he's settled down since then. :D

The only bad thing was when a group of teenagers was petting him, we discovered a tick on his face from the nature trail. It was still crawling so it was easy to get off but still ugh. When we got home I obsessively checked him over and didn't find anymore, but now I am paranoid. :(

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Is it weird that I'm worried that if I take Max somewhere that someone will see him and go "that's my dog!!" and want him back?

He's SO GOOD that I can't imagine that anyone would just dump him or not look for him if he ran off. He was clearly a house dog and he knows how to sit and lay down and has excellent manners (Example: I spilled a little bit of his food on the kitchen floor this morning and he didn't eat any of it until I gave him permission to clean it up for me). I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around why anyone would abandon this dog. He was picked up as a stray and the shelter had him for a month before we took him home, so his former owners had more than enough time to come get him if they really wanted him.

I got Quaffle in February and I still feel exactly like this. I'm also afraid someone is just going to steal him some day because he's so awesome. I don't get why someone would go through all the annoying puppy stage stuff then miss out on all the great adult dog stuff by just letting him wander off and not try to find him.

Their loss.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Quaffle leans against me constantly and sleeps on my bed. Clearly I am his bitch.

Sometimes he actually leans so hard I have to brace him with my hand before I move away. :3:

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
The doorbell has rung twice this morning, both times for people who wanted to talk to me about Jesus (well one wanted me to go to a back to school thing at the church, kids AND Jesus, yay!). Quaffle barked both times the bell rang. Quaffle NEVER barks at the door. Somehow he KNEW. I have a dog who instinctively warns me about proselytizers. GOOD DOG

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Quaffle is "Grumblestiltskin" because he grunts like an old man whenever he lays down. He thinks his name is Stinky though...like that's the name he answers to when we're out in public. I should probably be more embarrassed about that.

My mom does the high-pitched, excited squeaky dog voice at him because she thinks it's funny how excited he gets, but then when he tries to jump to her/lick her she freaks out because she actually doesn't like dogs very much and she's horrified at the thought of one licking her. She's being so brave talking to him like that though and I'm proud of her!

Today is his six month Adoptaversary! He got a Slim Jim and a piece of Pop Tart.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
I have the hat, the coat, and the wolfdog, so I am 75% of the way to achieving my childhood dream of being Natty Gann. All I need now is John Cusack.

Alternately I've been told that the hat and coat make me look like Anastasia from the cartoon, who now that I think about it also ended up with John Cusack. There is a Theme.

I'm not posting an actual picture of myself because it is pathetic how I'm 35 and yet look like a 16 year old orphan.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
I like to play a game called Nose Boop with Quaffle. If I manage to boop his nose with my nose, I get a point. If he licks my nose first though, he gets a point. This is pretty much the only game that he understands.

Also if Quaffle hears the word "no" he decides that means we're paying attention to him now so it's time to PET MEEEEEEE and he no longer cares about whatever it was he was trying to do previously. Unless it was trying to get us to pet him, in which case he will lay down somewhere nearby and stare sadly at us, sending guilt rays directly into our brains until we feel bad and PET MEEEEEEE

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Quaffle has suddenly started baying out of the blue. Up until now he'd only do single barks, and only at people when he specifically wanted something from them (PET MEEEEEE) but today he was baying his fool head off at a helicopter overhead like he thought he had treed it or something. Sooooo maybe he is part coonhound or something after all. Do non-hound breeds bay? Between this and his Chewbacca-style howly talking that he got from his husky or malamute ancestors he sure does make weird noises.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Yeah I'm in Alabama and he's 72 pounds, so I'm thinking coonhound rather than beagle. And it's definitely baying, my grandfather and uncle raised hunting beagles so I know the difference between that and barking. :) It is LOUD, louder than I've heard from any of the other dogs in the neighborhood, and a totally different tone. The hound look is mostly in his head and ears, it's hard to get it to come out in pictures but he has a pretty houndy head and his ears are really low set (in the pictures he usually has them pricked so they look higher than they really are).

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

demozthenes posted:

Isn't he a GSD/Husky mix or something? Huskies howl all the time - generally pretty loudly - but if you've got any houndy-looking photos then I'd love to see 'em. Usually the ears are the obvious tell - I've never seen a large scenthound mix that didn't have the long droopy ears.

A friend of mine briefly fostered a husky/pit mix and you could hear it howling from down the block. :3:

He is (we think, either that or malamute) but when he's doing the husky/mal howly-talky thing it is a totally different tone from this new baying. My family is from the deep south and we've been around lots of hunting hounds, so I'm absolutely sure this is baying, not howling or barking.

I don't think he's a large percentage of hound, but he's obviously got something besides just GSD and husky or malamute, since his ears are dangly and start about halfway down his head. His energy level is also lower than I'd expect from a GSD or husky/malamute. I actually think the GSD percentage is fairly low too since he shows no characteristics (in appearance or behavior) of a GSD whatsoever other than having sort of that general shepherd mix look to him. My best friend has a GSD and she thinks Quaffle is just weird. :)

If only those DNA tests were accurate...

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

demozthenes posted:

He's got a saddle marking right? Could be working bloodhound. I've met a few of them and every one worth any muster has been imported from south of the Mason/Dixon. Throw him into nosework, even a little hound blood + a good deal of GSD will be a good combo for that!

Nope, he's wild type agouti/wolf sable/whatever you want to call that gene. His coloring is definitely from the husky/malamute side. He does like to sniff out a trail on our walks, but what he likes BEST is being petted. When he's older I'm going to look into getting him certified as a therapy dog because for him there is nothing better in the world than PET MEEEEEEE. I spent several years visiting my grandfather in a nursing home when he had Alzheimers, and it was so sad at how some of the people there almost never got any visitors, and were so happy when we'd stop and talk to them. My grandfather was never all that excited about dogs (pre Alzheimers) but we came in one day and he was happily petting a therapy dog visiting. Much as I don't particularly like people, Quaffle does and add to that how I know my grandparents would have enjoyed so much having anyone at all visit, I almost feel I have no choice. Doggies make everyone feel better. :3:

This picture shows the houndy-ness of his head I think (he is intently watching the Olympics):

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

adventure in the sandbox posted:

I promise it wasn't me!! I wouldn't waste money on that dumb poo poo when I could buy more nailpolish (I have a nailpolish problem).

The PetEdge catalog has a bunch of pet nail polishes, all different colors and shimmer and glitter and everything. For $2.39 a bottle. I keep wondering how, at that price, it compares to Wet N Wild and Sally Hansen and whatever other drug store brands, and if it would make me more of a crazy dog lady or a crazy nail polish lady to buy a few bottles. For me, I mean. Although me and Quaffle having matching green glitter nails would be pretty amazing.

Ohhhh I just noticed it's buy five get one free...

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Yay I do! I lived in Iceland when I was little (my dad was in the US Navy) so I always like seeing pictures from there. :)

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
I'd rather hear them called "dotsons" than "weenie dogs". I'd rather hear about schnoodles than weenie dogs. Or "wennie" dogs or whatever other bizarre misspellings people come up with on Craigslist.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
We got chased by eleven dogs on our walk tonight. First a pack of five, then two others a bit further on, one of those two joined another pack of three, and finally a lone dog. Thanks rear end in a top hat owners, that really makes things pleasant for everyone else in your neighborhood. At least they were all smaller than Quaffle, which is a pretty good reason to get a big dog, in my opinion.

Quaffle didn't bark one bark, but his hackles did stand up several inches. He does a good dire wolf impression. He tried to sniff one of the pack of five (a fat lab) but that dog jumped away. That's right, bitches (unless they were males).

Also, Shadow is awesome :)

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
All dogs are Puppy or Booger. Except Quaffle, he is Stinky (that is the name he answers to).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
I guess I'm really lucky with Quaffle's daycare. I take him there about once a week for socialization and to totally wear him out and it seems to work out really well. It's almost entirely outside, in a couple of big fields, and there are separate smaller outside runs to separate the dogs that don't get along well with others (they also do boarding). The dogs are entirely supervised all day in the yards and get played with. They have a pavilion with a doggy pool. They don't really have much of an inside area other than the kennels for the boarders at night and a back room, but that must be all that Quaffle needs because the one time I showed up to pick him up when it was too hot for them to be out, he was napping in the back room and apparently not too stressed out about it.

I kind of assumed most daycares were like that but I guess not? Maybe I'm also lucky that Quaffle is the perfect dog for daycare because he isn't interested in other dogs enough to start anything with them, and since he doesn't care about toys there isn't much reason for other dogs to start anything with him either. The daycare is at his vet's office too so I trust they know how to handle dogs.

I'm really grateful for his daycare because non-athletic me doesn't have a really good way to wear him out otherwise since he has no interest in chasing a ball or flirtpole. I'm not sure what I'd do if that daycare closed (I don't imagine it will, they're looking to expand the inside area) so maybe I'll look around for a backup place if the current daycare really is so unusual.

• Locked thread