Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
You know I might try giving that a shot at the dog park to distract Tater when he's on his Poop Safari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
George Tepes IV, Lord-cat of Transylvania vants to suck your arugula.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

demozthenes posted:

Ultimate dog crack:

Smells like a Port-a-Potty, works like a charm.

Oh my God this is exactly what I needed. First day of no-poop-eating Dog Park. Wish I'd done this months ago!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Edit: wrong drat thread!

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 23, 2013

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Esmerelda posted:

My old dog is a pretty little princess who will melt if it's raining and she has to go outside in the back yard. The only way to combat this phenomena is with her trusty harness of +5 rain resistance. In other words, she's stupid and thinks the rain is evil and will kill her unless she's on a walk and then it's perfectly fine she'd love to go outside, thank you very much.

In contrast, if it's pouring outside Tater will refuse to go onto the dry patio, instead insisting on dragging us both out front and into the deluge.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Sacramento Doggy Dash is next Saturday! Gonna be a great 5k walk, find some good dog treats, see an agility demonstration or two, pug races and just get out there in the beautiful outdoor wea

:gonk:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah, the walk itself starts at 9am and it shouldn't be too bad then but the pug races are after that and yep. Hopefully they have the good sense to cancel the more strenuous parts if the weather pans out that way. I'm gonna try to get some of Tater's dog park friends to just blow it off altogether and have a picnic in the Bay instead.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

HelloSailorSign posted:

Those pugs are all going to die. :(

Edit: I wonder how much good will my clinic could garner by being out there with the anesthetic cart, loads of O2, and several buckets for cooling hyperthermic dogs.

Good news, pug races have been cancelled.

We're still planning on doing the 9AM walk, but after that we're heading to the bay to chill.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Doggy Dash outcome: Walk started by 9am and even by then it was too goddamn hot. I bailed just before the walk started. Oh well, at least I got to throw Tater in a wading pool.

Then I went to the Bay to beat the heat and got sunburnt anyway :argh: came back too early and the final 30 miles of the drive home the thermometer never dipped below 108.

Tater doesn't seem to be sunburnt but I'm burnt to a loving crisp.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
This isn't Tuscon -- it's usually not *that* bad here in the spring, baring a heat wave or two. SPCA basically got screwed on weather, though a good crowd, did show up in the morning.

To give a sense of how freakish Saturday was, the official high was 108F. Sunday? 86F :v: Sat broke temperature records across NorCal by a good five degrees.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Topoisomerase posted:

And right now it is 71F at 5 pm. :iiam:

We're hitting up the dog park and we're neeeeeeever coming back.

Honestly apart from Fri/Sat it's been a good spring. I think we had a 3-month stretch where we were able to go to the park every evening.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Tater loves toddlers. He loves to knock them over and make them cry.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Haha, been there.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Triangulum posted:

Yeah I understand it's expensive to run your own business but that's a hell of a lot of money for 1 hour of time and it's astronomical compared to the other self-employed trainers I use.

For comparison, my IPO trainer charges between $20-25 per 3 hour session and the engagement and motivation trainer charges $15 for a 90 min session.

Is that for a group session? If not then that's practically criminall -- figure half that cost goes into tax/retirement/health and it wouldn't even be federal minimum wage.

I did the standard puppy Kindergarten for Tater and I think it was $150 for five sessions -- obviously group since that's the whole point of a Kindergarten class. Honestly given what a naturally dog-oriented dog he is I probably got a lot more out of it than he did, but it was pretty fun.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Fraction posted:

It amuses me when people come round and freak out at Dogs Doing Things, like shouting at each other and wrassling. My friend is all :ohdear: about it.

One of my most :3: moments at the dog park is when the owners of this pup:

first brought her in and she was playing with Tater, all wrasslin'. Her folks went to apologize and put a stop to it when I told them it's okay, Tater loves it and it's what dogs do. They acquiesced but still looked pretty worried.

Eight months later and Sophie is half the size of Tater but she still kicks his rear end every time.

Then she humps his face.

Another dog park success story :allears:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Shnooks posted:

Omg :3: I love shaggy dogs. Do you know what type of dog that puppy is?

You know, I'm not sure but I want to say a Havanese mix? She's an awesome, social little dog, one of those where I'm always like aww yiss when she shows up.

e:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
She just showed up here at the park. Survey says: mostly Löwchen with some Bishon, Chihuahua, some sort of sheepdog... basically your classic Heinz 57.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Fraction posted:

Kalli just failed to jump over a (1 foot) wall and crashed into it and came up limping. I rang the vet in a panic and booked an immediate appointment and as soon as I got off the phone she decided a stick was awesome and ran after it with nary a trace of whining or limping.

If I had a nickel for every time I thought I saw Tater limping only to be fine I wouldn't need to ring a vet, I'd have hired one for the mansion. Might be because of his goofy Queen Anne's legs tho, I dunno.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Oh poo poo, yeah that's scary. I think Tater's only really been left limping twice, once from a sticker between his toes and another from... I don't know really but we stayed home from the dog park for a day and he was fine :shobon:

Actually little surprised he hasn't had more leg injuries -- that place is divoted all to hell because certain dogs (dammit Tater) just love pulling up grass when my back is turned.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I always put Tater's Easy Walk on upside down cause he's only 20 pounds and why should I give a drat if he wants to tug on the leash every so often :shobon:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Is it a really humid 84 there? We just had the worst heat wave I can remember -- 7 days of temps from 102-108. Friday when it only hit 91 or so was the best and by 6pm everyone of Tater's friends was at the dog park barking about how everyone missed everyone.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Kiri koli posted:

It's an astronomy conference.

What topic if I may ask? I have a thing for astronomy.

On topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWfk5jIdIqA

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Reminds me of the lovely "comprehensive Wellness Plan" my vet sold me for $750 to cover Tater's first year. "Comprehensive" apparently doesn't cover vet visits after 5pm, or any meds other than the $19/mo Trifexis, or one cent of the Rubber Duck Removal Surgery, or for the shots he would need for the next year even though the vet visit for them was scheduled well before the plan ran out.

By my math it covered about $600 of the $3,000 in vet expenses last year, and $350 of that was for his neutering.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm trying to think where I'd rank foxtail on my list of attractive ornamental plants and uh...

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Wanna photograph that dog so hard.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Dogdoo 8 posted:

I'm at the point where I want to take photography classes for just one drat reasonable looking picture.

This reminds me, a Facebook friend of mine who used to work for the local paper but since moved to NYC wanted me to write an article about taking good photos of pets for her up-and-coming blog. This was in January and I more or less blew her off cuz I didn't really have a good idea of what to write and I was working on my own photo site, but she reminded me recently and I really should get around to it.

The point of this story is that gently caress trying to get good photos of black dogs holy poo poo.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

a life less posted:

Cohen "helped" us garden today.

Ahahaha

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

WolfensteinBag posted:

I'm just curious, what's a heat wave for you guys? It's in the mid 90sF and humid here right now. :( Buddy goes out, pees, and BOLTS back to the house, haha

Not a fun week.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Tater's first big trip is tomorrow -- driving from Sacramento to Colorado and back. Plan is to get a pic of him atop Pikes Fuckin Peak :black101: (and maybe visit family and stuff)

Thankfully he's pretty good in the car and doesn't get carsick. Looking forward to a fun time.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Rixatrix posted:

Yes but who is fastest!? Skijoring is legit scary because of the speed. It looks like fun but it's not for me.

I never understand how discussions about dog sports tend to degenerate into arguments about what is the "right" way to enjoy spending time with your dog. As long as everyone is having a good time, who the gently caress cares.

I just throw Tater in the dog park. It's where his friends are and what he loves best.

Speaking of which, we came back Wednesday from a trip to Colorado and stopped by the park in the evening. His wrasslin' friends absolutely murdered him. It was the most :3: and :gonk: thing ever.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Writer Cath posted:

Bella did a good job at the dog park today.

She protected me from Man With Hat by barking half assedly and not doing anything.

Haha, Tater has a few people he will bark at for whatever reason. My apartment neighbor for instance -- Tater rushes up, gets his pets and belly rub then backs off and starts barking in full play bow with his tail wagging. Real scary there, chief.

But not today... today he has a real bad hotspot :(

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I spayed a six month old cocker once and she turned into a cat. Sucked.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Superconsndar posted:

Male pups who are neutered young end up looking weedy and stupid SORRY EVERYONE

That's the point

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
"We're lucky to have you."

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I worked out Starch-For-Brains' first year one day and it came to about $6,000 all told; I got him for free. About 4k of that was vet bills, and half of that was this little number:

rear end in a top hat.

That said I probably should have shopped around a bit when choosing a vet. I suspected my primary vet was a bit high but it really hit me in the face last weekend. I took him in to another place for a grooming and he had a hotspot so they brought him into the vet they're co-located with where they shaved a bit of his neck and gave him some antibiotic. That was $100 not including the grooming.

But last year I took him in to my primary vet for the exact same thing (he's prone to hotspots okay), and they charged twice as much for the same treatment, despite him being enrolled in a $750 "Wellness Plan" to cover vet visits. Little bitter about that but hey, no one to blame but myself.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Goddammit my vet stopped carrying Trifexis, argh. They only carry Sentinel in the shop now which Tater's been on before and I know doesn't work for fleas. Think I'm gonna have to call around find a new vet at this point :/

Or is there another flea/tick/heartworm med that actually kills fleas? I know Sentinel only sterilizes the fleas which is why I had found fleas on him while he was on it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah I think that's what I'll have to do.

They still offer it through an online store but at at $30 markup, and going to another vet means a fecal analysis for heartworm first which would make the difference moot. Guess I'm in a vice either way. Annoying. That's $30 that could go toward a stupid toy for him to ignore :argh:

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 9, 2013

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Shnooks posted:

They usually do a blood test to check for heartworms.

We usually tell people to try 1800PetMeds or something and if they go to another vet we don't mind faxing their recent heartworm tests over.

As for just fleas there's also Comfortis. I don't have dogs, so I'm just going off of what other people do. Personally, I give my cat's Revolution v:shobon:v

Mine does fecal for heartworms for whatever reason but that's their choice I guess.

As far as just fleas, probably not a great idea since we practically live at the dog park and Tater's predilection for eating poop whenever my back is turned. Damned dog.

At any rate I bit the bullet and ordered the Trifexis anyway. Oh well.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Well then what are they doing with Tater's poop :staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
That's a man in a cat suit.

• Locked thread