Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

TVs Ian posted:

His father is a husky and his mom is some kind of husky mix from what we've heard. Mind you, the friend who rescued him knows jack poo poo about dogs, but his father is definitely a very dirty white husky. White turned blond from living in a dirt yard.

:neckbeard: Awesome puppy. :3: Looks more mal than husky in the face, either that or some kinda big LSG mixed in. :3: Either way I'm guessing he'll be large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

TVs Ian posted:

So. Who the heck knows. He's probably mostly husky?

Yeah, probably. :3: Good luck! Haha

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

a life less posted:

Yeah, that's the tough part. He's not interested, but I have a feeling that he may change his mind once we're a bit more settled and I convince him that the lion's share of the care will fall to me. Maybe. We'll have to see.

Man, I dunno if I could handle that. :/ I have all sorts of crazy dog plans, and my husband is completely on board with owning a rag-tag team of dogs including a whole pack of CsV.

I so know your puppy pain, too. Over the last few years I've had some interesting things pass me by, including having puppies practically thrown at me like that. I've been getting ready for our next dog since like 2008, and we're just now coming up with an actual time line of about a year to a year and a half. So I'm just hoping things fall into place at the right time! The way I see it, if you have these opportunities pop up, something good WILL come along when you're ready. :)

In other news, I picked up some awesome books the other day! One with huskies, one with GSDs, both with awesome old pictures. :3: If there's any interest, I can post some pics.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

notsoape posted:

Out of interest, what size 'pack' are the PI dog people eventually aiming for? I'm keeping one spot open for another small lurcher in the next few years- hopefully a Mouse daughter, if she does well in the field - but three dogs (two being my very own, Dan is really a family dog) will be my limit for the foreseeable future.

As much as I talk, in THIS house we can realistically only fit 2, and while I'm raising a family but in a bigger house, 3. My REAL "pack" won't be for a very long time (retirement? :( ) and might reach as many as 5 if we have the space, but that will all be part of a breeding program.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

TVs Ian posted:

Of course now there's talk of potentially keeping him. This may change over the course of the next few weeks when his prim breed traits bubble to the surface :suicide:

Doooo iiiitttt!!!! His "bad" traits won't come out until WELL after you decide you can't give him up. :haw:

Breed plans? I have my husky, and my GSD will be next. :3: Then after that, probably rescue mutts, always including a husky or husky mix, and CsVs down the line. I want to be able to get involved with tracking, trailing, and SAR with them and establish a breeding program. :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

TVs Ian posted:

I just have a feeling he's going to be a lovely mix of "I need you here all the time, look at me, I'm awesome" and "What?! You thought I was going to listen to you?"

You just described Buddy. :3: :love:

I think it's hilarious that all the Prim Breed owners are so breedist. You seriously do have to have a completely different "taste" in dogs to own them, though.

For me, although I'll never say never because, really, I'll take anything in, I really just prefer the dogs I listed and ones similar. :shobon: What it boils down to is that I like easy to read body language and intelligence. I don't care if you choose not to listen, but *I* get bored with training if it takes too long for the point to get across. V :) V

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

That's what makes me so hesitant with standard poodles. I normally brush and groom every couple of days. That.. doesn't work with a poodle coat unless you keep it super short, and I'd rather have it longer or show cut or something.

Hell no! If I had a standard, I would shave that thing bald. I'm talking a #10 blade from nose to tail, ears and topknot and all. Then they just look like retrievers. :3: That hair is SO not worth it.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Yeah, we got our cat after having Buddy and I'd been working with dogs for years. I definitely love her, and I'm glad we have her, but even before we got her I said she'd be the last cat I'd ever own.

Ok, so I wasn't going to say anything, but I'm seriously :f5: ing like mad over here. I finally went ahead and emailed Wildhaus a few days ago. :ohdear: I haven't heard back, but they're busy with little puppies and I wrote a lot to respond to. I'm just so anxious!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

If I'm looking for info on feeding puppies, do I look in the nutrition thread, or puppy thread?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

TVs Ian posted:

Is there a good reason why you need to know that you should tell us? :D

Haha No, just doing research. :haw: All these sweet GSD stories are killing me, though!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

ButWhatIf, you have a PM. :)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

2tomorrow posted:

I think George and I are going to get involved with the local canine search and rescue team. I was talking to the new member coordinator today and she thought George sounds great for it. I have SAR experience (mounted and on foot) but never done anything like this with a dog. There's a ton of training involved but I think he'll love it. I'm having so much fun with this dog it is unbelievable.

I also got some pictures of him today on our hike that I will finally post on this thread tomorrow. I'm just on my kindle right now so can't do it at the moment.

This is awesome!!! :haw: Best of luck with everything, keep us updated!! And yay, pictures! :f5:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Well, I heard back from Wildhaus! I resent my email, and I'm glad I did, because apparently it went to the spam folder the first time. :iiam:

Anyway, she responded to my dissertation of an email by sending one of equal sperginess, which is awesome. Long story short, they don't actually go through the interview process until they're making their final picks for who gets to put a deposit, but we're going to be kept in mind if they end up planning a litter that would work for us! :dance: She said that based on our situation and what we're looking for, we'd want a nice "middle of the road dog" (not a high drive SchH3 hopeful, but not just a pet, either) and they tend to have quite a few of those per litter. :dance: I know it's far off, but I'm getting SO excited!!

I know this might sound crazy, but this is one of those things that's like a check off of my life's goals and a step towards my future. Like getting Buddy, getting married, buying a house, and having Nolan.

Haha Speaking of, my husband was making fun of me the other day for training my son like the dogs. But I figure, hell, if it works... :haw: Really, knowing dogs is helping me immensely. I swear he learns words the exact same way, and thrives on positive reinforcement. "No, not in the mouth... GOOD JOB!!! Not in the mouth!! :neckbeard: "

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

notsoape posted:

Something I've noticed is that in the show/sport/working world it seems fairly common for people to 'move dogs on' for one reason or another...

Short answer: I can see why some people do it, and I don't fault them (for the most part) but I could never do it.

Maybe tomorrow I'll feel like posting the long version. :)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

2tomorrow posted:

And I know about the show dog thing. I just get self-conscious because I think he's so wonderful but he was just a random dumped dog which I know doesn't mean anything except that he had lovely previous owners but...yeah...I never learned anything about German Shepherds before the last few months so I feel out of my league.

Time for bed for me, but I started a download of the Imgur app and I will post pictures as soon as I figure this out. I'm not really that worried, because I know even if he's a terrible physical example of the breed you guys just don't know his amazing personality. :colbert: And I would actually be interested to hear how he matches up to breed standards. I've read them but I'm also horribly biased so I don't think my judgment is reliable.

:rolleyes: We just want to see your drat dog already! Really, seeing his structure is just for my own curiosity because I love evaluating conformation like that. Hell, I rip apart my own husky all the time, ask my husband. Just curious is all, and I bet he's super duper cute. :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

DenialTwist posted:

Look how sad and forlorn she is:

I wanna kiss that nose so bad. :3:

Sometimes I forget how many GSD people there are here. You all do need either a GSD or another herding thread and post all of your drat dogs constantly since I don't have one yet. :argh:

Same goes for you, Foxy, I love collies, too! :argh:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

tiddlez posted:

Is Sandy a GSD?! He looked kind of like he was to me, but his coat is very short? I've not met very many, and the ones I have have been long coated?

It's really hard to tell from the picture, maybe a mix? And I'm hoping it's the odd pictures, but he wasn't shaved down, was he??

Rixatrix posted:

Commenting from two pages back, hope no one minds. I just wanted to say something since this is very topical to me at the moment as I just confirmed my reservation for a bc puppy (yay! I should get to bring him home in September if all goes well.)

Congrats on the upcoming puppy!! :D

Since you brought it up again, I might as well go more in to what I think. Like I said, I can see why people give up dogs like that, but I'd only condone it in certain situations. If a person specifically picks a puppy with high level sport goals or for a certain job and the dog washes out, obviously to achieve said goals you would need a new dog. If you are at your limit for what you can take in, I can see rehoming a dog. It would have to really be a situation where the home just isn't able to keep "just a pet". I can see it even more with breeders because you aren't going to breed a dog that doesn't live up to your standards and you have the resources to find it a great home so you have room for another dog to expand your breeding pool. Yeah, it sucks to think of dogs that way, but I think you go in to a situation like that knowing the dog might not make the cut. v :shobon: v

WolfensteinBag fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 1, 2012

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Rixatrix posted:

Summer Pi

:argh:

vvvvvv That's all I'm saying, I'm being good. :colbert:

WolfensteinBag fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 3, 2012

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Cless Alvein posted:

This is Kiya. She is my little princess.
!

:neckbeard: She looks like Buddy! We adopted him at the same age, too. :haw: You need to hit up the Primitive Breeds thread!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

El Gar posted:

Hot lead and soft mouths.

This.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Looks like a Wheaton terrier. We used to have one at my work who would let you carry him just like that. :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

It depends on the proteins the dog produces, too. Darker dogs produce more allergens than lighter ones. I don't even have dog allergies, but shaving down a black poodle will get me every time! The allergens are released in saliva, too, so if the dog is drooly or licks a bunch it can make it worse. My sister who has terrible allergies can be around Buddy for awhile no problem, but if he licks her she gets a rash.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

El Gar posted:

Wow is this true? It sounds like one of those myths people believe cause it's just so simple but if it's really true that's very cool.

It is! I don't know the protein off the top of my head, but I'll look it up later, I remember reading the actual one before.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

I'm so excited! It's been awhile since I searched around the training groups in our area, but with puppy fever setting in, I started looking at them again. I found out the place I wanted to do general obedience with also trains for rally and formal obedience! I thought they only did agility, so I'm way excited, since they're all positive reinforcement based. The thing I'm more excited about, though, is I found a K9 Nosework class only 20 minutes away!! :dance: Seems like the sport is really spreading! Now all I need to find is a tracking group and I'm all set. :dance:

So with all this excitement, I'm feeling bad for Old Man Buddy, because I never did any of this stuff with him. Thing is, though, he would HATE going through everything! He has no patience for training, he'd really love to do the bare minimum to get his reward, and gets pissed/frustrated if you take too long. My reasoning is, why should I put him through training he doesn't want to to? I know he COULD do that stuff, but he'd be more frustrated than enjoy himself. I still feel bad, though. :(

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Shnooks posted:

I'm going to be starting a position soon (hopefully) as a veterinary assistant and/or technician and was wondering if any of you had recommendations for like reference or study books or something?

Basically when I was in high school and parts of middle school I observed and assisted at a veterinary clinic. Now I graduated college and I'd like to go back in the field but am not certified. I figured it could only be in my benefit if I read up on some of the stuff I should know.

There's a book that I really want but refuse to pay for by Dr. Sophia Yin about restraining animals you might be interested in. Ridiculously expensive, though, so I'd only splurge on it if you seriously want to get in to the field as a career. Other than that, stuff on animal behavior is always good. No matter your field, for some reason you find a disturbing number of people that don't have a great understanding of body language. Don't trust that the people you're working with know what they're doing in this regard. Yes, I'm jaded. :colbert:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Instant Jellyfish posted:

My issue with what ButWhatIf was saying is the insinuation that breeders who work to produce dogs with traditional or working temperaments are doing a disservice to the breed or society as a whole.

Yep, this. :) I know I've said it all before, so I'll just sum up, but I really think there's no point to breeding a breed unless it's to preserve something. Like notsoape said, a lot of that times it means sacrificing EXACTLY what the breed was designed for just out of lack of available outlet for it, but I think you need to be breeding with a goal, and to say you're going to water a breed down to make them good pets just doesn't do it for me. 1) There's pet dogs all over the place in shelters, 2) There are pet quality dogs in every litter (yes, dogs with great "home dog" temperaments) and 3) Not every breed is meant for every person and people need to be more responsible than to just say, "I like the way that dog looks so I'm going to get it."

I have a couple neat examples of the way GSDs and CsVs are changing, but my baby's waking up, so that'll have to wait!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

ButWhatIf posted:

Kind of that. It's kind of really not that hard to Do A Thing with a dog. It really isn't.
+more :words:

I guess I just don't see what this has to do with changing temperaments. You're right, anyone CAN get in to this stuff, so why change dogs' drives to accommodate people that can easily just pick a different breed if they don't want to do them? Also, why not just get a less drivey puppy? They really do exist in every litter.

So here's what I've seen that I was gonna mention earlier, pretty interesting and related.

With GSDs, there's a million different trends on changing temperaments. Everyone pretty much knows about showline dogs not having the drive for work, changing the breed away from the standard. But the same problem exists with sport dogs, too. People get warned about sport lines because of drivey, nervy dogs, but that's not really the standard, either, and the dogs that get easily worked up for sports would be too nervous for real work, too. The correct temperament lies in the middle, which is good for an active family. In a litter of puppies bred towards this temperament, you'll get lazier dogs and ones better for sports. Either direction, there's no need to change the temperament as a whole, but you still get breeders doing it anyway.

A good example of redirecting purpose (in my opinion) is the CsV. They were used for border patrol in former Czechoslovakia, but obviously this is a job we don't have here. Add to that the dogs have a great sense of independence, and you have a potentially dangerous situation breeding and using dogs for bitework.

So you have some options. Breed for protection and keep the temperament the same, and the dogs could be dangerous in an average home. Breed towards a more stable dog for bitework and you have a different looking GSD. My favorite option, though, and the one trending towards here in the US, is redirecting that temperament towards different work. Specifically, using them for scent related work as opposed to bitework. The dogs originally were used a lot for trailing, more so even than actual apprehension, so they excel at it. So the dog is still doing something related to its original function, but in a safer manner. :)

Just thought all that stuff was neat. v :) v

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Superconsndar posted:

I *was* going to neuter him post health testing because I assumed he was poo poo based on movement, but apparently not so ~~~~ we will see~~~~

Regardless of scoring, does the shape that lends itself to wonky movement lend itself to a shorter working time span? Is that what made you say this:

quote:

he's got things I dislike

or is that in reference to something else?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Aravenna posted:

Oh I agree, but after months of hearing constant "I want a baby" talk, it was a little odd for her to suddenly decide on a puppy instead.

More people should choose puppies instead.

This is kinda e/n, but before I got pregnant with my son I'd had a miscarriage. After that happened and I wasn't getting pregnant again, I decided to quit looking at baby stuff and focus on GSD breeders instead. Practically the second I did that I got pregnant again. V :) V Who knows, the same thing could happen with your friend.

Or, she could jump the gun, get a puppy tomorrow, and THEN wind up pregnant...

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

I got a new memory foam topper for my bed and I'm not sure if me or the dog like it more. I was sitting on the couch and he just kept peering down the hall from my bedroom and stomping his feet until I got up and took my computer to bed so he could sleep and still keep an eye on me. He may be a little spoiled.

We ordered our topper a size too big so we could be sure it would reach the edges of our mattress. Because of that, we had scrap foam from cutting it down. Yeeeaahh... It's definitely been lining Buddy's crate since then. He might be spoiled, but he loves it. It has to be good for his aging joints.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Bash Ironfist posted:

Had 43 dogs at boarding this weekend and I'm so loving exhausted and frizzled. Ended up going into the bathroom today and having a bit of a cry. Wasn't upset really, just was so tired both physically and mentally, and the stress of it all kinda got to me.

I KNOW HOW THIS IS. :stare: Working with dogs is a lot more stressful than you think it will be from the outside. But when you think about the fact that 9 times out of 10 the dogs are very poorly trained and how loud it can get with constant barking, it's an insane environment to work in. So yeah, I totally feel for you. :(

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Good luck with Mouse. :( It really sucks to have goals and do everything "right" and still end up with the dumb luck of an injury.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

paisleyfox posted:

doggie date with rivals and Koji not amused at the beach :haw:

I did not know this was happening!!! :neckbeard:

Sorry about your crazy foster pup, though. :(

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Pfox you had better post a thread when you get a puppy. I am dying of puppy fever and I need shiba puppy pics in my life.

This! :stare:

Fraction, personally, when it comes to older dogs I figure they set their own pace. I know you feel bad that your dog is less active, but everyone gets less active as they get older. Hell, I'm only 29 but I'll be damned if staying up past 10 isn't a challenge. Just like every dog has a different energy level, energy levels in dogs can change as they get older. Unless you're struggling with a weight issue or need to build up lost muscle mass, I'd personally let my dog just be lazier. Hell, that's what I do with Buddy. :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Anyone know a reputable website that sells Timberwolf dog food? We have a client who's local store stopped carrying it so she has to drive pretty far to buy it, now.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Superconsndar posted:

But then his final structure would be the artificial result of neutering and not his actual genetically defined structure so how would i be able to accurately assess my dog if his growth was affected by early neutering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THESE THINGS ARE VERY IMPORTANT

See, this cracks me up because I COMPLETELY understand that feeling where something that in the grand scheme of things could be so minor, but matter SO MUCH but you sound absolutely nuts trying to talk about it to someone who doesn't feel the same way/give a poo poo. I feel like I'll be the same way if I end up with a wonky GSD even though the parents will be great just because of :iiam: genetics.

At any rate, I totally understand. The whole point was that you were considering breeding him, so artificially changing his ultimate structure wouldn't do you any drat good. Kind of a catch 22.

Do you have any pictures of Moses' parents? Do you think if he were a female it would have made a difference, or would he still have bulked up? His head looks so small compared to his body now, it's kinda hilarious. :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

HookShot posted:

Can someone either reassure me/tell me what to do?

COMPLETELY normal. :) A lot of dogs, especially the breeds your dog is, get those as they get older. Some just sit there, others ooze/bleed. :barf: Really, they are completely harmless and totally not worth removing unless they are in your dog's way some how or constantly getting a secondary infection or something, because they grow right back. The only thing to do is make sure you clean the oozy ones every day so the stuff doesn't crust into the hair. Also, your groomer might make them bleed for as little as just washing them, so that's also nothing to worry about. :)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Kerfuffle posted:

Super have you ever seen a pitty that absolutely floored you with confirmation both in appropriate pitty behavior and nice form?

I guess question that goes for anyone in PI who owns a purebred dog or is heavily invested/interested in them. Genuinely interested if such a thing actually exists, or is just strived for.

I really think as good as it gets, there's always going to be room for improvement and something to strive for. There's a reason you put drawings with breed standards and not pictures of actual dogs. I'd say there are definitely dogs that come close, but you're always going to be able to find flaws. Usually, though, in a really great dog, those flaws are so minor that the dog is still as near perfect as you're going to get.

Sort of on that same note, I love how this dog is growing up:
http://wildhauskennels.com/heidi.htm
I'm curious about how her temperament has developed, since they still have the generic description from when she was a puppy. I'm really, really hoping that by the time we're set for a puppy she's the one they'll want to breed. (Just from a structural standpoint.)

WolfensteinBag fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Aug 1, 2012

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Riiseli posted:

Oh wow the amount and frequency of litters from a single bitch and repeat pairings to boot. Wouldn't be my chosen breeder for sure. Although they probably produce nice dogs.

I was going to message you because I didn't want this to turn into a whole crazy drama thing, but I wanted to talk about why I chose them & all that. :) At first I was surprised to hear you say that, but then I remembered that you're not in the US and that things in Europe tend to be a lot different. I know in most countries, the breed clubs won't let you register litters if they're more frequent than once a year for a bitch unless there are some crazy circumstances that you have to jump through hoops for, so I get where you're coming from.

Here, it seems perfectly reasonable (at least to me) to breed 5 litters from a dog before retiring her, like Wildhaus has done. I definitely am not a fan of 2 litters in one year from the same bitch, but I'm sure they had reasons to do so. It's a husband and wife that own the kennel, and they produce dogs mainly for work and sport and are therefor in high demand. Even with that high demand, they don't succumb to the over breeding that most GSD kennels with their caliber of dog end up doing. Between 2002 and 2012, they have bred 13 litters. That's amazingly low considering other breeders around here, especially considering that they've had large gaps without breeding in there. Some of those litters that were close together but different bitches were from co-ownership situations, as well, so it's not a case of having a house chock full of puppies from different litters.

The biggest reasons I chose this kennel are the health testing (which is more thorough than other kennels here, with a lot of planning given to the lines and not just looking at a specific dog's results) and that these people KNOW their puppies. They socialize, train, and observe the puppies from day 1 and are really great at evaluating them for the right home. I've talked to waaaayyyy too many breeders that are too willing to sell their dogs' positives without discussing the negatives of owning the breed, and these people are right up front about the fact that every dog isn't good for every person and that even if you have a deposit, if they don't think they have a dog for you, they won't sell you one. I want a breeder that knows their dogs and won't let me pick my own puppy.

I'm mad I don't have time, but I should link you some of the other "breeders" that would be "second choice" around here. :rolleyes: Breeders that are honestly the best you'd be able to find in a reasonable distance (I'm talking states away) that are producing WAY more puppies, WAY more repeat breedings, practically willing to sell to anyone, and health testing that is nowhere near as thorough (even though they test their own dogs, breedings done with completely untested lines). Looking up other breeders really puts it into perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Superconsndar posted:

My parents just brought home a puppy. :geno:

:suicide:

• Locked thread