Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
Hmmm, top five future fantasy dog breed team? I'd probably say Pom, poodle, corgi, greyhound, and rottweiler (although seeing them all typed out like that it's quite the disparate mix...). Also, I think I've realized something about myself: I hate labs :( I know that there are many awesome labs out there, and people love them, but man, when I volunteer at the animal shelter I LOATHE walking the labs. They're just so dumb and hyper and bumbling and getting all tangled up in your legs and jumping up on you and scratching you accidentally and just UGH. In fairness, the labs at the shelter are obviously not well-trained and could probably learn to be a lot more mannerly, but drat do they get on my nerves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
My mom's dog Max is a GSD/husky mix and he weighs around 100 lbs! Congratulations on your new giant dog!

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
I sprained my ankle at work last night and have been laid up in bed all day. Rory has been Very Concerned. My boyfriend tried to walk him while I was sleeping and apparently he wouldn't leave the bed :3:

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
You had me at "home necropsy" :stare:

But when you say the fetuses were "sacks of bone and organs," do you mean all the bones were present, just like... floating around, not attached to each other? Cos that's really creepy.

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
Rory is also very insistent about bedtime. If it gets to be about midnight and we're still up, he will sigh heavily and gaze at the bedroom door. Sometimes he'll go ahead and get into bed, and then come back out to check if we've noticed by looking at us pointedly. One night when I was at work, my fiance was staying up super late playing video games and Rory actually got into bed and started crying. Fiance is a big softie, so even though he wasn't done playing, he went to bed anyway :3:

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish

Captain Foxy posted:

Zoot, like Buster, Bandy and Danny before him, goes out through the dog door every night and 'patrols' for varmints, be they rats, raccoons or coyotes. He frequently comes home covered in blood that is not his own, and is happier than any dog has a right to be. He would never harm another dog, another farm's livestock or anything that wasn't a pest animal, either, and I really have no idea how we've been so lucky with that, not only with him but with all the other boys.

Compared to most of the dog people in this thread I know next to nothing, but I think maybe you just answered your own question? It seems possible that when a very drivey, intelligent breed like a JRT is given the freedom to do Its Job to its heart's content, it doesn't necessarily need a lot of training. Your uncle's dogs basically have the ideal life- unlimited exercise and mental stimulation, along with the comforts of home, food, and vet care. I think most working breed dogs, even if a tad neurotic or poorly bred, would thrive under those conditions.

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
Rory is dead.

Eric (my fiance) and I were back home in Virginia over the weekend because I was a bridesmaid in my friend's wedding. I was at the rehearsal dinner Saturday night and Eric was at my mom's, where we were staying. She has two dogs, a beagle and a husky/GSD mix. She, my stepdad, and Eric took all three dogs for a walk together. At some point the leashes became tangled and Rory was trapped under Max, the GSD mix. Eric was afraid he would be trampled, so he dropped the leash to try to untangle them. Rory bolted. My mom said she had never seen Eric move so fast in his life. They tried and tried to catch him, but he took off into one of the busiest intersections in northern Virginia (Seven Corners, for those of you familiar with the area). Tons of people stopped their cars in the middle of traffic and got out to try to help. Finally someone pointed and there was Rory, lying dead in the road.

The dress I was wearing for the rehearsal dinner didn't have pockets, so I didn't have my phone on me all night. When it was time to leave, I picked up my purse from under the table and happened to feel my phone vibrating. It was my mom. I could tell by her voice that something was terribly wrong. She said "I'm going to put Eric on the phone" and didn't answer when I asked why. He said "Baby, Rory got away from me." I said "He's lost?" I had a thrill of hope- he had his collar and tags on, and he's microchipped. Eric said "No." I said "Is he dead?" and Eric said yes. He was sobbing at this point. I said I'd be home soon and hung up.

We were in the private party room of a restaurant. I looked around in panic for someone I knew (there were a lot of the groom's friends and family members there with whom I was unacquainted). Finally I saw the groom himself, Rick. I called his name and he could tell by the note of panic in my voice that something was wrong. I gasped out what happened and immediately burst into tears. He, Emily (the bride) and Rebecca (Emily's mom) all sprang into action. I was hastily led from the restaurant, whisked into a car, and driven home, crying hysterically all the while.

Guys, I am not normally a histrionic or even particularly emotional or demonstrative person. I'm sorry if this post is coming off as melodramatic or pretentious. I just really need to get it all off my chest.

When we got back to my mom's everyone was waiting for me on the steps of the townhouse. I had to be physically helped from the car. I wailed for my mom and she snatched me up. She was sobbing too. I grabbed her by the shoulders and started shaking her, screaming that this was just like when my grandma died, that if I had gone with her to the family reunion I wouldn't have let her fall and hit her head, and how could Aunt Kathleen be so stupid, etc. etc. My mom just stood there and took it. She asked if I wanted to see him and said that he just looked like he was sleeping. I didn't really want to, but I knew it would be best for me in the long run.

Eric brought his little body out of the garage where they had laid him. Guys, I literally fell to my knees and wailed to God. He was still warm, and his head was still bleeding from where he had been hit. Eric's clothes were covered in blood and there were blood stains on the steps and the garage floor. We sat on the steps next to each other and stroked him. His tail had relaxed out of its usual tight curl and drooped limply. I sobbed that I would never see it wag again. I screamed that I was so sorry that I hadn't been there for him, that he must have been so scared, that I hadn't been able to take care of him. At one point I sobbed to Eric that he shouldn't have dropped the leash, he shouldn't have dropped the leash. Eric wailed how sorry he was, that it was his fault.

My mom and Pete had gone inside to give us some privacy. I went back in and said I wanted my brother Benjamin, could they call Benjamin? As I washed the blood off my hands and legs, my mom held me and cried that if she could take this pain from me and feel it for me, she would, that she loved me so much and she would do anything for me. She promised me that when Eric and I had a baby, I would understand, and the pain of losing a dog wouldn't be so sharp in contrast to the intensity of loving a child. She left me alone in the living room and I sobbed and rocked myself back and forth. Benjamin must have driven like hell because he was there in about three minutes. When he saw me he started sobbing too. He held me and wailed how sorry he was. I started shaking him too and screaming again about Grandma. He told me not to think that way.

I said I wanted to hold Rory again, but I wanted him to be wrapped up so I wouldn't have to see the blood. I'm an ICU nurse and blood does not bother me in the least, but seeing my little guy covered in his own blood was too much. Pete wrapped him in a blanket for me. He looked just like he did when we gave him a bath for the first time:

I cradled him and nuzzled him and said he was my good little guy. I told him Mommy loved him and she was so sorry this had happened to him. I kissed him on the cheek like I used to and let Eric put him back in the garage. Then we all sat in the living room awhile. My mom cuddled me and stroked my cheek. Eric couldn't take it and went downstairs to lie down. I joined him about half an hour later.

We didn't like the idea of Rory being out in the garage all alone, so we laid his carrot toy with him.

He was stiff by then, and I didn't want to see him like that. I asked Eric to move him to a blanket that was laying on the garage floor. I heard jingling when he picked him up, and I realized his collar was still on. I asked Eric to get that too. We sat up awhile and cried and watched tv to try to lull us to sleep. We ended up putting on "Pirates of the Caribbean II" because we wanted something mindless and silly. I think we probably slept about two hours total.

In the morning, my mom came downstairs, still crying. She said Pete had found a place that would handle the cremation, and they would also go pick up my car from the rehearsal dinner restaurant. I had forgotten about that, it felt like it had been a decade ago. I said to go ahead and cremate him with Mr. Carrot.

That day, Sunday, was the day of the wedding. I said I still definitely wanted to be in it, because if I didn't, the whole trip and thus Rory's death would have been for nothing. I made a conscious decision to put it out of my mind and be happy and supportive for Emily and Rick on their special day. To my credit, I think I did a good loving job. I danced, I laughed, I decorated their car, and I generally did my best. Eric, on the other hand, wasn't doing so well. He barely managed not to cry during the reception, and went home early with my mom. Actually I think he cried for about 48 hours straight. He was an absolute wreck.

My stepdad was so sweet during the whole ordeal. When he and my mom went to the cremation place, the man there agreed to stay late to take care of it, even though he had been there all night working on the machinery. They didn't even charge for the urn. (I think my mom's inconsolable sobbing had something to do with this). Then Pete dressed up in a suit to bring the urn over, along with a beautiful floral arrangement he had bought for us, and a sweet card. The ashes came with a little certificate that said "On this day, September 23rd, 2012, RORY, friend and companion of MICKEYMICKEY, was cremated individually." It also came with the little Rainbow Bridge passage, which Eric found very comforting.

Here are some of the thoughts I've been dealing with since it happened:
-If I had been there, I never would have let the leashes get tangled, and I never would have dropped the leash. I am positive that had I been there, it wouldn't have happened.
-Rory must have been so scared to bolt like that. If I had been there he wouldn't have been so frightened. He was always braver when he was with me. The fact that he died in a terrified frenzy will probably haunt me to the end of my days.
-He didn't deserve to go out like that. I knew he would probably die before me, but not so soon or so brutally. I thought it would be at home, in my lap, like Wheats' dog.
-We had him for such a short time. We were supposed to be his forever home, his new lease on life. We were supposed to take care of him and protect him. I feel like I failed him.
-Eric didn't even really want a dog to begin with and I talked him into it, and now he's in absolute agony. Nothing bad has ever really happened to him- he's had ONE grandpa die after a long illness, other than that he's led a pretty charmed life. He grew to love Rory SO. MUCH. I feel like I inflicted this on him.

Here are some of the things I will miss:
-Him greeting me when I got home. He would go into absolute paroxysms of joy when he saw me. He wouldn't bark, but he would do this little hopping dance and run around like I was returning home from war or something, even when I'd just been at the grocery store for half an hour.
-Him waking me up in the morning. As soon as the alarm went off, he knew it was time for walkies. He would jump up and down on me and lick my face, and nuzzle into my armpit.
-Him getting so excited to snuggle in bed at night. I would stand at the bedroom door and call "Rory! Bedtime!" and he would come bolting in like it was the best thing ever. He would snuggle up to my side or my legs and look so content.
-The way he got so excited when we were going out for a walk. He would bound down the hallway, looking back at me every two seconds like "Mommy! Isn't this the greatest thing ever?? Isn't it, Mommy??" Then on the way back in, when he was all tired out, he would walk at my side in a perfect heel, although I had never trained him to do it.

My dad, who is not even really an "animal person" but loves sports, texted me this: "It's like getting called up from triple A to the majors. Yeah you gotta change your life, leave things behind; but it's all good. Us and Rory are first all God's creatures. God looked at you both and Rory and said 'Great job! I have a wonderful place for Rory in my majors and then both you and Eric need to keep up the good work as you are able, taking a lost creature out of harm's way and giving them love.' All creatures eventually get called up to the majors. Some have great coaching and make it sooner." And my mom printed this out for me: http://uglicoyote.wordpress.com/2012/01/02/i-want-a-physicist-to-speak-at-my-funeral/
I like the last line: "According to the law of the conservation of energy, not a bit of you is gone; you're just less orderly."

So, now comes the business of getting through it. I'm working three nights in a row starting tonight, and I hope getting back to a normal routine will help. Eric wants to start volunteering at the shelter with me. He also wants to make a $1500 donation in Rory's name, which is amazingly sweet considering how thrifty (read: stingy) he usually is. He said he wants everyone to know how important Rory was.

Personally, I think I will see Rory again someday. I believe that animals have souls insofar as people love them. Wild animals die and return to the earth; but when you pour enough love and affection into a pet, you imbue them with a piece of your own soul that God recognizes as a part of you, and your soul is made whole again in heaven.

Thank you guys so much for letting me work through all this. I'm so sorry if this is upsetting or brings back bad memories for anyone, or if it came off as too self-indulgent or "first world problems." Grief is grief. I don't have kids yet, so Rory was the closest I knew to having a child. Here's the last picture I took of him, a day before his death:

He was smiling for once. He almost never smiled in pictures. :gbsmith:

Fake edit: someone posted a link awhile back to a website that made custom urns for pet remains- they were the cutest little wooden boxes, and you could get them sort of etched with a little line drawing of the dog if you wanted. Does anyone remember it? The urn we have is lovely, but impersonal.

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
Thank you so much everyone. It really helps to hear kind words from people that "knew" Rory, even if it was over the internet. a life less, that Rudyard Kipling poem is so sweet, thank you. I'm going to email it to Eric. And Instant Jellyfish, thank you! That first link you posted is the one I was thinking of.

Sleep well, little guy. Mommy loves you. Wait for me.

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish

Awwwww dat face :3:

Also Super, I really love how your room is decorated. The blue with the black and white- I die! I always notice it when you post pics.

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
I think Shifty Pony just means it's a shame that Super can't take Gumbo with her to her new place and he will be stuck with her parents.

But also YAAAAAAAAY!!!! for the new house!! I'm really, legitimately happy for you, I can't wait for you to get all moved in with your fiancee and start your happy new life :glomp:

quote:

As far as I know, Gumbo has been crammed into the role of "good dog" that means no drive, no barkbark, and will be warming Super's parents' floors for the foreseeable future.

Replied before I saw this, exactly.

mickeymickey fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 13, 2012

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
:stare: I found this on my car after I came out of Petsmart the other day:

Note the prominent typo right across the top! The site is still under construction, but I imagine it'll be like Craigslist for dogs, and then the two owners get to share the "profits" of selling the puppies? It's like backyard breeding gone viral :psyduck: I'm sort of tempted to email them and ask what the gently caress they're thinking. Or maybe suggest some catchy slogans to help with their marketing. "MateYourDog.net: Because There Are Never Enough Mutts"

Anyway, have some pictures of Amy to restore your faith in the world.

Sitting like a good girl:

Laying down like a good girl:

Note: no websites were used in the making of this mutt.

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
I'm so sorry Pew, that's so awful :( It takes time to get used to the idea that they're not around. I still sometimes expect to see Rory when I open the door. But you guys gave Corbin a great life, and I fully believe you'll see him again someday.

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish

Carebear posted:

Yes, dex is dextrose.

In addition to dextrose, potassium can be reeeeally hard on tissue if the IV infiltrates- do you happen to know what concentration it was running at? I guess it could also be caused by the bandage cutting off circulation, but it would have to be wrapped super tight and the swelling would have had to come up so fast. Not impossible, but it sounds more like a reaction to something in the drip. Either way, that really sucks :( I hope they can save the little guy's leg.

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish

HelloSailorSign posted:

I've never heard of potassium used in the levels of maintenance fluids being a problem getting into tissues in veterinary medicine - you've probably given an animal subq LRS, and that has potassium in it (not much, but it does).

If it was at a level where it might be a problem, and assuming that your kitty was fluid overloaded, then that would be heart-stopping levels, not leg sloughing levels.

Edit: Were the fluids 20% dextrose part of the clinic's standard procedure? That's pretty high for a peripheral vein (as opposed to using it in a central line).

Yeah, usually in maintenance fluids it's a fairly low concentration. Just throwing ideas around. Although if the IV infiltrated the potassium wouldn't necessarily have cardiac effects, since it would probably all be hanging around in the muscle, causing tissue damage.

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
One day Super will find her biological parents and they'll be these really enlightened pet owners who responsibly breed hunting dogs or something and will welcome her and her fiancee into their family with open arms and pay for her wedding and her mortgage to make up for all the lost time :allears:

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
Guys.

GUYS.

I just found out what "beef pizzle" is.

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS BEFORE

:stare:

mickeymickey fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 26, 2013

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish

ahahahahaha I distinctly remember you posting this picture the first time because of Lola's little penis toy

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
There was serious drama at the dog park today. Two dogs (both looked like some kind of pit mix) got into it, and the owners ran over to break it up. The one guy started yelling "Get off my dog! Get off my dog! This is the second time! This is the second time that little shitbag--" etc. etc. He also threatened to kick and/or punch the dog. He then inspected his dog, and I guess something was wrong with its eye, because he proceeded to start screaming about how "someone was going to pay for that!" As he was taking his dog out of the park another dog tried to sniff it and he made a fist like he was going to punch THAT dog in the face, which of course drew alarm from the other dog owners. Later we saw him lurking around outside the park on his phone, so we think maybe he called the police and was waiting for them to come? :psyduck:

I totally feel for the guy, especially if the other dog had been aggressive in the past and the owner continued to bring it to the park, but he was being a massive dick to everyone and totally mishandling the situation. You can't be cursing in front of kids and threatening to punch random dogs and then expect anyone to be a witness on your behalf. Although to be fair, the other dog owner, as well as the other people there, seemed to be shrugging it off like "Eh, it's a dog park, poo poo happens," which would be pretty infuriating if your dog had actually been injured. I wish I could find out what happened, but it was getting cold and dark and we left pretty soon after that.

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
Uhhh what the gently caress is wrong with my dog's eye

It was looking kind of red for a couple hours and now it looks like this. Is it her tear duct? We're taking her to the vet on Tuesday anyway for shots so they can look at it then, but in the meantime do I need to freak out?

Edit: upon googling, it appears to be cherry eye. Confirm/deny?

mickeymickey fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

None of us can tell you for sure, man. Even the vets would have to have hands on to be able to say yes or no. It's even in our rules. Your vet will help much more than any of us can. Poor girl. :(

Oh no, I know! Sorry, I can see how that sounded like I was soliciting medical advice- it was late and I was worried. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some really obvious thing that anyone besides a total n00b could identify. Like I said, were taking her to the vet on Tuesday anyway so I can ask then. I'm glad I took a picture because this morning it's totally back to normal, but I want to show them what it looked like just in case.

• Locked thread