Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Going to propose the extremely scientific definition that a naval power is one that considers a small island far from its core an exciting prize to win in a war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rome was happy to get England so it fits that definition

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"
If we are looking for an empire that was most certainly not a maritime empire, the Assyrians meet that standard:

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

CrypticFox posted:

If we are looking for an empire that was most certainly not a maritime empire, the Assyrians meet that standard:

We're not owned, we're not owned! we muttered to ourselves as we slowly turned into corncobs.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I also propose that even if they had been experts at sailing on the Euphrates, that "Maritime" refers specifically to sea navigation and not to river, as they're actually pretty different things.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CommonShore posted:

I also propose that even if they had been experts at sailing on the Euphrates, that "Maritime" refers specifically to sea navigation and not to river, as they're actually pretty different things.

"Maritime" would also imply that your navy was itself a military threat and primary means of power projection, rather than a trucking company to haul land troops around.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

CrypticFox posted:

quote:

I loaded onto boats my fierce Astartes, who do not know fear :hmmyes:

Isn't this also the dweeb who boasted about being carried in a sedan chair over a mountain?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kylaer posted:

Isn't this also the dweeb who boasted about being carried in a sedan chair over a mountain?

If the all-conquering army is carrying you around because you said so I feel like that’s a gigachad power move

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kylaer posted:

everest thread is that way <----

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

Kylaer posted:

Same dude:

It's no wonder he ended up being assassinated

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

gently caress I love the Assyrian style of writing applied to "I walked on my own two feet like a big boy"

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Kinda the exact inverse of Grand Fromage's argument.

The US kinda heavily handicapped its civilian maritime aspect because it's illegal for most ships to go directly from US port to US port. It's weird and dumb.

You uh do not understand what the Jones Act actually is. Foreign flagged container vessels go us port to us port all the time.

What the Jones act requires is that cargo going from a US port to a US port be on a US flagged ship.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
never mind.
tiredposting.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

cheetah7071 posted:

Going to propose the extremely scientific definition that a naval power is one that considers a small island far from its core an exciting prize to win in a war

Bird poo probably ruins this one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

They grow corn in Iowa my man. What has to happen to sell commodity corn?

Trains, river barges, and ships. Farmers know how that works because their livelihood depends on it. They certainly will be familiar with Cargill and Louis Dreyfus.

You wildly overestimate how well farmers tend to understand goddamn anything besides maybe their day to day job.

Also I feel like naval technology, doctrine and designs at the time need to be taken into account, it's entirely possible Rome and Carthage didn't have major naval battles because their ships were not set up for it and it was enough trouble just to get them sailing in the right direction, let alone ramming into each other.

ed: On another note, I present to you one piece of evidence America is a maritime culture: In The Navy.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Sep 25, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes it’s possible rome and Carthage didn’t have naval battles

Lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You wildly overestimate how well farmers tend to understand goddamn anything besides maybe their day to day job.

Also I feel like naval technology, doctrine and designs at the time need to be taken into account, it's entirely possible Rome and Carthage didn't have major naval battles because their ships were not set up for it and it was enough trouble just to get them sailing in the right direction, let alone ramming into each other.

ed: On another note, I present to you one piece of evidence America is a maritime culture: In The Navy.

My friend that is an all time understatement lol

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure which side Ghost Leviathan is insulting more here, the Romans or the Carthaginians

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wait, what?

Rome and Carthage absolutely had major naval battles.

Is that :thejoke:?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
In retrospect I'm not surprised if I'm wrong but I am not up on the Punic Wars at all besides the whole Hannibal thing. More that I'm wondering whether it was a priority on at least the Roman side to have lots of ships specifically for fighting other ships on the sea or more just as a means of getting legions from one shore to the other.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

In retrospect I'm not surprised if I'm wrong but I am not up on the Punic Wars at all besides the whole Hannibal thing.

You are insanely wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpGMSzgd8eg

Incidentally in this battle the "maritime" Carthaginians get absolutely rinsed by the "non-maritime" Romans.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah depending on how "size of battle" gets measured it's still the largest naval battle in history. Leyte Gulf beats it on a couple of criteria.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ghost Leviathan posted:

In retrospect I'm not surprised if I'm wrong but I am not up on the Punic Wars at all besides the whole Hannibal thing. More that I'm wondering whether it was a priority on at least the Roman side to have lots of ships specifically for fighting other ships on the sea or more just as a means of getting legions from one shore to the other.

With no snark, the largest battle Rome and Carthage ever fought was a naval battle, Ecnomus. There were many other naval battles besides this one.

In very, very, very tl;dr terms, at the start of the 1st Punic Wars Rome was a land power with little or no navy, while Carthage was all about trade and sea power - so Rome built a navy. Their "one simple trick (Carthagenians hate this)" was a movable boarding plank with a spike that could "pin" ships next to each other so the Romans could send soldiers/marines over as a boarding party. Rome won a series of naval battles and eventually defeated Carthage. This is why in the 2nd Punic War Hannibal had to move over land/across the Alps; he couldn't move his army by sea.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I can't believe the corvus worked that well, it's something I would've come up with in the 3rd grade

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It is the quintessential Roman solution, find a way to build a road and march a legion across it.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Tunicate posted:

It is the quintessential Roman solution, find a way to build a road and march a legion across it.

This is an excellent post.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

The corvus probably made the ships less stable though, there is a theory that the corvus may have contributed to the bafflingly high number of ships and fleets the Romans lost to shipwrecks in the First Punic war. Since they stopped using it after the First Punic war ended, there probably were significant drawbacks to it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Think of all the disappointed Roman engineers after the Senate decided to go with stupid ship bridge instead of draining the entire Med

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
Yeah I think the first Punic war ties very well to this discussion of was Rome a maritime empire or not because wasn't it a big thing that Romans really didn't have the knowhow or expertise to challenge Carthagians at sea? Romans being more comfortable with land power while Carthagians were the naval might that in turn relied on mercenaries while on land. So Romans kinda jump started their whole military naval tradition by researching some Carthagian ship that had beached during a storm IIRC.

And then there was that whole thing with Romans using boarding brigdes to attack enemy ships because they are a land power and well by Mars, Carthagians might be better sailors but we'll just bring the legions and land power to sea..... Dunno how much of this is just pop history image but that's how my history teacher taught it.

Edit: beaten like carthagian sailors by sea sick legionaries

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

CrypticFox posted:

The corvus probably made the ships less stable though, there is a theory that the corvus may have contributed to the bafflingly high number of ships and fleets the Romans lost to shipwrecks in the First Punic war. Since they stopped using it after the First Punic war ended, there probably were significant drawbacks to it.

Yeah, it was a short time deal really, once the Carthaginians knew about it, it lost a lot of its power. The whole thing was it was a giant surprise that the Romans seemingly were positioning their fleet badly, when they actual intent was not to ram and sink other boats, but only hit them hard enough to hook the corvus on. Once you know that is their plan, you just need guys on the ships ready for it and the spontaneous boarding parties become a lot less feasible, along with intentionally avoiding scenarios where that can occur.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

CrypticFox posted:

I seriously doubt this. An oared warship is big - look at the reconstruction of the Greek trireme Olympias:

A corvus as described isn't going to weigh enough to make that ship noticeably more unseaworthy, especially when it's laid flat while not in use. If anything the Romans probably lost more ships at sea because they were new to the boat business and not as good at dealing with weather. Another possibility is that due to the fact that they were at war they were acting more aggressively, sending out ships into more dangerous conditions due to military necessity.

I understand that the "corvus make ships sink" theory has been floated by academics, but I can't help but wonder how much practical sailing experience they have.

Also, it was not used in the 2nd Punic War because they didn't need it. The big naval battle of that war (Lilybaeum) involved about 20 vs 35 ships. The days of massive fleet battles were over.

Glah posted:

Yeah I think the first Punic war ties very well to this discussion of was Rome a maritime empire or not because wasn't it a big thing that Romans really didn't have the knowhow or expertise to challenge Carthagians at sea? Romans being more comfortable with land power while Carthagians were the naval might that in turn relied on mercenaries while on land. So Romans kinda jump started their whole military naval tradition by researching some Carthagian ship that had beached during a storm IIRC.

And then there was that whole thing with Romans using boarding brigdes to attack enemy ships because they are a land power and well by Mars, Carthagians might be better sailors but we'll just bring the legions and land power to sea..... Dunno how much of this is just pop history image but that's how my history teacher taught it.

Edit: beaten like carthagian sailors by sea sick legionaries

None of this makes them "not a sea power." As it is, they made themselves a sea power, took on the other sea power (Carthage), and defeated them at sea.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If the Roman empire had survived to the present we would have atlantropa wouldn't we

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

CrypticFox posted:

Theory doesn’t seem especially necessary to me tbh. Polybius discusses the Punic war fleet disasters and gives fairly reasonable explanations for them without mentioning the corvus (which he originally brings up precisely in the context that the Roman ships were not good enough to win battles on their own). What he says is that on top of the ships not being very sturdy to begin with, Roman commanders were landsmen who felt they were smarter than their experts and, coming from a mindset of land warfare where the answer is always more dudes working harder, didn’t understand that you can’t work harder than time and tide. So they got caught off dangerous coasts in dangerous weather and ate poo poo en masse. Histories 1.37 and 1.54.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Cessna posted:

None of this makes them "not a sea power." As it is, they made themselves a sea power, took on the other sea power (Carthage), and defeated them at sea.

I'm not sure I follow. I tried to say that they weren't a sea power before first Punic war where they became one.

Lots of things change about the character of Roman society throughout times. That kinda comes with the territory when talking about a time spans of millennia.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Glah posted:

I'm not sure I follow. I tried to say that they weren't a sea power before first Punic war where they became one.

Lots of things change about the character of Roman society throughout times. That kinda comes with the territory when talking about a time spans of millennia.

I was responding to the "And then there was that whole thing with Romans using boarding brigdes to attack enemy ships because they are a land power and well by Mars, Carthagians might be better sailors but we'll just bring the legions and land power to sea..... " part. Specific methods of fighting (using boarding parties) isn't going to determine if you're a sea power or not.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Cessna posted:

I was responding to the "And then there was that whole thing with Romans using boarding brigdes to attack enemy ships because they are a land power and well by Mars, Carthagians might be better sailors but we'll just bring the legions and land power to sea..... " part. Specific methods of fighting (using boarding parties) isn't going to determine if you're a sea power or not.

Well obviously not. What determines if you are a sea power is if you win battles at sea and control it. And Romans obviously won, so...

Unless you think that I meant that using boarding parties means that seas somehow become land then lol no.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, oceans didn't become battlefields until April, 1805

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cessna posted:

Yeah, they were such a dominant sea power that they turned the most important sea in their world into their own private lake, and kept it that way without challenge for almost 500 years.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What was the Roman conception of the oceans outside of the Med? I presume they had some shipping that ran in the Bay of Biscay and up to England, but did they ever turn left at Gibraltar and sail/row down the African coastline? What did they think lay over those horizons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

zoux posted:

What was the Roman conception of the oceans outside of the Med? I presume they had some shipping that ran in the Bay of Biscay and up to England, but did they ever turn left at Gibraltar and sail/row down the African coastline? What did they think lay over those horizons?

The Greeks before them definitely sailed a fair way down the coast of Africa, and basically decided it wasn't worth it. Rome also had communications as far east as India and possibly China so they'd have had an idea of 'over to the east there's lots more water' too I would expect. Oh, and the Middle East, which was a border zone between Rome and e.g. Parthia/Sasania right up until this inconvenient Mohammed guy turned up so they'd have known about the Red Sea.