Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Smoothrich posted:

And you're worse at satire but I'm not posting about it.

Really, though, do you think haha is a form of punctuation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

LingcodKilla posted:

None of this has anything to do with butt stuff.

Well David and Jonathan may have liked butt stuff, if their butts existed at all of course.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

captkirk posted:

Are there actually scholars who come to that conclusion? I've only ever seen people who project modern ideas about affection and intimacy onto history talk about it.

I doubt it, but I don't know; that sort of thing always felt like trying to mentally diagnose historical figures. But hey sexuality was quite different back then so maybe that affection for each other was more than just bros. We'll obviously never know.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
The Arles arena was posted a bit earlier but I wanted to add some more about Arles because it's a cool and good town that I studied abroad in. It's got a fair bit of Roman history still kicking around: the arena of course, but there's also the theatre (not in as good shape as the arena is, unfortunately), a necropolis, an obelisk, a pretty good museum with a bunch of Roman stuff, and parts of an aqueduct and mill, which is the greatest known concentration of mechanical power in the ancient world (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbegal_aqueduct_and_mill). Plus it's in southern France so the weather, wine, and food is all top notch--vacation in Arles! It's nearby Avignon too so you can check out the pope palace fortress and other fun stuff. Not ancient history but Van Gogh spent some time there and the world's oldest person (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Calment), whose father owned a fabric shop in Arles, met Van Gogh when she was 13 and he was in buying canvass. She described him as "dirty, badly dressed and disagreeable", and "very ugly, ungracious, impolite, sick".

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Tao Jones posted:

That's why so many states have Latin mottoes.

And why New Jersey is still corrupted by Roman mafiosi.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Baron Porkface posted:

On a scale of Pilate to Juden, who killed Jesus?

It was me, all me.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

My Imaginary GF posted:

Can lasers be used to discover aquaducts?

Also, why not use LIDAR to discover potential roads in the Americas?

Bolivia, more specifically.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

feedmegin posted:

About the same as if you robbed a mafia don today?

And thus the Newark is the new Rome theory is proven true.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

NikkolasKing posted:

I haven't seen the HBO series.

You need to fix this.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I'm offended by my exclusion on the list as well.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Arglebargle III posted:

Again, any actual evidence? This feels like just-so stories to me.

You got any evidence outside of humans could walk from Alaska to Cape Horn faster than it took permanent settlements to spread and leave traces?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

xthetenth posted:

Was there actually more than one independent discovery of ironworking?

I think the Bantu used to be considered as one, but there's more debate on it now if I remember correctly. Behold my confidence!

e: oh god was it the reverse and people just assumed Africans couldn't have invented it on their own? I now can't remember if it was an underestimation of cultural exchange or good old-fashioned racism. Someone with more than a passing knowledge of ancient African historiography please correct me.

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 16, 2016

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Tony Soprano is definitely the best fictional emperor I think we can all agree on that.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Knockknees posted:

That was his son. Thorir exploded something else. Exploding runs in the family.

Giant exploder was my dad's name call me dwarf exploder.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Cyrano4747 posted:

Just about every nationality does this. I've met plenty of Europeans who though everything positive in the world emanated from them and took delight in pointing out how backwards Americans are in various ways. Same deal with Koreans, actually, and an assumption that everything good in the world has emanated from their peninsula. Those are just my personal experiences, I'm sure just any group of people you choose to name has those elements.

I once got into a very drunken argument with a Frenchmen at a wine bar who claimed that America had never created any art forms. Blues and jazz didn't count because they were mainly created by African-Americans? TV didn't count because the Farnsworths were recent immigrants or something, whelp. And on and on.

It was in Arles where there's Roman stuff and that is how it relates to this thread.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

packetmantis posted:

I would pay a lot of money for a Mr. Bean in Rome movie.

Plus he already speaks movie Latin!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Ainsley McTree posted:

A ryecameral mind, of sorts.

Finale of Yeastworld really made the rest of the season worth it.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

and neither of them actually killed a million gauls :agesilaus:

Can't make this comparison yet! Maybe he'll want Trump wines to take over Bordeaux.

And what did cause the shift in (western) Roman xenophobia? I assume the crisis of the third century, worsening economy, weaker government, etc, but I'm just guessing and would appreciate somebody who actually knows.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
The mil hist thread seems like the de facto general history thread. Spans all of history and you can't military history without social, economic, etc history these days. I don't think anyone has ever been run out because their history related question fell into the wrong sub field. And if ya don't give a drat about the minute differences between tank model A vs tank model A.01 those types of posts are easy enough to scroll past.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I still don't know why wojtek dropped the bomb on Hiroshima when the Americans had so many tank destroyers ready to invade.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Jamwad Hilder posted:

There's one in the Academia subforum for Ask Tell.

That one is more for history grad students and historiography though.

Man there's a lot of history threads scattered about.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

appreciate the congrats

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I was at a bar that was playing a terrible 60s spy movie, Fathom, and at one point a character opens a mysterious briefcase with... cabbage.

I made a Cato joke and nobody laughed :(

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Grand Fromage posted:

I would still pay a significant amount of money if someone actually made that.

Agreed. I'd prefer a more classical Caesar though.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

GoutPatrol posted:

I'm American, I just enjoy the cartooning style of David Pope :worship:

Well in case you're not a New Yorker you should check out the New Yorker, a New York magazine full of great articles and lovely cartoons.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Jazerus posted:

There must have been one incredibly unhappy rabbi the day he was born.

Well 8 days after he was born.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Visiting Mt Vernon or Monticello let alone places such as Versailles quickly reveals that the wealthy of the past weren't very much into understated design.

And hell "money doesn't buy taste" and its variations are still sayings for a reason. McMansions and chromed out Escalades and their ilk are eternal.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If you drink a bunch of vodka, smoke a cigarette, eat a ton of pizza and fries, then vomit into a flush toilet, you've just had an evening of delights that were not available to even the mightiest of the ancient Romans.

Don't forget to contract syphilis during your gently caress you Caesar bender.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

OwlFancier posted:

Though I cannot imagine a society that could function without the potato.

Or Italian cuisine without the tomato.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
It actually took a while for Italians (this is Italy so obvious caveat of it varies greatly by region) to catch onto the tomato. It wasn't until the 19th century that it became common in cooking despite being introduced hundreds of years ago and grown as ornamentation.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Grevling posted:

I've often wondered what ancient wines would have been like.

There are some secluded areas in Europe that avoided the phylloxera blight and so still have native vines. Again, not exact, but the bottle I had was different though not cheap.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

It has been proven that cabbage makes you both warlike and gassy. Possibly the two are linked.

Need more airable land.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Should have more red in his casting cost as well.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Cyrano4747 posted:

By the standards of 2017? Sure, I guess.

By the standards of any time before ~1500? No, not really.

Could probably bump 1500 up to 1946, or never.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
It's odd to embrace the fact that historical subjects have agency but then reject that agency when it's applied to the personal level.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

I apologize, GF, I have nothing but the greatest respect for you. I have strong opinions, and I don't always express them in the best way. I have been trying to say that the study of history has moved on from a 'people and places' sort of narrative to the study of things like ice cores, tax rolls, cultivation patterns, and the use of certain words over time. I had no idea that fully discredited "Great Man" theory was so prevalent in this thread and I was genuinely shocked. I apologize to you for my words. I apologize for how they were expressed. I do not apologize for the ideas behind them.

Still doing the straw man thing I see.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

As usual, fishmech is technically correct, but nothing else.

Au contraire, technically correct is the best kind of correct.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

homullus posted:

No skull deformation required

The skull deformation comes AFTER you put those on.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
My (clearly bitter) naval supply officer dad has a poster with this Ike quote: "You will not find it difficult to prove that battles, campaigns, and even wars have been won or lost primarily because of logistics."

And, yeah, there's plenty more military logistics quotes. Admiral King had some good ones I believe. The controversial opinion would be the reverse and I don't think you'd find many military historians or career officers who would argue that side.

e: forgot I was in the ancient history thread and not the military one, but agricultural administration probably is even more important in ancient times that my point still stands.

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Arglebargle III posted:

Not sure I would call irrigation or bronze plows or tax administration "logistics" but whatever.

Sure, not the plow as much though bronze doesn't grow everywhere, but when it comes to "agricultural administration" and coordinating irrigation routing and building it's a pretty vital part of the bureaucracy.