Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is it sacrilegious to ask about the Holy Roman Empire in this thread?

Is it correct to say that a lot of the detail of how the eastern part of Carolingian Empire morphed into the HRE is lost to history? And that a lot of the details of the early Empire in detail aren’t known for sure? Like I’m confused how the Kingdom of Germany functioned within the Carolingian and then HRE and why it seems to disappear sometime in the high to late Middle Ages. What happened to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So when you see a map of Europe in the year 1000 and there’s a large solid mass labeled Kingdom of Germany taking up most of the space of the larger Holy Roman Empire outline it isn’t actually a tangible “Kingdom”? What makes it different than the Kingdom of France which, yes I know was very decentralized in that early period but is still recognized as a dedicated thing?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 13, 2019

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What are some good books on the HRE? Peter Wilson recently put out a big book but from what I’ve read it’s less of a narrative history and more of a survey of different themes. Everything else I can find that is recently published covers just the Hapsburg period, I can’t find anything about the years 800-1400 that isn’t some $200 Cambridge University volume.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What was the gradual process of the title of Emperor being diminished as so sacred a thing in Europe? In 800 it was believed that God ordained that there could only be one Christian Empire on Earth (obviously the Pope didn’t count the Romans in the East) but flash forward a thousand years to the 19th century and there were at least 3 plus the British in India.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Well the British weren't Catholic by that point, so that probably had something to do with it.

So what you’re saying is the Austro-Hungarians were the only legitimate Empire?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Why did the Pope find it so important to awkwardly bestow the title onto Charlemagne so he could stick it to the Eastern Romans?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

How come it’s now usually agreed upon that the Holy Roman Empire didn’t “begin” until Otto was crowned in the 960s when Charlemagne was crowned in 800? Is the difference a modern historical construct or was it recognized at the time that there was a difference?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I find the HRE just absolutely fascinating. Please everyone give me your most interesting HRE factoids!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

How much of the history of all the different polities in the HRE can be summed up as “fake it till you make it”?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Clergy could be and often were both feudal lords within the structure of the church AND as separately as a layman under the Imperial structure.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Oh did napoleon do any sorting out? I thought he just abolished (or caused the abolishment of) the office of emperor and then Prussia and Austria spent a century sorting through the resulting mess.

The Austrian Emperor not Napoleon technically abolished the title.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

HEY GUNS posted:

more HRE facts: the Diet's last official act was to dissolve itself, so Napoleon couldn't crown himself Emperor. It's the "you can't fire me I quit" of geopolitics, and I love it

I love how the Habsburg Archduke just decided to make his own Empire with his own Title like he was Bender.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Totally pointless grand gestures in the name of nationalism have a habit of being inexplicably popular.

It’s how the British Monarchy makes a living.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Does Germany still have regional animosities? Are there those who long for the return of the Kingdom of Bavaria?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

One day I’m gonna play the EU 4 Voltaire’s Nightmare mod.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So since all of the Chinese history people are in here I’ll ask here, is Jonathan Spence’s The Search for Modern China still the best book on the history of modern China?

Also how good/bullshit is Mao The Unknown Story

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 16, 2019

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What was unique about 17th century warfare?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Was the warfare of the 30 years war really that different from the wars of the mid to late 16th century?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

No way would Rome have surrendered if Hannibal marched on the city. He didn’t have enough men to even surrounded the city and no siege equipment.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Which Roman Emperors can be definitively determined to be dumber than Donald Trump?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

This might literally be true and it makes me laugh.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Oh there is no doubt that Trump is the dumbest human being ever elected to high office. There have been more brain dead inbred people who have inherited titles though.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I’d be Charles II because I’m sure to leave a gigantic mess behind once I die.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Communist Walrus posted:

In the first season of Rome, Caesar is shown packing the Senate with Gauls. Did this actually happen, and if so, what became of them? I don't think they make another appearance in the series after their brief introduction, and it's easy to imagine the Roman senators being like "Thanks for your service but kindly gently caress off" after Caesar gets got.

Well sorta. He expanded the Senate to include a bunch of “Gauls” from the province of Cisalpine Gaul which is what is now modern day Northern Italy. Unlike their portrayal in the show as long haired Barbarians from the recently conquered territory of “Gaul” that is modern day France these “Gauls” would have been indistinguishable from any Roman as the province had been under Roman control for over 200 years. In fact a few years later Augustus would just outright do away with Cisapline Gaul all together and just make it a part of Italy proper.

The Senate did take offense to this because they were stuck up assholes who resented the New Men infringing on their turf. I’m not sure if any of the resentment was because they still considered them Barbarians or not.

Anyway the Senate would expand and contract numerous times over the next 30 years as the Trimumverate made a habit of murdering Senators they didn’t like and just packing the body with loyalists.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

How many senators were permitted from just outside of Rome (the city) period? This isn't so long after the civil war where Rome was putting down the Italians for making demands to be treated equally. I thought a lot of the power of the Republic's government was focused in the power being from Rome specifically, and that was why the outlying territories wound up being so okay with the establishment of the Empire.

And of course, this is part of Caesar's victory lap after winning the civil war over the legality of the campaign he made through Gaul gaul as governor of Cisalpine gaul. So he's backing up his powergrab by packing the senate with a bunch of hicks from ancient Missouri, obviously because they're his buddies.

There were plenty of senators from Roman territory scattered across Italy. Prior to the Social War like a third of the peninsular was under direct Roman control and everyone living there were full citizens.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Not being born within the walls of Rome itself must have bugged Cato so loving bad.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Wanna go back in time and tell Cato (both the elder and junior) that in the future the most powerful and idolized Roman will be some Spaniard.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Trajan

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It’s not too hard to believe that the Empire declined and collapsed in a much shorter frame of time than was usually believed. 400ish-476ish is about the same amount of time between the death of Commodus and the Crisis of the 3rd Century. It’s just that no one was able to pick up all of the pieces and reassemble the Empire the second time around although Justinian gave it the old college try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Well Justinian thought there was a point since he, well, tried to do it.