Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uinfuirudo
Aug 11, 2007

BrainDance posted:

I dont know enough about Roman culture, or that anyone does, but how much of that survived to the present? Sorry, another really vague question, but how much is my culture as an American Roman?

Like, if we were comparing modern Korea to Qing China?

Lets say, for example the traditional "individualist vs collectivist" society distinction. Did the European individualism come from Rome?

Well there is pretty widespread historical background of everyone wanting some claim on Roman tradition. How much of it is an actual connection to the actual happenings and history of the Roman empire is clearly up for debate.

Well if we are comparing a relatively late coming Manchu dynasty in China that never actually ruled Korea, probably not so much, the Qing were more Chinese than Manchu by the end, and today Manchu is basically a dead culture in that manchu and han chinese are basically indistinguishable from each other. If we look at the Han and Tang Dynasties we find a lot more things that were passed along like religion, an entire writing system, governmental structures, and even some foodstuff.

Nope, then again I find that "individualist vs collectivist" paradigm to be utterly flawed. You can argue that individualism and collectivism is potentially from romans/chinese but in reality its pretty hard to base a concept that is relatively modern 19th century concept in the deep past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uinfuirudo
Aug 11, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

As a former New Jersey resident I can confirm it is the worst place on Earth and I'm offended that there's a Roman connection to the name. For Latin questions I can highly recommend the Science, Academics, and Languages thread since that's full of people who speak it, and I do not.

Well than we should go for neo ceaseria just to irk you more...

uinfuirudo
Aug 11, 2007
Do we know how events in other societies affected Mediterranean societies? IE did the collapse of the Han Dynasty have any effect on Roman society, did it exacerbate any economic issues during the crisis of the third century? or did it just happen at about the same time?

uinfuirudo
Aug 11, 2007
Im way late on this, but here is the best description of Roman racism vs pressent racism:

There was simply not a huge difference "Roman" and "Romanized" at some level, but more importantly most racism in the US that is legitimately studied is based on White vs Black dynamic, which is simply a dynamic that Rome never had in the sense of one privileged "race" vs an under privileged "race". There is tons of obvious 'racism' that went around here before and nobody noticed as in how the Romans viewed Greek people, however that is not fitting in our modern concept of racism.

The real reason we dont see it is that racism and our modern views on racism are all sorts of broken. Racism is a very specific subset of a wider series of issues generally assumed as dealing with Gemeinschaft and the other, not a specific thing that is unique in itself, all sorts of bigotry, and xenophobia are literally in their own right indeterminable from racism as in how they work.