Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CommonShore posted:

There was some belief that tomatoes were poisonous because of their similarity to deadly nightshade, but iirc it wasn't a general or widespread belief.

And corn was once thought to be poisonous because people who ate too much (ie nothing else) came down with pellagra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ras Het posted:

This is because white people never bothered to nixtamalize the corn. It's a good example of how we take other cultures' foods without understanding their preparation at all. Another good example is people eating raw maca flour and then complaining of stomach aches

Even if you nixtamalise you're still going to want to vary your diet a bit. Add beans and squash, say.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

Anyone not saying distillation is a person who hasn't drank enough.

The Coffey continuous still. I am going to be so loving rich.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

okay but what is the best modern technology you can bring the romans provided you are restricted to technologies that are directly focused on producing and preparing cabbage

Nitrate mining?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Actually I assume that as long as your fuel is wood you're probably out of luck because a hot air balloon has to lift its own fuel and wood is heavy. I haven't done the math but I wouldn't be surprised if you have to have a much denser fuel to make it all work.

I think charcoal works. Harder to adjust than gas though, so altitude control could be an issue.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

fishmech posted:

Many of the balloon flights of the US Civil War were done with wood fires simply because it was cheap, available, and you needed to get back to the ground quickly anyway to pass on important detail.

Couldn't you just wrap your message around a brick and drop it? Let the cavalryman assigned as liaison retrieve it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I would kind of like to see Rome spend the equivalent of the F35 budget on making a hot air balloon out of silk.

Combat effectiveness would probably be pretty similar.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

fantastic in plastic posted:

Could Hannibal have conquered Rome if he had nuclear weapons?

I think 'conquer' implies that you get to keep it afterwards.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

The Egyptians refused to use bronze because they didn't invent it (also because they didn't have a native source of tin and weren't about to be dependent on anyone for it). They cut the stones for the pyramids with copper tools.

Are there any other alloying materials you can use to make faux-bronze? Arsenic?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

is my hat big and fluffy enough

Answer: No.
Your hat can always be bigger and fancier.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

I assumed that a Horse drawn cart would be better for short distances since you don't have to be trapped on a boat for weeks and die of a disease form the disease pit that is a ship.

Coastal shipping is way safer and healthier than cross-ocean shipping.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ithle01 posted:

If you win you're not really a pretender anymore are you?

And furthermore you never were.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

This is what i know about iron-age Finland

1) Smoked meat makes good currency
2) Njerpez are assholes

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I assume you already know this but you'll also want to read the Viking sagas. Those are written many centuries after the period in question, but modern archaeology/scholarship supports the idea that they are largely based on real events and contain useful historical information.

Such as: the Vikings loving loved lawsuits and complicated legal proceedings.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Here's a Pompeii cat mosaic on the early internet.

A bit pixellated but I suppose they needed to limit themselves to low res images.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

What, like moreso than humans?

Humans are just a domesticated helper the cats bring along.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You need to fire the limestone and turn it into lime, right? Not just plain limestone?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Just killing them by hand?

No it's a very detailed and magical ritual that just happens to involve inserting a dagger into your intended victim's heart as part of step 14.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Don Gato posted:

What if I want to kill someone but don't want to physically leave my house, what then smart guy?

That's right, we use magic to kill them.

Or money. Money works too.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Was the wine premixed in cups, or did they bring out a pitcher of neat wine and you water it yourself?
If it was the first, how did you make sure the popina was using the correct amount of water / not adding extra to make more profit?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Being absolutely immune to the enemy's weapons means the tank destroyer probably wins, but the Romans can always dig a big tiger trap and bait the tank into it.

Then release it into the Arena.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Hey give me some counter examples for "gold has always had trade value for 10,000 years"

Where?

I mean, if you showed an Australian aborigine circa 1200CE some gold he'd say "what" and probably be little interested in trading for it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Arc lamps need a shitload of juice though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

unwantedplatypus posted:

can it be used as a weapon?

Pretty sure it's flammable, so yes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Doesn't using unrefined coal for metalworking leave you with sulfur contamination in your iron?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think it's called a cestus.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Yeah my favorite mindfuck is the relative lateness of the introduction of the bow and arrow. You get reaaal fancy pottery before you get them.

Its also super easy to see in the archaeological record which is nice.

Don't you need to be pretty on top of wood selection/seasoning/shaping to make a bow powerful enough to kill things? It might have been tried many times before that, but abandoned for being poo poo.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

skasion posted:

That’s it, they must have hosed with the ducks

Did you know that there are (were) no mammals in New Zealand? Just avians, filling in all the normal mammal roles.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Something that came up in a different thread:
Could you smelt/work bronze if you were limited to seasoned wood as a fuel (not charcoal) ? How much of a pain in the rear end would it be?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

Surely if you have wood you can make charcoal? Or is the assumption that the person doing the smelting doesn't know how to make it?

In this case charcoal making hasn't been discovered for complicated reasons.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CommonShore posted:

It's possible to fire porcelain with seasoned wood, that's well above what's needed for bronze, so yes it's is easily within the realm of possibility.

Thanks. Are there any later stages in the process that need a good fire, or once you've cast it is it all cold-working from there?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

And white. Ceramic was my first assumption reading the story.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Don Gato posted:

So did the Romans think of other gods as equivalents to their own gods or did they see the world more as "my God can beat up your God"? I'm sorry if this is an obvious question but I've been having trouble figuring out how the Romans saw religion.

"What do you mean 'your' god? They're my gods now."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Grevling posted:

Truly there is nothing new under the sun!

Except Sea People.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

edit-- Apparently Gaius Iulius Gai(i) filius Gai(i) nepos Caesar was rarely used, that would at least be easier to understand. I guess I need to read all about praenomina/nomina/cognomina.

This looks like a IUPAC nomenclature system for emperors.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's also quite possible that the same geographical causes that meant there were people there in Roman times / a reason for a road still apply today.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If you're hunting a Tiger I'm happy for you to use whatever pre-gunpowder weapon you want.
You'll still probably have to shadow it until it breaks down

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Here are the relevant parts from the code:

People hosed by pigs get no justice.

Does 'man' equate to 'person' in this context, or did they not bother to legislate re women?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They'll be saying similar things about 21st century archaeologists some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What sort of stuff do archaeologists do to try and leave rich finds of our current era for archaeologists of the year 2500?