Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

This talk of USA successor states and Cascadia reminds me of the It Could Happen Here podcast. It lays out a real plausible outline of a conflict that could lead to the fall of the USA and the rise of those successors. Also, it convinced me that Cascadia would be a lousy place to live since it would almost certainly be Christian Dominionist theocracy lead by Supreme Leader Matt Shea or some other similar nutjob.

I started listening to Mike Duncan's The History of Rome and I've been enjoying it. I like the short episode format. Thanks to all those that recommended it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

cheetah7071 posted:

How twin age is calculated is cultural as well. In east asia (I know for sure in Japan and I think in other places as well) the baby who comes out first is considered younger.

cursory googling in japanese suggests that perhaps this was a folk belief, but the current legal situation is that the first one out is older.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Jack2142 posted:

If America was Rome we would have invaded Persia months ago.

someone tell trump he's got to personally lead the troops in a sack ctesiphon to win re-election

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Crosspost

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Rochallor posted:

Taro with stuff attached to the front is not uncommon for firstborns (Joutarou, Soutarou, Rentarou) but I don't think I've ever met a Jiro who wasn't retired.

There are some names that incorporate numbers but aren't literally ''first son.'' I know a Shinichi who is not the oldest son, his parents just thought it sounded good.

Ichiro (一郎) is literally first son and p common still, plus lots of variants (Jun+, Shin+). Was a bit of a mindfuck when I found out The Ichiro has an older brother.

Different character (郎 vs 朗), but still a bit odd

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

CommunityEdition posted:

You’re all overthinking things. Liquidate assets, buy bitcoin, memorize wallet key. Boom, you’ve taken your wealth to the grave

techno viking funeral

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Grand Fromage posted:

oh that's dumb

Aurelian is one of my favorites. He accomplished more in less time than anyone else. Even Augustus, I think.

yeah, mike duncan's affection for aurelian rubbed off on me. we'd be talking about rome falling in the third or fourth centuries if it weren't for what he accomplished. i do think he's the wrong guy to be a fan of if you want poo poo to be reunited by force, tho. lotta politics involved in that.

guess we should be sorta glad that the arabs hosed up heraclius's poo poo after he took everything back from the persians. saved us from the chuds co-opting another emperor probably

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

just bolt on russell crowe's face imho. prank future archeologists

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

narrative history, basically by definition, has to have a point of view. a rooting interest is a natural offshoot of that. i feel like robin is very open about that and does a decent job of broadening the perspective during the end-of-the-century overviews. i know my hostile feelings toward the arabs loving up my man heraclius in the narrative warmed a whole lot when robin went into some depth on their origins in later episodes.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Gaius Marius posted:

Sulla was a dumb prick

lol

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

1054 Manzikert never forget.

:cry:

need a smiley like :911: that's a crying justinian mosaic. make it :1054:, :1204: and :1453:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

yeah, i've come to the somewhat common belief that the roman emperors didn't adopt their heirs because they were especially capable but because they had no other good options. the general tendency to go with offspring as heir whenever possible seems to back that up.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

"Rome" is like a championship belt: beat the current Rome and you're the new Rome. Russia got the belt in 1878, lost it to Germany in 1918 who then lost it to France immediately, back to Germany in 1940 and back to Russia in 45. They held it until 1991 when the US won it at the end if the Cold War. It is back in Russian hands since 2016. All hail Russia, the 10th Rome.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i want at least three Rome spin offs:

- Punic War(s)
- Marius v Sulla
- Crisis of the Third Century

Then they can move on to Byzantium

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

FreudianSlippers posted:

The world is divided on the big issues

this is magnum chaz erasure

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Gaius Marius posted:

The Republican Calendar is around the same way Esperanto is technically a spoken language. The only ones using it are contrarian pricks

I hope you have a terrible 25th of Nivôse then :colbert:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the revolutionary calendar is fun but not actually better or more useful than its predecessors

yeah, 5 day week is too weird. this is why the international fixed calendar is my reform calendar of choice. 13 Friday the 13ths every year, gently caress yeah.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

reykjavik is the fourth rome, change my mind

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Arglebargle III posted:

It's so obvious!

the folks that carry these are called lictors cuz they lick them

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Lady Radia posted:

im pretty happy to report none of the CS circles I'm in has a Paradox map gamer trying to argue Byzantine is a valid ethnicity

yah, they were romans, but i still think byzantine counts as an exonym even with a huge time gap. tho there were folk that still considered themselves romans into the 20th century https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemnos#Modern_period

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

FreudianSlippers posted:

Garibaldi invented Italians in the mid 19th century.

As a joke.

when will folks learn that practical jokes just aren't worth the risk of them going horribly wrong?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

doesn't the lack of 'w' save us from it being spelled "weni, widi, wici"?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Grand Fromage posted:

Uwueni, uwuidi, uwuici.

you son of a bitch

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Gaius Marius posted:

That kind of thinking can lead you astray real fast. Humans have ten fingers, twenty digits, 14 countable phalanges in each hand.

has there been any evidence to substantiate the idea that base-12 counting came from folks counting their non-thumb phalanges on one hand? i always liked that theory.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

ah yes, the universal empire

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

my intuition is that humans exist all along the hobbesian to rousseu-ian/lockeian spectrum, with folks that are afraid of losing access to/control of resources being more nasty and brutish. it scales absolutely and not relatively so that's why millionaires and billionaires afraid of increased taxes/revolution end up being the biggest assholes.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Glah posted:

I'm reminded of this article (https://www.theguardian.com/news/2022/sep/04/super-rich-prepper-bunkers-apocalypse-survival-richest-rushkoff) about billionare preppers asking consultants about how to organize the security of their fortresses of solitude after the 'collapse' (whatever that ends up being). About how to guarantee that their top notch security guards wont just decide to take over. But instead of listening to advice about sharing all the resources to instill communal feeling of shared purpose and survival, they just fantasized about ensuring their authority and "making guards wear disciplinary collars of some kind in return for their survival" and things like that. I'm like 50/50 if that article is just satire, but I can totally see that those kinds of billionares existing lmao.

the book that article is on, Survival of the Richest, and the Behind the Bastards episodes on "elite panic" are probably what is feeding my intuition. that and, you know, *gestures around*. i've definitely been listening to Tides of History largely through that lens as well.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Tulip posted:

I'd say that the idea that there is variation like this would be a rejection of the entire hobbesian-rousseain spectrum concept.

Which, to be clear, I think is a foolish framework and you're already getting deeper than that framework can handle. Hobbes and Rousseau can stand in for a basic question of "is the nature of man good or evil," but bluntly I think so many people conceptualize their idea of humanity outside that framework that unless you are specifically dealing with, for example, Hobbes and Rousseau, its easier to just not worry about it. I'm not even sure that I'd want to put other similar dichotomies on this spectrum, like Mengzi and Xunzi disagreed about what the nature of humanity and their role in society was, but to call Xunzi a Hobbesian feels not just inaccurate but even dishonest.

considering that the entirety of my knowledge of those philosophers is basically
HOBBES = PEOPLE BAD
ROUSSEAU = PEOPLE GOOD
scribbled on my palm, i'm not surprised it doesn't really hold up to much scrutiny. is there a philosopher that says human nature is too dependent on external circumstances to boil down to its true essence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

PittTheElder posted:

Have you seen a solar eclipse either at or near totality?

The 791 eclipse would have only been about 74% occlusion at Assur and also would have happened right around sunset on the Mediterranean coast, meaning the sun would have set over Mesopotamia. Frankly it's extremely unlikely it would have even been noticed.

E: like actually peep this map. You tell me a Syracusan wrote about the 791 eclipse I'll believe you, but not an Assyrian

annular eclipse is also not the same as a total eclipse. moon's too far away so it's angularly smaller than the sun.