Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Augustus was a crazy social conservative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Augustus came to mean the emperor, whether one or two at a time. Caesar came to mean a junior emperor, or heir to the title of emperor.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That is one of the cool things of the Vindolanda tablets: it shows "normal" people speaking and writing Latin in one of the farthest outposts of the empire.

Well I guess we just assume they were speaking it since they were writing it. I guess that is not a completely safe assumption.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rome stopped using the phalanx in the 310s or so during the Samnite wars.

BCE obviously.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why would you land an invasion force under the cliffs of Dover. (I didn't see the movie.)

Between Rome and Spartacus we have been spoiled with some great Rome TV.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They still prosecuted people for crimes. You could be fined, exiled, killed or enslaved if guilty.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The massive expense of the professional army is one of the 1,000,000 reasons why the west fell. (I know we had a huge discussion about whether it is right to say the west fell.) Paying all the soldiers destabilized the currency which lead to depressions. At one point the Roman empire reverted almost completely to a barter economy. For taxes, people paid in kind, rather than in coins. For example, a laborer would owe the state 15 days of labor and a horse breeder would owe the state 5 horses. The expense of the army also lead to ridiculous taxes (deficit spending had not been invented yet) which rich people ended up not really paying which lead to class conflict and another reason the west fell.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Orkiec posted:

How late did Roman Polytheism continue to exist? Not as in neopaganism or anything but when was it finally snuffed out of historical record?

I would say the closing of the Oracle at Delphi in 395 is as good an end date as any other.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Eggplant Wizard posted:

. Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure Apollo is a near eastern dude with new clothes on, but I may be misremembering.

I think he was conflated with the sun god worship from Syria.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Don't forget dinner parties and banquets. And hiring prostitutes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Numidians weren't "black" as it is understood today. Most likely.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You mean ebony?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Poetry is a good source.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hadrian was the first bearded emperor.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Nero was a brave avant-gardist where Hadrian was a successful popularizer.

Yeah that is what I was thinking.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

General Panic posted:

I would imagine that without modern technology actually mining anything was probably really difficult and dangerous, too. Even if you were prepared to expend a lot of slave labour doing it, there must have been limits to how much ore the Romans could physically get out of the ground.

Why? You just dig holes or melt hillsides with water. Check this out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_M%C3%A9dulas

Though that was gold, not iron.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

St Augustine was writing about the decline of Rome in 410 in the City of God.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TildeATH posted:

Where did Hannibal get his elephants from, anyway?

Extinct species that lived in north africa. Most of them. He had some asian ones too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

So he went to north Africa to stock up on elephants, then went over the alps to get into Italy?

Why didn't he just sail?

His home base was Spain. He marched from Spain to Rome.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Roman borders were mostly staffed with legions, auxiliary units and tax collectors. Most borders were natural: The Rhine, the Danube, the Euphrates, the Atlantic, the Sahara, the cataracts in the Nile. They also built borders like Hadrian's wall and the Limes Germanicus.

Roman power usually extended beyond the frontiers too.

Here is a recent radio show on Hadrian's Wall http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01kkr42

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Everyone knew the earth was round. It is obvious. The flat earth stuff is some weird Renaissance meme.

The Romans called the world "Orbis".

euphronius fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 17, 2012

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There was one point in the Dominate I think where inflation was so bad that taxes were actually collected in kind. Which is pretty amazing. The bureaucrats figured out how much stuff they needed each year and then apportioned it among the population based on people's jobs and wealth.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They ate shitloads of fish.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah. Odoacer for example was the Western Emperor in all be name.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The difference between the Preatorian Guard and the Secret Service is that the Guard was an actual military force that could defend itself against an attack by another legion and hold Rome and Italy hostage if they offed the emperor. The Secret Service would get routed if they killed the president.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sadly no one knows much about the beginnings of Rome and most of the stories are "merely" legends.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vitruvius was a "renaissance man". Before the Renaissance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitruvius

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think you guys and ladies are underestimating the degree to which Romans were (what we today call) racist. I can recall many instances where generals or other Romans and non Romans were blocked from higher political office because they weren't Latin or whatever. These racist attitudes were probably concentrated in the old Senate, which was cleansed after Caesar, but the attitudes lived on.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Don't forget Agrippina the Younger, who could validly claim to have been Empress of Rome with actual power.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Another way bankruptcy laws are designed to protect creditors is that they ensure that each creditor has a chance of getting some money back. With out any law, only one creditor would end up getting paid off (generally).

euphronius fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 30, 2012

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Caligula hated the Senate and it was a giant gently caress You to the Senate to make his horse Consul.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Doubtful if Caligula was insane. Inanity was a common smear. The aristocrats hated him because he killed them and took their land. Who knows if he was sane or not.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Claudius (well, his generals) invaded Britain with elephants.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Being a trireme rower would be an excellent weight loss method, that is for sure.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Guys Alexandria Eschate was REALLY far away from Greece. Here is a nice map.

Alexander was pretty amazing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

One cool think about Romania is that Romanian is a Romance language like Spanish or French or Italian, though I doubt many people would group it with those languages.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

I heard that rich Romans used to puke between every course just so they could stuff themselves some more, is this true?

It may have happened like it may have happened in any nation but it was not normal and Romans would have probably thought it was disgusting and immoral.

The Romans get portrayed as sinful and immoral by early Christian writers (polemicists) but they were not particularly hedonistic.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Behold! the decadent vomitorium in all its hedonistic and prurient glory!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fighting ships did not say near to shore because on shore would be giant gently caress-off guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pretty cool screen shot from a link in Komet's post