Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Don’t some old Stellas have weights and measurements on them .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Much of Pompeii has not been excavated yet so there is always hope

I would like the lost history of the Etruscans to be found

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Old kingdom is older than Sargon by a bit I think

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Uniting upper and lower Egypt qualifies as an empire to me at least. It’s an enormous state

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They asked about monoliths which the pyramids are not an example of. Unless we are taking a broad definition of monolith

The Egyptians had huge obelisks I would guess Becuase of the quality of their masons and quarries. But lots of cultures produced huge rocks

euphronius fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 24, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just land on the bottom of the pyramid duh

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

15th century Egypt expanded pretty far. The Hittites were able to stop them going into Asia Minor. I don’t know why they didn’t go into Iraq. Where else was there ? Greece and rome weren’t much then

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

And Nubia

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yea for sure, it's most definitely not a perfect 1:1 example, but if you look at a map of the ancient Egyptian kingdom, it's maybe around 1/2 of what modern Egypt is, plus much of modern day Israel, Syria, etc. It's a lot of land to rule.

That’s basically all of the 1500 bce civilizations except the Hittites and iraq. (Excluding Iran and west )

There was nothing else really going on in the Mediterranean then

It’s 600 years to Carthage. 600 years untill the Etruscans. 1000 (more or less ) until rome is a thing. Greece hasn’t even gotten to its dark ages yet. Crete was just getting started

And we (understandably) focus on the Mediterranean and near East but Nubia was and is enormous and wealthy and Egypt dominated it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also there was an enormous and long drought around 1200 bce which pretty much crippled Egypt (and everyone else )

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If only the Romans knew you could just print fiat money

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think they are the same god at all Zoux

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Christians worship a trinity which is not something Jews and Muslims really go for, for example. I don’t even think Christians are monotheist. But that is def arguable

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Every Christian I have met in the USA 100% does not worship the god of Abraham. At all.

Maybe a learned doctor of divinity could explain the connection to you if you asked them

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You worship Jesus ?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I understand and have in mind history but I’m mostly talking about how Christianity is practiced now in the various churches and tents across the world. No one is talking about the Holy Spirit (except maybe as mentioned those learned doctors of divinity)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CommunityEdition posted:

The Pentecostals would beg to differ.

Yea I did forget them

Sorry

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ok I’m sorry I forgot the Holy Spirit

Mea culpa

Still not Abraham’s god by definition

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lots of “YHWH loves you “ bumper stickers in the USA

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We should bring back the Chi Rho

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Unitarian is the last church I went to and that is not even Christian in the way it was practiced at all. Very vaguely

Edit

UU to be clear

euphronius fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 19, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Egyptians invented it. The Persians invented it. Celtic beliefs were erased who knows. There are monotheistic interpretations of Hinduism. Sikhism is arguably monotheistic. I don’t know about Chinese religions.

And I still argue Christianity is not monotheistic. If it monotheistic is then Hinduism is too

Edit

Forgot Rastafarianism

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zoroastrianism started way before Christianity for example.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How can Jesus be the god of Abraham. It makes no sense.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Elissimpark posted:

Fine. Robespierre did nothing wrong.

He was a gigantic liberal which is pretty wrong.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Justified state executions aren’t murder. The king had it coming for example.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

The BC/AD system was proposed in 525 AD and spread rapidly, so there are likely going to be lots of documents from around that time dated that way.

ETA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anno_Domini

There you go. 532 AD

Jesus a “tyrant”?? Wikipedia getting opinionated

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Can’t read the Indus script either yet. That’s a big one .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Please stop saying mahine learning and other buzzwords .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I understand RAs have to use those words to get grants / published

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t know how true the proposition “rome was against human sacrifice” Is. It was part of their propaganda sure

But like as we can see even today, politicians sometimes are bit being sincere when they criticize some other country

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Meh I’m not too impressed with historians.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why don’t we consider crucifixion to be a form of human sacrifice.

Because the victim is not ostensibly given to a god ?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yea but that seems like an arbitrary distinction to justify or criticize state execution .

Also gods may have been invoked by the magistrate during the crucifixion process anyway

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kylaer posted:

. They explictly viewed this as a different act than execution for crimes.

That is my point. I know some Romans did but is that meaningful and is it enough evidence to support the broader conclusion “Romans were against human sacrifice”

To make my position clear: I don’t think Roman’s general stance on human sacrifice is knowable . To the extent it is, it seems contradictory. In addition criticism of say Carthage for engaging in the act do not seem credible due to their political motivation. The claims about Carthage seem to come from a very very small and specific group of people anyway (Senator class)

euphronius fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 9, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Even today we see people in the political class make baseless and hypocritical distinctions and criticisms of other countries actions. Looks at American ruling class criticisms of China for example. I don’t think it would be proper to base your understanding of Americans or China based on what American politicians say about China but we seem to (not all the time) base a lot or out understanding of Rome and Carthage (for example ) based on what roman politicians say

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think there is any strong physical evidence of Carthage human sacrifice.

They found the bodies of children but I don’t know what that shows.

I have not looked into it for awhile maybe there is new finds

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m not clicking on a British tabloid link but if it is what I suspect, that is a erroneously confident conclusion from definitively ambiguous evidence

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nuremberg is an excellent example. If your conclusion from Nuremberg is that the west has a taboo against war crimes and genocide, you would be 100% wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ulmont posted:

I appreciate your commitment towards not learning anything. https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...391B766C95ECBE1

I don’t agree with the conclusions .