Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nenonen posted:

But whyyyyyyy? :qq: Romans were absolute dicks. Like, barring Spartans, the most savage anti-intellectual fascists that have walked on earth. Why would anyone want to see them murder and enslave even more peoples than they historically did?

If you could travel through time the least you could do is something constructive. Like in the Technicolor® Time Machine...

Romans were no more dickish then any other people of the era. Less then most, really. Hell, Roman society was pretty inclusive to comparison to any other society of their times.

Plus who's to say that you couldn't reform them in other ways as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

canuckanese posted:

I thought about one like this too. It reminds me of an old Twilight Zone episode where this guy knows everything there is to know about the Napoleonic Wars, how they fought, order of battle, tactics, how to use weapons, etc. Magically he's transported back into the 1800s and he gets to live his dream of being in a Napoleonic army and...he gets shot in the first battle and has to have his leg amputated. For some reason that episode stuck with me and now when I imagine being sent back in time and joining an army I think "well poo poo I'd probably end up getting killed before I became anybody significant"

That would be the main problem, sure. Or dying of some age-old disease which doesn't exist today and there isn't a vaccination to it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
This is a really silly question but...what happened to all the Romans in conquered Byzantine lands? Moved away? Killed? Converted to Islam and were eventually absorbed into other cultures?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

archduke.iago posted:

Are any emperors remembered for being sneaky assholes? Constantius II comes to mind, but are there any more obvious ones?

Augustus, obviously. Brilliant as gently caress but the man was a snake.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Agesilaus posted:

Don't get too far ahead of yourself, though. Humanity is still yet to recover in may ways; we have regressed politically, philosophically, culturally, and socially from Classical Greece.

No, no we really haven't.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Amused to Death posted:

Well, at least the rich back then had some kind of societal pressure to actually do a few things for people in general, fund the maintenance of some aqueducts, sponsor a day of games

They still do that and contribute a fraction of their income in exchange to much better outcomes to themselves, just like they did in classical times.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Agesilaus posted:

Sure, we have regressed in many ways politically, culturally, and socially.

I have stared at the living eye of idiocy and survived. Thank you for that experience.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

I think you guys and ladies are underestimating the degree to which Romans were (what we today call) racist. I can recall many instances where generals or other Romans and non Romans were blocked from higher political office because they weren't Latin or whatever. These racist attitudes were probably concentrated in the old Senate, which was cleansed after Caesar, but the attitudes lived on.

Rome lasted from 753 BC to 1453. There used to be a time that if you weren't born in the city of Rome or weren't descended from someone who wasn't, you were nothing but filth. And there used to be a time when every free man in Roman Empire was granted citizenship. Sometimes Rome was pretty loving racist, sometimes it was surprisingly advanced for the time it existed in.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dr Scoofles posted:

I've also been reading a selection of letters by Cicero and it's extremely funny how they are chock full of back handed compliments and demands for more praise. I remember Robert Harris presenting the guy as a cheeky chappie but really he sounds more like a total big head to me.

He was. Literally and figuratively.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I thought it was more that Urine had a lot of Industrial uses and he tried to institute a tax on the sale of it to Tanners and Launderers?

It also spawned the excellent conversation where Titus complained to Vespesian about the tax and Vespasian held money to his nose and asked him:

"Sciscitans num odore offenderetur?" Does it smell?
"Non est." No
"Pecunia non olet." And yet it comes from Urine.

Vespasian was great.

"Oh! I think I'm becoming a god!"

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, there were like zillion Antiochs.

Also zillion Alexandrias.

Both were founded by Macedonians!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SavageGentleman posted:

I remember that the Tokugawa shogunate established a very complex system to deal with its (potentially rebellious) vasalls: Among other measures that only worked with feudal lords (Sankin-kōtai, force them to routineley move their residence between their demesne and the capital, keep 'em poor with the cost of two palaces and huge processions) the Shogunate also forced the lords to keep their families in the capital (under surveillance of the government) when they were at their home provinces - effectively taking them hostage to keep the lords from rebelling.
Would something like this have worked to keep the generals under control?

"Ok, good luck fighting those barbarians Maximus. Don't worry about your family, they are treated like senators - as long as you keep doing your job and don't decide to cross the Rubicon or crown yourself emperor - it would be a shame to take all the effort to abolish the republic, without any heirs to inherit your title, eh?" :agesilaus:

With the Roman focus on family values, this could have been working beautifully - or get you killed ten times over, I guess.

Nope. Not only you have all those Emperors and generals who became emperors who didn't give a flying gently caress about their family or actively hated them - you also got generals who didn't have any or rose from such obscurity that nobody knows where their family even is. Rome was not Japan. It was not a feudal system - and even if it was, it is a lot easier to keep tabs on your nobles in Japan then an Empire spanning nearly twenty times it's size.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Grand Fromage posted:

The fundamental change was where he recruited. Since there were no landholding men available, Marius turned to the vast new population of urban poor.

Just to specify if this isn't clear to everyone who doesn't know how bigoted Romans were at this period, these were still citizens, he didn't just grab any poor guy off the streets and toss him a sword and shield. This still caused a huge uproar in the Senate even when there was a war going on that needed to be won and they didn't have any loving soldiers to fight it. Marius didn't pull the reforms off easily. Most of the senators were like at double Mitt Romney level at this point when you are talking about their disdain for the poors.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Was being a condescending prick part of your education, or were you just gifted that way.

Well, most Classicists I've met don't fantasize about owning slaves so...

:agesilaus:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Christoff posted:

I swore I remember reading that at it's height Egypt was lush and green.

It never stopped being that.

The useless desert was still useless desert 2000 years ago, but the Nile stands eternal.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Christoff posted:

Can you guys sum up the Greek/Roman relationship? It confuses me a bit. I just assumed they were always rivals. Then different language and alphabet. Why didn't they just make them speak Latin? I assume the wealthy folks of Rome spoke Greek.I know Rome kind of came about after they had their glory days. And that they stole a ton of, well, everything from them.

Did Rome just let them do their own thing towards the end?

Towards the end the Greeks were Rome. Byzantium and all that. :eng101:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Grand Fromage posted:

Every history has some ulterior motive. Suetonius grew up during the Vespasian/Titus reign and had a lot of poo poo for Nero, so that influenced things. Hadrian fired him for loving his wife but that was right at the end of his life, about the same time he published the Twelve Caesars so I don't think it had much of an influence.

Hell, I think the fact that Hadrian didn't execute him on the spot would have had positive influence. Even if he hated his wife (and vice versa).

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Grand Fromage posted:

Well, it helped that Hadrian and his wife hated each other.

Come on now, I think hate is a bit str...

quote:

Sabina was said to have remarked that she had taken steps to see she never had children by Hadrian because they would "harm the human race".

Nevermind!

Jazerus posted:

Romans did the same thing; while he was governor of Spain, Caesar, in particular, famously lamented his relative lack of accomplishment compared to Alexander at roughly the same age.

That being said, it's not a very fair comparison for either yourself or Caesar to make. Alexander was born to power and his father died just as Alexander reached maturity after setting his son up with a very strong kingdom and obvious routes to pursue for more conquest. Comparing him to a Roman, who couldn't even (legally) hold the office of consul until after the age that Alexander died at, is selling the Roman short because there were much greater hurdles to overcome to even have the opportunity for power - the same is basically true in democracies today. Democracy tends to select against youthful greatness through age minimums on offices and that kind of thing; one of the only advantages of monarchy is that it allows for greater, younger leaders, but then again it also allows for Charles II of Spain.

People really underestimate Philip's role in Alexander's rise. Alexander was basically given an army, finances to support it and a stable kingdom (as well as subdued Greek states) to leave behind combined with a near perfectly planned invasion route. All that was needed was an skilled tactician. And Alexander, of course, was possibly the greatest tactician in existence, which didn't hurt.

Anyway, I consider Augustus' achievements to equal Alexander's, of course not in the military sense but in the sense that they were both at the top of the world at a very young age. And Octavian had nothing but his brains, name and Agrippa behind him when he started.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 26, 2012

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Grand Fromage posted:

Like 30? loving everywhere. The only still inhabited ones I know of offhand are Alexandria in Egypt obviously, and Kandahar in Afghanistan. I think there are a couple others but I don't remember what their names turned into.

Ghazni, Afghanistan
Merv, Turkmenistan
Iskandariya, Iraq
Butte, Montana

One of those cities may have not in fact been founded by Alexander the Great, I don't remember which one though.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I was just listening to the History of Rome today at work, and it got to the part where Octavian has Alexanders body brought out to him. Augustus is probably one of the only people in history who could reflect on ALexander's life, and feel he stacked up there with him.

"About this time [30 BC] Octavian had the sarcophagus and body of Alexander the Great brought forth from its inner sanctum, and, after gazing on it, showed his respect by placing upon it a golden crown and strewing it with flowers; and being then asked whether he wished to see the tomb of the Ptolemies as well, he replied, 'My wish was to see a king, not corpses.'"

Badass.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Sep 27, 2012

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So did Western European nations recognize Eastern Roman Empire as a direct continuation of Rome? Did they still look admiringly at Roman achievements and success and want to emulate them? Or did the whole mess of migrations really just confuse the poo poo out of everyone and people didn't start going all "Yay Rome!" until the Renaissance hit?

I just find it funny to think that people were all "Man, Rome was awesome, huh? I wish more countries were like Rome." and Constantinople is going all "HEY WE ARE STILL HERE!"

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mach5 posted:

Thank you nonetheless! I figured there was no agreed-upon date and the two sides just kind of drifted apart: like on the West you had Catholicism ascendant but dealing with plagues and whatnot, while in the East you had the Greek Orthodox guys and that pesky Genghis Khan fellow to deal with. I'll hazard a guess that the Mongols kind of inadvertently helped the Eastern Empire remain cohesive a bit longer due to their crazy-rear end tactics, and how it made sense to remain united against those devilish hordes.

Then again I could be wrong and probably am, and that's why I love this thread. So thanks in advance!

Hmm? Mongols came at late 1200's at which point Byzantines did not have any territory near them to conquer and were subjected to the latin partition as well. Their enemies were always the Persians and Arabs, Genghis never factored in.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Suetonius was basically the People Magazine of Rome, wasn't he?

Somewhere between that and the Daily Mail.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Hedera Helix posted:

How did their chain across the Golden Horn work, exactly? What kind of mechanism was in place for raising it or lowering it, and how effective was it in keeping enemy ships from landing?

Effective until the end. Mehmet II had to construct a massive road of greased logs across overland to roll his ships to the Golden Horn to circumvent it. Constantinople really was probably the hardest city to siege and conquer in all of history.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Not that history channel doesn't suck, but Caligula was a pretty bad emperor, right? I mean, Tiberius left Rome with a huge surplus and he pissed it all away.

Julio-Claudians have a bad rap though, two good and one phenomenal out of five isn't half bad! Better then most dynasties.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tewdrig posted:

I assume you are including Tiberius as a good emperor? I thought he was generally seen as bad, though not as bad as Caligula and Nero. Sejanus was awful, and Tiberius left Rome to relax at his villa and ignore governing the empire.

He left a huge amount of money behind, strengthened the administration, and consolidated the territories. The Empire learned to govern itself pretty well and was generally strengthened. And he killed Sejanus. He was a moody rear end in a top hat who didn't want to be the Emperor in the first place, a possible sexual deviant and a dick to his family in particular, but he was a pretty good Emperor in my books. And a kickass general.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

achillesforever6 posted:

Didn't even Caligula start off "good" but then turned completely batshit insane after a couple of years into his rule?

Good in the sense that he wasn't a complete goon when dealing with people, unlike Tiberius. Also, he had a very popular dad, so people were expecting him to be another Germanicus. And he pulled off some crazy parties and everyone was invited. But he was never a good administrator. And he was always a spoiled brat - that's what you get when you have the Roman Legions adopt you as their official mascot at age five or so and obey your commands and cheer for you.

quote:

To what extent besides he won their love and devotion by being reared in fellowship with them is especially evident from the fact that when they threatened mutiny after the death of Augustus and were ready for any act of madness, the mere sight of Gaius unquestionably calmed them. For they did not become quiet until they saw that he was being spirited away because of the danger from their outbreak and taken for protection to the nearest town. Then at last they became contrite, and laying hold of the carriage and stopping it, begged to be spared the disgrace which was being put upon them.

After that, how can you not grow up to think that you are the awesomest person who ever lived?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kopijeger posted:

Perhaps, but "Constantinopolis" is an obviously Greek name as well, and one that it would make more sense to use in the context you describe.

"Constantinopolis" is Latin. And Constantine was Roman. Kōnstantinoupolis/Konstantinoúpoli is Greek, but it's just a Greek transliteration of the Latin name.

The ironic thing is that "Byzantium" comes originally from Thracian or Illyrian.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 10, 2012

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Were there lot of different roman breads and other baking stuff? I'd imagine eating would get pretty boring if they didn't vary it up, and with free grain (in the city of Rome, at the least) they would have had an incentive to switch stuff around?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Modern greek is fuckin' delicious, so how much did it have to do with Eastern Roman cooking?

Modern Greek is pretty much modern Turkish. :haw: And modern Turkish is a mix of so many things from Ottoman Empire that it's nuts to even think about it.

Which brings me to the cuisine or Roman Empire - look at all the areas it incorporated, the rich people must have eaten like Gods with all the mixes and matches it brought in. I heard that rich Romans used to puke between every course just so they could stuff themselves some more, is this true?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
But my orgies!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

Behold! the decadent vomitorium in all its hedonistic and prurient glory!

:barf: NSWF much?!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
They really do look more impressive without colors, at least in my opinion.

Left: World spanning empire, those who came before us, sophistication thousands of years past, civilization

Right: Some tacky porcelain statue my grandma bought at a yard sale

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

I think you are bringing your own 2012 assumptions and ideas into the "Left" observation. Is that what someone in 25 CE think?

No, that's what I think. I'm sure people in 25 CE thought that colors were the poo poo, but all that marble is just so much more...dignified.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Carthage. :allears: Man, I wonder what the world would be like today if they had won. We'd speak some wierd-rear end languages, that's for sure.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

JaggyJagJag posted:

If I had a time machine, I'd go be Hannibal's prophet just to see what a world like this would look like. I imagine the American continent would have been discovered at least 500 years earlier.

Them Carthaginians sure liked to sail.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Prons posted:

Are there any surviving records of any Roman horror stories/urban legends? Was there a roman big foot?

Well, I'm pretty sure more then one Roman mother told their kids to eat their beets and go sleep early or Hannibal would come and go all Cannae on them, does that count?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman%96Persian_Wars

Jeez, I never realized exactly how much Persians/Parthians/Sassanids and Romans fought against eachother. 719 freaking years. Makes some other historical rivalries look like nothing. And in the end it hosed over them both.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

bobthedinosaur posted:

Did Romans wear togas?

All the time! In fact if you were a magistrate in Republican Rome you weren't supposed to wear anything else. Only citizens could wear it though, foreigners weren't allowed to. The toga is like the most Roman article of clothing ever.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The Late Republican period is probably unrivaled in history in the amazing people it contained and who lived in the same time and knew each other closely or featured prominently otherwise. And with almost all these people wanting power or some other ultimate desire it's no wonder that it all ended so spectacularly as it did. You got all these amazing personalities and geniuses (whether in politics, oratory, intrigue or military) that if they had been all by themselves in any other period of history with the same relative skillset, each of them could have risen to crazy heights. And they are still world famous despite having to compete with each other.

Marius
Sulla
Pompey
Julius Caesar
Sertorius
Crassus
Cassius
Brutus
Marc Antony
Cleopatra
Cato
Cicero
Sextus Pompey
Augustus
Livia
Agrippa
Spartacus
Catiline
Clodius

Am I missing anyone?

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

Sulla didn't fail.

Yeah, he's like the one of the few persons in Roman history who achieved everything he exactly wanted. "Yup, it's all good. Restored the republic. Time to retire and spend my days loving hot dudes."

*And he lived happily ever after*