Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

bobthedinosaur posted:

Eons ago in this thread we discussed the graffiti found at Pompeii. What other sites of notable Roman graffiti have we found?

Herculaneum :v:

quote:

More of a Latin question, but what're the best Roman insults?

There was that book of jokes posted a month or so ago that had some pretty good burns against other cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Hey guys tell me about the vague ideas the Romans and Chinese had about each other. We talked about this once but it was a long time ago. I think there were things like the Chinese thinking Rome was some kind of democracy or republic ruled by enlightened philosophers while Rome pictured China as some country in the clouds where silk just hung from trees like leaves. Or maybe it's none of that, hence why I'm asking.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

:allears: How does anyone read things like that and not love history. People are amazing with what they can imagine.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Octy posted:

Honestly, I'm surprised the empire didn't break up during the Third Century Crisis.

It did for a while

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Koramei posted:

4th of September 476 AD.

Never forget :911:
(every August 24th I actually post "8/24/410, never forget!" as satire and people seem to enjoy it)

I suppose the rise of Christianity may have something to do with the fading of the toga since it'd also be associated with Pagan priests. Maybe even the republic going into the empire. The toga was a formal thing and if you no longer have to do electioneering in the public you might want to forgo it. A tunic seems much more comfortable.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

When thinking about the spaces between China and the eastern Roman empire, you also have to think of geography and it's the same deal in western China. Not only are the distances vast, but it's vast distances over poo poo geography.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

The Entire Universe posted:

And then you get stuff like Göbekli Tepe, which threaten to redefine even that sense of scale.

I never heard of this, so I went to Wikipedia, and

quote:

History
Founded 10th millennium BCE
Abandoned 8th millennium BCE

:stare:

There's some really old stuff out there. I mean there's even older simple tools and what not, but you can go see a serious human structure that is possibly 12,000 years old.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

and then something happens and it all goes to poo poo.

Oh we all know what happened.

Sea peoples

I mean it's not just them, but I wanted to say it because it's honestly one of my favorite terms in history. I mean c'mon, "Sea People", it sounds like something out of a sci-fi book, and considering how much everything went to poo poo and the amount of cities around the Mediterranean they supposedly managed to destroy it may as well be.

Also some of those apocalyptic "Please send help!" messages from the time. Big Cheese posted two of them a long while ago.

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 16, 2014

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Yeah I know, but it's just fun to focus on the Sea Peoples specifically because of the fact we only have fragmented knowledge of them that makes them seem like this omnipotent enemy appearing from the water laying waste to the entire coastline of Greece and the near-east. C'mon people, let your imagination roam and have some fun with history.

e: I for one look forward to 4,000 years from now where after 6 more world wars the only surviving documents of this decade are from Glenn Beck and future historians ponder on what went wrong in American society to make them ever elected a communist-nazi dictator hell-bent on building FEMA death camps and implementing death panels and Sharia law. That's definitely gonna wind up creating some interesting theories.

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 16, 2014

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Engineering in general. Even the most fanatical Greece ruled Rome sucked dudes won't argue about Rome's engineering prowess.

Hey you never know what people might try to argue, there was that one poster in here way back when that was basically trying to say ancient Rome and Greece were superior civilizations to us.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I like to think that Christianity succeeded partly because it was full of contradictary and conflicting interpretations.

I think that may be part of it, but at the same time I think Christianity gives a more concrete offering for the future(i.e. what happens after death). Accept the message of Jesus/God, try to be good, and confess your sins when you're not good(which I have to imagine is a big thing in a world full of murder and thievery) and you're good to go to paradise for eternity.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Quick Rome question, could Tribunes veto the actions of Consuls(or magistrates in general for that matter)? I believe no, but I'm not certain.

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 8, 2014

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Suetonius :allears:

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

So in tribute to Italy's imploding economy, the stables excavated next the Circus Maximus will be now be reburied until someone comes up with some :20bux: to actually preserve them

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/11039874/Emperor-Augustus-stables-in-Rome-to-be-reburied-due-to-lack-of-funding.html

Also Augustus's Mausoleum will be torn down to create a new apartment block.

One of those things may not be true.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Cato is probably one of the most insufferable people in western history on a personal level and was one of the original :agesilaus:

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

"gently caress Cato in his stupid face that loving gently caress."

GF, make this the thread title please

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

vintagepurple posted:

Is it fair to say that a modern-day Cato would be a guy called Thomas Jefferson Jr, who went around in full 18th-century planter regalia and insisted that all political development since 1810 was bunk?

Yes.

And/or be Justice Scalia

Also, I remember in Tom Holland's book there's a line about Cato I really like in a letter Cicero wrote to his friend Atticus "As for our dear friend Cato, he speaks to the Senate as if he were living in Plato's Republic instead of Romulus's shithole"(I imagine the last word is very loosely translated for mass audience)

Ainsley McTree posted:

I dunno, I'm a fan of "I mean sure some of them had crazy gay orgies but everyone does in history"

Good point, tough call. Perhaps the answer is loving Cato's face at a gay orgy?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

The pic cloud is also missing "gently caress his stupid loving face" after Cato

Grand Fromage posted:

Victorians were responsible for most of that crap. The weird gay stuff, the origies, the vomitorium, all that extreme moral degradation nonsense. The Romans were pretty prudish.

Is there anything the Victorians did not ruin? Y/N

Serious question though, does anyone have a link to that book of translated Roman jokes that came up some time back?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Fo3 posted:

I don't get it either. Cabbages are awesome.

Romans most certainly agree.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

quote:

We'll never know, of course. McGovern says the Romans preferred white wine, but according to inscriptions found on ancient bottles and casks, most wine from the Holy Land was, indeed, red.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/20...tm_content=2051

Is this true? Being a lush I consider this a staggeringly important part of history.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

Just checking in, Dalael told me about this thread. I'm going to start reading from the beginning, see you in a couple of weeks.

There's no quiz right?

The quiz will consist of one question

"Please describe what happens to the man who buggers the fire"

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Cabbages are a big fuckig deal, just ask Diocletian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Isn't it already established that Cato the Younger would be a guy who runs for office dressed like Ben Franklin?

He'd probably be Elmer Woodard.

X

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Ehhhh Cato also walked the walk. He was not a hypocrite, and he was often "right".

Modern day Cato dresses in late 1700's clothing, wears a tricorn hat, has a wife he never cheats on, goes to church every sunday and is perhaps a minister, never is implicated in any scandal, no matter how trivial, and is descended from a founding father. He is re-elected every year because he is fantastic at being a senator that fights for his constituency, gets elected to the Supreme Court and promotes a moralistic reading of the constitution that pisses off the current right and left because he calls out all of them for being hypocrites. He refuses to say "under God" in the pledge, and denies America is a Christian nation. He also is insanely misogynistic though may not be racist since slavery during the Constitutional Convention was a really heated issue and he may side with the guys that essentially kowtowed to the southern states.

He is also completely insufferable due to looking down on drat near everyone.