Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

"Hey Coemgenus in can you pay me in silver this month instead of with grain? I'm doing my yearly visit to the in-laws in Trier and need a new sword and some of those fancy spices we use for the holiday feasts"

Wondering where the name Kevin came from and they gave the Latin version of the Irish name...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

skasion posted:

Butter is a Germanic fad. Will all blow over any century now

Eating butter, wearing trousers, wiping the beer foam off my mustaches.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Nessus posted:

I have a friend who wants a custom tombstone that will be optimally positioned for goths to gently caress on. He is a wise man

Would it have a pressure sensor that sets off a Bauhaus album?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Just going to start pronouncing all Latin c's with the Malaysian c sound.

Julius Cheaser
Chichero
Marchus Porchius Chato

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

A_Bluenoser posted:

I would push back against that characterisation on the basis of precision if nothing else. The term "fundamentalism" does not appear as a defined thing until the 1920s and it is largely a North American movement (at least to start with). If I recall properly the term actually originates with a series of pamphlets published in the 19teens called "The Fundamentals: a Testimony of Truth". We should be very cautious about backporting terms that develop in a specific context to earlier contexts or to different cultures because it can obscure what was actually going on and what people actually thought they were doing. It is the same problem as when people describe Medival peasant groups as "Marxist": that philosophy just does not exist in that context and trying to apply it ignores the very real (and often very well thought-out and sophisticated) concerns that the real historical people had and to be honest really devalues them.

The Puritans in the 17th century certainly believed that Biblical scripture as they received it was the sole basis for correct religion and was completely "true" in some sense but they did not necessarily mean the same thing when they said that as someone would when they said it in the early 20th century. I don't think it is clear that there is any line to be drawn between Puritan iconoclasm and young earth creationism: they don't necessarily have anything to do with each other.

This is getting rather beyond the topic of ancient history but I think it is important to remember that our current concepts don't necessarily map to what historical people were doing or thinking: just because thing X in history looks like modern thing Y to us on first glance does not necessarily mean they are actually similar or that the comparison is valid.

Thanks for listening to my TED talk

My child, this is a confessional.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Kylaer posted:

I acknowledge the existence of the term Early Modern and I absolutely hate it and think they should find any other name for that period. Early Modern is so devoid of meaning.

Coming from an arts background, I found the term a bit confusing too. Modern is very much late 1800's to mid 1900's. 1600s being Early Modern in that context is eyebrow raising.

I propose we bring historical periods in line with artistic style terms and periods. Which means we can get on with more important things, like arguing whether the 30 years war is late Mannerist or Baroque.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

*taking notes*
Ro...co...co

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

we have not yet left.. THE AGE OF FIRE

Please stop rekindling the flame.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Empires crushed.
Lions slaughtered.
Omens read.

Also: guitar repairs, music lessons.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

zoux posted:

*Eagle flying north shot out of the sky by skilled bowshot, also has my exact face*
*turns to harsupex* Is that bad

If Suetonius has taught me anything, a quick wit can make any omen a good one.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

soviet elsa posted:

Reading a translation of Gallic Wars and giggling at Caesar's cognomen.

Kyle I. Baldy presents: The French Wars.

(two thousand years later in a Russian palace)

court announcer guy: Ladies and gentlemen, Baldy Nicolas the Second!

bystander: ....what?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

condimentum speciale, but it's garum. Cheese would be Romano. Lettuce is Egyptian, apparently. Sesame seeds also used by ancient Egyptians.

gently caress, I'm working nightshift and now craving garum burger.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

MeatRocket8 posted:

Movies never show barbarians with moustaches. Probably because it would look too modern. But moustaches were definitely popular among them.

Are there any sources about the type of mustaches favoured by the barbarians? Were they about size or is there an embarassing (in hind sight) couple of centuries where transalpine Gaul was a sea of toothbrush mustaches?

Halloween Jack posted:

Why shouldn't the Visigoths look like Hawkwind?

Lol

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

MeatRocket8 posted:

Don’t think i’ve read any ancient roman historians give specifics, just passing references.

But here’s some ancient rear end staches:

The Dying Gaul of course

The Ludovisi Battle Sarcophagus

Barbarian chieftain mosaic in the great palace

Coin of Odoacer:

It's starting to feel a bit less Hawkwind and a bit more Let It Be era Beatles.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Lol, but you mixed up Paul and Ringo.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Orbs posted:

It would make sense for boats to have names, especially big, important ones like triremes. Ships take a lot of effort to build and maintain, and that effort is usually toward a specific intentional purpose. That's the kind of endeavor that always seems to make humans want to go "we should name this thing, this great complex endeavor we're doing."

"Stone...uh..henge?"
"Fucks sake, Steve, it's not a henge!"

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Orbs posted:

I wonder what the original name of that monument was, I don't think it was Stonehenge iirc. I bet the original name was way more rad.

No, I think that was an early mediaeval term. And Stonehenge not being a henge proper is a modern thing. Something to do with where the ditches are or something from memory.

Mad Hamish posted:

Actually, while I'm thinking of it, the pyramids in ancient Egypt also had names. The Great Pyramid's proper name is Khufu's Horizon, and the name of Djedefre's pyramid (Khufu's successor) is Djedefre's Starry Sky.

Either '60's British psych bands or strains of hash.

(but that's pretty cool, I didn't actually know that!)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

CrypticFox posted:

I haven't read the book but the basic premise doesn't seem too wild, enslaved scribes/copyists were fairly common in the Roman empire, so its not a big leap to think that New Testament authors would have made use of them. Also, the author seems to be a perfectly legitimate academic with the necessary background to dictate the book to a scribe.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Carillon posted:

Danton got got, so there was something wrong in that chain of events.

Fine. Robespierre did nothing wrong.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

The metric calendar should have caught on

I use the Kelvin calender

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Judgy Fucker posted:

It's still valuable as literature, though. And if nothing else it's really drat exciting to get access to previously-lost ancient texts.

Wake me up when they find Lives.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Safety Biscuits posted:

How old is leather polish, for boots and so on? And what did people use before that, animal fat?

Dubbin, which is a wax/oil combo for waterproofing leather, has been around since mediaeval times. Tallow, I think, would also work. According to Wikipedia, polishing leather is a more modern phenomenon.

If anyone has read John Waterer's Leather and the Warrior please let me know.

e: Huh. Dubbin contains neatsfoot oil, made from the lower legs and feet (but not hooves) of cattle.

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 11:53 on May 7, 2024

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I was reading a Bret Devereaux bit about armour last week that was talking about leather armour. It would be boiled to make it rigid, so anything to soften it would defeat the purpose. I'll see if I can find the article.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

<sounds of neighbour screeching and throwing ashes in the night>

*turn to my wife in bed knowingly*

Ghost.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

XavierAlexander posted:

I see you've also dated a mainlander.

Look, I know that the rest of Australia is full of mustachioed, trouser-wearing barbarians, but even they're not that superstitious.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Nessus posted:

For some reason I do not comprehend apparently learning how to swim has, historically, been loving rare throughout the world, including in places like England or Ireland where if your little fishing coracle capsized you might well have a reasonable chance of making it to shore.

Like I can see the reasoning for blue ocean sailors -- it's not like they're going to be able to easily turn back for you, so you might as well get it over with quickly. Even so!

I always wonder if this is the reason there's so many malicious water spirits in folklore. Jenny Greenteeth, Peg Powler, kelpies, bunyips, etc as warnings for loving with bodies of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

In Livy's words:

"A Gaulish man and a Gaulish woman and a Greek man and a Greek woman were buried alive under the Forum Boarium. They were lowered into a stone vault, which had on a previous occasion also been polluted by human victims, a practice most repulsive to Roman feelings. When the gods were believed to be duly propitiated, Marcus Claudius Marcellus sent from Ostia 1500 men who had been enrolled for service with the fleet to garrison Rome."

It's an instance of "moral" and "effective" being different concepts. The Roman religion had a lot of room for this--foreign gods were real, they just weren't our gods and ours are better. Similar to how early parts of the Bible are explicit that there are many gods, you're just only allowed to worship Yahweh. Human sacrifice works, you're just not supposed to do it.

I note they were buried alive in what sounds like an oubliette, so it's almost like they technically didn't sacrifice them per se.

"If we leave a couple people in this hole and the gods come and accept them as a sacrifice, waddya gonna do?"