Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Mad Hamish posted:

I am moderately certain that the concept of the European witch hysteria being used as a tool to eliminate powerful women was disproved a while ago but I don't have any good sources on that to hand. Certainly people have rejected the assumptions of Barstow's Witchcraze by now but I think the most recent books on the subject I have in the house right now are from the late 90s / early aughts.

I think it was a element of the Salem trials in America, and since those dominate cultural perception of witch trials due to American cultural influence it gets treated as a norm instead of literially being a tiny rural community on the very edge of the Christian world at the peak of idelogical insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I've been doing some reading on this and part of the answer is food imports. The Dutch Republic and Northern italy in the 16th/17th are big net grain importers - From the Baltic, England, Southern France, etc. You can sustain a more urbanised population if you essentially outsource your grain farming to elsewhere and pay for it with traded and finished goods.

A interesting exception is England, which over the 1550-1700 period urbanises while remaining a net grain exporter. London triples in population and becomes one of the great cities of Europe while England as a whole continues to export more grain than it imports. How? Historians still aren't sure. But it's one of the first signs something odd is happening in the English economy.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Here's the blog post which first inspired this question. I'd underestimated London's growth during this time - over 150 years it goes from 50,000 people to 500,000. 50,000 to 200,000 happens in the first 50 years, 1550-1600. The size alone isn't exceptional - Paris and Constaniople are as big already in Europe. But the growth is, especially given England is not yet a imperial power in line with the french and ottomans.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 11, 2023

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

You don't even need different languages to have humour incompatibility - just different cultures. A prominent example is the Office TV show - the UK one was seasons of successful humour. When they ported it to the US, the first season flopped because characters and situations that were funny to UK audiences just didn't land for US ones.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Lead pipes (and just consuming mercury) are also not as toxic as modern memes suggest. When you heat them as part of mining and processing them, they are very dangerous to the extent it's well known to ancient societies. But their solid forms are less so, because they are more inert and the damage accumulates over time. Compared to the constant risk of deadly disease you face anytime before the mid 19th century, it's frankly not a big deal at all.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

1214 is the real date Rome fell.

Continuous state up till then, state afterwards is a reformed successor.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Apparently, every bit of text recovered so far (both this text, and the scrolls that were physically unraveled decades ago) were Epicurean philosophy. So we can expect a lot of that, probably.

Presumably, they had some kind of filing system keeping like with like. If we can read all the scrolls, then there probably more topics to explore.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

Right but regardless of how far away they are from "modernity" they still are impacted by diseases and various trade goods being brought in. They might not have contact with Europeans or whatever, but their neighbors might (or their neighbors might, etc).

Not denying there couldn't be a impact, but if ethnographic interviews in PNG and archaeological evidence in Germany are pointing in the same direction despite both having significant but unrelated questions in their methodology, that's a positive in the "hunter-gather life was very violent per-capita" theory evidence box.

Something kills everyone in the end, and Violence being a large % of the causes makes sense, when the others are Disease, Old Age, and Starvation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

This isnt the same project I think, but yea plenty of people are trying to use machine learning vision stuff to read the scrolls. See the Scroll Prize website.

Generally, the problem is that carbonized scrolls are a 3D medium of difference sheets of varying thickness rolled up together. So you've got to be able to detect both the 3D blobs of ink on a piece of papyrus, but also be able to seperate out the different sheets from your 3D scroll into 3D sheets. And you're dealing with huge data volumes even for a single scroll, because of how high resolution the scanning data needs to be to detect the ink in the carbonized scroll