Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Could Atlantis be real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Was King Herod truly evil, or was he ruling in the fashion that was typical for his time and region? Killing people, even your own family who might assassinate you to succeed you was pretty drat common back then right?

He built some amazing structures. He's referred to Herod the great. Jerusalem was a beautiful city during his time. And he was basically a puppet for the romans anyways right?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I can't help but wonder what would happen if Alexander The Great was born in a trailer park 30 years ago. If he got his first job at McDonalds and ended up being the CEO in 5 years. It's a prime scenario for debating Nature vs Nurture.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I’m cross posting this from another forum, because I didn’t much of a reply. But goons can be knowing stuff.

Was it just propaganda or myth, or did Julius Caesar actually engage in hand to hand combat while on Campaign? After he became emperor? Because it seems like the risk would far outweigh the benefit. I’m sure he was a strong and skilled soldier because of his vast experience, but all it would have taken was a lucky arrow shot or sword strike, and the leader of the biggest superpower would have been erased. His intelligence, charisma, and strategic/management skill would have been far more valuable than his combat skill.

But on the other hand, him engaging in combat would have been a big morale boost for his army, significantly increasing their chances of victory. And i’m sure he would have relished in the glory.

This question can also apply to others like Ghenkis Khan, Napoleon, and Hannibal, and any “warrior king” at their peak of political power. Common sense would be for them to stay in the back, or be insulated by a core of elite soldiers, once they became heads of state.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Every youtube video of Alexander The Great is filled with comments of people arguing over wether he was Greek or not. Seems to be people from proper day Greece and slavic people from eastern europe.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I wonder how many rulers that started out good but later became evil, just had neurosyphilis. Big harem of bitches and no condoms.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I wish someone would make a documentary about Elagabalus. I know his rein was short and he didnt accomplish much as far as politics or military, but he was so hosed up and weird that it would still be entertaining.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

This is a bit OT, but Assassins Creed Origins has a drat good virtual tour mode of ptolemaic Egypt. Its one of the most detailed and best looking game worlds to date, so its a lot more immersive than watching a documentary or miniseries. It's curated by historians and egyptologists, and supplemented with audio narration and photos from museums and books. There's tours from the main things like the Alexandria library and lighthouse, and the giza pyramids, to more obscure stuff like pottery, fauna, and urban development. Of course a lot of the information on the major stuff is elementary to people who like history, so its more for the sweet visuals. But there's still some new facts and photos i've never seen before. It's all taken from the regular game world you play in, and it gives you control wether to walk and look around yourself while the audio plays, or have it do the cinematics .

Visiting Alexanders tomb as Juilius Caesar

Checking out bling as Cleopatra

Learning about Spartacus and Crucifixion as a Legionaire

Or play the actual game and pet cats

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Did people in ancient greece walk around nude? Since people are always naked in their art depicting daily life.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I wonder how many of the greek and roman statues were painted. Historians used to believe none of them were. Now it seems like they believe many of them were. Wouldnt be surprised if they start to believe all of them were painted.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

How come there is no specific name for the ancient greek/roman religion?

Also, whats the deal with ancient greek, or roman copies of greek original statues being painted or not?

Seems like historians now believe some were painted and some were not. It seems odd. It seems like they should have all been painted, or almost none painted. I think if they were painted that there should have been dozens found that still had most or half of their paint remaining. Especially ones found in the hellenized eastern countries with dry climate.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I think it was clever that before the Marius reforms, a person had to be a land owner in order to get into the military. Helped prevent them from switching sides, and it meant they had something to fight hard for. Of course that had to change eventually.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I was surprised recently by how cheaply you can acquire ancient coins. You can buy a coin struck right after the death of Constantine and bearing his visage for $30.

It's a great hobby. The coins are undervalued. The small copper imperial roman coins are so inexpensive that they aren't worth the time and effort to forge, so you can feel comfortable that they're the real deal.

Romans would bury their hoard of coins, go off to war and get killed, and the coins stayed in the ground, and when metal detectors came around, many hoards were discovered, and the supply outweighs the demand. That will change eventually.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Ancient jewelery is more sketchy. Probably a lot more fakes. A lot of the stuff is one of a kind. With coins you can weigh them, measure them, analyze the strike, the mint marks, the edges, because these things are standardized. But with the jewelry, you're pretty much relying on the seller. One thing to look for are "negs". Things a faker wouldn't do. I have a barbarian crucifix pendant. It's so hosed up and lovely looking that I can't imagine it being a fake, as it's not desirable.

I found them at coin conventions. 90% of the vendors only sell modern currency. Out of the 10% that sell ancient coins, three or so also have ancient trinkets and jewlery. Other than that its ebay, and online dealers.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Is it safe to assume that during the imperial period of ancient rome, most of the slaves were caucasian, and many of them blonde haired blue eyed? Considering all the battles the romans had with the northern european tribes, and how slaves were one of the major spoils of war, it would make sense. I just don’t know how people would react if they showed white slaves in TV and film. People who arent familiar with history would probably misunderstand it and think it was a PC thing. Similar to how TV commercials for home security systems only have white burglars.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Anyone who already hasn't read or listened to it, should check out Caesar's commentaries on the Gallic Wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtO1uKKwK8Y

It sounds like a current news report you'd hear on AM radio, yet its thousands of years old. Even though it's propaganda, and it's all about how drat noble Caesar is, it still takes you deep into what the poo poo was like.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

If one were to take up a pet theory, would it be more feasible that the ancient damage to Stonehenge was from Caesar, and his desire to get the druids out of his way? Or Gaius Palinus doing it in revenge for Queen Boudicca’s revolt?

It had to take a serious amount of people and effort to remove those stones, so the incentive for doing it had to be quite high. Not a simple case of a few dicks that like vandalizing stuff.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I know this is not ancient, nor Roman history, but I couldn’t find a more appropriate thread for it.

Someone needs to make an English documentary or film about the attempted Mongol invasions of Japan.

It’s such a compelling and interesting event(s). Largest naval invasion in history all the way up until d-day. The bad rear end Mongols tasting defeat when fighting the samurai clans up close. All the ships that sank. The incredible luck Japan had. It needs a Netflix series.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Is Dan Carlin respected among historians? I’d imagine there would be some elitism or jealousy that he’s a popular well known figure in the historical community, yet he didn’t spend that time and money earning a history degree. He didn’t pay his dues.

But he made an interesting point in his podcast about Caesars gallic wars. He’s more free to speculate and indulge theories because he doesn’t have to protect his credibility like a history professor would.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Dalael posted:

For those of us not familiar with the podcast, would you elaborate on the point you mentioned?

My bad, I phrased that wrong. I meant the point was he could speculate more. But I don’t recall exactly what his theory was, because I was cycling and running errands while listening so I was distracted a lot, and its like a 4 hour podcast. It’s episode 60 on the itunes podcast app. It may have been about the debate on which groups could be classified as being Celtic. Or it may have been about the barbarians battle strategies.

I think he’s more prone to being hyperbolic, but I love his narration, and his voice and the way he speaks when he’s reading quotes.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

The discovery tour is the poo poo. You can visit Alexanders tomb as Caesar. And they give a lot of interesting offbeat facts to make it interesting.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Movies and TV documentaries need to show ancient rome with blonde haired, blue eyed slaves, because that's what they had.

The main booty from war was slaves, And the Romans defeated northern european tribes the most during the imperial period that movies and TV focus on.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Finished listening to an audiobook on youtube of Caesars Commentaries on the Gallic Wars.

It's pretty amazing, to have such a detailed piece of work from that time. It reads like a current story from a war correspondent, but its stuff that happened before Jesus.

Caesar transports you back in time and puts you right there. It's interesting to hear all the quirky cultural practices among the different tribes.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Mayonnaise is named after a city called Mahon, thats named after Hannibals brother, Mago Barca.

Next time you’re eating that BLT, think of all the Romans that dude killed.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Who do you guys think is the most under represented figure in ancient Rome?

Someone with a lot of significance, or a compelling story, but there’s no quality documentary or film about them?

Gaius Marius, Stilicho, Egalabalus for example.

Someone who needs that exposure like Hypatia got with the film Agora.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

When looking on wikipedia, trying to find out the reasons why there was a plot to assassinate Alexander The Great, I came across this quote by the philosopher Strato:

"The youthful bloom of the twelve-year-old gives me joy, but much more desirable is the boy of thirteen. He whose years are fourteen is a still sweeter flower of the Loves, and even more charming is he who is beginning his fifteenth year. The sixteenth year is that of the gods, and to desire the seventeenth does not fall to my lot, but only to Zeus. But if one longs for one still older, he no longer plays, but already demands the Homeric ‘but to him replied.’"

Those greeks invented democracy, and built the foundations of modern society, but they was kiddie fiddlers.

I like all the weird and hosed up stuff in ancient history. I could probably read a whole book about eunuchs.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Prime roman smack talk on the Gauls:

"The German has neither cuirass nor helmet; even his shield is not strengthened with leather or steel, but is of osiers woven together or of thin and painted board. If their first line is armed with spears, the rest have only weapons hardened by fire or very short. Again, though their frames are terrible to the eye and formidable in a brief onset, they have no capacity of enduring wounds; without any shame at the disgrace, without any regard to their leaders, they quit the field and flee; they quail under disaster, just as in success they forget alike divine and human laws."

-Tacitus, Annals of Imperial Rome

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Germans and the Gauls are not the same. The Gauls were a Celtic people, and definitely not as primitive as Tacitus is making the Germans out to be. Its reasonably likely that the Romans get mail armor, the gladius, the scutum, basically all the "standard" legionary kit, by copying what the Gauls did.

There were no standards though with the tribes, right? I'm sure some tribes had good gear, some had mickey mouse gear, and some fought butt rear end naked.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

When the Helvetii tribe decided to invade and settle into new territory, they torched all their stuff. Burned down 400 villages and 12 towns.

Then Caesar stopped them, and they had to return back and rebuild. How lovely must that have been.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Movies never show barbarians with moustaches. Probably because it would look too modern. But moustaches were definitely popular among them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Elissimpark posted:

Are there any sources about the type of mustaches favoured by the barbarians? Were they about size or is there an embarassing (in hind sight) couple of centuries where transalpine Gaul was a sea of toothbrush mustaches?

Lol

Don’t think i’ve read any ancient roman historians give specifics, just passing references.

But here’s some ancient rear end staches:

The Dying Gaul of course

The Ludovisi Battle Sarcophagus

Barbarian chieftain mosaic in the great palace

Coin of Odoacer: