Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Did Rome ever have an empress? (I know the Byzantines did, but you can't have a Roman empire without Rome :mad:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
How big was the population of Rome/the empire?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
[quote="Grand Fromage" post=""404"]
Basically because there was never any kind of set method of succession.
[/quote]

Wait, what? I must not be as educated as I thought I was about Rome, I thought the position of emperor just passed down from father to son?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
In your opinion, who was the "best" Roman emperor? What about "worst"?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
What was Switzerland/the Alps like in Roman times? Were they really sparsely inhabited?

How much do we know about pre-republic Rome?

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 2, 2012

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Mithra6 posted:

This particular CD concentrates on wind instruments. It's pretty dissonant by today's standards. Sometimes I think it sounds creepy, but I like it.

Reminds me of Majora's Mask: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJLXyBzMci0

:ohdear:

Anyway, what was the most "prestigious" legion, other than the praetorians?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Did the Romans actually die/paint the armor, shields, and clothes of their troops red?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I just discovered that the early Popes and Roman emperors co-existed? How did that work?

I also discovered there was a pope named Pope Hilarius

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Grand Fromage posted:

The Pope having massive power didn't really happen until later, as far as I know. It was actually a fairly short period of time where the Pope was on top of everything--they had a lot of authority for a long time, but not so much real power.

Except, according to Wikipedia, the Popes were heads of the church before Christianity became the religion of the empire. The pope and emperor passing each other in the hallway must have been awkwarddddd

Yeah, I know, that probably wasn't how it worked.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

physeter posted:

The only hitch with that is to most English speakers, upper class Brit speak sounds fairly effete. It's something of a disservice to the Roman upper class, who were pretty far from that.

I think its cool as hell, but we can settle this in the arena later.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

If you could choose any Accents (Speaking English) to portray Roman Nobles, which would you pick?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iSPc8oU7YIY#t=9s

Fromage, didn't you mention that the Romans invented the hamburger?

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 9, 2012

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Christoff posted:

I mean I understand why it's a dead language, kind-of.

Speaking of, do Catholic priests still do Mass in Latin? If so, how close is it to the Roman Latin?

Groda posted:

Except for French, which underwent saponification.

It got turned into soap? Man no wonder France smells so clean

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
What was the most important/influential part of the empire other than Italy? And what was generally the second biggest city in the empire?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

General Panic posted:

They're still arguing about whether Henry VIII's main health problem was syphilis, scurvy or just being a big fat slob and whether Napoleon died of cancer or arsenic poisoning.

I thought it was a hunting wound?

Grand Fromage posted:

It's not true. Salt was part of the rations. Pliny the Elder says it as an off-hand comment in one of his histories (and he claims it as an old defunct practice even when he's writing) and it got blown out of proportion. They were paid in coin.

There is a linguistic connection between salt (salarium) and salary but it's unclear where it comes from.

Wasn't salt extremely valuable in Roman times, and even up until recently?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
How important was religion to Roman life? Actually, Fromage, can you talk about religion in the empire in general?

Also, how much do we know about vulgar Latin?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Now that I think about it, why didn't the Roman's conquer Ireland?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

TildeATH posted:

The Arabian Peninsula was a no-man's land between Persia and Rome, equally affected by both. The Umayyad Caliphate had its capital in Damascus, which was Roman Syria. When the Abbasids overthrew them, the remnants of the Umayyad dynasty relocated to Cordoba, which was in Roman Hispania. Augustine was in Hippo, which is modern-day Libya, and is the founder of Scholastic philosophy. Alexandria, Antioch, Constantinople and Jerusalem were all Apostolic Sees. It's ignorant bordering on propagandistic to think of Islam as being some kind of Eastern import.

Nobody's saying its Eastern, but it originated in an area completely outside Roman control, in the southern Arabian peninsula.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

TildeATH posted:

Gunder Frank makes mention of it in p. 250 (Second page of the article) here:
http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.2307/20078469

The original research is by Abu Laghod, I believe, but it's been a while and I'll see if I can find the seminal paper. It's pretty much accepted by anyone who works in World Systems, which eschews nationalistic histories (and all their "X and civilization was raped by Y" stories) for a more rational view of the evolution of state entities.

Well what if I don't believe in this "world-systems"? :colbert:

Fly Molo posted:

:buddy: : Fine, screw you guys, we'll do our own thing. Oh, whoops, we kinda killed every living thing in Jerusalem. Our bad.

So how's your alternate universe :confused:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

TildeATH posted:

Hey that's cool. This isn't an argument, I'm just presenting all these facts and poo poo, but cool stories are always cool, bro.

I know, I was just kidd- BOSNIA GIVE BACK KLAY TO GLURIOUS SRBIJA

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Whatever she was before she was Athena made her a goddess of war, wisdom, and crafts

I'm fairly sure that her war aspect was different from Ares in that he was sort of the god of the horrible side of war, slaughter and dying and PTSD and what have you, while she was the god of just wars and bravery and what have you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Grand Fromage posted:

Marcus Furius' olive oil is the best, tell him about this ad and get 10% discount.

This is starting to get creepy.