Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I think the dog in the painting looks a lot like the taxidermy, it's just doing the backing-up-while-surprised thing that dogs do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all claim to worship the God of Abraham. I think we should just take them at their word and not try to split hairs about what we think they do or do not actually believe about it.

yeah, i remember having difficulty explaining to a friend why messianic jews aren't considered jews by most, but hasidic jews, who claim to have a messiah that most people don't agree is the messiah, are still. and it comes down to "that's what the majority of the people in the religion say they believe, so that's how the religion is"

likewise, the vast majority of christians, jews, and muslims will likely point to each other and go "same god, different book" and leave it at that

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also Night Boat strikes me as possibly one of those things where it has a name, but rarely spoken of because it's considered dangerous to speak of it. Hades was apparently rarely directly referred to by name.

Interested in the source on that one, since the Iliad namedrops Hades a few times and you'd expect that to be spoken aloud quite a bit. Is it a matter of different names?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

https://twitter.com/etnaboris/status/1776285207823323215

did literate people of the past ever catalogue their omens in detail, i.e. "if the volcano is blowing smoke rings, plant more grain" type stuff?

iirc the sumerians had entire libraries of "if x then y" style tablets for interpreting omens, there's an irving finkel video about it somewhere

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

widespread taboos on human sacrifice significantly predate christianity. it's culturally-bound but not to some singular cause. if anything, christianity is against it more because its two main components (jewish law and roman ideas of morality) both don't like it, than it is against it for any self-justifying reason

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 8, 2024