Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
How did Greek mercenaries like, work in practice? Since hoplites were a citizen militia wouldnt cities be uncool with some of them just sorta leaving to go fight for some other dudes for money? My only assumptions are that some aristocrat would get exiled and just have a bunch of his supporters leave with him and fight for money or like, some sort of diplomatic relationship would exist between the polity hiring mercenaries and the one supplying then where they'd be like, "Okay it's cool if you just pay some of our citizens to fight for you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Carthage was the good guys

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
How come all the Sparta defenders are so verbose when the Spartans had a reputation for loving brevity and witticisms and have a big dialogue in Thucydides where they tell some guys "You talked for so long I forgot what your original point was, just tell us what you want, dweeb"

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

CrypticFox posted:

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.abq3766 New paper on the tin from the Uluburun shipwreck (an enormous late bronze age shipwreck from near the Aegean carrying about one metric ton of tin, among many other things) finds that one third of it came from Uzbekistan. Long distance trade in tin was already known to be a thing, but its still pretty wild to see exactly how much tin was moving long distances.

Edit: There's a cool map in the article. The sites with the hammers are tin sources, it discusses the ones in Europe but dismisses them as possibilities, which is why those ones are labelled, but the site they identified from Uzbekistan as one of the tin sources is Musiston I think.

This is crazy, I took a class that talked about this shipwreck just last year.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Didnt the Qing also impose a Manchu hairstyle on Chinese people under pain of death to show their racial submission and place in like, their racial caste system? Idk abt how much the banners worked or the Qing empire but it seems wild to say that they didnt impose Manchu culture on a bunch of people

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Are there any first-hand accounts of Greek mercenary life besides Anabasis? I read a bunch of 30 Years War accounts by mercenaries for a paper and insights into their daily lives was really interesting, but I don't know if guys writing down the mundanities of their lives was a literally genre in Greek Antiquity

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I have to read a quick primer on Stoicism for a Greek and Roman tragedy class and one of the points made was something like "Stoics believed that every person is born with the capacity for reason and virtue" and how that becomes "If our slaves were Stoics then they wouldnt care that they were enslaved that's how good Stoicism is" which is pretty out of pocket imo.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

CrypticFox posted:

Cost might be a factor, realistic looking mail armor is going to be a lot more expensive to make than layered leather is.

Is there even a way to make fake mail for the arts like that without just like, making butted mail which still requires hours upon hours of labor?p

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I forget if I asked this but did George Washington just straight up base his life on cincinnatus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

zoux posted:

Did most people just wash their hair with bar soap

I see...

if youre black you dont want to use shampoo a lot