Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Didn't Sumerians count to 60 on their hands counting their knuckles which is where our things like an hour having 60 minutes in it etc came from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
The Whaleback midden in Damariscotta Maine was originally 1/4 mile by a 1/4 mile and 30 feet deep but was mostly excavated in the late 1800s to be ground up into chicken feed

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Squalid posted:

There's something oddly disturbing about literally eating our record of the past. Pity how efficiently we destroyed these archaeological sites. I assume there must have been some similar locations in Europe and Asia, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were even more efficiently mined out of existence.

That paper looks interesting, I'd like to learn more about this pre-Columbian Florida kingdom, though I doubt many details survived the conquistadors.

I actually looked it up after I posted to double check my memory and it /was/ the largest midden on the east coast...

Wikipedia posted:

Located on this stretch of river bank, now largely in the hands of the state or conservation organizations, are eleven shell middens. Two of these are famous: the Whaleback Shell Midden, now part of a state historic site, was the east coast's largest shell midden until it was commercially excavated for lime in the late 19th century. Opposite it stands the Glidden Midden, now the largest midden, which escaped that fate because its owner refused permission for commercial excavation.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Continuity RCP posted:

The preface specifically mentions leaving out all the stuff involving sow wombs

Nature's crock pot

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Weren't the huge buffalo herds due to the natives being killed by disease, removing the pressure keeping their populations in check

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Pompeii is like 8 feet below the surface vs ~80 feet for Herculaneum

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Kassad posted:

"Fighting with a Messer and a "Hungarian shield" (Gladiatoria Fechtbuch fol. 55r, mid 15th century)"

How big are your shoes?

Looks like a bowie knife

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Don Gato posted:

Maybe if he called it "Augustus and Agrippa's Murderous Adventure!" then more people would have made personal copies for it to survive.

The A-Team

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

sullat posted:

I think a lot of myths about how mountains and stuff were formed are pretty firmly based on actual geological events. Like the Native American legends about Crater Lake & Bridge of the Gods, for example. Also I remember reading about how the coastal tribes had legends about great waves smashing up the coast ~400 years ago that were fairly recently discovered to be true.

Almost. It was a pac nw earthquake that sunk a bunch of land And saltwater killed the trees. The locals had stories about this and it was dated approximately.

The Japanese on the other side of the Pacific kept meticulous records of earthquakes and tidal waves and on a very specific day in the 1700s had a tidal wave with no earthquake.

Other cool stories are the aboriginal stories about land that has been underwater for 10000 years and similar situations where geological studies have verified the age of verbally passed down stories.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Peanut Butler posted:

well iirc the idea was that it's not the making of the lines that requires an aerial view, it's viewing and appreciating the lines that would indicate some kind of aerial craft
but I think that loops back into a 'this is how we enjoy the nazca lines- from airplanes. it must be how the original creators enjoyed them, too' fallacy

They weren't even discovered until someone was flying around in an airplane and was like oh poo poo a giant cat

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Experimental archeologists discover that helmets are too hot and heavy.

Apparently Roman and Greek soldiers on the march wore cheap and simple broad-brimmed hats! And we have depictions of this!

Lol looks like a bare pot belly at first glance

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Locally there are lots of Lafayette memorials but the fun part is that some are his OG tour during the revolution and some are from years later when he came back and did a farewell sweep through the same towns

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

skasion posted:

Medieval Western Europe was by no means short on weird looking dogs. Idk what that one is but there was probably a specific word for it.

Village dogs, idk what other terms might exist for them, but basically if mutt was a breed. The dogs guide their own evolutionary pressures over generations and end up pretty weird but highly adapted to their world.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

daedalus

archimedes was a real dude

A dude that got screwed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

FishFood posted:

For muscle cuirasses in the ancient world, probably not. Mail basically supplanted bronze/leather/linen armor in the Mediterranean with muscle cuirasses being relegated to Roman officers who would not be expected to be on the front line and for ceremonial use.

Putting mail under a mostly ceremonial armor would be heavy, uncomfortable, and completely ruin the appearance which is the whole point of your cool muscly breastplate, all for additional protection you don't need.

Muscle armor was the m9 of the ancient army's, got it