Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Jazerus posted:

no, a youtube channel about artisanal cabbage that lapses into ultra-conservative rants every other episode

Sounds like Wranglerstar to me, only...smarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

So I'm in Rome this week. I've already got plans for a lot of the obvious stuff--touring the Mausoleum of Augustus, going up to Castel Sant'Angelo, that sort of thing, but I figured I'd lazyweb it--what's a cool place I should check out but probably haven't thought of?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Arglebargle III posted:

Ostia, and if you have time Westia.
:stare:

Grand Fromage posted:

Largo di Torre Argentina: Cat sanctuary and where Julius Caesar was murdered.
This was a Good Call. And so, for you, respectively:

quote:

National Etruscan Museum: Etruscans get overlooked.
This is tomorrow. I am really excited. I too have thought that the Etruscans get no respect.

quote:

Curia Julia: Caesar's senate house, which is still in good condition since it was used as a church. Easy to overlook in the forum. The original awesome doors have been removed and are now at the Basilica of St. John Lateran.
Lapis Niger: Another easy to overlook thing in the forum. Ancient, possibly pre-Roman shrine site that has a lot of myth connections, also the oldest Latin inscription was found here.
We walked around the upper walkways but I don't think my girlfriend would've wanted to spend the entire rest of the day gawking at things from ground level, and I do, so I'll probably go back some evening this week.

quote:

Also excellent decision to be there in January, I was there in August and... I do not recommend that.
Weather is perfect. 60F high, 39F low. I could have walked around without a jacket today. I don't understand how a bunch of other people were walking around in black puff coats, I'd have literally died.

It's also incredibly, incredibly cheap. Boston->Zurich->Rome and back, plus six nights in a completely reasonable hotel that is literally-not-figuratively down the hill from...

Epicurius posted:

the Villa Medici

...which we're going to tomorrow on the way to the National Etruscan Museum. Total price, $670 per person. I might die screaming in the hotel shuttle that goes three thousand miles per hour on the way back to the airport, but I'll die happy.

Epicurius posted:

I don't know how well known they are, but first, the Baths of Caracalla. Second, the Basilica of St. Mary of the Angels and the Martyrs, first, because it was designed by Michelangelo, and second, it was the former site of the Baths of Diocletian. Also, for more ancient Roman stuff, the Palazzo Valentini. They found a bunch of ancient Roman homes underneath it, and have used visual technology to sort of recreate them.
:yeah:

I think this'll be Thursday and Friday stuff. Thanks.

One of the more interesting things about this trip to me is that I can recognize stuff by name, but by sight is way harder even when I know what something looks like. Seeing things placed in context is not how Americans understand history, ffs. :colbert:

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 21, 2020

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

We also tried to go to the Mausoleum of Augustus (as I figure it's a good idea to go see it before the fascists come back) and were thwarted--it was due to be open last April, but appears not to be. But I did take my favorite and dubiously-relevant picture of all time while there so I consider it a fair trade.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Grand Fromage posted:

National Etruscan Museum: Etruscans get overlooked.

People, if you want to look at a whole lot of pottery and then even more pottery (and, in fairness, some bronze), this is the place for you. Read a book before going though. They made the curious decision to set it up mostly geographically (so it goes Vulci, Cerveteri, Tarquinia, Veii, etc.) instead of chronologically, so you find yourself jumping back to the 6th century a lot without a lot of place-setting to ground what you're seeing; my girlfriend got a little lost and I only remembered parts of the story myself so I wasn't a ton of help. But there are some heckin' rad tombs just lifted and set right back down in the basement.

The Villa Giulia in which the museum is housed is also really cool.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Grand Fromage posted:

Jealous, Rome is fantastic. Biggest thing I didn't see and regret is the Etruscan museum.
This thread told me to go check it out and it was right.

Make time for it. It's amazing.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

numerologists please advise

Hang on, I gotta go buy a chicken for this one

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Grand Fromage posted:

Not quite in the cat hole but nearby. I forget exactly how the layout matches to what's left, but Pompey's Theater had the curia attached to it (it's the rectangle at the center of the seats in that drawing) and I believe the theater/curia itself is under a neighborhood. The cat hole is a temple complex that was right next to it.
In the Before Times, I asked for advice in this very thread for places to go in Rome, and multiple people were like "go to Pompey's Theater".

I assumed it was the historical nature of the place, but honestly, if you'd told me I'd flown across an ocean to go see those cats I'd have been OK with it.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

What's that from?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Tree Bucket posted:

Me making nonsense in covid iso

Please continue, sounds fun

The nonsense, anyway

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Nessus posted:

All Latin letters derive from legionary dick doodles, pass it on

this is an insufficient explanation, legionary dick doodles clearly inherit from etruscan dongs and phoenician dongs before them. we have the receipts

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

pre-pizza roman: it's too hot to cook, let's just go to the p'zonopolium

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Zopotantor posted:

The Buddha is a non-canonised Christian saint.

Feast day when??

(it's 27 Nov according to the fine article. if you see the Buddha on the road, pass the potatoes)

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

the Crusader Historians of Wisconsintremer, or as their contemporaries called them, the Wedge Heads

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

that's a good map!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

AD, BC, ABY, Fourth Era, it’s all good