Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
There's a Roman history thread? Neat.

I live in a place that was a Corieltauvi settlement until it became a Roman colony. I'd love to know more about the Corieltauvi. Our local history museum has a preserved boat and some coinage of theirs. Unfortunately most of what I can find about the Corieltauvi are a bunch of very dry reports on the coins people have found here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Talking about Coptic, what evidence is there that Cleopatra was a polyglot?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've seen the following quote before

quote:

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.

Whenever I encounter it, not least in the loading screens of a popular video game, it's attributed to Scipio Africanus. Of course, we all know what Abraham Lincoln said about quotes on the internet. When I search for it, it's sometimes attributed to him and sometimes attributed to an evangelical pastor and radio show host called Charles Swindoll. I have doubts about this quote coming from the Roman general and wondered if the learned people here could say otherwise. While it's not uncommon for Romans to wax lyrical, particularly in the words given to them by their chroniclers, this nugget of wisdom just reads all too modern to my eyes.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The quote police will not be issuing you a citation.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I like Scipio's actual words better. Especially if this is after he earned his third name.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Surely the nationality is not determined by who conquered it first, but who did it most recently.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Much later in history there were various versions of "tell some people that x grants magic protection from musket fire, then demonstrate by firing muskets without the ball loaded at someone with x"

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Died with Covid

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If this is caused by survivorship bias then I'd love to know how many naked satanists tried raising a bulletproof cult unsuccessfully.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Iraneus, Iraneus.
Iraneus, Iraneus.
Iraneus, Iraneus.
Ooooh, Iraneus.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Roman Quinqueremes could carry about 400 souls, and were about 50m long, 8m wide at the widest point. Their square sails could carry the ship with the wind, but they did not have the technology to sail into the wind. They would mainly row the ship using its several tiers of oars.

Before the Pax Romana, Pompey raised 500 ships from several allied states as part of his campaign to rid the med and black sea of pirates. His son inherited what was described as the "Roman fleet" - some 200 vessels after the death of Julius Caesar. The warring between Octavian and Antonius saw battles of about 600 ships. While none of that happens within the Pax Romana, it's the closest ballpark within my knowledge.

All of this is sourced from a book "Fighting Techniques of the Ancient World 3000BC to AD500" in its chapter on naval warfare. Others in this thread may be more widely read on the topic.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The Romans replaced the corvus with grappling hooks. Much later on, Agrippa's navy used grappling hook bolts —which were fired from ballistas— to reel in boats at range.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
How many more miles a month can the men march if they leave their armour at home?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The purpose of movie armour is to convey the character. If they achieve that then I'm not going to split hairs over mixing different eras of armour design.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Halloween Jack posted:

Everyone's wearing leather in shades of grey and brown.

Then everyone must be boring

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tulip posted:

Feels unfair to compare most movies to a superlative movie.

It's quite a shame how dedicated contemporary pop culture is to making the past so much less colorful than we know it was. Just randomly covering stuff in mud to indicate 'the past' is parallel to the yellow filter to indicate 'Mexico,' it makes the movie both less honest and less interesting.

There's evidence that entire castles were painted in gaudy checkerboard patterns at one point and I do want to see it.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's hard to search the accuracy of DnD given the lack of documentation for the equipment of real dragon hunters.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's fascism, not scutism

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
In the nation's infancy, they got bullied by their neighbors a lot. This turned them into total edgelords, and they eventually killed their bullies and made their bullies' kids sit down to learn wisdom like "if you don't want to be trolled, be the big troll."

Then they were intrigued by weird foreign nations and they became weebs for everything. They took the foreign shields they liked, the foreign swords, even the foreign war beasts. They'd even make up fanfiction where they ship their own gods with the most bodacious foreign gods to make a cool new canon, or sometimes just say "wow, that's a really cool story about your God, but we call that God a different name and they totally did what happened in your story." They were such huge weebs that they had special cosplay LARP events where people get to be foreign warriors and die gloriously in battle as a kind of sports entertainment.

In the end the nation got really fat and cringey and half of its members decided maybe it's time to grow out of all of this.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Hello I would like an bar of anbar

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The Aztecs show how you can get pretty drat good with no more metallurgy than copper, and in a society that doesn't really use the wheel despite having discovered it.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Well given how water levels are rising, their ability to farm in brackish swampland may be just what we need.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
John the Baptist is written to have liked his honeyed crickets, not that scripture is the most reliable historical source.

Also, while they're not insects, snails can be farmed easily. You can throw them spoiled perishables and get a fatter snail out of the deal, and they're great for ancient travellers because "don't kill it until you need to eat it" is a perfectly good preservation method.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm not sure you could write a Viking comedy better than the attempted siege of Paris.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
IMO Thucydides was right to put Pride and Fear alongside Self Interest as the causes of war.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It feels to me like there's two conversations going on. One about power in geopolitics, and another about cultures.

Cultures that don't value pointy sticks or rampant growth exist, have existed, and are cool. Also, in geopolitics there is power to be won by any number of economic, technological, cultural and often hostile means. These aren't mutually exclusive, it's just the question of how you prevent the former from being a victim of the latter, without just saying "please don't do that." After all, it's not about false anthropological notions (as much as they help oppressors) or a lack of awareness. It's about people with power whose attitude to "please don't do that" is "what will you do to stop me?"

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Adding yeast to poo poo is about as old as ale: Rome encountered a lot of people North and West of them skimming the foam off their ale brews and putting it into bread or other ales, mainly to give them flavour (and to make the bread rise). I don't know whether they'd select for certain qualities in their ale foams, or even try mixing them. Still, I don't think it's entirely impossible to stumble upon yeast breeding without actually knowing it's a living thing if you're already in the business of using ale foam as an ingredient.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If ancient peoples want to get absolutely blasted it's not like they can't just eat the drat magic mushrooms.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
In ancient times you could go watch people killing actual humans for entertainment, then have people bathe you, and maybe check out some street performers (some of which were probably doing satirical impersonations of the local politicians). If you were Celtic, then gently caress alcohol: get blasted on shrooms. If you were Egyptian they had sex orgies so great they drew pictures of how great they were. If you'd rather be out of the city, go on a hunt, or a pilgrimage, or a walk in the vast swathes of untouched wilderness that will later be ravaged by humanity. If you hate people, do a craft: weave some baskets, knit a tapestry, make some carved poo poo. If you're Greek, why not live in a big jug, wank in public, and maybe chill with the urban dog pack. If you like forums that much, why not go to the original forum: they have all your favourite poo poo like hot takes and predictable political discussions. There's a lot to do.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Even back into the hunter gatherers there were people who pretended to be animals as a pastime.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
"well, we've got enough food, now what?"

"How about we make this waterlogged earth into fun shapes and then let it dry out?"

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I wonder who was first to map the coast of that peninsula and go "huh that kinda looks like a boot"

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I can't imagine discovering booze would put you in a mood to document it meticulously.

"Maybe it's the foamy apple juice talking, but you've got a butt that just won't quit"

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 28, 2021

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It is interesting to ask how much of historical analysis is essentially projection.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Greek philosopher Vegemites.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Byzantine orthodox church

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I like the early Roman calendar where they just stop counting the days in winter and pick up again when the weather does.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Everyone wants Alexander's sloppy seconds.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
We still use shields now when engaging combatants who are not likely to be armed with guns. The tactics seem to be similar but with tear gas instead of pilum throws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Pydna is an example of deliberately approaching a pike formation with the gladius in hand. It might seem odd, to players of the various video games out there, to march swords into the face of a pike phalanx, because the numbers in those games will make it a bad idea. Real life has a lot more tactical options than the game, however. They used their pilum volleys to disrupt the pike formations and, failing that, they retreated back over rough ground which they noticed was breaking up the phalanxes when the Macedonians tried to press forward. Eventually the romans broke their own formations up into small groups to force the Macedonian block to part itself in many places. That Macedonian phalanx with its spears poking out of it only works if it coheres. Once the Romans have openings to get themselves right up against their enemy, it's over.

Yes the Romans did mirror the Greek tactics for a while; they even used the hoplon for a time, before discovering the scutum somewhere in celtic and/or iberian territories. The idea that they mainly formed their own phalanxes, though, is not great given that they discovered and repeatedly employed the antidote to that particular tactic.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 17, 2022