Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

galagazombie posted:

Well the Bible was more or less hashed out before Constantine. He just gave it state backing and made the dissenters officially “wrong”. Though it’s obvious had he not done so, it would have become increasingly common for different movements to keep adding/removing stuff that supported/undermined their beliefs, until there were like six different bibles and Christianity was more a genre of faiths rather than a relatively coherent single one. Think like six religions all as different from each other as “normal” Christianity is from Judaism and none of them having plurality.

based

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

it's really the only reasonable date outside of 1204, but Byzaboos don't want you to think that

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Arglebargle III posted:

I agree that we're in an era of wilfully ignoring the signs of civilization straining towards collapse so those posts are perfect.

This never happened to Rome.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

cheetah7071 posted:

Wouldn't the Byzantines have gotten upset if Rome started muscling into Turkey?

The Byzantines migrated into that region along with the other tribes a little later.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Brawnfire posted:

"Alright, Ur, you get your beer?"
"Yep!"
"Check. How about you, Uru?"
"Yeah, got it."
"And check. Got your beer, Ur-ur?"
"You know it, boss."
"Love to hear it. Check. How about the Uruk brothers, Urham and Urhamsi?"
"We got, and we drank it!"
"You cads, you! Keep it up! Check."

this is now my headcanon for how linguistics was invented

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i'm going to start using "byzantine" exclusively over "east roman" or "roman", and "roman" over "holy roman" as well, into the 18th century. this is my stand.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

cheetah7071 posted:

if you replace holy roman with roman, and roman with byzantine, does that mean the holy roman empire is byzantine?

holy poo poo

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

wish i could have tried traditional Shiraz wine from the region

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Otteration posted:

Aside: Don’t wish this guy any harm, but do hope he is getting paid to become familiar with the workings of his local car wash.

Never mind. It’s Friday on History. There he he is again.

jealous?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

decaying empire construction standards also decay, news at 11

I think it was GF who noted that after you have the building Constantine threw together in Trier or Cologne, there's just not many massive constructions in the West.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

ChubbyChecker posted:

behold, a greek:

further proof the roman empire was the height of greece's existence (~100 BCE to ~400 AD)

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

not sure i've read a single argument about how bad blimps/airships/zeppelins are here that counteracts "they look really cool"

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Jazerus posted:

imagine being the monk that erased lives of famous whores to get parchment for your cheese recipes

hell yeah i'd have some cheese

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Warden posted:

Being really into and admiring Eastern Roman Empire online is a huge red flag these days.

yeah it’s usually barely a step removed from straight up “death to Islam” poo poo, byzaboo to hate pipeline is real

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Freudian posted:

Tory PM Alec Douglas-Home was staying near Aberdeen in 1964, when a couple of students turned up at the place he was staying, and told him they were here to kidnap him. He replied, "I suppose you realise if you do, the Conservatives will win the election by 200 or 300." They had not in fact considered this, so he gave them a couple of drinks, and they left.

happy ending

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

PittTheElder posted:

Though there's now a push in CS circles to rename this (along with other more problematic terms, most notably master-slave relationships which are all over the place) to something that doesn't reference any ethnic group. Two Generals Problem works just as well anyway.

im pretty happy to report none of the CS circles I'm in has a Paradox map gamer trying to argue Byzantine is a valid ethnicity

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Grand Fromage posted:

go watch a Japanese comedy show and it's mostly mystifying, not funny.

uh

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

euphronius posted:

This is probably part of it

tag you'reself. im Occitan (Provencal)

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

PittTheElder posted:

Now I'm sad there was never a Kevin Sorbo Hercules episode of Stargate. Sure Sorbo is an rear end in a top hat but that would have been pretty funny.

i guess you could say you're DIS-A-PPOINT-ED?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Benagain posted:

I mean people had found fossils and poo poo plus in much more recent times people thought that moose and platypi were mythical.
they're right

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Comstar posted:

Follow up question- why didn’t Egypt just conquer….everyone? You had later empires much larger in size but no one else is around at the start.

so, i really dont want you to think im making fun of you or belittling you for this, but this is fundamentally a video game mentality. like map painting in a garbage paradox game or something

from the perspective of a 20th century BCE leader who could levy significant troops in ancient Egypt, what on earth would the point be? what would you gain from moving into the arid wasteland of the Sinai? There were fringe areas in the west that could be valuable, but mostly it was arid wasteland on the way there, too. What was your goal?

Eventually, the Egyptians would come into contact with peoples from the Levant and Anatolia, and Greece, and yes Carthage and Rome, and then these calculations may be different or not. But spending a ton of money, lives, food, risking your position, for.. nothing? literally nothing? not even glory? What's the point

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

SlothfulCobra posted:

That "mostly desert" empire contains roughly 10% of all humanity at the time. The levant is a loving big place to project your power out to, and likewise going that far down the Nile is nothing to sneeze at. It's a long way to go. Literally every big ancient empire contains a lot of uninhabited space within their dominion, but it doesn't make distances travelled unreal.

There is no real meaning to any of these statements, they had fights but didn't get into real fights? They didn't care about the empire that they kept conquering to maintain? A decent amount of hegemony over 300 years would make the Mongolian empire's tenure seem like a joke.

wh..what are you saying

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

CrypticFox posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with you overall, but every Bronze Age empire in the Near East had a light hand over their non-core territories. The Hittites also had a generally similar approach (vassal kings, etc) to governing territories in the Levant that they conquered back and forth from the Egyptians as well, and so did other contemporary Bronze Age empires like the Mitanni empire or the Middle Assyrians. This isn't unique to Egypt, and it's not a very useful metric for comparing Egypt to other contemporary empires.

well, there is one very big memory holed example of the contrary, but yeah this was generally true of those states

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Jamwad Hilder posted:

maybe have a guy fan you with a big palm leaf?

i would also have a second, unrelated guy who would pluck each grape from a stem, and feed it to me as i lay

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Tulip posted:

To be clear almost all of the Roman empire was coastal. Like eastern spain and greece and southern spain and uh Italy were all coastal. Not all of them produced enormous food surpluses.

no, that's not true. none of those places are coastal

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Orbs posted:

Wait, they're not? I thought the mediterranean coastline counted, at least as far as shipping and trade go.

you're not thinking with like.. your wider mind, maaan. the only places coastal are those that we WANT to be coastal

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

it was the land locked nature of the western roman empire that made it collapse. the east, where they knew mesopotamia was part of the mediterranean coast, was able to survive far longer.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

zoux posted:

I guess my question is "since monotheism is so successful as a religion, it's odd that it only got invented one time" but I suppose if there were other monotheistic religions the Abrahamic derived ones would look less impressive.

religions aren't really invented like that, they're complex sociological movements. monotheism, as other posters noted, isnt a consistent term across religions, and really is more of a modern view distorted due to Christianity.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

hey can someone show me the oldest original document with the year written like we do in modern day, but i dont want it modern it has to be old. no not that old, because they didnt date years RIGHT then, it has to be dated how we do RIGHT NOW, but it has to be THE SAME THING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Cool Dad posted:

You're not the same guy who didn't think hieroglyphic translations were real are you?

come on dude why ya gotta chase him away