Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

This came up in another context, but what evidence is there for early mathematics, especially in cultures just now getting literacy?

The context is an RPG setting where nebulous forces prevent the implementation of several advanced concepts, including numbers beyond "nine" (quantities beyond that can be counted as "many"). That seemed... implausibly low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the counting stuff is deffo colored by daniel everett's 40-year slow-burning vicious academia war against chomsky
Yeah? What's the deal with that?

The Piraha thing is interesting but as the article itself said, these might be more comparative terms than anything. I can buy not having words for every number between one and some arbitrary future number, but it seems like you would have to have some kind of interior estimative capacity, imperfect as it might be, to determine which is more or fewer.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the two of them think it's incompatible. they think it's so, so, fuckin incompatible. hundreds and hundreds of pages of increasingly personal attacks
We will just have to see which of the two of them agree with me about current events wants it more.

What exactly is recursion in this context, anyway?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Thebes rocks? Thebes rocks.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

There was also likely survivorship bias, since I think Egypt's proximity to good stone both made it easier to build the things and meant that they were less likely to get torn apart by later generations of inhabitants. Wasn't this the fate of many of the original Seven Wonders -- scavenged by the local residents?

As for the shape, obviously they learned it from the aliens.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

euphronius posted:

15th century Egypt expanded pretty far. The Hittites were able to stop them going into Asia Minor. I don’t know why they didn’t go into Iraq. Where else was there ? Greece and rome weren’t much then
Coastal Libya/Algeria I suppose? But I think even in that period that was on the other end of hundreds of miles of, at best, scrubland.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tulip posted:

Over in cspam the dividing line for modern vs pre modern is 1789, which I realize is so that people who want to bite each other over spanish civil war minutia are quarantined, but always leaves me with "what the hell do we do with the 16th 17th and 18th centuries? Do we just memory hole them or are we saying the 7 Years War was medieval?"

Some people use it specifically as the start of the modern era! Though more common is using Bosworth as the very last pre-modern event.
So America was colonized during medieval times then?

I’m sure nothing important happened in Europe between 1500 and 1800 either

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

If I know one thing about history, it is that it perfectly mirrors my views on human nature!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah as Tesla Cola says, the bloodiest secessionist war would be the Taiping rebellion. (Likely ever, but it was also contemporaneous with the American civil war). It was basically WWI if WWI happened inside a single country. Somewhere between 5 and 10% of the population of China was killed.

The whole "American Civil War was the bloodiest civil war in history" meme is a weird one but seems quite persistent.
It's the conflict with the greatest number of American military casualties in history to date!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Telsa Cola posted:

Well its a little more complex than that as we don't call every permanent settlement a city. There's a complexity/density criteria that generally needs to be hit.
big enough for a dedicated brothel?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Latins and Greek settle like this

But Gauls and Germanics settle like this

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ChaseSP posted:

Communication across a sea of water like the Mediterranean is also far easier compared to overland travel, barring river travel of course. So this means that people inland can potentially be far more reclusive despite being nearest in matter of miles simply due to the longer time it takes to travel inland compared to across the sea.
I guess the greeks being a bunch of enclaves on the coast was really quite weird for the time.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Jazerus posted:

the romans were also simply insanely militaristic by the standards of the ancient world. as a society they could muster an army, have that army completely eat poo poo, muster another one, have that one eat poo poo, and still have the capability to raise a third - and that was before they extended their reach and population all that far away from italy. most ancient states of rome's size during the middle republic were not able to do that - the army they had was the army they had, and bouncing back from a devastating loss was often just not possible. regardless of any tactical advantages, persistence was the main thing that let them take down the successor states
How were they able to manage this? Was the area around Rome unusually productive? Innovative recordkeeping? The favor of Jupiter?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. You're right about the records, which is part of the problem. The estimates are mainly from population size (itself an estimate, though we have a decent idea of this) and finding bodies that died from violence, which is of course a very incomplete source. What we can say for sure is a surprisingly large number of remains are found where the guy was murdered, far more than you would expect if violence rates were comparable to today.
What I remember vaguely was something that was using analysis from relatively peaceful PNG hunter-gatherer tribes, and the general format was interviews, where they would ask people about their family members and how they died. And it wasn't that they were always busting out the war drums, but when you talked to a somewhat-older-but-not-ancient woman and she can recall three different relatives who were killed in raids or counter-raids, and this is not that unusual in terms of frequency, you have a staggeringly high rate of violence per capita, even if you have many fewer capitas involved. Which in turn means there are long stretches with no violence whatever.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Telsa Cola posted:

That format is setting up sirens in my head because you are interviewing folks/groups dealing with the effects of being colonized which is insanely distruptive. There were similar issues with the UC system of trying to interview/perform ethnographic studies on tribes in California as a form of salvage ethnography before they were impacted too much.
I would tend to agree, although it might be less ridiculous since I think it was in the forbidding parts of PNG which have never really been settled by modernity. (Obviously, they have inhabitants, who arrived there at some point, but you know what I mean)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Not denying there couldn't be a impact, but if ethnographic interviews in PNG and archaeological evidence in Germany are pointing in the same direction despite both having significant but unrelated questions in their methodology, that's a positive in the "hunter-gather life was very violent per-capita" theory evidence box.

Something kills everyone in the end, and Violence being a large % of the causes makes sense, when the others are Disease, Old Age, and Starvation.
On the one hand, being an agriculture guy seems to increase your deaths from Disease. On the other hand, if you suddenly start having geometrically increasing numbers of deaths, and they don't taper off, then Izanagi's outracing Izanami for the moment!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Orbs posted:

That's possible, but the latter could also point to the extensive colonial efforts to draw in more settlers and investment, more than there actually being nobody there.
I don't follow, it sounds like a lot of these regions had been cultivated and had been fairly recently abandoned (if perhaps not like literally last week, or even last year). Do you mean that the expansion moved so fast that those areas didn't have time to revert to wilderness with much less sign of previous habitation?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

zoux posted:

What were they getting after that deep into North Africa? What was the state of the sahara 200 years ago
200 years ago? Same as now! :v:

I think the Sahara was still desert at the time but may have been somewhat less nasty, if I understand correctly it has historically oscillated between savannah and, well, what it is now. It may get back into savannah with climate change!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I thought the big "moneymaker" was Egypt which has something special about it, in the form of the Nile.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I think that coins are perhaps the most safe antiquity you can buy, since once they've been used to date a particular dig and maybe given a quick scrape in case they want to test the metallurgy, they are basically like indicator fossils: 'not much further actual information to be found here.'

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

FishFood posted:

From my admittedly inexpert understanding, this is one of the big mysteries in American archaeology right now. The genetic evidence points to people being in the Americas a lot earlier than Clovis, and there are scattered sites that are earlier, but Clovis is so huge and shows up everywhere.

Stefan Milo's youtube channel has some great videos on the subject:
https://youtu.be/UsnrdCdGs7o?si=ENnOwgNRR1goYMmf
https://youtu.be/cXRoKJcLjJw?si=EKnFlCrONiCt-DzZ

Basically we just don't know. While people were almost certainly in the Americas before it, Clovis could represent the first big wave, possibly of people who had stayed in Alaska until the glaciers melted. Or it could just be an artifact (heh) of preservation, that earlier sites didn't preserve as well or are in locations archaeologists have overlooked until now.
There would be a certain grim irony if the Clovis culture showed up and just rolled all over the pre-existing societies, before eventually diverging in myriad ways.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I thought it was 130 ft not m. :catstare:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I think the big difference was the missionary impulse. A little witnessing goes a long way. As does having your western outlying territories colonize and expropriate several large continents

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Like if somehow the Americas were conquered by China, Vietnam and Japan we’d have a conversation about why Buddhism and Islam were the top dogs, despite the Frankish religion having so many similarities to Islam.

Might blame it on Frankish drunkenness :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Orbs posted:

Exactly. Although Islam is an interesting special case, in that much of its imperialism seems to have been for a long time, a sort of quasi-anti-imperialism, centered around opposing what were viewed as the evil parts of Rome.
How’d that hold up once they got east of Afghanistan (everyone forgets about the huge numbers of Malaysian and Indonesian Muslims)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

That’s legit. No faith so pure that it can’t end up serving an emperor after all

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Personally I blame Constantine
That Sting looking motherfucker owes me thirty bucks

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah if you’re basing your whole critique of Christianity on American right wing evangelicals, you’re sort of backhandedly endorsing their claim to be the one true faith, not an obnoxious sub variant with undue influence due to historical contingencies

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

There’s Unitarian Christianity but the UUs in America are basically the Church for Leftish Folks Who Enjoy The Church Experience (Or Are Real Darn Small, But Need Some Folks)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Benagain posted:

If a person gives homage to Deez Nutz is that technically monotheism since they are worshipped as a single entity with the same purpose
The left, the right, and the holy scrote.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The belief in Schneerson as the Messiah is certainly present among the Chabad-Lubavichers but they're nowhere near all of the Hasidim, although thanks to Chabad they're probably the most well-known outside of the Jewish community. And it's not even universal in that particular movement. Give it a few hundred years, though :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Strategic Tea posted:

Europe really doesn't care as long as the military support keeps coming. The US is really not socially compelling here except to ultraconservatives.
Isn't American youtube cooking the brains of all of your home grown maniacs

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mad Hamish posted:

Well, Re spends the day sailing across the sky in His solar barque which is named Millions of Years, so we know that at least one Egyptian boat had a name.

The one He travels in through the twelve caverns of the Underworld which are the hours of the night has a way less badass name, which is just plain old Night Boat.
Does it have early appearances by Brent Spiner?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

Even if you think humans are natrually violent jerks, it's still surprising to hear about complete population replacements. They're quite rare within recorded history. Most of the time, empires wanted to tax the locals, not kill them and take the land. It makes sense that pre-state societies might have different priorities, but it's still a bit shocking to hear.
I saw the OP on this one mention genetics and I'm curious about the methodologies involved as well as the time horizons. My reflex is to figure 'humans constantly genocided each other in the past' is as much of a projection of modernity onto the past as Rousseau is, although obviously there may be some actual material backing for the former now. :v:

That said it's certainly a plausible outcome. The Maori vs. the Moriori was surprisingly recent and well documented.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

All of the above happened. Sometimes there was peaceful infiltration and coexistence. Sometimes there was violent genocidal replacement, and sometimes there was leadership/governmental changes without much change for the commoner.

There's some genetic evidence becoming available to tease out just what happened when.
That's multiple options! I need you to get down to one!

I am reminded of the apocryphal considerations of Temujin, when an advisor said "If you burn the Chinese and turn their lands back to grass, you'll loot a million bolts of silk, I'm sure. If you tax them, you will get half a million bolts of silk every year."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

No kzinposting in the Terran history thread

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Every historical figure lacks my enlightened perspective as the peak of science and art. They are all evil bastards, with the exception of a couple I personally liked reading about, who were merely misguided on some matters, largely due to the interference of the evil bastards.

Based on this firm foundation, I predict the ultimate triumph of the Gauls.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Strategic Tea posted:

Yeah for all that it must have been awful to live in the age of door to door political murder, just think how good it would have been if the people being murdered were the baddies!
:hmmyes: once we kill all the bad people everything will work out. Seems flawless

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Carbon dating was hugely impacted, there's a LOT more c14 now and that's why low background steel is valuable
Does it affect the really old samples or is it more like you can't reliably carbon date things from after when the nuke tests started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

I’m definitely reading this too literally, but people in that story seem to sink immediately and disappear without trace as soon as they enter water. ‘River’ didn’t seem like a very good way of killing uncooperative people unless you attach big rocks to them first or something.
For some reason I do not comprehend apparently learning how to swim has, historically, been loving rare throughout the world, including in places like England or Ireland where if your little fishing coracle capsized you might well have a reasonable chance of making it to shore.

Like I can see the reasoning for blue ocean sailors -- it's not like they're going to be able to easily turn back for you, so you might as well get it over with quickly. Even so!