Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Is the whole "Some dude invented the steam engine and a Roman emperor had him killed and the plans/machine destroyed because he thought it'd make people lazy" even remotely true?

I've seen it rehashed on these forums at least 4 times. Everytime slightly different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

On that topic. Why is Latin such a dead language? Aside from maybe people in the Vatican speaking it. I mean I understand why it's a dead language, kind-of. I just have a hard time grasping the concept considering how large and dominant the empire once was. I mean, was everyone speaking Latin? I understand that Rome was so large and stretched out that the Latin eventually turned into dialects which turned into our modern Romance languages. Which, while very similar, are still quite different. Also the people that they were taking over obviously had their own language before Latin came about. You mention Rome letting people live their lives freely as long as they didn't oppose and paid their taxes. But I guess thousands of miles and years will do all that to a language. I understand these languages didn't come about over night and I'm overseeing just how long of a time it was.

I vaguely remember someone telling me about someone of importance trying to standardize the language spoken around 300 ad? throughout the Empire but realized everyone was too far into their own dialects and what they considered to be the original Latin that it was a lost cause?

Actually tell me all about the linguistics surrounding the Romans.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 10, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I have a bunch of pictures of Conimbriga that I took. It was a Roman settlement in Portugal just outside of Coimbra. You guys mind if I share? Maybe I'll link them so I don't clog the thread.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

How tall was the average Roman?

Anymore cool info not on google about the Silphium plant that was supposedly used to extinction? And it's mystical powers to cure everything and as a contraceptive.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Going to share some mediocre photos from my travels if you guys don't mind.

A Roman coastal village found in the middle of Lisbon. Lisbon was destroyed by an earthquake in 1755. Apparently a river ran through the middle of the city at some point. I believe in the process of rebuilding they found this, then someone bought it. Walking by you'd never think there was anything in there. It was quite cool and the floor was transparent. They used wooden pillars to support the old buildings and the water you see is from the former river than ran through there. If you suck it up it will just come back, apparently.

This particular area was apparently a "fish factory." They would stack fish in those square areas between salt/spices for the soldiers.

Link to album - http://s459.photobucket.com/albums/qq318/ChristoffTravel/Conimbriga/Lisbon/

I went to Conímbriga. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Con%C3%ADmbriga
A Roman settlement just outside of Coimbra, Portugal. Apparnetly one of the largest/best kept in Western Europe? Had to take a bus to the city next to it and walk there.

It was pretty cool. I was free to just walk around and venture by myself. Hell, I could have trampled all over the mosaics and no one would have noticed.

Album - http://s459.photobucket.com/albums/qq318/ChristoffTravel/Conimbriga/Conimbriga/

Someone mentioned Roman painting. I'm not going to bother sharing all my photos from Rome because just about everyone has been there it seems. But I'll share some from The Casa De Augustus paintings. They just recently excavated these paintings (So I was told. These pics are from 2006 btw) done on walls in the downstairs area of his apartment. They are viewable by the public and will probably be closed off to the rest of the world within this year. (So I was told)

Album -

http://s459.photobucket.com/albums/qq318/ChristoffTravel/Conimbriga/Augustuus/

gently caress it here's 3 from Rome

Pantheon

Oh and the oldest active Roman light house in the world. "Torre de Hercules". In A Coruna, Spain.

In all fairness it was rebuilt. Supposedly to the exact specs. The line running up the side is supposed to mark where there was a ramp that was probably used for bringing fire wood up. At the entrance under it there are ruins of the original light house. The stones were used to build a fort/prison in the city.

Found this online

quote:

Figure 1. Here we have one of the earliest images of the Torre de Hércules (the Tower of Hercules). It was constructed by the Romans in the second century BC

Alright sorry to interrupt the Roman-chat. Please continue.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 19, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

physeter posted:

poo poo like dead hookers just wasn't going to rate very high on the cultural alarm scale. I'm sure they would be noticed and perhaps something done, but weren't likely to create such a sensation that mention of them would survive the centuries. Antiquity looks nice seen through the prism of public baths and sparkly legions, but in reality it was closer to post-apocalyptic Somalia than it ever was to modern Western society.

Anymore random tid-bits like this to add? The riots from sport and Pompeii graffiti really shed light to the "poo poo hasn't changed much."

It was discussed before but we all imagine that prostitution was wide, pedophilia, and orgies. But it seems most of that was fabricated? (Plus, y'know, Hollywood) And it was as shunned as it is in today's society? Things that are taboo because, you know, religion or something. I mean we can't say they were all child rapist and having orgies all day and it was ok. Sure, those people might have existed. But it's not like they're not around today.

Anyways, yeah, tell me more morbid poo poo that we tend to want to avoid talking/thinking about. Like that people weren't drawing dicks or writing girls names on bar walls back then.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 28, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Rome collapse chat:

My step-dad, a devout Christian, is convinced Rome fell because of homosexuality. :ughh:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

karl fungus posted:

What were the Romans like in regards to sex? For example, what were the sexual mores of Roman civilization? Did they have any methods of birth control? What did they consider attractive qualities in men and women?

I posted it already but it's fun reading about Silphium

quote:

Silphium (also known as silphion or laser) was a plant that was used in classical antiquity as a rich seasoning and as a medicine.[1] It was the essential item of trade from the ancient North African city of Cyrene, and was so critical to the Cyrenian economy that most of their coins bore a picture of the plant

Many medical uses were ascribed to the plant.It was said that it could be used to treat cough, sore throat, fever, indigestion, aches and pains, warts, and all kinds of maladies.

It has been speculated that the plant may also have functioned as a contraceptive, based partly on Pliny's statement that it could be used "to promote the menstrual discharge"

Some bits say it's not extinct or that it was just over farmed.

Also, I can't find it on google. But I remember I saw it in a GBS thread. It was about a Roman settlement found fairly recently I think in Northern Italy. I think it was under farmland and was right under everyones nose. Like, you could see the walls and structures from a plane window?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

This thread confused me a bit so clear this up for me.

I've read since the beginning and a lot of times you guys emphasize that racism wasn't about skin color or where you were from. Rather the culture. And that if you accepted the "Roman" way of life you were a Roman.

So, what determined your social class? Whether you were a slave or gladiator or something? I assume it's somethig you were born into but I remember it mentioned that some Empererors came from poverty and rose through the ranks. So obviously it's not a caste type system? And I know slaves then weren't slaves in the traditional sense of what we consider slaves.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

How about the Romans and personal pets? Did they use dogs or any other animals besides horses in war? I know Hannibal used elephants.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Any talk about climate/weather of the regions of then that we can compare to now?

I swore I remember reading that at it's height Egypt was lush and green. Just curious if there was any obvious differences in climate compared to what we have now. Mind you, not a global warming debate. As I know the world goes through warm/cold shifts throughtout time.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Can you guys sum up the Greek/Roman relationship? It confuses me a bit. I just assumed they were always rivals. Then different language and alphabet. Why didn't they just make them speak Latin? I assume the wealthy folks of Rome spoke Greek.I know Rome kind of came about after they had their glory days. And that they stole a ton of, well, everything from them.

Did Rome just let them do their own thing towards the end?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 23, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I remember listening to the audiobook "Lies my teacer told me." There was a brief bit but I don't remember the exact passage. So I'll steal it from this thread here.

It mentioned Roman coins and pottery during a chapter on pre-Coloumbian contact with the Americas.

I'm not convinced one way or the other. Just curious about your guys opinion. It's definitely possible that in all those years a crew made it there but not back? Or simply a ship made it's way there sans the crew.

quote:

Near Parahyba, Brazil, an inscription on Phoenician has been translated, in part, as: "We are sons of Canaan from Sidon, the city of the king. Commerce has cast us on this distant shore, a land of mountains. We set [sacrificed] a youth for the exalted gods and goddesses in the nineteenth year of Hiram, our mighty king. We embarked from Ezion-Geber into the Red Sea and voyaged with ten ships. We were at sea together for two years around the land belonging to Ham [Africa] but were separated by a storm [lit. 'from the hand of Baal'], and we were no longer with our companions. So we have come here, twelve men and three women, on a... shore which I, the Admiral, control. But auspiciously may the gods and goddesses favor us!"
In 1886, the remains of a shipwreck was found in Galveston Bay, Texas. Its construction is typically Roman.
Coins have also been found in Venezuela and Maine

Then a possible Roman shipwreck in Brazil

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I searched this sub-forum and didn't see anything about it

I highly recommend the book "Soldiers and Ghosts" - http://www.amazon.com/Soldiers-Ghos...iers+and+ghosts

Dude loving loves talking about the phalanx. He goes on some seemingly pointless tangents in the beginning that drag out for a bit, though. That being said awesome book!

I have a question that may be straying a bit off-topic but bear with me.

So I understand the Moors invaded Iberia around 8th century AD and occupied it for a while. How come this piece of history is hardly ever talked about or mentioned? I understand a good portion of the castles and forts in Portugal and Spain now were built by them. But it seems like they didn't leave anything when they were kicked out. Culture, religion, race, etc? Like they were just kicked out and all remants of them wiped aside from the castles they could use. I'm having a hard time articulating this question the way I want to but that's the jist of it.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 22, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Alright, guess I'm just naive then! Thanks

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah, I assumed it could be a pride thing. Just not something I ever remember learning about. When visiting castles in Portugal and such there'd be a big blurb about the history of it and at the very bottom "oh and this was built by the Moors."

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Libluini posted:

Well, history is written by the winners, after all.

Right, but they occupied the area for what, 700 years?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

"Meet the Romans" is really great and split into 3 parts on YouTube. It was mentioned earlier in this thread (particular one part where she's reading silly epitaphs of regular people)

So thanks whoever that was but go watch it!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

And the #1 social hour event that is taking a (presumably long) communal poo poo

Lots of hemorrhoids then I assume

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 1, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Leather underwear :sweatdrop:

Sure is cold over here in Britannia! Least I got these socks for my sands

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I always hated and cringed at that part in 300 where he calls the Athenians homos and everyone in the theatre laughed "haha got 'em!" :downs:

Didn't a lot of the "Romans/greeks were terrible orgy having faggots" stem from modern day Christianity?

What other little bits and taboo subjects have been misconstrued or exaggerated from folks around the Middle Ages(?)

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Sep 7, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I thought part of mentoring a young Spartan and poo poo was anal? (No pun intended)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Victorians were responsible for most of that crap. The weird gay stuff, the origies, the vomitorium, all that extreme moral degradation nonsense. The Romans were pretty prudish.

Care to elaborate or I mean anyone else?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Born again bible thumping Christian family member assures me that Rome fell because of homosexuality

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Any good recommendations on documentaries surrounding this large period? Not looking for anything specific really. Just love well done informative documentaries. Netflix, amazon, youtube...

I really liked Meet the Romans. Really enjoy seeing the "other side" of history or rather less known

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rggk_H3jEgw

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Curious about ancient civilizations and fitness and personal appearance. I know the Romans at least were obsessed with appearance. Wigs, plucking hairs, bath houses, etc. I know there was the olympics of course, they were competitive, etc. Aside from that and the Military did people want to be all healthy like? Aside from knowing that if you run a lot you'll be able to run more and faster did they understand all the effects on their health? Are the statues of swole as gently caress dudes exaggerated a lot?

Like did the concept of gyms exist outside of Military and gladiators? Was some upper class woman going to get her daily exercises in to tone her booty? Would you see people out for their daily jog in the morning through the streets of Rome?

Did the Romans revere the Greeks as athletes?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

they see me rolling

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So is Justinian's Flea pretty dope or what?

Justinian's Flea: The First Great Plague and the End of the Roman Empire https://www.amazon.com/dp/014311381X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_af6Fwb0QSY7ZS

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

How is the kindle version more than paperback

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

From a PYF thread I had to post this here.

The dancing plague

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_Plague_of_1518?wprov=sfsi1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

quote:

Posca was a popular drink in ancient Rome and Greece, made by mixing sour wine or vinegar with water and flavouring herbs. It originated in Greece as a medicinal mixture but became an everyday drink for the Roman army and the lower classes from around the 2nd century BC, continuing to be used throughout Roman history and into the Byzantine period.

huh

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posca