Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Postal posted:

I'm no expert, but I believe you answered your own question. A quick GIS for Galba and one for Justinian and the answer is more or less is obvious. Busts of Galba are almost entirely presented in sculpture, which is representing a 3D object in 3D so you can do a direct comparison for realism (which I think is what you're asking about) vs Justinian which is almost exclusively mosaic which is a) a 2D representation and b) a medium that is much harder to work with than paint but it lasts longer so it's almost all we have. As to why art moved from sculpture to mosaic, isn't that explained by a change in fashion?

The coins have a change in style from side-on to front-on profiles, which again is probably style of the day, although I do agree that there does seem to be a drop in realism from Galba to Justinian. But that might be because coins are utilitarian, not high art, and Justinians' coins were cheaper to mint. On the other hand, the "cheaper" die might have been easier to forge - but I'm guessing.

There was a mention earlier in this thread of Roman and Greek 2D depictions from murals that dated to the same era as the realistic sculptures you're looking at, and they were truly god-awful from a realism perspective. I think it's just that we nailed down 3D realism in Hellenistic Greece but didn't figure out how to do 2D realism properly until 2000 years later in the renaissance, and the fashion changed from 3D to 2D over the time period you're looking at.

Also most of Justinian's statues and busts were tore down for the gold within them or torn down by rival religious groups.

http://www.byzantium1200.com/justinia.html

This statue lasted all the way until the Conquest of Constantinople in 1453. So lets say that there was busts and statutes in that timeframe. Just that they didn't survive because Justinian wasn't as well regarded as Julius Caesar was in his own time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Falukorv posted:

How did Iberia fare in the timeperiod between it's complete conquest (sometime during Augustus) and invasions of Vandals, Suebi and Goths? I know that it was famous for it's metal, olives, and that a few famous emperors were born there, but before the fall of the Western Empire, it doesn't come up much when reading about Imperial rome during the period i mentioned. Talking mostly about civil war, usurpations, invasions and revolts which happen throughout many regions in the empire, but from my reading, Iberia stands out as relatively uneventful.

I ask about that specific timeframe becasue obviously alot of action occurs there when the peninsula is in the process of being conquered, and in the very end the collapse affects the whole Western empire.

That's because Iberia was uneventful. Where were enemies going to come from? Gaul and Northern Africa were under Roman control. There may have been slave uprisings quite often because of the extensive mining going on there but if I recall properly there wasn't even a single legion stationed in Iberia until the Germanic movements made the region a front issue.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Patter Song posted:

Question: what all do we know was going on in sub-Saharan West Africa during Classical Antiquity? I'm not really familiar with anything in that area up until the Islamic conquests and the interactions the Arabs had with Ghana. Every discussion I've seen of sub-Saharan Africa in Antiquity has focused on Ethiopia (Aksum etc) and I was wondering what you'd find going on in West Africa around the time of Augustus, or even further back in the time of Pericles.

EDIT to clarify: everything I've seen about West Africa basically starts around 700 CE with the first exposure to the Arabs. I'm wondering what we know of the period before that.

Hanno the Navigator supposedly went from Carthage down to Cameroon and wrote about the volcano there. This occured about some time 600-500BCE and apparently was costly as all hell in terms of personnel. He also is the guy who gave Gorillas their name, he just thought they were super savage barbarians not an entirely different species.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
How did the mines find the vast amount of slave labor when the conquests ceased? Surely there couldn't have been that many debtors and people selling themselves to sustain the losses described for Roman era mining.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Disinterested posted:

Yes, although curiously knowledge of the ancient Greek and Latin languages survived best in Ireland and England for the same reasons, which is why Charlemagne had to import monks from the British Isles to staff his clergy and kick off a new revolution in literacy.

The closer you got to Rome the more likely you would have learned Latin from people around you. Britannia was on the rear end end so the common people had to be taught Latin by tutors for a long time. They ended up with a more grammatically pure Latin while the Romans in Rome had boatloads of slang in day to day speech.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any explanation as to why Galerius let Constantine pull the self declaring himself stunt? Shouldn't he have been capable of outnumbering in any military matter since the 3 other Emperors were in his pocket?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ah, I wasn't really aware of the placement of armies during that timeframe. I always wondered why Galerius didn't consider using the same means Domitius Alexander used. Breaking North Africa off and cutting the grain shipments of Egypt and North Africa seems to be a more logical way to destabilize Italy rather than the failed march Galerius did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Deltasquid posted:

Does anyone have good resources on various examples of court intrigue? I'm specifically wondering about stuff in the Byzantine empire, also Italy and Spain. Does the history of Rome podcast go in any depth about this? I'm looking for things that are a bit deeper to sink my teeth into than "Oh yeah, there was a power struggle between Irene and her son, and she won" or something like that. I'm interested in the how and why; why did certain actors are the court want to hinder others, how did alliances and factions form and shift, how did a good emperor or king hold on to power whereas his predecessors got killed?

It could also be medieval history, but I'm asking this thread because the Byzantines (justified or not) are the first thing that come to mind, for obvious reasons.

During the reign of Constantius II there was a few notable individuals Mercurius the Dreamer and Paulus the Chain. Mercurius would weasel his way into banquets and other social events and when were drunk you'd say something along the lines of "If I were emperor I'd have the Praetorian Guard clank you on the head and throw you into the alleyway you drunk!" Mercurius would then immediately run to Constantius and tell him that a plot was underway to depose him and you and all your drunk friends would get rounded up and executed.

Paulus would manage to concoct such elaborate schemes that no amount of explaining would manage to clarify or put you in a good light. The stories and lies he told were in effect " a chain" around you.

Pretty sure Julian the Apostate had both of them executed the second he arrived in Constantinople after Constantius died.