Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

sullat posted:

Fuckin' Assyrians, nobody liked them anymore.

Speaking of Assyrians. I think I read in this thread that there was one empire universally hated so much that when they were finally conquered there was an attempt to wipe every trace of them off the face of the earth, was that the Assyrians?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Koramei posted:

It's legitimately the best history podcast. The dude even went and rerecorded all his early episodes so you don't have to suffer through the normal growing pains.

Just to be clear, this one? https://egyptianhistorypodcast.com/

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

Not really, and it also depends on what dialect you mean. To this day Spanish and Italian are somewhat mutually intelligible, for one example.

My grandfather was from Sicily and was able to chat with his neighbor from Spain. Always amazed me.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

I know, it's great.

I also have no idea what "annoying podcast voice" is supposed to mean.

Listening to the History of Byzantium now. I just reached the overview at 600(episode 42 or so) and he mentioned Peter Charanis’ story about how folks on the island of Lemnos still called themselves Romans. That led me to a rabbit hole which somehow ended with me landing here: http://www.romanity.org

um, yeah, great website

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Decius posted:

I'm not convinced that had much to do with the Romans. There are many, many cultures that have spirits - mischievous, evil and good - being everywhere. Seems a pretty basic concept for most peoples. The Arabic pre-Islamic religions (we still find a lot of this in the 1001 Nights stories), African religions, Chinese and Japanese all feature similar concepts. I know not much about old South Asian religions but I wouldn't be surprised if they had something similar.

Nature makes a lot of unexplained sounds and has a lot of difficulty do explain small phenomenons - a spirit/kobold/goblin/yokai makes for an easy explanation.

Icelandic people still take elves pretty seriously today. It’s a little crazy.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
More on Greenland Ice Cores telling us about Roman times. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/14/science/ice-core-lead-roman-empire.html

Though, I thought I read in this thread that there had already been analysis like this done and thats how we could tell about Roman mining in places like Spain.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Captain Oblivious posted:

So this is semi tangential but: I don’t suppose any of you know of any good history podcasts? Doesn’t need to be roman history, and I’m aware of drunk history, but my commute just got a lot longer and I figured this thread would probably know of something :v:

Some good suggestions were already made but I wanted to toss in The British History Podcast by Jamie Jeffers. He really does a great job at going deep with his analysis using not just the written record but archaeological sources as well. kTo put in context the depth he goes, he’s 270ish episodes in and just approaching the 11th Century with about 230 episodes covering the 5th-11th centuries.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

a_good_username posted:

What other History of Rome like podcasts are there? Finally finished my 70 hour journey through that archive. Planning to listen to Revolutions and the other “Rome from the fall to the fall of Constantinople” podcast, but could use other recommendations!

I always like to pitch The British History Podcast by Jamie Jeffers. He started 7 years ago and just hit mid 10th Century. He does a lot of culture analysis and makes it relevant to his telling of history.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

oystertoadfish posted:

there were a lot of bad byzantine emperors but the system just kept chugging along. i think the bureaucracy deserves more praise than it usually gets; it's generally only mentioned when they're the ones loving the empire over. i've heard they even invented the paper clip!, but i can't immediately find a source so maybe i made that up? similarly the anatolian aristocracy often did bad things (i think the Doukas family who betrayed Romanus IV and lost Anatolia itself were among their number, which is kind of an impressive self-own), but i suppose you have to give them credit for being the martial culture that held on for all those centuries

In addition to bureaucracy helping keep the republic moving along, I think there is merit to the idea that succession in the ERE had strong elements of republicanism to it. That helped(though not always) to keep things getting too radically different.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
For those looking for book recommendations, here's a list by a reporter who calls himself a "lapsed" historian(Ph.D. from Brown). His recommendations are very western centric but quite a few on his list overlap the recommendations I see here. Overall, looks worthwhile

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/joshs-epic-list-of-books

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Not to distract much from metal chat but this seems pretty amazing. I can't wait until more of this tech is used at other sites: http://www.sci-news.com/archaeology/falerii-novi-ground-penetrating-radar-survey-08513.html The lede:

quote:

The first high-resolution ground-penetrating radar survey of a complete ancient Roman town — Falerii Novi, in Lazio, Italy — has revealed previously unrecorded public buildings, such as a temple, a macellum or market building, a bath complex, and the ancient city’s network of water pipes.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Progress in deciphering Linear A : https://greekreporter.com/2021/05/13/minoan-language-linear-a-linked-to-linear-b-in-groundbreaking-new-research/

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Speaking of Sumerian. Thought this was a good thread: https://twitter.com/LinManuelRwanda/status/1505646738627088389

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Neat tour of the Great Pyramid: https://giza.mused.org/en/guided/266/inside-the-great-pyramid

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Bum the Sad posted:

No gently caress you
Ha!

I’m planning on being in Italy in April next year. Are there actual celebrations for this anniversary or is it just too obscure?

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
double post

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

French is a fuckin weird outlier. The other Romance languages are mutually intelligible to a great extent.

How un-latin like is Romanian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
I will be in southeast sicily near Syracuse for 4 weeks in May. What are some ruins I should visit? I will probably do a 1-3 day trip to Palermo but I figure most of my time will be in Central and Eastern Sicily.

My preference is off the beaten path type ruins but am happy to do popular tourist spots if the spot is a must see type of place.