Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

DarkCrawler posted:

Isn't it true that a SHITLOAD of Roman writings were lost? Like a vast majority of the stuff written during their era?

The statistic I've heard is that no more than 10,000 words of primary source Roman material have ever been discovered (although I would assume this doesn't cover the Byzantine era).

Of course, with Roman literacy being what it was, this is still a huge sight better than most of their contemporaries. Of the Celts that they displaced, there are basically no primary sources at all. If they had a written language, nothing of it survives, and all you have to go on are patchwork ideas from the archaeology and the accounts of Romans who brought armies to kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Are there any good recommendations for books on the brothel art and dick talismans from Pompeii and Herculaneum?

I may have accepted a cordial bet to provide hard evidence that Weird Sex Stuff dates back to antiquity and is not something I personally invented as a way to spoil otherwise nice evenings