Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gaius Marius posted:

What's wrong with slaughtering Germans?

oh to have a Varus gimmick account to reply with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

imagining the gaius marius of antiquity grumbling about that little poo poo sulla, then sulla doing the same grumbling about that little poo poo julius caesar

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Crab Dad posted:

Slinger dragoons who specialize in targeting horses.

Gunpowder being invented to spook cavalry is a funny idea

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tias posted:

where is this from?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tulip posted:

lol hell yeah, video-game rear end naming scheme

They didn't call it Big Ubaid though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cyrano4747 posted:

Neolithic peoples would have hunted the F-150.

hunting something with headlights sounds easy until it's not

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yep, it's filmed 100% straight like it's a nature documentary, but then they handed the voiceover work off to out-of-work GoT writers and the hammiest VO actors they could find.

Honestly I was expecting a campy reference to Lu Bu or something

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

could be shallots

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

skasion posted:

We can trace Samwise’s ancestry like five generations further back than Agrippa’s. Lol

on the other hand it isn't a hobbit's foot that got used as the model for the imperial measure

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I. M. Gei posted:

Someone in the SAL discussion thread told me this might be a good place to ask how to translate a simple phrase into Latin? Like ancient Roman Latin?

Who here knows Latin?

it probably means "I'm gonna skullfuck you"

the irrumabo quote

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

whoa

E: if you are wondering what it says, it seems to say "facefuck around, find out" but in, like, fridge-poetry syntax.

I think you'd want to start with something closer to "discover" than "investigate" for the "find out" and you'd definitely want to use something more like "recklessly" or "carelessly" when looking for the "around" bit.

Something like "facefuck recklessly, and discover" is what might sound a little better when translated but I'm not a Roman.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 2, 2023

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

maybe it's March 15th

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think that if a meme needs historically exact grammar that's probably trying too hard

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zoux posted:

Even the Romans detested child pawn.

post hock, ergo

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mighty Eris posted:

What if the Roman Legions had powerpoint.

What if Cicero had powerpoint

what if augustus had youtube

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AUGUSTUBE #38 Kids These Days (again!) UPDATE: sent my daughter into exile

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If Ea-Nasir skipped town in the middle of the night would *you* move into his house?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"Romans were racist like this but The French are racist like thiiiiiissss"

"A person being considered suspicious because of their skin color" hasn't changed, they just started using guns.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WoodrowSkillson posted:

colonial and now modern racism are significantly more insidious than "those people look different." chattel slavery required an entire rework of european morality in order to square the circle of prior treatment of slaves and other cultures and the outright horrors and atrocities they were now committing daily to the native americans and africans. that's why the entire concept of being "white " was invented.

This seems to be framing a spontaneous moment where Europe Invented Whiteness And Went Racist, which that entire rework of morality was needed to justify. Was there anything, say, technology-wise, which would have logistically facilitated or necessitated a shift from prior client-state models of colonialism to the modern eliminationist and racist versions?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Don't be cute and say what you want to say I'm not going to play whatever game this is.

I'm not being cute and couldn't if I tried, and no game is being played. You seemed to be carving a very unique narrative through history there and I wanted to know your thoughts on the role of industry or technology (or even mass literacy) on the whole process, since I don't want to go off assuming I know exactly what you meant by chattel slavery.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I'm at work writing this between emails and poo poo so excuse any inconsistencies or whatever.

I would say the relevant technology is the development of the techniques needed to be capable of oceanic navigation and the discovery of the new world. I am not espousing some unique argument here and the idea that the slavery practiced in the new world is linked to the creation of the concept of race is not something I am coming up with and there are a bunch of books and academic work on the topic.

Chattel slavery as practiced in the new world was unique from the prior types practiced in that it was race based, was heritable, and freed slaves were not full citizens. Slaves had no rights whatsoever and families were routinely broken up with children being sold off. Freed slaves were second class citizens at best and could at most hope for a position of some wealth in an area less hostile to them. That persisted after slavery via Jim Crow.

A Roman slave was indeed property aka chattel, but it was not linked to any "race" of people, and freed slaves were citizens (denied the right to hold office) and freedmen children were 100% normal Roman citizens. Roman slaves could also earn money and work to buy their freedom, similar to indentured servitude. There were also various customs and social mores wherein slaveowners would give slaves manumission after 10, 15, 30 years or whatever. By the 1400s, Roman style slavery had been mostly a thing of the past for a long time with serfdom being the primary form of forced labor. Serfdom is essentially slavery but a serf's direct link to the land is significantly different and again was not based on ethnicity. A serf's family would stay together and landowners were not selling serf children to one another, barring exceptions im not aware of being its a practice that existed for a thousand years.

In the New World the slaves being used were first Native Americans (worked to death or killed via disease) and then Africans that were being treated in a wholly unique and horrific manner. that is a large part of what led to the creation of the concept of race as a way of excusing those atrocities. That concept takes off as feudalism finishes dying in the 1600s and the slave trade truly gets going. By the 1700s there is a fully formed concept that africans and native americans are inferior, whites are a different and superior race, etc etc all of the lovely nonsense we still deal with.

Yeah that's more clear, I had the impression that you'd wanted to kind of string what's basically xenophobia and some forms of slavery in the ancient world as a sort of prototype on the basis that they had some components in separate places, as we'd define them from today.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 3, 2024

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

euphronius posted:

Why would anyone expect to understand god .

vain attempt to convince themselves such a being would in turn understand them

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zoux posted:

Can we slapfight if we do it as a phalanx

Hoplite shields were designed to free up the hand and arm for maximum power when slapping

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cheetah7071 posted:

I haven't watched stargate but I hope the tetrahedron aliens won. Tetrahedrons are far superior to square pyramids

not for the Egyptian end user

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

commodus with an obnoxious peroxide job

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nero looks like someone getting a breakout villain role in an A24 film

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Orbs posted:

The whole dark ages/renaissance/early modern/modern terminology sequence is pure propaganda, convincing people that society inevitably progresses forward (forward toward the current status quo of course).

hey let's hear more about what your idea of progress looks like

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Orbs posted:

*looks at current world* Not like this? lol

Oh come now, not even a little bit of detail on what you're arguing against here?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

did charon's boat have a name in greek and was it mister rowboato

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://twitter.com/etnaboris/status/1776285207823323215

did literate people of the past ever catalogue their omens in detail, i.e. "if the volcano is blowing smoke rings, plant more grain" type stuff?