Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

What is the most egregious error on the page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Rome ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

If you've not read about the Battle of Alesia, that is the place to start on how terrifyingly effective Roman siegecraft could be. Having all your soldiers trained in basic construction and engineering gave legions an edge that is hard to adequately describe.

I don't know what you mean. What exactly would regular soldiers engineer and build?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

You've talked about Rome and its influence on the modern world. What about Italy specifically?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

physeter posted:

This is entirely true. The best guideline I can offer to understanding Roman cognomens like "Caesar" and "Magnus" is to watch the scene from Goodfellas where they pan through the club and name all the gangsters. Roman noble names were literally their equivalent of "Jimmy Two Times" and "Joey Bag o Donuts". Caesar means "hairy" and they were all pre-maturely bald. Pompey Magnus (meaning "The Great") had that name because when he was an obnoxious 16 year old general, Sulla would see him coming and mutter "oh look here comes Pompey Magnus". Cool-sounding names typically translate into something like cross-eyed, clubfooted, big nosed, etc etc.

Oh God... please give me more gangster name translations of ancient Romans

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Nenonen posted:

Latin is a dead language because humanists killed it. The original vulgar Latin mixed into other local languages and languages of the invaders, eg. Spanish was influenced by Iberian languages and Arabic. The only living branch of vulgar Latin survived in Catholic monasteries spoken by monks, until during the Renaissance humanists made it seem like a retardation of classical Latin.

I don't follow this post. What does humanist mean in this context? I assumed that latin was dead because all languages that old have transformed into another language or other languages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

CrypticFox posted:

the verb for "to give" (or something similar) can identified based on it being repeatedly constantly in these offering bowls.

What is it?