Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Between this and the Bonaparte movie I’m just glad to see them making big historical epic type movies again, even they end up sucking. At least it’s not Marvel 37.

Agreed totally though based off the trailers the Napoleon movie looks like it's gonna be real bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Someone dig up Kubrick's dusty old bones and tell him to make that loving Napoleon epic he obsessed over for literal decades

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I genuinely don't understand the appeal of napoleon as a topic for English language audiences. Don't we have enough lionization of dictators already?

Maybe I've spent too many years reading Sharpe and Aubrey / Maturin.

Like making a Cobra Commander movie

I don't know about the actual English but "middle class person bootstrapping their way to power and glory" is the American Wet Dream

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Napoleon probably. He seems to have that scrappy little guy psycho energy.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

zoux posted:

I've had a factoid floating around in my head for decades, that Romanian is actually the closest modern language to Roman Latin. Is that remotely true?

I've read it's actually Sardinian, though I do not know enough to verify that.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

E: also I would pay irresponsible amounts for the Authentic Roman Bathhouse Experience. Oil me up, Decimus

Is there any cultural lineage to Roman bathing traditions and Turkish ones? Obviously treating bathing lavishly isn't something unique the Romans came up with, but I imagine nomadic Turks probably weren't building stone hammams on the Eurasian steppe. I can't recall ever reading about Byzantine bathing traditions, did the East maintain them after their decline in the West for the Turks to adopt?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

See This God Get CANCELLED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vdPVCNNbkc

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Restore the Republic with this one weird trick. Would-be kings hate it!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Zopotantor posted:

Didn't the previous title of this very thread reference that particular law? It lasted a long time.

As the author of that thread title, I had forgotten it was a cross-up of that Hittite law and one of Ashoka's edicts. I just remembered the edict part.

Man, that title lasted 17 months.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

I think they are just framing it wrong. I can assure you I feel much more hatred towards the loving worthless Iowegians infesting my roads than anyone of differing color of skin or creed.

*Googles 'Iowegian,' reads first Urban Dictionary entry*

lol

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

wait what? people believe the latter?

It's usually what's taught in American public schools. Sparta were the militarist bad guys, Athens invented democracy. No discussion about the fact that the only ones who could vote were free males, making up what, 20-30% of the population or so?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I was aware that the later Empire (4th-5th c.) was more xenophoic than earlier. Is there any literature or discussion about why that may have happened?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Nessus posted:

Except I gather the collapse was so slow moving that unless you personally got pillaged it looked like 'well, when I was a young man we sent the taxes to Rome, but now we send it to the nearby governor, and I guess the baths are getting pretty beat-up.'

I few years ago I read a book about Merovingian France, and the author included an anecdote about a landowner in the Rhone Valley in the 6th century who was utterly incredulous when told there was no Western Emperor on the throne, illustrating 1) how ineffectual the Western Roman state had become in its later years (didn't even notice when it was gone) and 2) the socioeconomic isolation of late antiquity/the early middle ages; dude was 75ish years behind the news

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

However it relates specifically to this conversation, there's also the knowledge that the Old Testament, particularly the first five books, are oral traditions dating back several centuries by the time they were codified, circa 500 BCE. I'm under the impression that's also partially to blame for the obvious references to a universe where there are in fact more than one God in some parts of the OT, hearkening back to already-old traditions that have changed somewhat by the time Genesis et al. were written.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Stop saying peeps it makes you sound like a freak.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why do you write like an imbecile?

Why do you post like an rear end in a top hat? Makes you look like a freak.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

soviet elsa posted:

I like the ones who look exactly as you would picture them. Hello Nero.

The neckbeard emperor

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Elissimpark posted:

Coming from an arts background, I found the term a bit confusing too. Modern is very much late 1800's to mid 1900's. 1600s being Early Modern in that context is eyebrow raising.

I propose we bring historical periods in line with artistic style terms and periods. Which means we can get on with more important things, like arguing whether the 30 years war is late Mannerist or Baroque.

I believe Peter Brown coining "late antiquity" as a (sub)periodization was at least partially inspired by art historians, who had started writing about the changes in Roman aesthetics from the 2nd century to the 4th and 5th.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Safety Biscuits posted:

And Norse were good at democracy.

That was their Thing.

:golfclap:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

To be clear, this would have been written long enough after Plato's death that it's historical accuracy is questionable.

It's still valuable as literature, though. And if nothing else it's really drat exciting to get access to previously-lost ancient texts.