Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This could be accounted for if these groups lived in the Second Age, before the Numenorians chose to defy Eru Iluvatar and seek out the lands of the undying to the west.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What about the moon, was that broadly recognized as a sphere or a disc

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

You'd have to be gob smashing stupid to not realize the phases of the moon are sunlight projected on a spherical object

People thought a dragon was eating the sun during eclipses

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Birds are dinosaurs you know

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can we slapfight if we do it as a phalanx

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

War of the Roses is early modern?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Then we get to the Modern Period and It's all about how "before us were the Dark Ages and everyone in the past was stupid and barbaric." We still have this mindset, hence the entire expression of "go medieval on someone's rear end," basically saying to be medieval is savage in some special way we are not.

I think that's more about Quentin Tarantino

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

History is half war and half grain tallies

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Those hats were purchased with grain money

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'll let Mehmet II know.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Orbs posted:

Heck yeah. Love to never confuse favourable signs with unfavourable ones, like those fool diviners do

*Eagle flying north shot out of the sky by skilled bowshot, also has my exact face*
*turns to harsupex* Is that bad

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Once again I see people raising questions about my legitimacy that are answered by my name.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

*cereal eating meme guy* These helmetless, curiassless Germans could NEVER defeat two legions marching in order through a forest.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Have you guys watched Barbarians (the German produced series about all that business where the Romans speak actual latin) and if so, what did you think

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tulip posted:

Semi related Deveraux got around to talking about the record of the Macedonian phalanx and, to my relief, was unspairing about the myth that Macedonian and Greek phalanxes fall apart if they see a rock, which always seemed like an insane part of video game logic to me that the Greek fighting style would only work on extremely level, flat plains. Y'know, those wide expanses of level fields in Greece.

I had always heard that the phalanx didn't work on open ground, that you needed the rocky terrain to guard your flanks

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

I always hated the mirror match.

Especially blue phalanx vs. blue phalanx.

I'm reading a fantasy novel series and a guy sees a bunch of army ants and invents the shield wall. This is in a society roughly at an early middle ages level of tech. Prior to this the battles were described as a whole bunch of dudes charge at each other and basically pairing off into a series of hundreds of 1v1 duels. It's also got back scabbards and poo poo so I'm not holding it up as some historically accurate example, but that sticks out to me as weird. My assumption is that organized tactics would be invented almost immediately after you had groups of 30+ dudes fighting each other, is that true? Or was there a period in which polities dominated their rivals because only they figured out "arranging guys in a line is better"?

Also why the goddamn back scabbards all the time, I get that it looks cool in movies and TV but you can't see it on the page and it's a big flashing Watch Out For Other Bullshit flag whenever it shows up

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This guy (who sucks and is probably a groyper) made one that works and it does not look cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZq8BCum7DA

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Really it should be called the Peloponnesian Empire

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What were they getting after that deep into North Africa? What was the state of the sahara 200 years ago

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's kind of weird that more than half of the world's population worship the same god (even if the adherents disagree they do). Is there any scholarship on why the deity from a group of levantine Iron Age tribesman became the god of the majority of humans alive on the planet earth several thousand years later? Is this just a byproduct of monotheism vs polytheism? Other than Zoroastrianism, were there other monotheistic non-Abrahamic religions?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You don't think that Muslims, Jews, and Christians worship the god of Abraham?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

evilweasel posted:

it's pretty key that both Christianity and Islam are religions that place a very large value on converting unbelievers,

Are they the only two evangelical religions?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

I understand and have in mind history but I’m mostly talking about how Christianity is practiced now in the various churches and tents across the world. No one is talking about the Holy Spirit (except maybe as mentioned those learned doctors of divinity)

As someone who grew up evangelical, you don't know what you're talking about. Pentecostalism is the fastest growing denomination in the world and they center the Holy Spirit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nessus posted:

I think the big difference was the missionary impulse. A little witnessing goes a long way. As does having your western outlying territories colonize and expropriate several large continents

The structure of mono- vs. polytheism would point to it, if you're part of a polytheistic tradition, and those guys over there say they worship a different god, your worldview allows for that. If you believe in one and only one God, well, those guys are worshipping demons. I just think it's weird that you don't have competing non-Abrahamic monotheistic religions, you don't see a lot of other monotheistic religions through history, period. I guess the memetic strength of the Abrahamic religions are just that strong.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Personally I blame Constantine

He saw the sign, and it opened up his eyes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I guess my question is "since monotheism is so successful as a religion, it's odd that it only got invented one time" but I suppose if there were other monotheistic religions the Abrahamic derived ones would look less impressive.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What percentage of, say, the 30 YW was religious and how much was because the HRE was hosed

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

skasion posted:

Augustus sent his prefect of Egypt Aelius Gallus in that direction. I don’t think it worked out though.

Probably for the best, can you imagine the Romans with coffee

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When did we start naming ships

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What kind of things were Phoenician snail traders calling their vessels?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Around the 90's. It started with x-files fans.

Oh wait this isn't the romance history thread

Also you're factually wrong, it started in the 60s

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Probably the same types of things people named their ships today just like people named their pet dogs similar things back then compared to now.

So, mostly puns

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I see my stele is raising a lot of questions answered by my stele

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jazerus posted:

thread title

Current one is sublime

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wonder who Servius Tullius thought Christ was

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I saw this from Tacitus linked in a discussion about deflation

quote:

Hence followed a scarcity of money, a great shock being given to all credit, the current coin too, in consequence of the conviction of so many persons and the sale of their property, being locked up in the imperial treasury or the public exchequer. To meet this, the Senate had directed that every creditor should have two-thirds of his capital secured on estates in Italy. Creditors however were suing for payment in full, and it was not respectable for persons when sued to break faith. So, at first, there were clamorous meetings and importunate entreaties; then noisy applications to the prætor's court. And the very device intended as a remedy, the sale and purchase of estates, proved the contrary, as the usurers had hoarded up all their money for buying land. The facilities for selling were followed by a fall of prices, and the deeper a man was in debt, the more reluctantly did he part with his property, and many were utterly ruined. The destruction of private wealth precipitated the fall of rank and reputation, till at last the emperor interposed his aid by distributing throughout the banks a hundred million sesterces, and allowing freedom to borrow without interest for three years, provided the borrower gave security to the State in land to double the amount. Credit was thus restored, and gradually private lenders were found. The purchase too of estates was not carried out according to the letter of the Senate's decree, rigour at the outset, as usual with such matters, becoming negligence in the end.

How did credit and banking work in first century Rome? Unfortunately there is a famous pop star named Roman Banks so my googling is confounded.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The only change we need is to make the names of the centuries match with the first two numbers of the years of those centuries. the "first century" can be the Zeroeth Century.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Angry Salami posted:

Gotta respect the first guy who was willing to go up to a king and try and convince him "So, you're not getting your favorite advisers and courtesans in the afterlife like your father did - but we whipped up mannequins that are just as good! They come to life in the afterlife, trust me."

Qin Shi Huang: "well if that's the case there better be a goddamn million of em"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sorry, I'm still hung up on the Forum Boarium, this is why you have to say things outloud before you name them