Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MillionsV
Jun 11, 2010
Shut the gently caress up about Scott Pilgrim you goddamn nerds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SWNomad
Jun 28, 2008
In Scott Pilgrim, the 11 in Kanji are pushed together to be the character for 'rock.'

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

MillionsV posted:

Shut the gently caress up about Scott Pilgrim you goddamn nerds!

NEVER

In Scott's second run at defeating Gideon Graves, you can just hear Michael Comeau say "The film is good, but the books are better".

Mr Pilkington
Feb 24, 2011
I recently watched Adaptation again, a subtle moment I love is the scene at the beginning where Charlie is in a meeting about the screenplay. He tells her that he doesn't want to make it about a orchid heist with car chases, drugs and a love interest. Which of course turns out to be exactly what the movie ends with.

It's something you can only notice on a second viewing, such a great movie.

The Slip
Dec 27, 2009

Mr Pilkington posted:

I recently watched Adaptation again, a subtle moment I love is the scene at the beginning where Charlie is in a meeting about the screenplay. He tells her that he doesn't want to make it about a orchid heist with car chases, drugs and a love interest. Which of course turns out to be exactly what the movie ends with.

It's something you can only notice on a second viewing, such a great movie.

Not to sound like a total jerk, but I...totally picked up on that on my first and only viewing. In fact, I thought that was kind of the major theme of the film as a whole. Still, though, fantastic movie. I've fallen in love with just about everything Charlie Kaufman has worked on.

For content: Brick, one of my favorite movies of all time, has a ton of subtle callbacks to classic film noir. For instance, there's a scene where Brendan tells Laura to honk the horn of her car as a signal to him. He tells her to honk long, short, long, short. This is the same signal Spade tells Brigid to use with a doorbell in The Maltese Falcon.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing
It's a rather common occurrence in movies for two characters to be in a car, one driving, the other a passenger. Often, these two characters will have an engaging conversation while facing one another (and the driver, of course, is not paying attention to the road). The scene almost always ends without a hitch.

I noticed a very small detail when watching Thor Early on in the movie, Natalie Portman's character is driving through the desert with (I believe) Stellan Skarsgard's character beside her and Kat Denning in the backseat. Portman is discussing something with Stellan's character and briefly turns to face him for a fraction of a second, when she immediately drifts off the road and almost loses control.

I thought that was a nice subversion of an all-too-common cliche.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

The Slip posted:

I've fallen in love with just about everything Charlie Kaufman has worked on.

I'm a big fan of his brother's work, too. Real talented family.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

KnifeWrench posted:

I'm a big fan of his brother's work, too. Real talented family.

Y'know, for a little while, IMDB had an official listing for 'The 3', written by Donald.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.

NGL posted:

It's a rather common occurrence in movies for two characters to be in a car, one driving, the other a passenger. Often, these two characters will have an engaging conversation while facing one another (and the driver, of course, is not paying attention to the road). The scene almost always ends without a hitch.

There's a scene like this in The Incredibles with Helen driving and talking to Dash. She keeps glancing at him but mainly keeps her eyes on the road.

I've always liked the moment in Dogma right after Jay shoots Bartleby's wings off and this look passes over Ben Affleck's face that mixes the satisfaction of his plan coming together with sadness over not being an angel anymore. It's brief but I thought it was a nice bit of subtle acting.

Then, of course, he goes into his big, over the top supervillain laugh.

Mr Pilkington
Feb 24, 2011

The Slip posted:

Not to sound like a total jerk, but I...totally picked up on that on my first and only viewing. In fact, I thought that was kind of the major theme of the film as a whole. Still, though, fantastic movie. I've fallen in love with just about everything Charlie Kaufman has worked on.

For content: Brick, one of my favorite movies of all time, has a ton of subtle callbacks to classic film noir. For instance, there's a scene where Brendan tells Laura to honk the horn of her car as a signal to him. He tells her to honk long, short, long, short. This is the same signal Spade tells Brigid to use with a doorbell in The Maltese Falcon.

I agree, I guess I didn't notice it the first time because I saw it on late night tv and didn't really know anything about it going in.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Rabbit Hill posted:

In Ghost Dog, there's a moment when Forrest Whitaker walks down a populated city street. As he passes each person, they coincidentally happen to turn away from him or get distracted by something else, so not one person sees him walk by. He is effectively invisible.

Just wanted to say thanks for reminding me to watch this movie again. I was wrong about the cartoons; they aren't just depictions of the killings. They also cover more general themes. Really a cool element to rewatch for.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This guy's site has some really cool insights into The Shining including a lot of the weird spacial things and much much more. He occasionally seems to be reaching to far to find meaning, but then again with Kubrick it's hard to be sure that that's the case.

One of my favorite things he points out is this:
"During the conversation with Halloran Danny asks “Mr Halloran, are you scared of this place?”, and immediately we cut to our first wide shot of their conversation, which shows a set of knives in the background pointing directly at Danny’s head – a hint of the murderous danger that awaits the family."

Rabbit Hill posted:

In Ghost Dog, there's a moment when Forrest Whitaker walks down a populated city street. As he passes each person, they coincidentally happen to turn away from him or get distracted by something else, so not one person sees him walk by. He is effectively invisible.
That's amazing. I just recently re-watched this movie and I didn't notice that at all. On my recent viewing I also caught something that completely escaped me back when I saw it in the theaters ages ago: the scene where Louie saves Ghost Dog's life is shown in a slightly different fashion each time that a character mentions it. Which is a huge, obvious nod to Rashomon, I guess I might have noticed the differences, but I had only the vaguest idea of what it was about so the fact that it was such an obvious homage completely escaped me. The book is even explicitly mentioned in the film, it's the one Ghost Dog lends to the girl to read.

a kitten has a new favorite as of 08:08 on Jun 2, 2012

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

a kitten posted:

This guy's site has some really cool insights into The Shining including a lot of the weird spacial things and much much more. He occasionally seems to be reaching to far to find meaning, but then again with Kubrick it's hard to be sure that that's the case.

I read all twenty-plus chapters of his Clockwork Orange analysis. The first half was a mixture of meticulous attentiveness and slight over-reaching. The second half was crazy.

He's an extremely perceptive person. And functionally manic/schizo. From my reading, anyway.

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006
In the Prestige, there's a part where Angier kidnaps Borden's mute assistant/friend Fallon, and ransoms him in exchange for Borden's diary. (which reveals some of Borden's stage secrets, for which Angier was coveting for most of the film) As an added dick move, Angier reveals he buried Fallon alive and leaves Borden to frantically dig him up.

Later Borden shows looking incredibly exasperated and drained, and says something like "Do you have any idea what its like to be buried alive?". The comment seems a bit odd coming from him, but just you assume his venting out frustrations on Fallon's behalf.

The scene takes on a new light if you saw the twist ending: The Borden who made that comment was the one that had been buried alive.

itrorev has a new favorite as of 18:42 on Jun 2, 2012

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I've always loved some little scenes in "Lord of the Rings". The one where the first Uruk-hai are lined up for inspection? A little orc goes by each one, eyes narrowing apprasingly as he looks for flaws. You know he's saying, "Hmm, well, I guess you'll do."

Later, when Saruman is fingering is sparkly new black powder, Wormtongue comes trotting up with a torch--only to be silently stopped and turned back.

Finally, while the camera is panning over the Black gates, we see a couple of orc guards standing there, talking. I've always wondered what they were talking about, except you know it isn't work.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

In Blade Runner, one of the giant video billboards is a beautiful woman swallowing a pill. There's no text as I remember, but the other billboards you see are for Coke and the offworld colonies. Just an interesting bit of barely-noticeable world building.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Early in Enchanted, Robert is visibly annoyed by Giselle's cartoonish antics, especially her tendency to sing on the spot. He even mentions that he doesn't sing at all.

You can barely hear it, but in the middle of "So Close" When they're dancing and falling in love, Robert is quietly and inexpertly singing along to the song, learning how to be in a musical.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

BonesJackson posted:

Synecdoche New York is full of these small details. I've seen the movie at least three or four times and on each viewing I discover something new. Just a handful I can remember off the top of my head (spoiler tagged, just to be safe):

There's also clues, though it's never explicitly mentioned, that the movie takes place in the aftermath of a violent global cataclysm. It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I remember that there's a scene where Caden mentions the world's population and it's really low, like in the millions. There's also the tanks that are driving through the roads, suggesting some kind of martial law. There are a few others, but I can't recall them.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I thought it was a nice touch in 30 Minutes or Les that

When he finally took the bomb vest off, his shirt was drenched in sweat.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 13:17 on Jun 4, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

In Limitless Eddie outlines his book to two redneck looking fellas near the start. He says 'It's masquerading as a sci-fi novel but I see it as my manifesto about the difficulties of being in the 21st Century. Which is a fairly accurate reading of the movie itself.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

In the first two Addams Family movies, Morticia's face is never fully illuminated, but is always in shadow with only her eyes lit up. This is always the case, even in group shots where everyone else is fully lit.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

mr. stefan posted:

In the first two Addams Family movies, Morticia's face is never fully illuminated, but is always in shadow with only her eyes lit up. This is always the case, even in group shots where everyone else is fully lit.

The only two :colbert:
Also, are you positive about this? I know it's very frequent but I have images of her in my head with a fully lit face. Then again it has been years.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

The only two :colbert:
Also, are you positive about this? I know it's very frequent but I have images of her in my head with a fully lit face. Then again it has been years.

No, he's right, they specifically lit Morticia's eyes separately from everyone else, to give her more mystique.

It's even on IMDB (well, in the Addams Family Values entry, though it applies to both films)

"Adding more than just make up to the character, Morticia Addams is always lit separate from everyone else in a scene. Her lighting always consists of one beam of light across her eyes that gradually fades outward to add to her grim look"

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
This is bordering on trivia, but David Lynch has an obsession with Lincoln, which carried over a lot into "Blue Velvet". Frank Booth shares his last name with John Wilkes Booth, and Kyle McLaughlin is warned not to go onto Lincoln street. Lynch's fascination first reared it's head in the TV version of "Dune". Lynch took an 'Alan Smithee' credit for director, and the writer is listed as 'Judas Booth'.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

There's a funny scene in Addams Family Values, I think in the scene with Nathan Lane, where the slit lighting is set up in the wrong place and she adjusts her position so it's around her eyes.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

mr. stefan posted:

I'm gonna look for that next time I watch it. It's been awhile but I don't think that applies in the first movie, or at least not in all scenes.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Something I really love about A Clockwork Orange, movie and book, is that Alex never uses common figures of speech until after he is "cured". The use of language in the film is a really involved way it conveys someone's status in the movie's structure of the powerful and the abused.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's a callback to the pin lighting they used in Dracula.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Alright, so it's not a movie, but I'm watching Band of Brothers again, and I just noticed something for the first time that I hadn't seen before. In the second episode as the planes are getting shot at, one gets hit and goes down in flames. What I noticed was that you could see a few burning paratroopers try and exit the plane before it hit.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
In Terminator: Salvation, Connor sets up a portable stereo playing "You Could Be Mine" by Guns N Roses to trap and re-purpose a motorbike terminator to use in a final assault on skynet.

This was the same song he was listening to in the second film, while riding his motorbike, shortly before he first met the terminator.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Atticus Bongman posted:

Club Dread's legendary machete-wielding psycho, Phil Coletti, is known as Machete Phil.

From the first page - is this just because he should have been called "Machete Coletti"?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Whipstickagostop posted:

In Terminator: Salvation, Connor sets up a portable stereo playing "You Could Be Mine" by Guns N Roses to trap and re-purpose a motorbike terminator to use in a final assault on skynet.

This was the same song he was listening to in the second film, while riding his motorbike, shortly before he first met the terminator.

Don't know if this has been mentioned here yet, and even if it's all that subtle, but Arnie's gun was concealed in a box of roses.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Don't know if this has been mentioned here yet, and even if it's all that subtle, but Arnie's gun was concealed in a box of roses.

Because of both Terminator 2 and Silence of the Lambs, I no longer trust anyone delivering a box of long-stem roses...the box will invariably contain a shotgun.

Invariably.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phy posted:

From the first page - is this just because he should have been called "Machete Coletti"?

Not about a movie, but this reminds me of something that always vaguely bothered me in the Beatles' song Lovely Rita:

quote:

In a cap, she looked much older,
And the bag across her shoulder
Made her look a little like a military man.

The obvious rhyme for that third line seems like it would be "soldier". Always wondered if that was intentional.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
In the first Men in Black, when K and J go to the farmers house to investigate the alien crash, the farmer's wife offers them lemonade. In the next scene J takes a sip of the lemonade and immediately spits it back out. This is because she has no sugar, as she gave it all in a glass of water to the giant cockroach wearing her husbands skin.

Captain Finance
Aug 21, 2005
From Monsters, Inc:

The seats in Sully and Mike's house have tail-holes in the back.
When Randall bumps into Sully in the hall, he takes on his colors for about 1 second before shaking them out. I saw the movie about 20 times before I noticed it - always distracted by the collision itself.

And most everything in their world - hallways, TV screens, is M-shaped.

From Charlie and the Chocolate Factory:

Mike Teevee's mother responds to the song on the musical lock with a knowing "Rachmaninoff". But she's an idiot: it's obviously Mozart (Marriage of Figaro).

Always good to check Hitchcock for this stuff, too. Like the Lobster tie Bruno is wearing in "Strangers on a Train", which signals his abilities not only to grab (ensnare) people in his plot, but how he plans to use his hands later (to strangle them)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Khazar-khum posted:

I've always loved some little scenes in "Lord of the Rings".

The LotR trilogy was absolutely loaded with subtleties, in-jokes and obscure references. The imdb trivia pages list a bunch of them:

imdb posted:

Hobbiton was made a year before production began to make it look like it was a natural, lived-in place, complete with real vegetable patches. The greens department regulated the length of the grass by having sheep eat it.

During the Council of Elrond, leaves are continually falling in the background to suggest that this is a meeting that is taking place outside. This meant about half a dozen crew members were positioned above the set, dropping leaves at various intervals. This also meant that the production department had to collect sacks and sacks of leaves during autumn, and of course dead leaves turn brown fairly quickly. Which also meant that every single one of those leaves had to be individually painted.

For high-tech tasks, a computer program called MASSIVE made armies of CG orcs, elves, and humans. These digital creations could 'think' and battle independently - identifying friend or foe - thanks to individual fields of vision. Peter Jackson's team could click on one creature in a crowd scene of 20,000 and see through his "eyes". Different species even boast unique fighting styles.

The Orc blacksmiths shown beneath Isengard are actually the WETA Workshop staff who made the weapons used in the film.

The portraits hanging above the fireplace in Bag End are based on the likenesses of director Peter Jackson and producer Fran Walsh.

One of the indistinct words that Gandalf whispers to the moth when he is trapped by Saruman is "Gwaihir", the name of the eagle that later rescues him from the tower.

The different colors of blue for the elves' eyes revealed what race they were. The Lothlorien elves had light blue eyes, and the Rivendell elves were dark blue.

Production designer Grant Major personally supervised the translation of all the writings in Balin's tomb into Dwarvish. He was then horrified to learn that a visiting J.R.R. Tolkien scholar had taken great offence at seeing the phrase "Joe was here" among the writings. They scoured the contents of Balin's tomb and found nothing, only to learn that the scholar - who was overly serious about everything to do with Tolkien - had been told this by a crew carpenter who has having a joke at his expense. Intrepid fans later published screen captures and translations of Moria wall segments where the runes spelled "John was here" and "Made in New Zealand". During pre-production, Weta artists asked Tolkien expert Michael Martinez if there were any examples of Orc graffiti in the book. Martinez found one citation (in the scene where Frodo, Sam, and Gollum see a defaced statue in Gondor). He used other passages to argue that the Orcs would have used runes to carve graffiti on Moria's walls.

Romes128 posted:

I read somewhere that everything on Iron Mans HUD makes sense, and isn't just tech stuff to make it look complicated and cool. Someone from the Air Force helped design the layout for it. Pretty awesome stuff considering we only get to see it backwards and almost transparent. There are also different HUDs for each suit he wears.

Here's a close look at a whole bunch of them, plus the Helicarrier screen displays.

Goddrat they put a lot of work into stuff that most people would assume was just random lorem ipsum gibberish.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 19:30 on Jun 6, 2012

Tombstone.
Aug 9, 2010

Captain Finance posted:

From Charlie and the Chocolate Factory:

Mike Teevee's mother responds to the song on the musical lock with a knowing "Rachmaninoff". But she's an idiot: it's obviously Mozart (Marriage of Figaro).
I saw the movie when I was little, before I ever heard "Marriage of Figaro." I grew up thinking that the piece of music was written by Rachmaninoff. Even after I learned that it was written by Mozart, this confused the hell out of me until they aired a trivia segment on AMC during the movie, saying that the writer of the movie noted that the gag went over almost everyone's head.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Tombstone. posted:

I saw the movie when I was little, before I ever heard "Marriage of Figaro." I grew up thinking that the piece of music was written by Rachmaninoff. Even after I learned that it was written by Mozart, this confused the hell out of me until they aired a trivia segment on AMC during the movie, saying that the writer of the movie noted that the gag went over almost everyone's head.

I think it's early enough in the movie that her idiocy hasn't yet been fully established. I remember having a suspicion about her being wrong on subsequent viewings (not that I knew the right answer or had any desire to find out), but it sailed right over me the first time, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
Another Ghostbusters one that took me until a few days ago to really get. When the police drop the possessed Rick Moranis off at the GB building, Janine asks the officer "Dropping off or picking up?" I always thought she was asking if they were there to pick up some other loony that Egon was interviewing/studying. But no, she was clearly referring to her employers who treated her like garbage for the entire film. She was aware of the numerous barely legal activities going on with the Ghostbusters, so she wouldn't be surprised if the police were going to arrest Venkman or Egon.

I am so numb, I couldn't look at myself in the mirror for the rest of the day after figuring that out. Thanks to everyone from the GB thread in CineD for helping me analyze the jokes in that film differently.