Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

Now I am actually really fascinated to see how they will fit it into Brave

Well that's easy. The Pastry Plane wagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

Now I am actually really fascinated to see how they will fit it into Brave

Same way Sam Raimi fit the Delta 88 into The Quick and the Dead.

Make it a wagon

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006
The film Push wasn't amazing by any means, but was pretty passable as a superhero-ish movie. One minor detail I did like is that, aside from the two leads, none of the other psychics you see are exceptionally good-looking. No Hugh Jackmans, Robert Downey Jr's, or Wesley Snipes. Even Chris Evan's good looks are toned-down. (and this was before he got his greek-god Captain America physique)

Another nice perk was that the older psychics were generally the most powerful in their class. (the strongest Watcher was middle aged and constantly drugged-up, and the strongest Shadow was a tiny shriveled old asian woman) The sole exception was the female lead, who was 20-something and the best Pusher, but was only after getting a psychic-steroid.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
On the Pixar train, I just saw the beginning of Ratatouille, and during the part where Remy is running through Parisian houses before finding Gusteau's, he runs through a house where a dog barks at him, and looking at the shadow I'd say it's Doug, the dog from Up. Didn't confirm this anywhere but it looked an awful lot like him.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Heres Hank posted:

I dunno, man, for fruit-literate people, that's really not very subtle at all (but then neither is Dexter from 3rd season on).

As long as we're mentioning not-so-subtle blood oranges from the Dexter intro, the entire segment is (not-so-subtle) murder/blood imagery: Murdering the mosquito, dragging a razor across skin and drawing blood, slicing ham and eggs, pushing down a french press plunger and seeing little bubbles rise (drowning), ~blood orange~, preparing to floss and tying shoes (strangulation), putting on shirt (smothering/cadaver sheet).

Then they show him retracting his key from his door lock. He's keeping his violent side locked up I guess?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The opening credits for Dexter are the best ever made. The music, I think, is even more expressive than the visuals. It's basically a metaphor for his entire life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lHcn0YvBp0
Listen when he slaps the fly, there's a whining sound. It intrudes a little and then fades away as the melody starts. Later it comes back, but with the brass section as well, and is suppressed once again. Then it rises again, louder, straining against the structure of the music until finally it breaks, and the melody spirals downward until it hits the bottom and loops back up to start it all over.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

On the Pixar train, I just saw the beginning of Ratatouille, and during the part where Remy is running through Parisian houses before finding Gusteau's, he runs through a house where a dog barks at him, and looking at the shadow I'd say it's Doug, the dog from Up. Didn't confirm this anywhere but it looked an awful lot like him.

Yeah, that's him. Since the movies are made over the course of so many years, chances are they used an early version of the same model, but I think I saw it confirmed somewhere that it's Doug. They also put the little ball from Luxo Junior in all the movies, as well as A113, a classroom at CalArts. And of course John Ratzenberger.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Two moments in Prometheus I thought were certainly worthy of praise:

The super medical recovery bay is shown in the (female) captain's quarters, but we find, soon enough, that it is only calibrated for male patients. This makes no sense until the reveal later that Weyland is on-board; the automated surgery pod is for him.

And, at the ending, when the alien ship is crashing back down and the women are fleeing, you actually see the Prometheus crash after the mid-air impact in the background; it was a detail I was pleased to see, as that kind of thing is so often missed/ignored by filmmakers.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

MichiganCubbie posted:

Same way Sam Raimi fit the Delta 88 into The Quick and the Dead.

Make it a wagon

Or pull an Army of Darkness.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

FreshFeesh posted:

The super medical recovery bay is shown in the (female) captain's quarters, but we find, soon enough, that it is only calibrated for male patients. This makes no sense until the reveal later that Weyland is on-board; the automated surgery pod is for him.

That didn't even cross my mind. All that crossed my mind was when they introduced it. "Well someone's using that later."I love the little touches like that.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Febreeze posted:

Yeah, that's him. Since the movies are made over the course of so many years, chances are they used an early version of the same model, but I think I saw it confirmed somewhere that it's Doug. They also put the little ball from Luxo Junior in all the movies, as well as A113, a classroom at CalArts. And of course John Ratzenberger.

A113 in inscribed on a class ring in Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, which was directed by Brad Bird.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
In the movie Swing Kids, one of the kids Arvid, has a club foot and he plays his guitar in jazz clubs.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Disney came up with a special effects term called 'bumping the lamp', during production of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit". The term comes from this scene, where Roger, who is added in post-production using entirely hand-drawn animation, bumps an overhead lamp which causes the lighting in the room to change as the lamp swings around. The interactive lighting makes the effects work seem more real to us on a subconscious level, as Roger's lighting changes with the environment around him.

Disco Pope posted:

A113 in inscribed on a class ring in Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, which was directed by Brad Bird.
And at one point Tom Cruise uses the code Alpha One Thirteen over a radio.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Robert Denby posted:

And at one point Tom Cruise uses the code Alpha One Thirteen over a radio.

Speaking of MI4, I just learned that Tom Cruise really climbed that building. They had extra harnesses and tons of safety equipment off camera, of course, but that's really him in all the shots. Holy Goddamn.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
In Aqua Teen Hunger Force the spiky, idiotic aliens named Oglethorpe and Emory share their names with two prominent colleges in Atlanta, the city where Williams Street is located.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Stayne Falls posted:

Speaking of MI4, I just learned that Tom Cruise really climbed that building. They had extra harnesses and tons of safety equipment off camera, of course, but that's really him in all the shots. Holy Goddamn.

Yes, actually. He's also one of the few people to have autographed the highest point on the Burj Dubai building. I think it was the top of the flagpole, but might have been the base of the pole. I don't remember which.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007
I just got done watching A Scanner Darkly again, and never realized the first time through how many clues to the ending are littered throughout. The female psychologist implanting the suggestion in Bob to bring flowers to Donna, Donna wanting Bob to join her on a farm, and probably a bunch of other things I missed. You catch little bits of everybody setting up Bob's actions throughout the whole film, they aren't exactly subtle but they're things you kind of forget even after you've learned their significance. I feel kind of dumb not having connected those before, I hope I'm not the only one who didn't notice them.

Some other minor visual touches really helped add to the atmosphere of psychosis and paranoia, like Hank's scramble suit briefly displaying a skull during the big reveal.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Another Edgar Wright joke I missed first time round, in Shawn of the Dead right after Shauns step dad is turned and Shaun screams "there is nothing left of the man you loved in that car!" Zombie step dad turns off the rock music on the stereo.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Another Shaun of the Dead one that's easy to miss is when Shaun and Ed go through various ideas of how to deal with their situation. Each variation includes killing his step-dad, but every time they repeat that part, Shaun gets a little more casual about it. He starts out with a tearful "I'm so sorry" and by the final iteration it's down to an almost cheerful "sorry!"

Dead Jedi
Oct 25, 2010

Stormtroopman posted:

The Shawshank Redemption has some subtle lines in it

Red says that Andy's idea of escaping was "A lovely pipe dream".

I thought I was clever picking this up the first time I saw it.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBzWTIexszQ

2:52 when the bloke at the back sneaks off an RPG- but then gets blown to pieces. Love this movie even though I have seen it a tonne of times.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

FreshFeesh posted:

And, at the ending, when the alien ship is crashing back down and the women are fleeing, you actually see the Prometheus crash after the mid-air impact in the background; it was a detail I was pleased to see, as that kind of thing is so often missed/ignored by filmmakers.

You've reminded me of Cloverfield - at the end of the movie, on the recording preceeding the events we can see an object falling from the sky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGBf0uhExFU&t=22s

Great Green Auk
Aug 31, 2011

It's chameleons all the way down.
In Back to the Future Part II, there is a western playing while Biff is in his hot tub with some girls. The cowboy onscreen has just survived a gunfight thanks to a cast-iron plate hidden underneath his clothes.

In Back to the Future Part III, Marty survives a gunfight by doing the exact same thing. Maybe I'm just dumb, but I never noticed it until I was home sick one day and watched all three back-to-back.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Great Green Auk posted:

In Back to the Future Part II, there is a western playing while Biff is in his hot tub with some girls. The cowboy onscreen has just survived a gunfight thanks to a cast-iron plate hidden underneath his clothes.

In Back to the Future Part III, Marty survives a gunfight by doing the exact same thing. Maybe I'm just dumb, but I never noticed it until I was home sick one day and watched all three back-to-back.

It also ties in with his pseudonym "Clint Eastwood" :ssh:

Great Green Auk
Aug 31, 2011

It's chameleons all the way down.

MrGreenShirt posted:

Woah, how did I manage to miss that too? Mind doubly blown. :psyduck:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I remember thinking there was something weird about baby Rapunzel's crib toy mobile. It has a horse, a lizard, a sun, a flower, and a lantern: all are largely future items and animals that help her.

Even as a young woman she's dressed in purple, which is a royal color.

Go go Tangled.

LoveisOver
Aug 8, 2011
In the original The Evil Dead, at the very beginning when driving to the hellish nightmare of a cabin in the woods, the wheel is supernaturally jerked to try to steer the 5 college kids to their deaths. I like to think this wasn't the Deadites/Candarian demons, but an act of God to kill them quickly and spare them the horror they have to experience later.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

MrGreenShirt posted:

Great Green Auk posted:

Woah, how did I manage to miss that too? Mind doubly blown. :psyduck:
Even better, when Marty runs the nickname by Doc Brown in '55, Doc says, "Clint who?" There's a poster for "Revenge of the Creature" in the background of the scene. That movie is where Clint Eastwood made his debut.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

FreshFeesh posted:

Just watched this last night and a subtle thing happened in the first act: Charlize Theron, after emerging from her sleep and doing push ups, asks the robot if "there are any casualties", clearly hoping there was at least one prominent death.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Another Back to the Future moment:

Marty says "This is heavy".

Doc Brown "There's that word again, heavy. Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the Earths gravitational pull?

Marty "What?"

It's just so subtle and hilarious.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

A coworker just reminded me of a nice touch in Crank/Crank 2. At the end of Crank, Jason Stathams character is falling from a helicopter and he calls his girlfriend to leave a goodbye message. While he's falling the background audio is muted so you can hear him clearly but there is a subtle sound of air rushing past. At the start of the second movie he asks his girlfriend if she got his message, and then she plays it back and all you can hear is wind noise - his voice is completely obscured.

Men in Black 3 had an interesting sequence as well. When Agent J goes back in time and visits the 60's version of the MIB headquarters the elevator ride sequence plays out very similarly to the first time he visited the HQ in the first movie but all the aliens are low budget humans-with-bits costumes, like many of the sci-fi movies and TV shows of the time.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

MrGreenShirt posted:

I first watched Back to the Future III years before I saw A Fistful of Dollars, and until I saw the latter movie I figured Marty was using his futuristic knowledge of bulletproof vests to come up with the oven-door shield.

I hope no one actually needed that spoiler text, because everyone should watch Back to the Future and A Fistful of Dollars.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

indoflaven posted:

Doc Brown "There's that word again, heavy. Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the Earths gravitational pull?

Marty "What?"

I sincerely don't mean to be a poo poo, and maybe I'm missing something but what about this is subtle? I just took it as a joke, showcasing how language has changed over the years.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

eithedog posted:

You've reminded me of Cloverfield - at the end of the movie, on the recording preceeding the events we can see an object falling from the sky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGBf0uhExFU&t=22s

I always think that clip is reaching, or maybe too subtle, because every time I try to watch for it, even in slow-mo, I can never ever see it. Although as long as we're talking about Cloverfield, here's something I saw on a Cracked article: Not sure if we can count movie posters for subtle movie moments, but I thought it was cool:

If you take the poster from the movie...

Then put a mirror of it right next to it...

... it comes out looking remarkably like the monster.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

The reason you can't see anything in the Cloverfield video is because it's really loving tiny.

Here is a slightly better one. Don't look for the actual object, look for the splash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFbgViZ6X5s

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Peanut President posted:

The reason you can't see anything in the Cloverfield video is because it's really loving tiny.

Here is a slightly better one. Don't look for the actual object, look for the splash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFbgViZ6X5s

I had to replay this video at least 4 times before I even saw the splash, and I still can't see any object. If it's intentional then it's way too unpronounced.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Peanut President posted:

I never saw the movie so can you explain to me the significance of that part? Is it like a cliffhanger ending or so?

Edit: Oops read the posts above, so it's just a scene to tell us that the monster is from space I guess.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Helios Grime posted:

I never saw the movie so can you explain to me the significance of that part? Is it like a cliffhanger ending or so?

Edit: Oops read the posts above, so it's just a scene to tell us that the monster is from space I guess.

According to the people behind it, it's a satellite piece that broke off and crashed into the water, which woke the monster.

It's a pretty strangely over-complicated bit of information which really, really isn't important at all.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

indoflaven posted:

Marty "What?"

In (I think) BTTF 3, something suitably incredulous happens and Marty says "Great Scott!" (which Doc Brown says all the time) to which Doc Brown replies, "I know, this is heavy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

prahanormal posted:

I had to replay this video at least 4 times before I even saw the splash, and I still can't see any object. If it's intentional then it's way too unpronounced.

The falling object was very clear in the theater, but that Youtube video is very bad quality compared to that. I looked at the video and couldn't see much of anything, but in the original movie you can see it.