Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

N. Senada posted:

The ending always felt like a saccharine cop out

Agreed, it really did come out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

gonna lose my place on plex but holding you to this

better be worth it

do it

but yeah the final episode has some atonality

theres a scene in the car on the way to carcosa where they are have that annoyed chemistry, suddenly have some camaraderie, then back to annoyed

that middle scene feels like it was added by someone, perhaps a tuttle

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 10:02 on Dec 10, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

still, one of the strongest seasons of a tv show in recent memory & yea 3/4 have some good meat on them too

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Carthag Tuek posted:

do it

but yeah the final episode has some atonality

theres a scene in the car on the way to carcosa where they are have that annoyed chemistry, suddenly have some camaraderie, then back to annoyed

that middle scene feels like it was added by someone, perhaps a tuttle

Ugh that's the really bad part.

I was just 3/4 through episode one and not enjoying it too much.

I love the bizarre dialogue from Cohle and honestly, his worldview isn't too off for me. Seeing Marty react to it and be the true baddie, considering his relationship history and judgementalism is well it's something.

Putting on special gloves to hit scared kids. Yeah, that's mah bro Marty.

Show goes in about 11 dark directions at once.

Rust can just tear up a suspect. Marty is like I'll beat the hymen back into my daughter you sick teenage gently caress!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hah drat "about 11 dark directions at once" is probably the most accurate yet succinct way to describe it that ive seen

actually feels like something rust would say :ohdear:

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 10:26 on Dec 10, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wait, Season 4 is out? Nicky pizza' work on S2 got me to wait forever on S3, and I know I have to check it out sometime, but I had no idea 4 was already out.

Edit: ok, I guess it's in pre-production?

Edit: now I'm confused...

Carthag Tuek posted:

still, one of the strongest seasons of a tv show in recent memory & yea 3/4 have some good meat on them too

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Truth. There was nowhere else to go but to make it Homeland or loving The Handmaid's Tale at some point.

Wrap it up 'B'

Still didn't feel right but oh well. Season 3 was good. 4 had its good parts too.

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 13:32 on Dec 10, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

no i just got up & bald dwarf messed me up. personally i meant the last two seasons, so 2/3. there are some great scenes by great actors in there but they dont cohere in the way the first season did. also after posting i was actually like wait, there was a season 4? went to download it and was disappointed

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The whole biker heist scene in season 1 blew me away.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I know this is the Subtle thread and not the Irrationally Irritating thread but nothing about TD S1 bothers me as much as ”My family’s been here a long time” said to nobody in particular. One of the worst reveals ever. Might as well have added a maniacal laugh.

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 15:55 on Dec 10, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Henchman of Santa posted:

I know this is the Subtle thread and not the Irrationally Irritating thread but nothing about TD S1 bothers me as much as ”My family’s been here a long time” said to nobody in particular. One of the worst reveals ever. Might as well have added a maniacal laugh.

lmao yea thats another needle scratch moment

its a weird season, i guess the 99% excellence makes the 1% jank stand out that much more

that same line, delivery, and context wouldnt seem out of place elsewhere

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Carthag Tuek posted:

no i just got up & bald dwarf messed me up. personally i meant the last two seasons, so 2/3. there are some great scenes by great actors in there but they dont cohere in the way the first season did. also after posting i was actually like wait, there was a season 4? went to download it and was disappointed

Damnit I was thinking of Fargo.

Sorry folks. Sorry.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

In the RDJ sherlock holmes movie, the villain is doing murders with an occult theming based on the sphinx's comp ok nent parts. So there's an ox, eagle, man, and lion themed murder.

However, the subtle bit which doesn't get mentioned is that these are also greek elemental themed kills as well - he kills a guy by burying him alive (earth), by drowning him in a bathtub (water), by setting him on fire (fire, duh), and his final plot is a gas-based murder (air).

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Wasn't the bathtub murder actually electrocution, not drowning?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I actually really liked the rdj holmes movies and I don't know why

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Milo and POTUS posted:

I found the first one super irritating because of the recurring "plan a whole series of events in his mind palace, then show you them all again as he actually does them" gimmick but the sequel really made that much better. Also I'd watch Jared Harris write a phone book

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Pilchenstein posted:

I found the first one super irritating because of the recurring "plan a whole series of events in his mind palace, then show you them all again as he actually does them" gimmick but the sequel really made that much better. Also I'd watch Jared Harris write a phone book

The sequel also had a fun twist with him trying that at the end only for Moriarty to counter with his own imagined scenario, turning it into a full chess match with no one playing a single move or throwing a single punch That was a great payoff. Just that line that twists the whole formula: "Come now, you think you're the only one who can play this game?" is amazingly played.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 00:43 on Jan 1, 2023

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Milo and POTUS posted:

They’re fun and good OP

Unlike your posts

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

GOT EM

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

BioEnchanted posted:

The sequel also had a fun twist with him trying that at the end only for Moriarty to counter with his own imagined scenario, turning it into a full chess match with no one playing a single move or throwing a single punch That was a great payoff. Just that line that twists the whole formula: "Come now, you think you're the only one who can play this game?" is amazingly played.
That is genuinely one of my favourite scenes in anything ever, Harris is just so smugly menacing :allears:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You just imagined you got him. He's imagining a perfect counter right now.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

BioEnchanted posted:

Didn't every time he tried that in the sequel, something would happen that it wouldn't work at all like he'd planned?

I didn't mind it in the first movie because it's Holmes and his execution is quick enough to incapacitate his opponent before they can react. I don't think they ever did it for any of the fights that would take longer than a second. The problem for me came later when insufferable nerds turned "thinking your way into winning a fight" into the new "kitana deflecting bullets".

The Moriarty one is good though because it's presented to the audience as them mentally sparring, but they aren't psychic and really it's just Holmes realizing that he can't win against an equally intelligent opponent while injured.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Cat Hatter posted:

Didn't every time he tried that in the sequel, something would happen that it wouldn't work at all like he'd planned?
The very first time it's shown as just flashes and then the fight plays out exactly as he pictured it, every time after that his genius plan immediately goes wrong. My issue with it in the first film isn't that it presents him as too competent or whatever, it's just that it's fuckin tedious to watch an entire fight in slow motion with narration and then watch it again at normal speed :v:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Pilchenstein posted:

The very first time it's shown as just flashes and then the fight plays out exactly as he pictured it, every time after that his genius plan immediately goes wrong. My issue with it in the first film isn't that it presents him as too competent or whatever, it's just that it's fuckin tedious to watch an entire fight in slow motion with narration and then watch it again at normal speed :v:

counterpoint: discombobulate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B62ACxuq8Pw

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Boxing chess is the game of kings.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The most annoying thing about the RDJ Sherlock movies is the weird mumble level dialogue when he has any sort of internal reflection going on in the first one. Had to watch the movie with subtitles to finally figure out what the gently caress he was saying.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I loved those damned movies but the second is really superior and I have no idea how you pull off a third after that Jared Harris stacked sequel.

I remember seeing that in theaters and having a few people audibly gasp at the big finish.

Legit how do you do a sequel to a Jared Harris Moriarty?

TGG has a new favorite as of 02:06 on Jan 2, 2023

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

TGG posted:

I loved those damned movies but the second is really superior and I have no idea how you pull off a third after that Jared Harris stacked sequel.

I remember seeing that in theaters and having a few people audibly gasp at the big finish.

It turns out he didn’t die!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

More moriarty

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Do you want Sherlock season 4? Because you are describing Sherlock season 4

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TGG posted:

Cast damon wayans

Mo money 2: mo riarty

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

flavor.flv posted:

Do you want Sherlock season 4? Because you are describing Sherlock season 4

I would like a single short season return to Elementary in 2023 if that's possible please?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Enter the Sherlockverse.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I would accept if Natalie Dormer just showed up as Moriarty out of nowhere.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
2mori 2arty

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
There is this goon who does videos pointing out subtle details in Better Call Saul. If you watch very closely, you will notice things you completely missed during the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQOca4KF1Ik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFB8dG5qrns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txEYR3QghtU

BCS spoiler in the title:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_wjNiapf7o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oGkCG7fQ6Y

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzFGEx9SkDg

This isn't very subtle, but way too few people are aware that Wim Wender's "Der Himmel über Berlin" (Wings of Desire) has Peter Falk playing himself as an angel who came to earth to play Columbo.

You think being an angel with no material body is enough to fool Columbo? Think again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7s-H4EqP4I

"Isn't that Columbo?"

SimonChris has a new favorite as of 21:52 on Jan 16, 2023

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

SimonChris posted:

There is this goon who does videos pointing out subtle details in Better Call Saul. If you watch very closely, you will notice things you completely missed during the show:

Are you the goon in reference? Are these your videos?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

Are you the goon in reference? Are these your videos?

No. I don't remember their username, but they posted in some of the old BCS threads.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

TGG posted:

Moriartie$.

Also he has a sister and, oh no!, she’s hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The most annoying thing about the RDJ Sherlock movies is the weird mumble level dialogue when he has any sort of internal reflection going on in the first one. Had to watch the movie with subtitles to finally figure out what the gently caress he was saying.

The first oen is a raelly fun adventure, but there are like 4 seperate mysteries where the answer is he invented a really specific chemical for just this purpose which is hella unsatisfying.