Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This guy's site has some really cool insights into The Shining including a lot of the weird spacial things and much much more. He occasionally seems to be reaching to far to find meaning, but then again with Kubrick it's hard to be sure that that's the case.

One of my favorite things he points out is this:
"During the conversation with Halloran Danny asks “Mr Halloran, are you scared of this place?”, and immediately we cut to our first wide shot of their conversation, which shows a set of knives in the background pointing directly at Danny’s head – a hint of the murderous danger that awaits the family."

Rabbit Hill posted:

In Ghost Dog, there's a moment when Forrest Whitaker walks down a populated city street. As he passes each person, they coincidentally happen to turn away from him or get distracted by something else, so not one person sees him walk by. He is effectively invisible.
That's amazing. I just recently re-watched this movie and I didn't notice that at all. On my recent viewing I also caught something that completely escaped me back when I saw it in the theaters ages ago: the scene where Louie saves Ghost Dog's life is shown in a slightly different fashion each time that a character mentions it. Which is a huge, obvious nod to Rashomon, I guess I might have noticed the differences, but I had only the vaguest idea of what it was about so the fact that it was such an obvious homage completely escaped me. The book is even explicitly mentioned in the film, it's the one Ghost Dog lends to the girl to read.

a kitten has a new favorite as of 08:08 on Jun 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The first Silent Hill movie does a really cool thing with Rose's outfit over the course of the film.

IMDb posted:

Around 100 different copies of Rose's outfit were made. It started out with soft summery colors and as the movie progressed it became grayer and eventually blood red. The change in the outfits were so subtle that it was barely noticeable.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It doesn't connect to the plot really, just thematically. It's such a neat little thing that it kind of deserves to have taken place in a better movie.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This has probably been mentioned in this very long thread before, hopefully not recently though!

I love how in The Departed Scorsese continually uses an X to foreshadow that death is coming, paying tribute to the 1932 Hawks film Scarface

Just a couple:

many more at this link
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/reeling/2007/01/x_marks_the_spo.html

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Also in the Lego Movie, when the train goes over the cliff and explodes (because everything explodes, the pigs explode into lego bacon.
:rip:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Coolie Ghost posted:

That might just be because they minimized their use of CGI in the film so much that those are just the actual thumbprints made by people positioning the legos, which is still a wonderful effect

Uh what? It's almost entirely CGI except for the part with the kid and his dad

http://entertainment.time.com/2014/...1e01d6355eb666a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

They presumably aren't going supersonic. A few years back when Obama was in Seattle a doofus in a Cessna didn't get the memo about a no fly zone and they scrambled jets from Portland and people definitely noticed.

https://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Fighters-scrambled-after-flight-restriction-890871.php