Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Saw Ratatouille on Netflix the other day and the letter from Linguini's Mum was in English, when I was sure it was in French last time I saw it. Found my UK DVD copy and right enough the letter and newspapers etc were all in French.

pyf subtle differences in regional releases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The gif thread just reminded me of Hot Fuzz.

Early on, Angel is established as a stickler for the official police vocabulary guidelines. The first murder victims appear to have died in a car crash and Angel corrects Danny for saying 'traffic accident' when he should say 'traffic collision'. Dany asks why and Angel says,
'because accident implies there's nobody to blame :cool:.'
And that works by itself as a cheesy-badass line and a payoff for Angel's sperging.

Later they're bonding over a pint and Angel asks Danny how his Mum died - traffic collision.
At the end it's revealed that wasn't just Danny learning the right vocab. :(

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Rewatched Groundhog Day and noticed something new: when Phil takes the old man to hospital, there's a boy in the background with his leg in a cast - the boy Phil later catches falling out of a tree.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Holy poo poo an 80s movie that hasn't had a modern sequel, remake or reboot :wth:

It'll happen. Probably with anime.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

I watched the extended edition of Desolation of Smaug.

The hobbit films had extended editions? Jesus wept.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

An ironmonger is a hardware store in the UK, that's about as menacing as calling yourself The Greengrocer.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Aquaman vs The Fishmonger

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Best action sequences
1) Raiders convoy
2) Crusade tank
3) Temple mine cart

All were great though.

I haven't seen Crystal. The clip I saw of the cgi monkey chase looked awful. Maybe it's less awful in context?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Perennial thread favourite Hot Fuzz. I noticed on my most recent watch that Danny really does take the effort to become a better policeman officer, and you can see him begin using the updated vocabulary guidelines throughout the movie and even reading them at one point.

I loved this because it's both character development and forshadowing when Danny says his mother died in a traffic "collision"

TGG posted:

He's an Angel who saves the community from evil, seems job name enough to me.

When Angel arrives at the hotel the landlady remarks "it appears the heavens have opened"

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Jedit posted:

This one's for Aretha and Matt. In The Blues Brothers, when they go to the soul food diner to recruit Matt Murphy and Blue Lou, Elwood signals his presence to Matt by ordering dry white toast. Earlier when he takes Jake to his rented room, he's cooking white toast on the heater and doesn't appear to have anything to spread on it.

Ray Charles' pawn shop has toaster ovens on display and Elwood puts some white bread in, which he happened to have on his person.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Yeah that's in the extended cut, which is a mixed bag. That scene isn't bad, like you say it explains where the cans came from, but it has Elwood without his sunglasses, which I think slightly spoils the scene where Jake takes off his glasses.

There's also an extended scene with John Lee Hooker that should never have been cut from the theatrical release, but most other bits I remember either add nothing or were bad.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Ferrule posted:

"I'm paying you to build a rail-road, not jump around like a bunch of Kansas City..."

Or the entire end sequence.

edit: And if it is supposedly such a wonderful teaching movie about intolerance how come it is so highly edited when it airs on TV?

Lmao Tv censors don’t give a poo poo about a movie’s message.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The scene in SotD where they pass another group of survivors has the cast of all the big UK TV comedies of the time - Spaced, Black Books, Little Britain, The League of Gentlemen and The Office.
Tyres, a recurring character from Spaced, also shows up as a zombie in front of the Winchester.

The subtlest for cameos was Hot Fuzz which had Peter Jackson as the Father Christmas who stabs Nicholas and Kate Blanchett as Nicholas' girlfriend

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Dragonstoned posted:

The song is also depressing as gently caress for a kids movie, even if it was on the DVD we'd skip it because it's too sad for my mom and sister.

It does mean you miss out of the "when love was lost" and "when love is found" link but its not worth it when it literally makes children cry in the middle of the jolly fun muppet movie.

I thought the song was a bit dull and no great loss, but you've convinced me it's great and should never have been cut.
Emotional connections to kids' movies are why they stick with you. Neverending story would be nothing without that drat swamp scene.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Homeybeef posted:

Tv moment:

Episode 5 of the most recent season of Bojack Horseman, Bojack calls Princess Carolyn complaining about having to learn too many new lines. He says "no show should have this much talking, TV is a visual medium". The next episode is Free Churro, the one that has Bojack talking for 20 uninterrupted minutes.

My favourite subtle callback was Philbert's house being based on David Boreanaz's

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I like Jackie Brown a lot, possibly because it's the most restrained of his films.
Kill Bill was fun, but that was the point he got too indulgent and I've not really been a fan of the stuff he's done since. Django had its moments.
I straight up did not like Inglorious Basterds. The Jewish heroes were vile and the Nazis were mostly sympathetic except Landa, who survives. There are two simultaneous assassination plots at the same location. Why? They don't conflict or cooperate with each other - they're not even aware of each other. Do something with that scenario ffs

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, I mean the Basterds were inglorious and they were bastards but I think vile is maybe a bit much. Also remember the German sniper who was hailed as a hero and then had his little meltdown because Shoshana wouldn't date him? Also was Shoshana vile?

No of course not, she was the most sympathetic and had clear personal stakes.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

peer posted:

wish I could say this was the first time I'd heard "the jews are unsympathetic because they hate nazis so much"
I did not say that at all.

quote:

it IS however the first time I've seen it followed up by "also the nazis were sympathetic"

I can't believe I have to clarify this but this was a complaint I had about the movie
Our heroes are mutilating prisoners who beg for mercy

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

peer posted:

In what way were they unsympathetic (or vile), if not in their treatment of people who want them dead merely for existing?

I understand that you think the movie portrayed jews as vile and nazis as sympathetic, I'm just not really seeing it myself

I don't think the movie portrays Jews negatively, just the basterds themselves, who were unsympathetic because they keep murdering and mutilating prisoners.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Posting is a mistake

bitterandtwisted has a new favorite as of 23:48 on Jan 1, 2019

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

As for films better than the original book: Hannibal. The ending to the book was mind-bogglingly stupid, and the film fixed it.

Hannibal the movie being better than the book is damning with faint praise. What a stupid book. OK movie, nothing great.

Silence of the Lambs was a good, if pulpy, book and one of the best horror films ever made.
Red Dragon was a good book and a somewhat poor movie. Some day I'll watch Manhunter, which I've heard is the superior adaptation.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

freeedr posted:

Sorry for the aside. I don’t know what pulpy means in regards to literature and I would like to. Most of the google results just use it without a clarifying context

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The ending was the only think I really disliked about the Hitchhiker film. Everyone on Earth is brought back to life, Arthur professes his love to Trillian and they fly away for more adventures. So safe and happy and Holywood. Bleh.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The Day of the Dolphin: Unwittingly, he trained a dolphin to kill the President of the United States.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Lone Pine Mall is a classic subtle movie moment

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I recently saw Le Planete Sauvage, a 70's French animated film about aliens who keep humans, which they call "oms", as pets.
I'd very much recommend it, it's beautiful and surreal.

Anyway, right now I'm listening to the soundtrack on spotify and I saw a track listed as "le cite des hommes libres" and thought "that's weird they call them humans in the score... ooooh right, hommes = oms :saddowns: "

Probably less subtle if you're French

bitterandtwisted has a new favorite as of 09:04 on Aug 23, 2019

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Kramdar posted:

Are you too young to remember Donatello getting switched out on the original Ninja Turtles cartoon? Because that poo poo was nails on a chalkboard when they switched. Or even when Mary Kay Bergman passed away and they had to replace her on South Park.

The worst for me was the episodes where someone other than James Avery played Shredder.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Jackie Chan is just incredible

Yeah I love his films. The one criticism I have is none of his characters are memorable in themselves, they're always just Jackie.

I saw Police Story 2 recently and early on his girlfriend gets beaten up. He storms into a restaurant with righteous fury to kick the poo poo out of the guys who did it. It's not the most technically impressive fight he's done (even in this movie the playground scene is better), but it has an emotional intensity you rarely see in these fights and it's the one time I've seen any of his characters as a dangerous individual you really don't want to cross. I'd have liked if he'd mixed things up a bit and wasn't always the lovable cuddly hero.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Thanks, I'll check those out.
And yeah, Drunken Master 2 is great. Possibly my favourite.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

George C. Scott's is my favourite version of a Christmas Carol, mostly for his performance; he's really the definitive Scrooge in my mind.
I also really liked Frank Finlay's take on Marley. He really chews the scenery as a tormented spirit, but sells it with complete sincerity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh_fUMgFomk

Leave comedy to the bears, Ebenezer.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I bought Willow on blu ray a few years ago so I've seen it fairly recently. It's excellent and holds up extremely well. The only thing that you might call "dated" about it would be the matte paintings, but who doesn't love matte paintings? I'll never complain about a matte painting even if it's super obvious.

Yeah I love matte paintings.
Maybe it's irrational, but obvious greenscreen backgrounds take me right out of a movie but an obvious matte painting doesn't.
Same with CG vs puppet creatures.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Betty Boop's dog boyfriend is called Bimbo

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

idgi but judging by the reactions this got i wanna gi

edit: nevermind google helped be and :stare:

for anyone who dumb like me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Broderick#1987_car_crash

He still has a holiday home in Ireland. In a charming little village called... Kilcar

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

One of the bits of space junk Wall-E collides with is Sputnik 1

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I enjoyed the JW films well enough, but if felt like watching a videogame let's play. Constant headshots against nameless, faceless constantly spawning enemies interspersed with minibosses who have a face and sometimes even a name. The guys in fancy armour in JW3 really felt like the tougher enemies you get later in games.
The first one seems to draw attention to this on purpose when it cuts between one guy playing an FPS and John murdering everyone outside.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

replace both with the Goofy scream

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I have a mysterious red switch in my flat. I've tried it but idk what it does other than make a red LED light up. Maybe that's all it's for.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Just watched Halloween H20. Janet Leigh has a small part and when she drives off in an old car a few notes of the Psycho theme play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

"Traffic Collision" is such a well layered joke.

The setup of "official vocab guidelines", is also character establishment for Angel
The payoff "because 'accident' implies there's no one to blame" is a cool action one-liner
The callback, when Danny says his mother died in a "traffic collision" is a bonding moment between the two that shows Danny's growth as a real policeman officer.
It was also foreshadowing - Irene Butterman's death was not an accident