Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Another Edgar Wright joke I missed first time round, in Shawn of the Dead right after Shauns step dad is turned and Shaun screams "there is nothing left of the man you loved in that car!" Zombie step dad turns off the rock music on the stereo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

To be fair, put some pretty man like Gosling in that role and it's a LOT easier to buy that the town of locals would want a reasonably smart and good-looking young fella to succeed when his only major "defect" is that he's too socially awkward to connect with real women--put a Patton Oswald or a Danny McBride in that role and at least half of the same townspeople would be convinced he was a pedophile on general principle and begrudgingly give him a chance if any gave him one at all.

Thats true of all actors though. All roles are informed to some degree by the actors physicality.

With Gosling its his big, pretty eyes. Thats what makes you buy him as a lovable loser rather than just a loser, or effectively play a role like the Driver where he's just about on the borderline of being an autistic psychopath.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

What if the best take has a minor continuity error? Are you going to throw away the best captured performance because the cigarettes wrong?

BiggerBoat posted:

Shutter Island was pretty great but I doubt I would have enjoyed it as much had I not read the book first, where usually that's the exact opposite situation. I think the book does a better job with the overall set up and the reveal but you're right. When you watch it again all of the clues, facial expressions, tics and non responses really ring out loud.

Having just watched it the way Ben Kinglseys character says that it used to be that patients were mistreated, even "...drowned" he says it like he's worried just saying the word is going to set Teddy off.

And again in the scene where Teddy realises that Kingsley is lying to him about there being 66 patients, Kinglseys expression is "good job, he's figured it out"

massive spider has a new favorite as of 14:35 on Jun 26, 2013