Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Drive spoilers I guess. Covers themes and some information about the ending

1) The core theme of the movie is explicitly stated to you with the "Frog and the Scorpion" story. The fact that the main character wears a Scorpion jacket not only reinforces it but foreshadows how the final showdown with the knife will go.

2) The driver is a literal Knight in White Satin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Originally the ending was a little more talky and political. The two aliens in the restaurant were different factions and were negotiating a peace treaty that "Edgar" didn't want to happen. The ending also didn't involve any fight scene between J, K and "Edgar." They were supposed to all sit down and talk out their problems, this scene was originally going to use an animatronic version of the bug instead of the CG one used in the movie.

Well that's unequivocally terrible compared to the ending we got so go test audiences.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Chef Bromden posted:

J failed the entrance exams across the board. He only got in because K pushed for him after hearing that J chased down a Cephalapoid on foot. K pushes for him because J is an outsider like K was when the Men in Black started, which is important because K is ultimately looking for his replacement.

Don't forget the additional motivation MiB3 introduced as well.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jedit posted:

It's even worse for him than that. Because his skeleton is made of adamantium, he'd sink. Being able to regenerate doesn't remove his need for oxygen, so he'd spend forever constantly drowning and reviving. It's about the only way short of disintegration to permanently kill him.

His bones are only coated in adamantium not made of the stuff so he only weighs something like a pound and a half more than a normal person. He'd probably float just fine.

:goonsay:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

So wait, she was always an agent, and was being used as an unconvincing conduit of the truth to get people to act irrationally / allow her master to gloat, and her "My life for you" line was just identifying herself to another minion of her master?
:psyduck:

No, its that the reason The Mist is so good is because the character you're conditioned to hate is 100% correct in everything she says and had people simply listened to her there would be no problems. The Mist is basically a complete rebuttal of "I'd act sanely in a supernatural circumstance" mindset that many people carry with them into these sorts of films.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

spog posted:

Is there a law somewhere that James Hong has to be in every single movie with a Chinese theme?

IMDB 385 credits as an actor!

He's got more than Christopher Lee so yes, yes he does. I love his voice though so anything he's in is automatically improved even if its something incredibly dumb like Sleeping Dogs.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

spog posted:

Do master piano players make a lot of cash?

Fluent in French, skilled with piano, dry wit and excellent camera presence says he could be the second coming of Jerry Lewis

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Within infinity its presented as done and finished and no takebacks

Which is good because the heroes were such idiotic shits for the entire runtime Im glad Thanos won.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Only if Magneto has an 8 way airdash

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Anyone that cannot find the fun in Speed Racer is welcome to FITE ME

You wont have to worry about fighting anyone because theyll have to go through me first

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

My only problem with the Speed Racer movie is that Racer X, one of the coolest looking characters of all time, looks like a dweeb in the movie

How does he look like a dweeb? The fakeout with him in the movie rules nearly as hard as the reveal of why Speed races

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Here's another thing I just noticed about Starship Troopers.

All the main guys are from Buenos Aires, yet at high school they play a future version of American Football, instead of a future version of Soccer.

In no way shape or form, I don't care how fascist and controlling the over-reaching government is, would Brazil give up playing Soccer in favour of Gridiron.

Of course, which is why Argentinians now play american football.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Taco Bell Cantina concept is a Chicago Original and is being expanded in Chicago and nationwide because it turns out "lovely inauthentic mexican food" is a fantastic pairing with "lovely inauthentic mexican liquor"

I had to take a field trip to the Cantina location as a work field trip which might be simultaneously the best and worst thing I've been paid to do.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

We talking about Speed Racer again? Because it rules.

“Inspector Detector suspected foul play!” is a real quote from that film

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Speed Racer features a man earnestly telling you that Pancakes are Love.

Barudak has a new favorite as of 06:42 on Oct 10, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bony tony posted:

It's also kind of a trans narrative?

Click

I like this post, its good, but Speed Racer is unambiguously first and foremost a story about a kid who wants to grow up and pilot a two ton death machine to destroy all those who oppose them just for pure art. The end of the film is a master class in editing where child Speed's fantasy and adult Speed's reality overlap while adult Speed defeats the last racers between themselves and the finish line it is revealed that the previously unshown final panels of the racing comic child Speed is drawing are of him savagely obliterating the rival race cars

In any other film you would be aghast at such a revelation, but in Speed Racer where the enemy is explicitly Capitalism you are cheering as a murderous, unhinged lunatic fully disassociates from reality and destroys two cars with the drivers still inside for absolutely no reason except their own personal joy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This might be slightly outdated advice because streaming has improved tremendously since the film came out, but to anyone planning to watch the film, please try and watch a non-streaming option unless you have extremely good quality on the stream. The films art style is sumptuous in a way that still holds up completely today but looks horrible if you're watching it on a pixelated and compressed stream as it causes the clean color separations and rich hues to end up muddled. The opening, for instance, which features the protagonist racing a Best-Time Ghost Car like in a video racer looks awful when you can't see the separation between the ghost car's colors and lines and Speed's on the track.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The Matrix yes, but not the sequels. V for Vendetta is usually seen as more of a gay narrative.

Sense8 is completely open with it.

Have they done anything else?

Ninja Assassin but I think literally no one has ever watched that

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its an error with ASCII caused by something Apple did. Sadly not a cool new feature

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh yeah, theres foam balls that encapsulate racers to protect them but theres no point where Speed cares about that fact. Like his response to getting shot at by a gun in the middle of the race is to drive harder. Theres no implication ever given that if the foam balls didnt exist Speed would ever drive safer, and in his childhood drawings of his fantasy there are no foam balls, only roaring flames from the cars he destroys.

Basically, the film is not loving around with "Hes a demon on wheels"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Of movies that aren't afraid to be what they are, Speed Racer is the purest.

Speed Racer is possibly the most earnest film of the past decade. It is so unabashedly open about what it is it manages to trick people watching the film despite them knowing one of the twists going in.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Imagined posted:

The cartoon is like the Flintstones or Scooby Doo, i.e. if you've seen one episode you've seen them all.

I'd disagree if only because while the majority of them are boring by the book racing adventures, in a small fraction Speed murders an entire group of insane car-stunt worshiping cultists whose field commander he allows to burn alive and then die in a car explosion while screaming his religion will get revenge.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Don Gato posted:

Huh I thought I saw every episode growing up but Speed Racer: Fury Road isn't ringing any bells.

Looked it up, its The Most Dangerous Race which is a 3 part episode.

Speed Racer is a weird show, theres a two parter where in the same episode Speed crushes scorpions launched at him from another race car and opines how unlucky it is he may not get a chance to get to compete in the local racing circuit he uses his car to assault a fortified compound and end a coup attempt by murdering its leader.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Not Operator posted:

My dude, have you ever heard of Charlie Callas? He was a 60's comedian. Here he is doing his act and somehow crushing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTmK9NlTN8Y

I have absolutely no trouble believing Don Knotts was considered a riot back then.

I watched this and as a technical showcase it was kind of cool but why is anyone laughing?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

One of the extremely lost tribes of Israel.

You know thats an actual mormon belief, right? Like the reason Jesus rode in a concrete submarine to America for the three days he was dead was to preach to the lost tribes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its mostly trickle down nostalgia with things like Waynes World and the recent biopic and the fact freddie is a hot swarthy bi dude who died young thus being a good fit for this generations preferred icon of the past.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

I can't think of a single modern song that has subject matter anywhere near as unusual as Bohemian Rhapsody.

I think there needs to be more songs that aren't just about the here and now.

Disco Duck was #1 song in 1976 and its about turning into a duck and deciding that shouldnt stop you from picking up chicks. Pop music is and has always been weird.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

syscall girl posted:

In the movie yes.

In the book they were silver shoes.

L. Frank Baum had a hardon for the gold standard which doesn't explain the silver but he was the proto Kubrick

Frank L. Baum wanted to switch from a pure Gold Standard to a bi-metal standard with Silver included. This would have caused the US dollar to inflate insanely rapidly making it easier for farmers unless you thought about the issues affecting them for more than like 30 seconds instead of writing several novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theyre being preserved because making more of them is really expensive