Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Rabbit Hill posted:

In Ghost Dog, there's a moment when Forrest Whitaker walks down a populated city street. As he passes each person, they coincidentally happen to turn away from him or get distracted by something else, so not one person sees him walk by. He is effectively invisible.

It's probably not subtle enough to count, but I enjoyed the fact that all of the assassinations are prefaced by the target watching a cartoon that parodies the way they will die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

The Slip posted:

I've fallen in love with just about everything Charlie Kaufman has worked on.

I'm a big fan of his brother's work, too. Real talented family.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Rabbit Hill posted:

In Ghost Dog, there's a moment when Forrest Whitaker walks down a populated city street. As he passes each person, they coincidentally happen to turn away from him or get distracted by something else, so not one person sees him walk by. He is effectively invisible.

Just wanted to say thanks for reminding me to watch this movie again. I was wrong about the cartoons; they aren't just depictions of the killings. They also cover more general themes. Really a cool element to rewatch for.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Tombstone. posted:

I saw the movie when I was little, before I ever heard "Marriage of Figaro." I grew up thinking that the piece of music was written by Rachmaninoff. Even after I learned that it was written by Mozart, this confused the hell out of me until they aired a trivia segment on AMC during the movie, saying that the writer of the movie noted that the gag went over almost everyone's head.

I think it's early enough in the movie that her idiocy hasn't yet been fully established. I remember having a suspicion about her being wrong on subsequent viewings (not that I knew the right answer or had any desire to find out), but it sailed right over me the first time, for sure.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
This is more of a subtle goof, but once it was pointed out to me, it stuck:

In The Rock, they go through a lot of trouble to recruit Sean Connery's character as an expert on the island, and he talks at length about how he's the only person who knows all the ins and outs necessary, like the timing of the ridiculous flaming crusher hallway they use to break in. Connery rolls through it, and there's a pregnant pause while Nic Cage's character waits for him to open the door and let him in.

The door is easily opened from the inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

mind the walrus posted:

Maybe he just owns the property the alley is using, thus he has an income but is technically unemployed.

Then why is he so late on his rent?