Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

In the first two Addams Family movies, Morticia's face is never fully illuminated, but is always in shadow with only her eyes lit up. This is always the case, even in group shots where everyone else is fully lit.

There's a funny scene in Addams Family Values, I think in the scene with Nathan Lane, where the slit lighting is set up in the wrong place and she adjusts her position so it's around her eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Red1Dex posted:

Another Fight Club subtlety: Basically throughout the movie, no one ever interacts with Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt) apparent from the Narrator (Edward Norton). People look at the narrator when they are supposedly talking to Durden, they apologize when bumping into the narrator but not when bumping into Durden, and Marla is never in the same room with BOTH of the men.

Holy moly! No way!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

melon cat posted:

A small aside- did anyone notice the similarity between Johnny Mo (leader of the Crazy 88) and Pai Mei?

You should have! Both are played by the same actor, Gordon Liu.

Who is Lucy Liu's dad and a big time Kung Fu movie actor, so he's in it for lots of reasons.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0514904/

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

What is it called when one character does a thing, and another character thinks the first one did something different, and due to that mixup there is comedy? I know Fraiser and Modern Family use it all the time.

Dramatic irony.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

fuckpot posted:

Also at the start of Django Unchained when Schultz and Django are in the bar having a beer together they both only take small sips defying the convention of characters guzzling their drinks down at the start of Tarantino films.

Actually there were a few of the old Tarantino signatures not used in the film unless I missed them. There was no especially long take, no car-boot view and no corpse view. I could be completely wrong and missed them but I have seen it twice now and actually looked out for them the second time.

The car-boot POV shot was when Django was hanging upside down and looking up at Walton Goggins, who is threatening to cut his junk off. Like the final shot of Inglourious Basterds, it's not from the trunk of a car but it's the same basic perspective.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Oppenheimer posted:

I like Landa's welp reaction when Shoshanna gets away at the start, he really is the best Nazi. Landa is so plotting and that conversation is so tense, and then he just watches her leave.

To him it's not about exterminating the Jews, it's about being the smartest guy in the room. Hence the flaunting of the massive Sherlock pipe as soon as the farmer pulls out his little corncob.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Terminal Entropy posted:

On a similar note, Tom Waits is the Joker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG2nEPYXL7c

Yeah, I noticed this as soon as I saw the movie.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
When Doc Brown tells Marty it's his kids that are the problem (in the future) (this incarnation of Dr. Brown is from the future) at the end of BTTF1, he is foreshadowing Back to the Future 2, in which Marty's son gets in trouble in the future and Marty has to save him

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Lastly, looking at the script, just before Gennaro gets off his little raft to go in to the amber mine, the dig leader says something in Spanish - it translates to "bet you $1000 bucks he falls." A few seconds later, Gennaro trips and almost falls.
Haha this is great, I never knew this.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ducttape posted:

On the other hand, all of the totems (except Cobbs) behave unusually in real life (misspelled poker chip, weighted die, hollowed chess piece), suggesting that the totem works because someone elses mind doesn't properly recreate it (Like how Saito knew he was in the second dream in the beginning). This would then mean that Cobbs totem doesn't mean a thing, and he could be in a dream the whole time.

Yeah, that's the whole thing. The wedding ring isn't his totem, he took his wife's totem when she died. The top spins forever in a dream. The movie cuts to black before we can tell if the top will fall or not. It's intentionally ambiguous, there's no definitive answer with solid evidence one way or the other.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

SaltyJesus posted:

Actually, Nolan himself said in some interviews that when he did the movie one interpretation in his mind was the "correct" one. So unless he's meta-loving with people's minds I think that there is probably one interpretation subtly more supported by the movie.

He's saying that of the two possible endings, only one of them can be true, and he decided which one before he made the movie. This informed his decisions within the filmmaking process, although it did not necessarily force his hand to insert cryptic clues that lead to THE ANSWER!!! So, yeah, ambiguity can only exist within a limited scope of knowledge, which the audience has. The director of the movie, effectively God in the story, obviously knows what happens next.

scary ghost dog has a new favorite as of 11:49 on Apr 22, 2013

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

There's a post-credit scene??
Ah bloody hell...

Hahaha you don't know what you missed man.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

I am not a book posted:

I think that Jurassic Park is one of those movies that you should read the book first, since most of the background present in the films is explained much better in the books. Even having read the book, the movie was still amazing, and 3d made it even better.

I disagree with this, and think that Jurassic Park is a thousand times better as a movie than as a book. The book's fine, it's good, but the movie is transcendant. It's one of the best movies ever made.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

OilSlick posted:

I can't remember if this one's been posted as there's been a lot of Shutter Island posts in this thread, but in the scene where Teddy and Chuck are interviewing a female patient early in the movie, they ask her about the mysteriously absent Dr. Sheehan. The female patient describes him as "not too hard on the eyes", to which Chuck gives a little grin. Chuck is, of course, Dr. Sheehan playing his part in Teddy's role play, so naturally he'd smile at that remark.

Nothing groundbreaking, but I thought that was kinda neat.

She also nervously glances at him before answering the question, which he responds to with a knowing look.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

CyberLord XP posted:

I re-watched this the other day and realized toons represent a racial minority. Then I looked that up on the internet and sure enough someone has written a whole essay on racial subtext in Who Framed Roger Rabbit

This is some surface level poo poo.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
The movie has humanoid toons passing as human by changing the way they speak as well.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Primer is the ultimate libertarian cinematic masterpiece, IMO.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
As far as needlessly nihilistic and antagonistic movies go, Wanted's actually a pretty enjoyable action flick, even is if it is monumentally stupid.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I know The Ladykillers isn't everyone's favorite Coen Brothers movie, but I like it. I watched it again today and I love the way the facial expression of painted portrait of the old lady's deceased husband hanging above above the fireplace changes every time it's shown.

It's a pretty good and funny movie even if it can't bat with the best of them.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
In the movie Crank, Chev Chelios is poisoned with a cocktail that causes his heart to stop beating. To counter this, he keeps a constant flow of adrenaline rushing to his heart by doing various acts of mayhem throughout Los Angeles. At one point, he uses a defibrillator to reset his heart beat to normal. Then, he injects himself with like two grams of epinephrine! Anyway the subtle movie moment is that Dennis from Always Sunny is the doctor he gets to defib him.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jedit posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, someone has just mentioned Crank in the Subtle Movie Moments thread. I think it's time to call it a day.

In Cantonese, "Kaylo" is a slang term for a gay man.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Cabin in the Woods is a great comedy and very funny with a lot of good jokes but it's a pretty garbage horror movie.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It stole the title screen gag from Funny Games.

Cabin in the Woods was funny but any commentary on the horror genre was completely toothless because the kind of horror movie it was a commentary on died out a generation ago. You know, when Scream came out and made all the same salient points with a fraction of the :jerkbag:

I'm not a big defender of Cabin in the Woods as a salient and topical commentary on horror movies, but it's stupid to discredit something for having a precedent.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jedit posted:

Ah, but this is a comedy movie. It's always perfectly acceptable to discredit a comedian for stealing other people's material (see: Leary, Denis).

Nobody has accused Cabin in the Woods of stealing jokes.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

I'm watching Cabin in the Woods now. I realized something about the dome: it's to keep the Cthulhu or whatever main demon contained and from getting out into the whole world. The first time I watched the movie I thought that the end was the end of the World/Apocalypse, but maybe not since these monsters can't get out. Do I have to spoiler something like that?

Yeah, it's a good use of the spoiler tags, but I think you're wrong about there being a dome.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Please consider that all of her prophecies come true, from the monsters coming at night to no monsters coming after they kill the soldier, all the way to the crisis ending when the kid is killed.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Also, "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, but man what if 'the few' was like a kid and a sad soldier and to save the many you had to brutally murder them?? wouldn't that suck dude but what would you do right? what would you do???"

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Fair enough. I just like n-dimensional chess games.

Those don't exist in King stories. Even evil is guided by emotion in his writing.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I didn't really interpret her character that way- yes, she makes predictions that "come true", but they're always tiger-rock situations that could just be coincidence.

It's obvious that her character is using both fear and religion to manipulate the group, and at some points she makes prophecies that don't actually come true, such as when she (clumsily) warned that leaving the market to go over to the drug store would result in more attacks (she's completely against everything that has to do with leaving the store, as it's become her little kingdom where people listen and bend to her will).

*They left out a pretty awesome character in the movie: a British guy who seems like he's in control and a badass, before he's off-handily killed during the Drug Store venture. It was pretty surprising and added to the "they're hosed" thing.

Again, this "prophecy" is pretty safe to make, since the store had been subject to several attacks already, yet it doesn't occur.

I believe that she also makes some allusions to her being protected by God, which obviously weren't true.

The ending in the novella is much more interesting than the movies, which was cringe worthy I found. Instead of everyone dying save James Purefoy, then having that terrible actress from the beginning drive by with a smug look on her face (I TOLD YOU THAT YOU SHOULD HAVE RISKED BOTH YOU AND YOUR SON'S LIVES :smug:), it turns out that the reader has been reading an account left in a hotel lobby, typed up by the father the night before they attempt to leave for a town that they *might* have heard over the radio.

As evidenced by the Black and White Director's Cut version of the film, as well as interviews with Frank Darabont, the movie is intended to have a sort of Twilight Zone extended episode feel. Given this, the excessively dark ending and ironic interpretations of the actions of the characters make sense. Also, it's Thomas Jane, not James Purefoy.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Purefoy looks like Jane had sex with McDermott

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

All on Black posted:

Well, they give Walt's birth year as 1959 and age as 50 so they've firmly placed the first season in 2009. The passage of time is pretty clear so I think it was just a mistake.

It's less a "mistake" and more "they don't give a poo poo about what date the show is placed in."

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Unforgiven is about a woman who is brutalized, and how gross overreaction and zealous attempts at accountability lead to senseless death and tragedy.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Michael's reactions and references to Ann are some of the best jokes on the show.

"All right, well, just load her up in the car."

(Michael often makes veiled references to Ann resembling a hog)

Professor Shark posted:

Your memory is better than mine. I think he clears his throat after the comma, which really makes the judgement obvious and hilarious.

You're right that it doesn't seem intentional. I was actually thinking about it more after I posted, and I think a lot of his statements come out as a result of him desperately trying to show George Michael that he remembers Ann (he doesn't remember Ann), so he just blurts out that last association he made with her.

For example, he claims that he hasn't really been able to get to know Ann because George Michael has been hogging her- he's being an Ann hog! :haw:

Later on (same episode, later episode, can't remember) he makes the statement about "loading her up".

Same with when he calls her Egg; he remembers some story about her that George Michael was telling him that has to do with eggs, so it just comes out.

gently caress you

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Ann. Her? Hog. Get off that her hog. Her ann egg. Ann her egg hog. Egg? Ann. Egg hog. Hog Ann egg

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lmao. Yes. This is my poo poo. So subtle.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

The sports theme in George Michael's room is a joke because he ducks and covers whenever anything is thrown to him (like a baseball, football, basketball).

This one's good actually.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I don't believe continuity errors were a big deal at the time.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lurken posted:

Wait, when did this happen?

the characters were talking about something that happened "a long time ago"

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its not from anything

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
you can make it sound as fancy as you like but if thats true spielberg just said "how do they escape? what if Hammond left the freezer open and it's all slippy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the violinist in James and the giant peach describes himself as a moon cricket