Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
There's a lot of repeated dialogue in "The Big Lebowski". The conversations between The Dude, Walter, and Donny are made up of repeating dialogue more often than not. Towards the beginning of the film, we see Bush Sr. on TV talking about Saddam and he says, "This aggression against Kuwait will not stand." Later on, The Dude rephrases this. Also, the nihilists appearing in red with giant scissors... Look what's hanging up on Julianne Moore's wall a few scenes prior:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
"Hot Fuzz" does this too. When Simon Pegg first goes jogging in the town, everyone is in the same positions they are when the final shootout goes down.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Zasraik posted:

In Terminator 2 when Arnie is thrown through the department store window a man with a camera starts taking pictures of him, then has a look of shocked recognition.

It's because the actor played the same cop that had his car jacked by the terminator in the first film.

That's actually the screenwriter, William Wisher.

"Lost Highway" ends with Bill Pullman's character convulsing and apparently having some kind of seizure while a blue flashing light surrounds him. Earlier in the film, Robert Blake's Mystery Man character tells him of how in "the east, the far east", executioners would lie in wait, and not warn prisoners before suddenly shooting them in the back of the head. Could that last scene be Pullman in the electric chair, but so deep in his mind that he can't actually register that's what's actually happening to him?

I've seen the movie a number of times but it's something that only jumped out at me recently.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

benito posted:

In The Departed, whenever someone is going to die there is an X on the screen, either on a poster or as a part of the architecture or whatever.
This is a callback to Howard Hawks' "Scarface" from 1932. It gets it's origins from old crime scene photos where the location of a body was marked with an 'X'. On "Scarface" in fact, crew members would get paid extra if they came up with a creative way to hide the 'X'.

EDIT: Also, I never noticed either of those "Community" jokes. :aaa:

Robert Denby has a new favorite as of 14:04 on May 30, 2012

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
This is bordering on trivia, but David Lynch has an obsession with Lincoln, which carried over a lot into "Blue Velvet". Frank Booth shares his last name with John Wilkes Booth, and Kyle McLaughlin is warned not to go onto Lincoln street. Lynch's fascination first reared it's head in the TV version of "Dune". Lynch took an 'Alan Smithee' credit for director, and the writer is listed as 'Judas Booth'.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Disney came up with a special effects term called 'bumping the lamp', during production of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit". The term comes from this scene, where Roger, who is added in post-production using entirely hand-drawn animation, bumps an overhead lamp which causes the lighting in the room to change as the lamp swings around. The interactive lighting makes the effects work seem more real to us on a subconscious level, as Roger's lighting changes with the environment around him.

Disco Pope posted:

A113 in inscribed on a class ring in Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, which was directed by Brad Bird.
And at one point Tom Cruise uses the code Alpha One Thirteen over a radio.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

MrGreenShirt posted:

It also ties in with his pseudonym "Clint Eastwood" :ssh:

Great Green Auk posted:

Woah, how did I manage to miss that too? Mind doubly blown. :psyduck:
Even better, when Marty runs the nickname by Doc Brown in '55, Doc says, "Clint who?" There's a poster for "Revenge of the Creature" in the background of the scene. That movie is where Clint Eastwood made his debut.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Heres Hank posted:

Not that I'm a huge Tarantino fan, but I'm pretty sure he was actually planning on having Eric Stoltz play Jimmy.
IIRC, he decided he wanted to be behind the camera for Mia's overdose and the bit with the adrenaline needle.

Speaking of that scene, there's a bit where Stoltz' character goes into his room looking for a medical book. The camera lingers outside and we can't see what he's doing, we hear it, but we can clearly see that the room is a complete mess. It's a good way of building the tension of the scene.

There's a great documentary on cinematography called "Visions of Light", with a section on "Rosemary's Baby that explains better than I can how the technique works on the mind of a viewer.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

The Slip posted:

I literally just started watching Alien 4: Resurrection. So to set this up, this one takes place 200 years after the third one. That said, there's a scene in the beginning where this army general is asked to identify himself to get through a door. He breathes into this security thing, and it doesn't work the first time so he has to wait and breathe into it again. It's a nice, subtle, and totally unnecessary thing to do at the very beginning to establish both that technology still isn't perfect and set a tone similar to the very first Alien where it's the future, but everything is really rundown.

A friend of mine knows one of the set designers on the original "Alien", and for years after it came out, the guy complained about how the hugely detailed sets they built had been 'dirtied up', with parts of them deliberately damaged. It wasn't until years later when every production started doing it that he changed his mind.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
There's two other instances where they dub over profanity in that movie. Tommy (can't remember the actor's name) mouths, "You are so full of poo poo, man", when Tim Allen finally shows up to the convention, and in the background of a scene about midway through the movie you see Guy (Sam Rockwell) mouth "We're hosed." while the audio says "We're screwed."

I've had friends say to me, "That was a great movie, but why did you show us the edited-for-TV version?"

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

The Man with a Hat posted:

One of Tim Burton’s objectives when working on Batman was to explore whether Wayne was really better than the people he fought. The most obvious counterpoint is when Batman is fleeing the scene at the chemical factory... with AXIS spelled out in big red letters behind him. Burton is comparing him to the Nazis.

The Axis Chemicals set is filmed on the same sets as the Weyland Yutani colony from "Aliens". They even had to peel some of the alien cocoons off the walls to film "Batman" there.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

tobu posted:

[...]Bladerunner[...]
In the directors cut, the final cut, the artificial owls eyes reflect light and so do the eyes of the replicants.
Hate to get :spergin: on ya, but that's in every version of the movie. It's not a post-production effect either, it was done on set using a beam splitter (basically a series of mirrors that reflect light back into the camera). The reason why Deckard has this at one point is because Harrison Ford happened to walk into where the light was being reflected (its a scene between him and Sean Young right after she's killed Leon).

"Blade Runner" still has a mind-boggling amount of detail to it, though. Ridley Scott actually got someone to design futuristic magazines that could be in prop newstands.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

I don't want to start a derail but is the Bluray version of Bladerunner any good? I've put off buying a larger full HD TV for some time now. Seeing Bladerunner in HD might just push me over the edge.
It certainly is! There's a new Blu-Ray coming this fall that's not really worth getting, but if you can find it, get the 5-disc version that came out in 2007 that contains five versions of the film (1982 theatrical and European cuts, the 1992 director's cut, the 2007 'Final Cut', and the workprint) plus a great four-hour documentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

notaspy posted:

This is one of the reasons the voice over is poo poo, Harrison put on effort into the as an act of protest.
There's a little more to it than that. Most drafts of the script have narration, but no-one was happy with it. Harrison Ford recorded quite a bit of narration under Ridley Scott's direction and neither of them liked it. On the DVD, they play a few outtakes from the sessions, and at the end of one of them Ford just says something like, "Ridley, this is just bizarre. I'm trying here but this is terrible."

Late in post-production, after a disastrous test screening (the workprint version, which has narration only after Batty's death), the producers of the film took over, booted out Ridley Scott, and had someone under their hire write narration. Harrison Ford has said the work was so last minute that the writer was still typing up the narration minutes before they recorded.

Oh, and the happy ending? Those landscape shots are outtakes from the title sequence of "The Shining". Ridley Scott actually got Stanley Kubrick on the phone, who told him where the outtakes were, and Kubrick's only request was that Scott not use any of the footage that was actually in "The Shining".

Back on topic... one of my all-time favorite subtle moments is in "A Prairie Home Companion". Kevin Kline is walking, talking, and opens a champagne bottle. The cork flies off-screen and you hear a faint "Ow!", to which Kline quietly says, "Sorry..." That was the cork hitting Robert Altman.