Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

BonesJackson posted:

Synecdoche New York is full of these small details. I've seen the movie at least three or four times and on each viewing I discover something new. Just a handful I can remember off the top of my head (spoiler tagged, just to be safe):

There's also clues, though it's never explicitly mentioned, that the movie takes place in the aftermath of a violent global cataclysm. It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I remember that there's a scene where Caden mentions the world's population and it's really low, like in the millions. There's also the tanks that are driving through the roads, suggesting some kind of martial law. There are a few others, but I can't recall them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

OnlyJuanMon posted:

From the first page, but what's even more brilliant in this scene is that he refers to Marvin as "the dead friend of the family" about 3 or 4 times, then when it has the flash forward to his wife coming home and catching them, she's black.

I always hated that because it came off as a simpering little "see it's okay that he said those words."

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Leovinus posted:

I think if that had been the intention, they would have brought it up earlier to defuse it during the scene, not as a brief shot you have to be paying attention for. I don't think Tarantino gave the remotest poo poo about saying it and certainly wouldn't have apologized for it. Especially as it's the basis for the funniest thing in the movie, which is a weedy white nerdy guy shouting "storing dead niggers ain't my loving business" at Samuel L. Bad Motherfucker Jackson and Jackson being all apologetic and not just blowing his head off. I love that little moment because it's so subtly ludicrous and played so straight. It's like a moment from a Coens movie.

My problem with that scene stems from a combination of the language and the fact that Tarantino cast himself, the writer and director, to say it. First of all, he's got a stupid face and a stupid voice and he's a bad actor. Second, that he wrote those lines, presumably knowing that he was the one who was going to deliver them, rankles me for reasons that I can't really put into words. I think the whole thing is really uncomfortable. Given that, it's possible that I'm just projecting my own insecurities onto Quentin Tarantino's giant projection screen of a forehead.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Phy posted:

Considering that the Nostromo was literally a refinery (or hauling a refinery, something like that) I think the decision to make it sort of run-down and grubby was exactly the right one, even aside from the pristine nature of most SF films. It's like any industry where the profit motive has priority - you clean where you can, especially on poo poo where grime can gently caress up the company's machinery, otherwise it's your rear end. If someone dies because the grime was obscuring a crack in a process pipe, welp. And if stuff breaks you bodge a fix toot sweet no dogfucking. The motion tracker and flamethrower in Alien were very much in that spirit, now that I think about it.

I like how the flamethrower has become the "signature" Alien weapon, when in fact in the the first one it was made from a bunch of cobbled-together tools, and in the second one it was a half-empty remnant that is scarcely used until Ripley's badass finale. And even there it was literally duct-taped to a more useful gun.

That reminds me. In the one of the last scenes in Aliens, Ripley enters the Queen's chamber, and there's this kind of Mexican standoff between the two of them. Ripley notices that some of the xenomorphs are coming into the room with Murder On Their Minds, and she shoots some fire toward one of them. The aliens retreat. The Queen and Ripley stare each other down, and after a moment one of the eggs opens up. Ripley shoots a look that is all like "the gently caress you gonna try some poo poo like that" and then torches the place. It's a really, really well done scene. It's this incredible silent battle of wills between two obviously intelligent women who are willing to do almost anything to protect their children. Sigourney Weaver manages to pack a detailed and clear threat into a facial expression that lasts for less than a second. Good Movie, Great Scene.

Little Blue Couch has a new favorite as of 06:10 on Jun 18, 2012

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Red1Dex posted:

I believe Ripley just points the flamethrower in the air before firing it, actually NOT specifically at the entering xenomorphs - then she points it straight down at the eggs. She's just demonstrating to the queen what she brought to the fight, and what will happen if they gently caress with her. Then you see the queen look at the xenomorph drones and she gives them some sort of nonverbal signal to retreat, which is when they back off. ...so I think it's actually a cooler scene than you gave it credit for, there's an actual communication exchange between multiple parties, across species.

Yeah I actually did catch all that, and you're right, that's part of what made it so awesome. I should have been clearer.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

BonesJackson posted:

Don't know if I buy that. Certainly possible but I don't know that there's enough to substantiate it.

As far as the closet scene goes, I don't think either Margot or Eli knew they would run into each other there, but Eli's not-so-secret infatuation with the Tenenbaum family (and especially Margot) has led to this sort of circumstance numerous times in the past so it doesn't come entirely as a shock. Sort of like when Mama Baum says that Eli has been sending her his grades and book reviews for years. They all just brush it off as Eli being Eli.

Yeah no way, Margot is clearly calling Eli in pretty much all the scenes where she disappears or is actually on the phone. Throughout the whole movie, she only honestly talks to Eli and Richie, and she comes off as kind of scared of actually talking to Richie. The actual breadth of the Eli/Margot relationship is strongly hinted at but never outright stated.

Okay I was looking up Richie Tenenbaum on Wikipedia and I just learned this thing:

Wikipedia posted:

He drinks Bloody Marys with pepper throughout the movie, so much so that he carries a capped pepper shaker in his jacket pocket

Is that a thing? I really don't remember that.

Little Blue Couch has a new favorite as of 06:31 on Jun 29, 2012

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
"The Boston gig has been cancelled. I wouldn't worry about it. It's not a big college town."

This Is Spinal Tap draws its whole humor from subtlety. I'm sitting here talking to my roommate about how this movie is amazingly spot-the-gently caress-on. Christ, the scene where they're talking about how the cover of the album is inappropriate, both David and Nigel have visible herpes.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
The early scene in Looper, wherein Kid Blue condescendingly describes the mechanics of the blunderbuss, sets up a couple different scenes. He says something about how a blunderbuss can't miss within fifteen paces, while a gat has accuracy and range. This is exactly why he dies in the end - he can't aim because of the dust, but Joe can't miss. The last scene where Young Joe is standing in the field impotently, with a loaded gun, knowing that there's no way he can close the distance to his older self but is in perfect range of his own bod. Talk about Chekhov's fuckin gun.

There were a couple other things that related to the way time travel affected Old and Young Joe. Old Joe hesitated and pleaded with Sara to move because he now had fond memories of her, due to Young Joe's time spent at the farm. Old Joe had it in him to kill a kid, because he had a long checkered life, and because he had seen firsthand how bad things would get. When Young Joe goes into the field to kill Cid, he realizes it's not even an option for him.

And I guess you could get some mileage out of the wholeKid Blue being a younger Abe theory. Abe really does seem to try to keep him out of harm's way, and the kid seems both weirdly desperate for Abe's approval and really freaked out by the sight of Abe's dead body.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Okay it's not a movie, but I'm watching ep 19 of the second season of Breaking Bad, and: the server who serves breakfast to Jane and her dad, during the opening credits, is wearing a shirt and an apron that are the exact same color as the opening credits. Also this whole Jane story is extremely sad and horrible :[ that's not a small thing but it's true

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

KozmoNaut posted:

Everything in Breaking Bad is sad and horrible, no exceptions.

Walter White is a monster.

No, he cares about Jesse :[

edit: holy poo poo

edit: what a bad episode jesus christ

edit: that was awful oh my god

Little Blue Couch has a new favorite as of 13:39 on Jan 21, 2013

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Heres Hank posted:

What kind of hosed up TV sorcery is this?

It was episode 19 of the show overall, my bad.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Drive has been talked about to death, but I just saw it so screw you. There's a scene early on where the driver is watching cartoons with Benicio. I can't remember the exact details, but the driver says "Is he a bad guy?" Benicio replies "Yeah," and the driver says "How do you know?" "Because he's a shark," says Benicio to the dude with a scorpion on his jacket.

THE JORY posted:

Not sure if it's deliberate but when the driver pulls the lamp over his head it looks like a halo. I think it makes sense because he's like the family's guardian angel.

That's got to be intentional, but the halo is sitting askance, at a weird angle. If the driver is an angel he's certainly a nontraditional angel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Did you know that in an effort to bring verisimilitude to his role as Sonny in "I, Robot," Alan Tudyk didn't blink at all during the entire motion capture process, or the vocal recording.