Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Atticus Bongman posted:

Club Dread's legendary machete-wielding psycho, Phil Coletti, is known as Machete Phil.

From the first page - is this just because he should have been called "Machete Coletti"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hot Fuzz is Chekov's Gun, The Film. Fascist/Hag, "Big cop in a small town", "Ever fired two guns while flying through the air and shouting 'aaargh'", etc.

My favorite bit from that one was the custody officers, Sgts. Turner. One Sgt. Turner, played by Bill Bailey, is well-groomed, works day shift, and reads Iain Banks, a Scottish literary fiction author. The other, played by Bill Bailey, is unkempt, works at night, and reads Iain M. Banks, a Scottish science fiction writer.

Both authors are the same guy as well.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

I wish they would just make a sequel already! It sounds weird to say it, but as far as crossover appeal, Master and Commander was the best Star Trek movie since the Wrath of Khan. Russel Crowe said he wants to do a sequel and the other books in the series are just as good!!

I've always heard that it is really expensive and time-consuming to film ship movies, especially at sea. The Pirates movies are kind of anomalous, but it helps that the first one made three times as much as Master and Commander.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Slip posted:

Oh man, I never even considered that. I always assumed it was a brilliant touch done by the designers themselves. Looking at the timing of when that movie came out, everything was so shiny, even with the recently released Star Wars (excluding the Millenium Falcon), and then all of a sudden there's this movie that says, "Yeah, it's the future, but everybody's used to it so it all looks like poo poo. Just like it should." It's honestly one of my favorite aspects of the original Alien.
Considering that the Nostromo was literally a refinery (or hauling a refinery, something like that) I think the decision to make it sort of run-down and grubby was exactly the right one, even aside from the pristine nature of most SF films. It's like any industry where the profit motive has priority - you clean where you can, especially on poo poo where grime can gently caress up the company's machinery, otherwise it's your rear end. If someone dies because the grime was obscuring a crack in a process pipe, welp. And if stuff breaks you bodge a fix toot sweet no dogfucking. The motion tracker and flamethrower in Alien were very much in that spirit, now that I think about it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

fuckpot posted:

He parried the blow with his neck.

edit: or do you mean the kick? He caught it between his legs and then flipped her. I think she would actually have to break through his defenses to count it as landing a blow.

I thought he trapped her claw between his chin and chest. Ain't you people ever used that as a third hand carrying a bunch of stuff?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Be kinda like Indiana Jones practicing what he taught at the start of The Last Crusade, and finding the Ark of the Covenant through careful research, painstaking excavation and recording, and otherwise consummate archaeological work.

Y'know, like his dad almost did.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

plainswalker75 posted:

King Candy's voice is acutally a spot-on Ed Wynn impersonation, whom you might recognize best as the Mad Hatter in Alice and Wonderland.

I knew I recognized that voice! I was going to look it up after the movie, but then I got thrown when I saw Tudyk in the credits.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Both Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are Astoundingly Self-Referential: The Film of the Book, and I'm expecting World's End to be no different.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is it still a cavalcade of grinding depression? Of people acting terribly unto eachother and only bad things ever happening to people?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ferrule posted:

That's because Speilberg showed the CGI tests of the T-Rex to the visual effects model guy and told him "I think you're out of a job" and the model maker replied "don't you mean extinct?" and Speilberg liked it so much he put it in the movie and kept the guy on as a visual effects supervisor etc.

That model guy was Phil Tippett, credited in the movie as "Dinosaur Supervisor".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's not really a subtle thing, but every time I watch Raiders of the Lost Ark, I develop a new appreciation for the giant barechested German airplane mechanic. I mean, he doesn't know Indy's an American, doesn't know he's trying to steal the Ark, doesn't really care that someone's trying to steal the plane and is blowing up the scenery behind him. He just really, really wants a bare knuckle fistfight. He keeps letting Indy get back on his feet, so he can Do More Fistfight. And I gotta say, I can respect that. He's stranded out in the middle of the desert, probably hasn't had a decent punch-up in months, and along comes this wiry guy in a leather jacket who seems like he's up for a donnybrook, and now Chesty Von Steakfist is in his element.

And then he gets chewed up by a propeller.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Android Apocalypse posted:

Also, AFAIK there aren’t that many famous female Renaissance artists known enough to name a Ninja Turtle after.

I suppose "Kara Vaggio" would be right out

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ehi, Memento, puoi leggere?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is that the one with the insane-for-the-time car barrel roll stunt, and then they foleyed in a cheesy slide-whistle sound effect for it?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunken Baker posted:

The water didn't kill the aliens it was the chemicals in the water. The little girls says constantly that there's chemicals in water. It's just War of the Worlds with tainted tap water instead of the common cold.

Earth ironically saved by fracking! THAT'S the Shyamalan Twist!

But I think both the "It's demons" and "It's contaminated" theories are trying to bend over backwards to rescue an otherwise good movie from a stupid fridge premise. Demons moreso than contamination.

I still like it a lot because Greys are what creep me out, going back to when I was a kid watching Close Encounters, and it's fun being spooked by things that scare you when they don't actually exist, and it's more fun watching Joaquin Phoenix haul off and smoke one with a baseball bat.

(I also liked The Fourth Kind and Dark Skies.)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Who keeps track of that? Why?? "Exactly how full of bastards is this city?"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Matt Damon unexpectedly appearing in movies is a trend I could get used to. I somehow managed to avoid any mention of his casting in Interstellar before I saw it, and when Mann woke up out of the hypersleep coffin, I was like, "hang on, is that-?"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ultron is the real sympathetic villain because he spent five seconds on the internet and decided humanity needed killin'

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ZeusCannon posted:

I was intrigued when I heard the villain was the culture

I could stand a Consider Phlebas movie

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

(Well, after he became more than a Deathstroke knockoff with Wolverine knockoff stapled on)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Don't you mean Gobbles?

I'm just going to take a minute to put an idea into your head.

A pet gerbil named Gosef.

Gosef Jerbils.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Aleph Null posted:

I had a rewatch of Speed Racer a couple of months ago.

Still good and fun.

nonja

Oh god, I've found my people

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I liked him on Supernatural, but didn't he die or become a werewolf or some poo poo?

or was that his character

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

TFE is a trash movie for trash people and I will loving fight anyone about it

More like oldjoyless

E:fb on the followup though

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
You can also get a Jarritos, unless you want the tamarind which my wife always does and they never carry

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

I like this post, its good, but Speed Racer is unambiguously first and foremost a story about a kid who wants to grow up and pilot a two ton death machine to destroy all those who oppose them just for pure art. The end of the film is a master class in editing where child Speed's fantasy and adult Speed's reality overlap while adult Speed defeats the last racers between themselves and the finish line it is revealed that the previously unshown final panels of the racing comic child Speed is drawing are of him savagely obliterating the rival race cars

In any other film you would be aghast at such a revelation, but in Speed Racer where the enemy is explicitly Capitalism you are cheering as a murderous, unhinged lunatic fully disassociates from reality and destroys two cars with the drivers still inside for absolutely no reason except their own personal joy.

It's been a while since I saw the whole thing, but I thought the movie went out of its way earlier to show you that crashing racers get encased in a quick-setting foam to prevent injury and death. Though I may be conflating that with a similar scene in Demolition Man. Speed's also got the line, "Get that weak poo poo off my track" - maybe he just hates inferior cars, built not by tight-knit families to win races, but by bloated corporations to throw races.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

I didn't like Speed Racer when i first saw it even though I loved the cartoons growing up. I watched it again recently with my 7 year old and he got a real kick out of it. Somehow seeing it through his eyes made me appreciate it.

Weird that it's coming up in the subtle movie moments thread though. There's nothing subtle about it
We don't have a "Delightful Broad Strokes In Movies" thread so here is we

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Netflix thinks nobody would voluntarily claim to be from Ohio, so it must be legit

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alternative pants posted:

At least 24 Ohioans hated the place so much they became astronauts to escape it.

One of those astronauts: Neil Armstrong, the first Ohioan to ever set foot on a celestial body with no goddamn Ohio on it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Queen Combat posted:

However, he was still in the vehicle with Fred Haise, who flew fighters out of Mansfield Lahm Air National Guard Base in Ohio, and was stationed there previously. Michael Collins of Apollo 11 had the highest average altitude orbiting the moon in the CSM (with a 119 minute orbital period, versus 117-118 of the others) for any landed Apollo mission, qualifying him as not just the loneliest human to have ever lived, but also the one that could get the furthest away from any Ohioans.

Of course, Jim Lovell himself was from Cleveland.

So you could look at it as, Jim was so desperate to get away from Ohio that not only was he one of the first people on the opposite side of the moon from Ohio, but he also contrived to be one of the farthest persons away from Ohio, period.

Or you could look at it as, pity poor Jack Swigert. One of three people to make it as far away from Ohio as any human being has ever managed, and he's still trapped in a freezing cold tin can... with two friggin Ohioans.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Not subtle so much as I don't get why they did this and didn't really think about it until now, but... the credits in Predator were shot like they were an 80's sitcom

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baron von Eevl posted:

That makes me think, it actually kinda would have ruled if Thanos snapped his finger, the gauntlet splintered and gems burst and he dissolved, a faint smile on his face. Like okay if he took his little portal to his rice farm or whatever at least you could hypothetically go find him and beat him up. He dies and the gauntlet self destructs? That's it dude.

Haven't seen it since this summer but doesn't he breathe a little sigh of relief or some shot, like he was totally expecting to get blinked out of existence?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

I feel like Idiocracy is one of the 'yellow flag' favorite movies, too. There's legitimate things to enjoy in it, but you REALLY need to learn if someone's taking it in a eugenics direction or not.

I read The Marching Morons by Cyril Kornbluth when I was very young, so when Idiocracy came out, I was kind of, I dunno, over it? Like, both are extremely similar in their premise and settings.

Major differences: in Morons, there are a very few very intelligent people left, secretly running the world but falling farther and farther behind. They enlist the regular schlub from the past into helping them solve the too-many-idiots problem. Schlub's solution is to launch everyone they can into the sun, selling it to his victims as a free trip to sunny Venus. So they launch most of the earth's population into the sun, and the story ends with the smart people grabbing the regular schlub and launching him into the sun as well, because what kind of monster thinks of a plan like "Launch the earth's population into the sun"?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MichiganCubbie posted:

This is also true. There was a comment like four or five pages back about people who can definitively say that they only have one "favorite" movie. As I'm sitting here I've thought of ten more that should be considered favorites. If I see Blues Brothers on, I'll watch it until the end, and I've seen it dozens of times.

There's movies that I think of as my "favorite" that I haven't seen in ages, because I watched them so much on tape that I'm a little sick of them. And then I'll watch Hunt for Red October or Twister straight through if they're on TV.

I always harbored an urge to, if I ever met Philip Seymour Hoffman, to tell him that Dusty from Twister was my favorite role of his, and see how disgusted with me he got.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
And not wanting no trouble

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

I watched that on the plane last week. Still a fantastic film.

Harrison Ford's "Fly, yes! Land? NO!" has only improved with time

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Kinda wish it was a rejected drawing because the idiot draftsperson used 1st angle instead of 3rd angle projection

That might be a little too esoteric though

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

1stGear posted:

This is basically every "one-take" film or show. If you're know what the tricks they use to hide cuts are, it becomes pretty obvious.

They're still typically really impressive, particularly if they involve lots of choreography. The six-minute long take from True Detective Season One remains my personal favorite. They claim it was genuinely shot in one take, though they did have a couple of spots they could have used for cuts if needed.

There's also the school shooting from Canadian cop drama 19-2 (trigger warning if y'all need it, it's a school shooting)
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2f6jgz

Couple of things: 19-2 was originally a Québécois cop show, that got adapted for the Anglo audience. The guy who directed the French version of this episode also got brought back in for the English. Also, the first guy outta the car is Jared Keeso, one of the series leads; you probably know him better as Wayne from Letterkenny.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

Québécois

I'd like to give my phone autocomplete a belated thank you for putting the accent aigues into Quebecois

Something which my actual keyboard can never be bothered to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pilchenstein posted:

The halo jump in the latest Mission Impossible is a single shot. It's not super long compared to some but it's still impressive for a stunt, especially since they probably just threw Tom Cruise out of an actual plane to film it. :v:

Edit: there's also that classic short film where they just stuck a camera on the front of a car and had a racing driver tear arse through paris for ten minutes, I forget the name.

C'était un rendez-vous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgPoiKiMRFQ

(unfortunately the sound is overdubbed; the original car is a Mercedes V8 but the engine sounds are from a Ferrari V12)