Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Wreck It Ralph had a lot of little references here and there. Many sound effects were pulled from games, and the graffiti on one wall said "All Your Base Are Belong To Us." I spent the first thirty minutes only half paying attention to the actual story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Yeah, I'll take Tommy Lee Jones being eaten by a giant alien cockroach over peace talks.

The mind races with all the possibilities that spoiler tag allows for...

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

It IS in Batman, though, and king candy and joker kind of laugh the same...

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

John Oliver posted a portion of that video during one of his Last Week Tonight segments a few years ago. Banks's reaction is great, as is the film's implication that menstruation makes girls better at bowling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa9Q6GvT-Qs

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Finally saw It. I had it paused at the beginning and noticed that pennywise has a lazy eye, so during the whole opening scene, he is looking at Georgie and you; at the end, his right eye (the one reserved for Georgie) is the one that gets stabbed, so the eye that has been watching you, the viewer, is the one still functioning.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

VanSandman posted:

Yeah it’s great. It tempts him with power and dominion and he’s just like ‘No thanks I want a little garden and a cozy home with a cute hobbit girl.’

It’s fairly easy to do a Marxist reading of the Lord of the Rings where the working class are the truly virtuous and the nobility - among which are Frodo and Bilbo, though they are only noble hobbits - alone possess the true capacity for sin on a grand scale.

I was curious so I looked up the actual bit in the book.

quote:

As he stood there, even though the Ring was not on him but hanging by its chain about his neck, he felt himself enlarged, as if he were robed in a huge distorted shadow of himself, and vast and ominous threat halted upon the walls of Mordor. He felt that he had from now on only two choices: to forbear the Ring, though it would torment him; or to claim it, and challenge the Power that sat in its dark hold beyond the valley of shadows.

Already the Ring tempted him, gnawing his will and reason. Wild fantasies arose in his mind; and he saw Samwise the Strong, Hero of the Age, striding with a flaming sword across the darkened land, and armies flocking to his call as he marched to the overthrow of Barad-dur And then all the clouds rolled away, and the white sun shone, and at his command the vale of Gorgoroth became a garden of flowers and trees and brought forth fruit. He had only to put on the Ring and claim it for his own, and all this could be.

In that hour of trial it was the love of his master that helped most to hold him firm; but also deep down in him lived still unconquered his plain hobbit-sense: he knew in the core of his heart that he was not large enough to bear such a burden, even if such visions were not a mere cheat to betray him. The one small garden of a free gardener was all his need and due, not a garden swollen to a realm; his own hands to use, not the hands of others to command

For content about an equally groundbreaking movie, much of The Emoji Movie can be seen pretty easily as an allegory for suppression of homosexuality and gay conversion and coming out and stuff; at one point the hacker character looks up the main kid's birthday which is October 10th 2002, which coincides with National Coming Out Day and the fifteenth anniversary of the first public display of AIDS Memorial Quilt in Washington DC. Also, Gene's dad says "we'll always have Paris" which sounds like a random pop culture remark, but it is pretty fitting because both him and Rick from Casablanca are characters that appear to be completely neutral but actually have strong emotions and sentimentality that they keep hidden. Yes I'm putting spoiler tags for the emoji movie and yes I thought about it more than I should've.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

what r ur opinions on the goofy movie?

It's about society's resistance to acknowledge the existence of Bigfoot

(I was really drunk when I watched the emoji movie and I thought it would be funny if I wrote an SMG-level analysis of it but then when I got sober I realized it was actually not a good idea)

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Crusade is best, and Crystal Skull is for definitely better than Temple of Doom. Main complaints against Crystal Skull are unrealistic scenes (nuking the fridge), Shia LaBeouf, and aliens, but in Temple of Doom Indiana Jones rides an inflatable raft out of a fuckin' plane, Willie Scott mostly just screams constantly, and yeah okay maybe aliens are a little weird but whatever. Not saying Crystal is necessarily good, but Doom is worse.

The Tarzan scene is indefensible though.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A conehead appeared in Cyndi Lauper's Girl's Just Want To Have Fun music video and that's ancient history as far as kids today are concerned.

They even had an animated show in 1983, a full decade before the movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imvgc8-nRlM

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I finally rewatched Quantum of Solace last night, and noticed a fun little gimmick that someone else has thankfully already uploaded to YouTube. When Bond is talking to M on the phone and asking them to look someone up, he says "Greene, G - R - Double E - N - E", and the computer starts to type "GRWE", thinking the "double" was "Double-U" before correcting itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_2hroyGKSs

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Apparently another part of the agreement was that Daffy and Donald had to be equally good at playing the piano.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prx4-erFlPc&t=40s

Loved this movie as a kid and then one day I read on the internet that Donald Duck calls Daffy Duck the n word in this scene (about 44 seconds into that video). Apparently he actually says "doggone stubborn little I'M GONNA-[quacking noises]" but it's also kind of fitting that Disney's white duck would be racist against black ducks in the 1940s.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Needles being a pretty dope metalhead name, but also the person who'd needle McFly into doing bad things was something I didn't appreciate until the uptenth viewing.

Biff was the person who George biffed in the face

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

No, that's known as Sun Tannen lotion

:laffo:

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Him bringing up that date without realizing could mean that that point in time inherently contains some sort of cosmic significance, almost as if it were the temporal junction point of the entire space-time continuum. On the other hand, it could just be an amazing coincidence

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Listening to the I Was There Too where they're interviewing the Catherine Martin actress from Silence of the Lambs and I totally never got the symbolism of Martin walking out of Jame Gumb's house holding the white dog like it was Starling saving the lamb.

I love when the type of poo poo I would make up in college essays is intentional.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Season 2 Episode 4 of Mindhunter (not a spoiler):

During the interview with Elmer Wayne Henley, when Elmer gets upset because he thinks the interviewer is insinuating that he was gay, he stands up and yells a few slurs while an arrow on the wall is pointing right at him.

Once he sits down, the label is still there (and I just noticed the position of the prisoners outside the room :iiasm:)

but after he calms down, the camera angle changes.

I just watched Sharp Objects and that was full of this kind of stuff so it really stuck out to me.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Not a lot of people want to work with Mike Myers anymore, he's well known for being a narcissistic paranoid rear end in a top hat. He tried to minimize Dana Carvey's role in the first Wayne's World because he realized he was simply funnier. He could not understand why the head banging scene was funny and wanted it cut out. He prevented Penelope Spheeris from directing the sequel because he didn't like her. He thought Lorne Michaels would be able to get him Frederico Fellini as a director for a movie he wanted to make. Etc.

Aw man that's disappointing, I thought he was cool.

My aunt went to high school with Jay Roach and keeps (kept? idk) in touch with him; according to her, he had said after Goldmember that they wanted to keep making Austin Powers movies until they got stale (like Bond movies were at the time). Oh well.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

I still like Meyers. He just got way too famous for his limited shtick. He's probably happier now without Wayne's World and Austin Powers expectations.

Dana Carvey is a comic genius though and it sucks his post-SNL career was kind of meh.

EDIT: the backstory on Carvey's TV show is pretty weird. It was originally supposed to be sponsored by a company, kind of like how old timey variety shows worked. Pepsi agreed to do it, but backed out at the last minute. Since they couldn't find a replacement they just titled each show as sponsored by a different Pepsi product like Mountain Dew or Taco Bell. The show got decent ratings, but ran out of money by the 6th episode, at which point they titled it sponsored by Szechuan Dynasty, a local restaurant they liked.

Too Funny To Fail on hulu is great for those who haven't seen it. If I remember right (which is iffy), they didn't actually need the sponsorship, they just thought it would be funny to be sponsored by something different each week. Everything around that show was a train wreck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfDjnAdczQI

Friend has a new favorite as of 22:17 on Nov 14, 2019

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Home Alone 2: when Kevin drew his map of the building with all his traps for Operation Ho Ho Ho, he drew it on a blueprint of the building he's in, and rolls out out over a stack of other blueprints, presumably one that would've matched what he just drew himself.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

freeedr posted:

Haha, nah but Kevin’s dad spends tens of thousands of dollars on Christmas every year

Not that they aren't clearly wealthy, but Uncle Rob paid for them to visit Paris, and that Florida motel didn't look like it set him back too much
:goonsay:

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I guess I'm crazy because I always feel like Gonzo and Rizzo just break the momentum of the movie every time they show up.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Eldritch BiLast posted:

Wasn't it Buzz that yelled, since he was the one that answered the door for the bill?

He gets the bill, smirks and says "oh daaaaad" and then you hear the dad scream off-screen

For content (not sure if this really counts), Wanda Sykes was supposed to play the manager in Elf, but couldn't for whatever reason so Faizon Love took the role.
His name tag still says Wanda.

Friend has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Dec 22, 2021

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Warbird posted:

That makes me wonder if every country/society had a “War of the Worlds” incident as people gained mass exposure to radio plays or tv or whatever.

Criminal podcast had an episode about Ghostwatch, and their very next episode was about a radio station in Ecuador hearing about the War of the Worlds incident and thinking "hey this sounds like a good idea."

It reeaally wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

The steel mill scenes that were cut in Terminator 2: Judgement Day did answer the moment when the T-1000 had that T-800 exoskeleton scan up after beating Arnold, tho I don't mind it being cut as it did slow the pace down.

Is been awhile, what is the moment/answer here? I don't remember either scene you're talking about